Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 12-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

Drives: IBM
Magnaflow resonated x pipe issues

Well I've been a user of this x pip for over 2 years now having replaced one after I used it with forced induction. The pipe worked great for a while and helped dramatically with rasp and made my LT headers much calmer which was needed. The pipe then out of nowhere started making a full on metallic noise around 3 rmps or so any time I wanted to use 5th on the highway it sounded terrible inside the cabin. I as well as my passenger could tell it was coming from underneath the middle of the car, so I took it to the exhaust shop they told me something was wrong with the x pipe and it needed replacing so I ordered a new one got it put in and what do you know it sounds perfect again. Now here we are 8 months later and it's doing the SAME THING I even got it confirmed that it was the x pipe by 2 different shops.

My question to you guys is what could I replace it with?

I need to have my LT headers calmed down and I don't want rasp.
I was thinking add in resonators something but don't know what I did what lots have done on this site with the v6 but I'm not willing to buy another one to end up with the same issues

Do you think a stock H pipe with large resonators would work what have other people done other than the res x pipe? I need help everyone
IBM camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
are they sure it was a blown baffle on the second x-pipe?

(had to dig through your old posts to find what happened with the first one...lol)

I know some members have gone with the SOLO exhaust system over the magnaflow. (but that may be SS only, don't remember)

What other exhaust mods do you have besides the x-pipe and headers?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

I have 2.5 inch piping and flow master axle back it sounds great at WOT same combo borecam had. I'm 100% sure it's a blown baffle because they even brought me back and showed me nothing was rubbing or touching
Old 12-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Sorry to hear about your issue with the X -Pipe. Contact Magnaflow and check on the warranty. I thought I had an issue with my X-pipe and contacted them first. Turns out my real problem was the resonator that came with my OBX LT headers was broken. The guts inside had broken some welds and allowed them to turn, which created the horrible metal to metal sound. I removed the resonater and replaced with signal straight pipe pieces.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

I did the same when I had a supercharger I got them to weld the catless part as well as you describe because that noise was horrible. This noise is a full on nasty metallic buzzing as the rmps get in drone areas
Old 12-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I believe MF has a lifetime warranty. I have the xpipe on my ZL1 and after a few hard WOT runs I blew it. Same noises your describing. I love the way my car sounds with it.

It's not different than CATs and high power cars.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

Did you go back and buy another one? I'm making like 360hp or so on e85 at the time NA with all the stuff out for the v6 so no where near the power of the zl1 but I wonder if my piping is too small or something
Old 12-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM camaro View Post
Did you go back and buy another one? I'm making like 360hp or so on e85 at the time NA with all the stuff out for the v6 so no where near the power of the zl1 but I wonder if my piping is too small or something

No, replaced under warranty.

I don't think so about the piping. I would think heat would be blowing it but @ 360HP I wouldn't think that's an issue.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:35 AM   #9
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
If you grow weary of the issue & want to go a different direction, contact Nick from American Racing Headers. He made me a specially designed H-pipe that does not negatively impact on HP & improves the sound of my V6 with my LT headers. Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction here is a pic of my set-up.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #10
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
If you grow weary of the issue & want to go a different direction, contact Nick from American Racing Headers. He made me a specially designed H-pipe that does not negatively impact on HP & improves the sound of my V6 with my LT headers.[COLOR=darkred] Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction here is a pic of my set-up.
I did something Similar to Rubys set up. I had my guy go straight pipes to the Resonated Xpipe. No resistance or excessive turbulence. I like the sound I got. But again, Ruby and I have headers so thats a little different.

Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

Thanks everyone I'll check out that h pipe
Old 12-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
This resonator by SLP looks a lot like what Solo has sitting behind their HiFlow cats.

Maybe a tru-X crossover with a set of these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sl...FUNrfgodPTQA1w to keep the rasp at bay with no chance of another blow out?

Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, FE4 struts,ZL1 toe rods/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #13
IBM camaro
Texas HT5

I was planing on doing that actually but with the vibrant ones I wanna make sure they tone it down as much as possible I did just a x pipe on time and changed it back to the res x pipe in 1 day! I hated it... I just really hope when I try this new set up the resonators will do as good of a job as the x pipe did
Old 12-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
Yes, the Res-X is the best but this is the first I heard it couldn't take the heat of the IPF S/C. Got my attention!

So far so good, with mine but I'm running stock cats too, which I figure absorbs a bit of heat before the X.

You may find it necessary to mute your mufflers a little- I'm still glad I went with Borla's street cans (part#11776). Lightweight and plenty of flow but they calm the raspy V6 pretty well by themselves.

Let us know how it turns out, just in case my res-X caves!
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, FE4 struts,ZL1 toe rods/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #15
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Wow, that's the first I've heard of people having issues with these.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:20 PM   #16
DannyBoy707

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange V6
I have a question. I do not have headers, although I would like to get some as the funds become available... Firstly, where am I most restricted, and should upgrade first- Headers or mufflers. Secondly, without headers, if I just purchase the resonated x-pipe, and have the shop run 2 1/2" pipe to the rear, will it sound good? it seems like a lot of people are using MRT in conjunction with resonated x... is the resonated x a muffler or just a pipe? Im missing something
DannyBoy707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #17
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy707 View Post
I have a question. I do not have headers, although I would like to get some as the funds become available... Firstly, where am I most restricted, and should upgrade first- Headers or mufflers. Secondly, without headers, if I just purchase the resonated x-pipe, and have the shop run 2 1/2" pipe to the rear, will it sound good? it seems like a lot of people are using MRT in conjunction with resonated x... is the resonated x a muffler or just a pipe? Im missing something

If you install headers, you will want to add the resonated X pipe to take care of the RASP. This is the primary reason many who added headers also added the X pipe.

That said, some have opted for a muffler delete and added the X-pipe and have reported they like how it sounds.

If you want the cheap way out for better sound give the X - pipe a try first going with a muffler delete. The X-pipe is basically a modified muffler.

You can then always add the headers alter too.

MRT is the most popular axle back set-up for our V6. They do sound GOOD. Which is why many have them installed.

Keep us informed on what you decide to do for your Camaro.
Attached Images