Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Wiess
4th gen punk!
 
Wiess's Avatar
 
Drives: 94 Camaro Z-28
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 104
LT1 to LS1 swap

Yo I really want to replace the tired LT1 engine in my 94 Z28. I'd like some tips or hints that would help with my swap
__________________
Wiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,817
To my knowledge it should be a pretty easy swap. But you'll def need a new wiring harness for the ECM.
__________________

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth
 
Zabo's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Woodhaven, Michigan
Posts: 9,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
To my knowledge it should be a pretty easy swap. But you'll def need a new wiring harness for the ECM.
Hell, aside from the added emissions things post 1994 I'd imagine just find a rear ended LS car and clean out the engine bay of everything that isn't part of the body or holds the engine in place. IIRC the body didn't change much if at all when they went to the LS1 so just finding an LS car and adding all the extras to make that LS engine work in said LS car..

Badabing, you've got an LS engine'd Camaro.

Easier to drop the car on the engine/K member though, so keep that in mind also look for a combo of trans and engine and stay away from TC/ASR BS. LS1tech and LS1.com are your friend too.

Spike.. anything to add oh Jalopy Jedi?
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,827
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Hell, aside from the added emissions things post 1994 I'd imagine just find a rear ended LS car and clean out the engine bay of everything that isn't part of the body or holds the engine in place. IIRC the body didn't change much if at all when they went to the LS1 so just finding an LS car and adding all the extras to make that LS engine work in said LS car..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post

Badabing, you've got an LS engine'd Camaro.

Easier to drop the car on the engine/K member though, so keep that in mind also look for a combo of trans and engine and stay away from TC/ASR BS. LS1tech and LS1.com are your friend too.

Spike.. anything to add oh Jalopy Jedi?



of course.

the hood will need to be changed as the LS1 sits higher and the Radiator will need to sit more upright to not come in contact with the engine, not to mention, you will need either a different radiator (LT1's are reverse flow cooled) or a custom plumbing setup for the stock radiator. also, you have a 94 camaro which is an OBDI system, you'll need to convert your data connector over to OBDII. Transmissions wont transfer, Kmember wont match up, all your engine accessories, plus all the little stuff like AC, sensors, etc.



an overview of major items you'll need
-Engine
-Tranny
-K-member
-Wiring harness (sparco does a conversion with the stock LT1 harness)
-Computer & tuning
-Front Accessories
-Steering rack & pinion with steering shaft
-New Fuel pump(LS1-58psi vs LT1-42psi), regulator, and lines (LS1 is a returnless system)




if you truly want to do it, find a donor car that is rear ended and take your time.


IMVHO, save the time and money and have your LT1 freshened up and mod it out. get it stroked, poked and cammed and have more power than the LS1 without breaking the bank.
or if you are adamant about having an LS1, trade out your 94 for one. or find a rolling chassis that needs a motor and interior and swap your interior to the rolling chassis.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
2SSRSinBama

 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro CGM
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: "The Shoals" Alabama
Posts: 766
the LT1 f-bodies are lighter.. and with the LS1 being all aluminum... even lighter

its not a bad swap with a donor car, i'd say that is a must or you WILL be collecting parts off of one anyway on down the road...

find you a LS1 car that has a side impact(or rear impact if the rear end is still good) and go from there...

there was a '96 Z28 here with a LS1 in it.. only one i've seen IRL(a couple online)... it was definitely different and his job looked pretty sleek
__________________

2010 Camaro SS L99... has a few mods
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
Blue10CamaroSS
454 RWHP 448 TQ
 
Blue10CamaroSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East Brunswick, New Jersey
Posts: 2,617
http://stores.ebay.com/Fparts?_rdc=1

This guy has a lot of crashed up Corvettes and Camaros. Lots from LT engines to LS engines
__________________
Blue10CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
Wiess
4th gen punk!
 
Wiess's Avatar
 
Drives: 94 Camaro Z-28
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post


of course.

the hood will need to be changed as the LS1 sits higher and the Radiator will need to sit more upright to not come in contact with the engine, not to mention, you will need either a different radiator (LT1's are reverse flow cooled) or a custom plumbing setup for the stock radiator. also, you have a 94 camaro which is an OBDI system, you'll need to convert your data connector over to OBDII. Transmissions wont transfer, Kmember wont match up, all your engine accessories, plus all the little stuff like AC, sensors, etc.



an overview of major items you'll need
-Engine
-Tranny
-K-member
-Wiring harness (sparco does a conversion with the stock LT1 harness)
-Computer & tuning
-Front Accessories
-Steering rack & pinion with steering shaft
-New Fuel pump(LS1-58psi vs LT1-42psi), regulator, and lines (LS1 is a returnless system)




if you truly want to do it, find a donor car that is rear ended and take your time.


IMVHO, save the time and money and have your LT1 freshened up and mod it out. get it stroked, poked and cammed and have more power than the LS1 without breaking the bank.
or if you are adamant about having an LS1, trade out your 94 for one. or find a rolling chassis that needs a motor and interior and swap your interior to the rolling chassis.
How much do u think it would run me to boost my LT1 then?
__________________
Wiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,827
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiess View Post
How much do u think it would run me to boost my LT1 then?
depends on what you want to do. rebuild? stroker? heads/cam? spray?

the LT1 can be built relatively easy to make 400+hp reliably and driveable.

biggest questions are what is your budget and your skill level?
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
Wiess
4th gen punk!
 
Wiess's Avatar
 
Drives: 94 Camaro Z-28
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 104
I want a strong reliable LT1 engine.I want it to be healthy and powerful
__________________
Wiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,827
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiess View Post
I want a strong reliable LT1 engine.I want it to be healthy and powerful

do you want a N/A engine? super/turbocharged? Nitrous?
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #11
dmginc


 
dmginc's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Camaro 1LS AGM
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,423
strong LT1...isnt that an oxymoron?
__________________

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,827
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
strong LT1...isnt that an oxymoron?
lol...


they are rare, but once you've cracked 10's with the LT1, the LS1 just doesnt seem as appealing anymore
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
Nvincent4708
LSX Swapped
 
Nvincent4708's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LSX Swapped
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cecil County, MD
Posts: 25,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
strong LT1...isnt that an oxymoron?
not if you do it right. lol

my friend has a 95z pushing 450rwhp

i say that's strong.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!
 
xXSilencerXx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Patrick AFB, FL
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
lol...


they are rare, but once you've cracked 10's with the LT1, the LS1 just doesnt seem as appealing anymore
This is true, I've seen some fast LT1's. They just have less aftermarket support, and I'm just not a fan of the Opti spark system they use.
__________________
2011 Camaro SS, White/Orange, LSR Short Throw, CAI
1998 Trans Am, Red, H/C/I, 3200 CircleD Stall, full suspension
2004 GSXR 1k, Matt Mladin Edition
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock ls1 vs lt1? 96z 4th Generation Camaros 5 04-30-2011 05:28 PM
lt1 Z28 rear carrier vs ls1 transam rear carier.??? lildj2483 4th Generation Camaros 3 03-16-2010 06:05 PM
LS1 and LT1 Parts for Sale - AZ chellzers V8 - Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons, Tuning Equipment 7 12-07-2009 09:13 AM
v6 to carb lt1 swap quide outlaw85 4th Generation Camaros 0 03-08-2009 09:58 PM
LS1 VS LT1 devildogcollier 4th Generation Camaros 31 02-27-2009 08:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.