Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
M-SS
 
M-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CAMARO FRONT SEAT
Posts: 177
Exclamation Share your own experience ,How your camaro brake noise problem was solved ?

Hi Guys as you know lot of C5 members here are having this brake squealing problem and I am one of them , If you have had a problem with your bakes so please post/share your own experience and knowledge in solving the brake noise problem/ How your camaro brake noise problem was solved ?



This will help us a lot




__________________



M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
chozn4service
Five-O
 
chozn4service's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SSRS RJT
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: +34° 55' 19.15", -117° 53' 22.43"
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SS View Post
Hi Guys as you know lot of C5 members here are having this brake squealing problem and I am one of them , If you have had a problem with your bakes so please post/share your own experience and knowledge in solving the brake noise problem/ How your camaro brake noise problem was solved ?



This will help us a lot





I had the issue of squeaking brakes that developed when driving around Indianapolis Motor Speedway in May of 2010 and it continued through this year. Finally after being out at the track again this year in May for 2 on track runs I took it in and had it looked at. The service department said this was a common thing with Camaro's and Corvettes. They said they saw nothing wrong, greased them which they said seems to help and it did. I really haven't heard them since but it was only my passenger side front that was doing it. So today *knock on wood* I can say I'm squeal free for the moment and its been 3mo's since that service and I've driven close to a thousand miles since then, maybe.
__________________
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3832170 : Praise The Lowered!
Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Vararam intake, Solo HFC, VMax Ported TB, VMax "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Trifecta Tune, Mike Norris Catch Can, DRL Harness, Heritage grill, Razzi GFX, NLP Spoiler, MPD1 Spoiler and more!
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:58 AM   #3
M-SS
 
M-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CAMARO FRONT SEAT
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
I had the issue of squeaking brakes that developed when driving around Indianapolis Motor Speedway in May of 2010 and it continued through this year. Finally after being out at the track again this year in May for 2 on track runs I took it in and had it looked at. The service department said this was a common thing with Camaro's and Corvettes. They said they saw nothing wrong, greased them which they said seems to help and it did. I really haven't heard them since but it was only my passenger side front that was doing it. So today *knock on wood* I can say I'm squeal free for the moment and its been 3mo's since that service and I've driven close to a thousand miles since then, maybe.
Thank you for the post

My driver side always but the passenger side sometimes makes noise !!!!! if you don't mind asking what was the product you used to grease your brakes ??
__________________



M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #4
M-SS
 
M-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CAMARO FRONT SEAT
Posts: 177
so guys i will be listing the possible solutions in solving the noise and squealing brake problem, and i will make sure i will try them all and if i am not successful i will sell my camaro

Solutions to fix the Camaro brake noise/ squealing :-

1-
JusticePete’s method of "Bedding the brakes "Find an open lightly tafficked section of highway. Get your speed up to 55 MPH. Stand on the brakes until your reach 35 MPH. Repeat from 65 and 75. Drive for five miles or more to allow the brakes to cool. This should reduce the squeal "

2- Grease the brakes
__________________




Last edited by M-SS; 09-07-2011 at 04:42 AM.
M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
chozn4service
Five-O
 
chozn4service's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SSRS RJT
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: +34° 55' 19.15", -117° 53' 22.43"
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SS View Post
Thank you for the post

My driver side always but the passenger side sometimes makes noise !!!!! if you don't mind asking what was the product you used to grease your brakes ??

That I can't answer as the service dept at Hare Chevrolet did the work. As I was told it's common with 'vettes and 'maro's, so they greased all the fittings and moving parts on the brakes and its been all good every since.
__________________
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3832170 : Praise The Lowered!
Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Vararam intake, Solo HFC, VMax Ported TB, VMax "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Trifecta Tune, Mike Norris Catch Can, DRL Harness, Heritage grill, Razzi GFX, NLP Spoiler, MPD1 Spoiler and more!
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,693
My problems are well documented on here. But the short version is that my 2010 was declared a lemon, I handed over the keys to a GM rep, and they gave me the keys to a brand new 2011.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
chozn4service
Five-O
 
chozn4service's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SSRS RJT
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: +34° 55' 19.15", -117° 53' 22.43"
Posts: 2,367
Must have been more than just brakes that you had issue with. From a lemon to lemonade!
So out of curiosity, what mods did you have on the lemon and did you or were you allowed to remove them for the new car? I would have had a strip out party as to save myself on starting over unless compensation was figured into it, which I doubt.
__________________
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3832170 : Praise The Lowered!
Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Vararam intake, Solo HFC, VMax Ported TB, VMax "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Trifecta Tune, Mike Norris Catch Can, DRL Harness, Heritage grill, Razzi GFX, NLP Spoiler, MPD1 Spoiler and more!
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,693
Only a CAI and a CarId interior kit. So I just bit the bullet on that one.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
chozn4service
Five-O
 
chozn4service's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SSRS RJT
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: +34° 55' 19.15", -117° 53' 22.43"
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Only a CAI and a CarId interior kit. So I just bit the bullet on that one.
That's not too bad considering. I know the CarID kit was gone but the CAI would have come out especially if I had the stock box. Hell, I would have been searching on the board for a stock air box as a temp if necessary.

I've been wanting to do a CarID kit but can't decide on which one to get. Which did you settle on and did you get another for this one, any pics?
I had a carbon fiber one for my previous ride that I got off of ebay which wasn't bad at all.
__________________
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3832170 : Praise The Lowered!
Flowmaster Catback Exhaust, Vararam intake, Solo HFC, VMax Ported TB, VMax "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Trifecta Tune, Mike Norris Catch Can, DRL Harness, Heritage grill, Razzi GFX, NLP Spoiler, MPD1 Spoiler and more!
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #10
M-SS
 
M-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CAMARO FRONT SEAT
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
That I can't answer as the service dept at Hare Chevrolet did the work. As I was told it's common with 'vettes and 'maro's, so they greased all the fittings and moving parts on the brakes and its been all good every since.
Thanks bud
__________________



M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:45 AM   #11
M-SS
 
M-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CAMARO FRONT SEAT
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
My problems are well documented on here. But the short version is that my 2010 was declared a lemon, I handed over the keys to a GM rep, and they gave me the keys to a brand new 2011.

Thank you stieger i have seen your posts, and i know my dealer will not give me ew camaro because of my camaro brakes are noisy
__________________



M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:47 AM   #12
M-SS
 
M-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CAMARO FRONT SEAT
Posts: 177
Solutions to fix the Camaro brake noise/ squealing :-

1-
JusticePete’s method of "Bedding the brakes "Find an open lightly tafficked section of highway. Get your speed up to 55 MPH. Stand on the brakes until your reach 35 MPH. Repeat from 65 and 75. Drive for five miles or more to allow the brakes to cool. This should reduce the squeal "

2- Grease the brakes

3- lemon law " not applicable for me "
__________________



M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #13
M-SS
 
M-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CAMARO FRONT SEAT
Posts: 177
change the rotors and the pads with some aftermarket rotors and pads without changing the Brembo brake calipers , will it solves the noise and squeal ????
__________________



M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
04Ram2500Hemi

 
Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Missoula, Montana
Posts: 1,337
I had the TSB performed on my 2010 and shortly after that it started again. The thing is the car stops on a dime (I've had to dynamite the brakes at highway speeds and they are amazing). I live with a little squeal because I know these brakes can save my life if I need them to.


Here's the TSB I had performed that did nothing for me. Not sure if this helps any, but it might be something for you to reference.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Brembo.pdf (350.5 KB, 82 views)
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #15
stros
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose California
Posts: 234
For me my squeak somehow seemed to go away completely at around the 8000 mile mark. Was really annoying pulling into parking spaces before that though:-)
stros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
M-SS
 
M-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CAMARO FRONT SEAT
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Ram2500Hemi View Post
I had the TSB performed on my 2010 and shortly after that it started again. The thing is the car stops on a dime (I've had to dynamite the brakes at highway speeds and they are amazing). I live with a little squeal because I know these brakes can save my life if I need them to.


Here's the TSB I had performed that did nothing for me. Not sure if this helps any, but it might be something for you to reference.
Thank you man , the next step will be roller skates .
__________________



M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #17
M-SS
 
M-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CAMARO FRONT SEAT
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by stros View Post
For me my squeak somehow seemed to go away completely at around the 8000 mile mark. Was really annoying pulling into parking spaces before that though:-)
So you didn't do anything the noise just vanished
Most people's problem starts when they hit a certain mileage .
__________________



M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #18
stros
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Jose California
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SS View Post
So you didn't do anything the noise just vanished
Most people's problem starts when they hit a certain mileage .
Correct. I had the squeal noise pretty much from the 1st day I took it home from the dealer...and it went away after 8K. Not sure why myself. Maybe my brakes are wearing fast
stros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #19
M-SS
 
M-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CAMARO FRONT SEAT
Posts: 177
Thanks man
__________________



M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #20
M-SS
 
M-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CAMARO FRONT SEAT
Posts: 177
SO GUYS , YESTERDAY I TRIED THE PADDING PROCESS , ITS NOT A FIX BUT ITS REDUCES THE NOISE FOR AWHILE :(
__________________



M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #21
M-SS
 
M-SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS 2010
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CAMARO FRONT SEAT
Posts: 177
GUYS MY NOISE PROBLEM ISN'T THAT BAD ITS LITTLE SQUEAL BUT STILL I DONT LIKE IT :(
__________________



M-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #22
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider
 
Cyber Gray's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2SS/RS 2014; JK Wrangler 2011
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Muscat
Posts: 1,969
Almost all the Camaros in Oman squeal man. The wheels are wide and the weather is humid as well as the amount of dust we got around.

The rotors get dirty and should be serviced every 10,000 KM according to the dealer.

I used the brake cleaner spray for some time but after adding more HP on my car, I have to throw those OEM plates and install some serious stuff.
Cyber Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #23
monstertodd


 
monstertodd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tega Cay, South Carolina
Posts: 3,965
I've got about 8500 miles on my 2010. They didn't squeal at first, but it slowly developed. And now they pretty much squeal all the time.

I've "heard" that ceramic brake pads will kill the noise. I don't know if that has ever been substantiated by legitimate data though.

I have a set of hawk ceramic pads sitting at home that I'm going to have installed when I get back from Iraq at the end of October. Hopefully that will fix my brake dust and squealing problem.
__________________
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #24
bmbbl be

 
bmbbl be's Avatar
 
Drives: camaro ss 2013-street glide
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: tallmadge, ohio
Posts: 1,089
i have ceramic pads and after market rotors,,,,pure silence
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #25
monstertodd


 
monstertodd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tega Cay, South Carolina
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbbl be View Post
i have ceramic pads and after market rotors,,,,pure silence
what setup are you using? Rotors? pads? calipers?
__________________
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
brake squealing, camaro brake noise

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT5 Camaro pics brantley847 Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 93 05-27-2013 08:35 PM
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 06:10 PM
Drag Racing Suspension Kits Info@PeddersUSA.com Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 25 02-21-2010 08:48 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 07:33 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 07:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.