Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 05-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
AdamChoudhry

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Water sucked up by Injen CAI HELP!

So I was on the highway and it starts down pouring. Flash flooding and I had to drive through about 6 inches of water and after about a 1/8 mile I started losing power and it sounded like it might stall. I pulled over and had my car towed to my apartment complex. I had to start the car to park it and It started right away with no engine light. Then it was a little shaky and almost sounded like it had a ghost cam or something. Engine light came back on.

Questions:

I know it isn't hydro-locked but will it be if I try driving it?

I'm stranded at college with no tools. Is it possible that it will dry out by itself?

Any input is highly appreciated. Thanks

PS I do have the hydrophobic shield installed
Old 05-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Get that thing towed to a shop asap and DO NOT START IT!!!! The worst thing you can do to an engine that might have water in it, is to start it, it will blow up your engine real quick. The fact that yours has changed in sound is not good. I would get it looked at asap before more damage is done and do not start it. Good luck.

This is one f the reasons that our CAI had the filter positioned in the stock location, I think CAI's with filters really low to the ground are asking for trouble when you never know what the roads or weather may throw at you. Good luck man.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Damn this has me worried now, I live in Washington state too =/
You didnt remove your wheel liner or anything like that either did you?

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
ramairetransam
Internet Car Tech

Drives: 99 formula
you got the maf wet. unplug the maf and see if it drives easy . dont beat the hell out of it with the maf unplugged .

I know you got the maf wet and they are very sensative .
ramairetransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairetransam View Post
you got the maf wet. unplug the maf and see if it drives easy . dont beat the hell out of it with the maf unplugged .

So you are 100% sure in this diagnosis Dr House?
Old 05-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
MagnumForceGB

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6 / 2014 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
So you are 100% sure in this diagnosis Dr House?
If there is 5 minutes left in the episode it is correct.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
Spartan01

HA! Nice!

I mean i am not trying to bea d!ck, but we are talking about seriosu catostrophic damage here, an they guy says it is the MAF sensor.
It could be, but the only way to test would be to dry the MAF, reinstall, and start the dacr, if he is wrong...
Old 05-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
MagnumForceGB

I know the Mazda guys would remove their spark plugs and spin the motor on their rotaries when they flooded.

He could remove the intake manifold and see if it is wet. But from the sound of it he doesn't have access to do that. If the MAF does get wet it will feel like you blew your engine, I accidentally entered into boost when it was raining and sucked some water in. Mine ran fine after a few minutes.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
Spartan01

Yeah, but flooding a rotary wankle engine is not necessarilly the same as flooding a conventional engine.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LT/RS
Well, water forms a sort of seal... the engine doesn't just magically suck up the water, it has to be close enough to the top of the filter to form a suction. So, it clearly isn't hydrolocked, but water is somewhere. I would go with drying / using MAF cleaner on the MAF first.
Mods: VMAX Ported Throttle Body, K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Solo High Flow Cats, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Caliper Conversion, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, Custom 2.5"/3" Hybrid Magnaflow Exhaust

Next: Wheels / Tires, or boost.

DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
MagnumForceGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Yeah, but flooding a rotary wankle engine is not necessarilly the same as flooding a conventional engine.
Yeah, I was just throwing that out there, see if water shoots out when you turn the engine. That would let you know if you are full of water. But the best way is to take things apart which he can't.

Water sucks anyways, beer is better for the engine.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Sales @ CAI Inc

OP,

No way in Gods Green Earth would I just use a little MAF cleaner and try starting to see if that works, if it didn't you may have just blew up your engine when you start it again. Could have water vapor got on the MAF, sure, but if it traveled that far it could have also got into the motor. Unless you have the space, tools, and know how to properly inspect everything, clean/dry the intake, and at very least drain the motor and flush it etc. no way would I chance it and try to start it again. Did your MAF probably get wet and mess up readings enough yes, but there may also be water in the motor or at very least intake manifold that you are going to want to take care of properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairetransam View Post

Just because he got the MAF wet does not mean that some water did not also get ingested into the motor, just cleaning the MAF and starting it for a blind test run is an awfully big risk on a $30k + vehicle. Why take that risk to save a few hundred dollars or even a thousand dollars getting it properly drained, inspected, and tested?
Old 05-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
I think CAI's with filters really low to the ground are asking for trouble when you never know what the roads or weather may throw at you. Good luck man.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
If you don't have the tools to do a proper inspection, then have it towed to a shop and let them do it.
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
DSX_Camaro

The vehicle has started once already. It isn't hydrolocked, we know that. MAF cleaner is hydrophilic, so that's where that argument comes from. And upper induction cleanings can be done with just straight water while the engine is running, so small amounts of water are not catastrophic.

The OP has stated they're in college... spending the diagnostic fee only to find out the MAF was went would kill me, personally.

Not that having a shop check it isn't the obvious choice - it is. But there's a lot to consider.
Mods: VMAX Ported Throttle Body, K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Solo High Flow Cats, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Caliper Conversion, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, Custom 2.5"/3" Hybrid Magnaflow Exhaust

Old 05-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #16
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
The vehicle has started once already. It isn't hydrolocked, we know that. MAF cleaner is hydrophilic, so that's where that argument comes from. And upper induction cleanings can be done with just straight water while the engine is running, so small amounts of water are not catastrophic.

The OP has stated they're in college... spending the diagnostic fee only to find out the MAF was went would kill me, personally.

Not that it isn't the obvious choice - it is. But there's a lot to consider.
But he doesn't have the tools to remove the MAF. And if he has water on the MAF it may be in the intake manifold just waiting to get into a cylinder if he does more than just start it and let it idle (actually puts a load on it).
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #17
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5Legend View Post
Damn this has me worried now, I live in Washington state too =/
You didnt remove your wheel liner or anything like that either did you?
I am curious about this. as I've used low air filter CAI's for many years, and never even heard of anyone sucking up water. unless they drove into a lake. although, these years have been in cali and las vegas. lol not the most rainiest places
Old 05-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #18
DSX_Camaro

Both true, we don't know if the car was moved (he did state that he started it to park it, but not if he actually parked it) and he doesn't have tools...

Old 05-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #19
jewel25

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
First off driving through water is very dangerous and even 6 inches can cost you life.

I also agree with the ones saying to tow your car and having someone check it out. When I lived in Charleston, SC (which if you are not familiar is only 1-10 feet above sea level) I would wait out the flash flooding. I rather be an hour late for work then needing to replace the engine.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #20
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
But he doesn't have the tools to remove the MAF. And if he has water on the MAF it may be in the intake manifold just waiting to get into a cylinder if he does more than just start it and let it idle (actually puts a load on it).
^^

The fact that he started it after not knowing if he sucked in water or not tells me he's not the one to take on this job alone. I'm not trying to be rude at all, I'm just being honest and realistic cause I don't want the guy to blow up his car thinking that he cleaned his MAF and everything is now ok. It's all about risk vs. cost, and unless he can take on the risk of possibly ruining his entire motor, he can chalk it up to a life lesson and should pay to have it looked at professionally. Otherwise things may get a lot more expensive for him. I wish him the best, but think he needs a professional for this situation given the information we currently have on hand.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:32 PM   #21
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Please get that baby towed to the dealer. Engines are not cheap to buy or rebuild. It is simply not worth the risk of starting it up again. I speak from experience having lost a pretty new car to an urban flash flood while I was driving. Living where I do, and my car being my daily driver for the first 2 years, this is the reason an Injen intake was not even a consideration for me. Good luck OP.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #22
c_cook94

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 1LT
If he has already started it's definitely not hydrolocked. Clean the MAF and you'll be fine. I have been running injen intake for 2 years no problem.
c_cook94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #23
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_cook94 View Post
If he has already started it's definitely not hydrolocked. Clean the MAF and you'll be fine. I have been running injen intake for 2 years no problem.
But he could of already bent some stuff if it is running rough. Maybe not enough to blow the engine yet but running it with something bent will finish it off.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #24
PieNsky

Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Did it drive through the water OK and then did you depress the accelerator pedal somewhat more than moderately AFTER going through the water and then did the check engine light flicker on and off right when the throttle was opened? Was it worse when you gave it more pedal and almost OK with no throttle while driving? If the answers all Yes, it may be OK. You may have gotten the filter wet and sucked up droplets of water when you accelerated away.
I am taking my Injen off. It isn't worth the risk. I have had it shudder bad enough I have to pull over on the interstate and wait for it to clear up. A hard rain and throw in an 18 wheeler spraying water everywhere, and you are screwed. Others have sounded off about their problems too. At least I got mine on sale.

Last edited by PieNsky; 05-03-2014 at 12:14 AM.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #25
AdamChoudhry

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Thanks for all the input.

No I did not remove the wheel well for those who asked.

Does anyone have an idea how much it would cost to have it looked at/diagnosed?