Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
Riderover40
 
Riderover40's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2SS LS3 w/RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 648
LS3 to 500 HP Suggestions pls Economically

So to add 100 ponies without head work: Shouldn't there be G8 LS3 mods available soon ??

1) Exhaust -
2) Headers -
3) Intake -
4) Mild Boost -
5) Free Air induction -
6) Program ECM (tuning)-
7) Maybes like changing pulley sizes -
__________________
Roto Fab CAI, Magnacharger MP2300, Kooks HO SS 1-7/8" LT's, Kook's Catted Connectors, Corsa SS Dual Rear Exit Cat-Back for A6 with Lasered Livernois Signature 4" Dual Wall Exit Pipes, Barton Short Throw. 546 RWHP 517 RWT

This Car Rocks !! "Bring It On" GT-500
Riderover40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
vladkgb
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS Pewter
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Miami
Posts: 179
My LS1 easy hit 455rwhp (~500hp crank) with nothing but a p1sc procharger @ 5 psi, LT's and borla cat back, and a very good tune. Id say the quickest way to get to 500hp is via procharger, they already have g8 kits, engine bay is similar to camaros:


Id like to do something like this once i get my camaro, i got the kit from my ls1, will justneed some parts to adapt it. But i think its smart to wait it out the first production year to make sure any recalls/bugs are fixed by the warranty.

And of course theres always nitrous.

Edit: notice the weird placement of the air intake from the procharger, good SS have that cowl hood.
vladkgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
JJ#48Racing

 
Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,115
You're not going to get 500fwhp without doing a cam, unless you go forced induction which is a great way to go, but not economical. Staying NA, you should get 500fwhp with:

Air intake
Long tube headers- I'm not sure if the LS3 likes 1 3/4 inch or 1 7/8 inch better for NA power.
Mid-pipes with high-flow cats
Cat-back exhaust
Moderately aggressive cam with appropriate valve springs
Dyno tune
Heads can stay stock

Your best bet is to go onto a Corvette forum and ask the LS3 vette guys what they're doing.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:43 AM   #4
davidj
 
davidj's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ventura, Ca
Posts: 327
The GMPP "Hot cam" makes 50hp with no other mods.
__________________
davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:43 AM   #5
LS3SSRS

 
LS3SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
The GMPP "Hot cam" makes 50hp with no other mods.
Yes but won't it void the warranty? I would love to do this but I'm not sure.
__________________
**sold** 2010 2SS/RS, 6spd manual, imperial blue metallic w/black leather
Blacked out tail/signal lights, 5% rear tint, 20% sides, Dynomax Bullet mufflers, Barton short throw shifter, Clear Image offroad downpipes
LS3SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
pharmd
Master of Medicine
 
pharmd's Avatar
 
Drives: 4th Gen
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 784
Vettes are making 500 RWHP with bolt-ons and cam, they are making ALMOST 400 rwhp stock. I think if you are willing to do the bolt-ons: headers, exhaust, CAI, Pulley, custom cam, Tune...you will exceed where you want to be, if you don't mind a few extra $$ you can throw on the new FAST 102 intake and add an additional 12-20 rwhp.

If you are worried about warranty, then leave it stock. You have to pay to play in this game, its all a gamble. My TBSS just spun a rod bearing, so now I'm having to use alot of my camaro "mod money" to fix it. I'm not gonna "put it back to stock" then take it to the dealer like nothing happened, that's just dishonest. Understand that ANYTIME you start making significiantly more power than stock, things are gonna tear up, and you must be prepared $$ to fix it (especially if you will be depending on the camaro as transportation).
__________________
2002 Camaro SS. 408 LS2. 500+RWHP/480RWTQ. Full UMI RR suspension. Koni/Strano. 295F/315R. 3500#(55/45)
pharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Crowley
Okie doke
 
Crowley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GT500
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 3,569
Im going to be supercharging .. after having an 04 cobra at 509rwhp / 520rwtq .. nothing else will cut the mustard .. I'll do magnacharger or something like that for the best low end response (nothing like it) .. I'll be shooting for at least 600 crank HP ..

Crowley
__________________
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
blackedout010

 
Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: north carolina
Posts: 917
500hp or 500rwhp?? magnusson is releasing a tvs 2300 application within the next month or so and that with supporting mods. or you could always go cam or heads and cam. i wouldnt waste money on a hot cam theres alota better out their for same or even less cash.

honestly id go (when there availible)
ar or kooks headers
corsa cb
cai
pulley
cam
tune

these will get you 500+rwhp and with addition of some tea ls3 heads and lsxr intake you be at the 550+rwhp range
blackedout010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Crowley
Okie doke
 
Crowley's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GT500
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 3,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedout010 View Post
500hp or 500rwhp?? magnusson is releasing a tvs 2300 application within the next month or so and that with supporting mods. or you could always go cam or heads and cam. i wouldnt waste money on a hot cam theres alota better out their for same or even less cash.

honestly id go (when there availible)
ar or kooks headers
corsa cb
cai
pulley
cam
tune

these will get you 500+rwhp and with addition of some tea ls3 heads and lsxr intake you be at the 550+rwhp range
I don't think you will find it that easy for what you are saying will give you 500 rwhp .. no way you are getting 140hp out of headers, cb, cai, pulley, cam, and tune (at least and not still be a daily driver) ... maybe 500 rwhp w/ heads and cam etc ..

just my 2 cents .. 500 crank you could do I think though ..

Crowley
__________________
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
blackedout010

 
Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: north carolina
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
I don't think you will find it that easy for what you are saying will give you 500 rwhp .. no way you are getting 140hp out of headers, cb, cai, pulley, cam, and tune (at least and not still be a daily driver) ... maybe 500 rwhp w/ heads and cam etc ..

just my 2 cents .. 500 crank you could do I think though ..

Crowley
correct typo their you will be in 450-460 range with a cam. i was unclear wether he was asking 500hp or 500rwhp. however if u add heads and an lsxr intake you can hit 500rwhp mark.
blackedout010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
UsedTaHaveA68
 
UsedTaHaveA68's Avatar
 
Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
Vettes are making 500 RWHP with bolt-ons and cam, they are making ALMOST 400 rwhp stock. I think if you are willing to do the bolt-ons: headers, exhaust, CAI, Pulley, custom cam, Tune...you will exceed where you want to be, if you don't mind a few extra $$ you can throw on the new FAST 102 intake and add an additional 12-20 rwhp.
That's a bit optimistic for the LSXr intake. It gained 14hp at the CRANK on a stock LS3. I saw a post on ls1tech.com where someone with a built LS7 gained 21 rwhp. So for a typical bolton/cam LS3 you might see 10 rwhp (guessing).

If you're planning on 100hp over stock (Im assuming you're wanting 500hp at the crank), you're GOING to void your warranty. To do what would be required to make that much horsepower, you'll have to use something that will void it, be it a new cam, supercharger, intake manifold, etc.

Anyway, if you're shooting for 500 crank hp, mild cam, long tubes, CAI and tune should get you there.

If you're shooting for 500 rwhp, you'll need a supercharger (easiest, but mos expensive), or a slightly hotter cam, long tubes, CAI, and tune.

GMPP makes what they call the ASA HOT cam. It's the one used in the ASA racing series. Same lift as the standard HOT cam, but quite a bit more duration. And the GMPP cams are as cheap as any cam out there. Especially considering you don't have to change valve springs!
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
blackedout010

 
Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: north carolina
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
That's a bit optimistic for the LSXr intake. It gained 14hp at the CRANK on a stock LS3. I saw a post on ls1tech.com where someone with a built LS7 gained 21 rwhp. So for a typical bolton/cam LS3 you might see 10 rwhp (guessing).

If you're planning on 100hp over stock (Im assuming you're wanting 500hp at the crank), you're GOING to void your warranty. To do what would be required to make that much horsepower, you'll have to use something that will void it, be it a new cam, supercharger, intake manifold, etc.


If you're shooting for 500 rwhp, you'll need a supercharger (easiest, but mos expensive), or a slightly hotter cam, long tubes, CAI, and tune.
how do you figure supercharger is easiest??? not to be rude or come off bad have you ever owned a car with an sc?? ive had 2 and tons of headaches. from pulley combos to belt slippage both were constant headaches. with all the knowledge people have on ls based motors nowadays a good old heads and cam package is the way to go with least amount of hassle.
blackedout010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
blackZbandit
 
blackZbandit's Avatar
 
Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3SSRS View Post
Yes but won't it void the warranty? I would love to do this but I'm not sure.
It's a GM part and if installed by GM service people should be covered under warranty also as far as I know.
__________________
BLACK CAR + FLAT BLACK STRIPES + BLACK WHEELS = BLK PW3R!!

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
UsedTaHaveA68
 
UsedTaHaveA68's Avatar
 
Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedout010 View Post
how do you figure supercharger is easiest??? not to be rude or come off bad have you ever owned a car with an sc?? ive had 2 and tons of headaches. from pulley combos to belt slippage both were constant headaches. with all the knowledge people have on ls based motors nowadays a good old heads and cam package is the way to go with least amount of hassle.
I have not. I helped a buddy with a '97 Firebird Formula install his procharger a few years back, but no personal experience. But I did personally find it easier to install that supercharger than to install a new camshaft in that same car. He got rid of the S/C about a year after we put it in and went with a nitrous grind cam and a 175 shot of the giggly juice and a 3xxx stall converter. I know he had occasional issues with the S/C, but it wasn't his main decision to change over. And I don't know how much room is under the hood of the new Camaros, but changing cams in the old f-bodies were a bit of a pain.

I didn't mean to imply superchargers were the magic horsepower pill for everyone. That was the only one I've installed, and like I said I never had any personal experience of owning one. Didn't mean to come across as a know it all. I should have stated that between changing cams and installing a supercharger, the one that I've put in was much easier than the camshaft swap.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LS3 engine specifications Tran Wiki 3 10-06-2010 11:56 PM
LS3 Specs revealed: GM's 436hp Sick 6.2L LS3 TAG UR IT Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 28 07-30-2009 07:02 PM
2010 Camaro Indy 500 Pacecar! roadie2991 Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 129 05-24-2009 03:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.