Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
What do I need to drop a used LLT into my car?

Hey guys so it has been a while now since my ordeal and can not find concrete answers on swapping in a V8.

I have sourced a 2010 LLT (I have to confirm the vin to ensure its a 2010 but it does seem to be a 2010)
Now my question is what do I need in order for the swap to work. Can I just drop the motor? Do I need the ECM, or the vin of the car or will the vin on the motor which I assume matches the car its from work?

If anyone can respond quick, I can purchase this motor and be done with this engine fiasco
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
alice

Drives: 2010 camaro limited edition turbo
TJ, I preface my answer by saying that I am 99% sure it will work. I leave 1% unsure do to maintaining good relationships with others because I have not done, exactly what you are doing. Always risk with these late models.

With that being said, first, be sure your transmission is the same as the one coming out of the donor, ie,. auto or stick. Second, the complete engine assembly, which should include all the engine wiring should bolt right in and plug into the body plugs (2). The engine assembly does not have ID numbers to worry about. It's the ECM and all the body control modules in the car that have the coded numbers, so you would use your ECM. Theoretically, it should be plug and play. Good to go.

Always record the VIN from the donor if you would need it for some strange reason. If you can, it would be real nice to get the ECM, as well. That should be able to be used down the road for a spare, of course, a GM programmer would have to change the VIN to match yours, if you were to ever need to use it.

You should not encounter any issues from my knowledge, to date. Put the engine in, use your ECM and plug in the (2) body plugs and start the car. The only issue that I see you might run into is if any options are different on the donor car, then a mobile GM programmer would need to make some adjustments. Thoroughly check all options out for comparison. The price is certainly right!! The miles are awesome.

If anyone on the forum has any additional information to dispute what I have suggested or to add to this post, please feel free to do so. I am not perfect or know everything. I only want to help and assist my fellow Camaro buddies. To my knowledge, this should work. Hope this helps
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
TJ91

Alice
I honestly can not thank you enough for taking the time to post all this info. Sure do appreciate it!

Heres the problen...the motor is attached to a auto and my car is a manual.

Does that mean this wont work?
He says he has the wiring harness and ecm as well
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 04-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
alice

To the best of my knowledge, I think it still should work. Not 100% but close. Your ECM is programmed for your tranny, so don't believe you have an issue. Your ECM still is talking to your manual tranny. Remember, you are not using the donor automatic transmission. Should be OK but get any wiring and any other parts you can, rather or not you use them.

Your ECM is what you MUST use, not the donor. Really should be fine.

Remember, YOUR ECM is programmed to talk to YOUR Transmission and all of YOUR body control modules in YOUR car, so nothing changes in that respect. It does not know or recognize that you changed the base engine. All your electronics are virgin to your vehicle.

Last edited by alice; 04-15-2016 at 07:07 PM. Reason: adde info
Old 04-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #5
TJ91

Alice thanks alot man im going to try and grab that motor today!
Old 04-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
alice

It's a great deal if the miles are correct. Very unusual. Keep us posted.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
TJ91

Yea the guys story doesnt add up but I see the motor monday so ill keep you guys posted!
Old 04-21-2016, 07:02 AM   #8
alice

What happened, did the deal fall through?
Old 04-21-2016, 04:49 PM   #9
TJ91

The guys story on the motor didnt add up
First he said he bought it from the junk yard
Then he said he bought it from a guy who bought it from the junk yard
Has no papers for it
And didnt have the motor at his house, he had it stored somewhere else but brought it to his house.

So I kind of got sketched out it seemed a little odd.
I have a friend coming tonight to do a compression test and check over the motor.

I did try to start the motor it turned and wanted to fire but wouldnt fire.

So hoping we can see whats wrong with the motor today
Old 04-21-2016, 05:58 PM   #10
alice

Be very, very careful. This sounds shady. Based on what you have said, I would pass. I have purchased many motors from LKQ, with papers, milage and they have always been honest. Big selection, delivered to your door and decent prices. I would tbink about this.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:53 PM   #11
TJ91

Alice were doing a compression tesr right now
Getting 130 on all cylinders my buddies thinks I just need to do the chains thats all

What do you think
All i have is p008 code
Old 04-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #12
TJ91

SO I feel really stupid....But I am going to post this still....

So my motor isn't blown. In fact, we did a compression test. Got 130 across the board. Cleaned the plugs, boosted the car and it ran. LOL The smile on my face is unreal at the moment.
Car is giving the P0008 code so I am having the chains done I believe on Monday. My buddy and I are going to change all plugs and flush all fluids as well.

Even though I am mad about having to change the chains, it looks like I will be paying 1500 for the entire service vs the 2600 GM quoted me for just the chains.

Just want to thank everyone for their help, especially Alice, truly appreciate it.
Going to get this car fixed, buffed, and going to treat it to a new set of wheels !
Old 04-22-2016, 04:48 AM   #13
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Hey Guys, my 2010 LLT engine was stolen, when I was visiting Toronto 2 weeks ago. Have you heard of any for sale lately?

Kappa
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:24 AM   #14
alice

Great to hear! Ya know, I somewhat misunderstood your posts. I thought you were running a compression test on the engine purchase you were considering and not yours. Now that I understand that, I certainly agree to go ahead and repair your factory engine. Compression test looks good to me. And of course, you will get the improved timing chain. So glad to hear you are saving money and a whole lot of work. Just be sure that when you do the chain, you clean cover and all mating surfaces extremely well and use GM FACTORY sealant only!! Replace the front crank seal, as well. You don't want any irritating oil leaks! Keep us posted!

Gee! try LKQ used auto parts for an engine.