Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 09-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
rrtree

Drives: '11 2lt
turbo?

what turbo are you guys running with the sts kit and/or what size turbo is recommended for a single setup and what size are you running gretchin or tracy n your twin setup im tring to figure what direction to go ?

i have the chance to get a ball bearing t4 with 67 trim (i think, waiting for more info on it) brand new for a steal that a buddy got for his car but he sold the car before upgrading his setup would it work for the llt????????
rrtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
The sts kit uses a 60-1 with an e compressor housing I believe and a t4 ptrim turbine not sure of the turbine housing size. I run a precision pt6765 journal bearing with an s housing and ptrim turbine with .68ar housing. The 67mm spools just a tad slower than the my old T60 but makes more power and still very daily driveable. Our cars move a lot of air so we can spool the bigger turbos, ask tracy or gretchen for more info. Let us know the specs of the turbo when you get them!
Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / Custom Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / 10" Orion Subs / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
A 67 mm would be fine. Do like PT did and keep the AR at a moderate to large size to help with charge temps. They do move a suprising amount of air for a 3.6 L, so you can spool a fairly large turbo. Don't go to small because you will get a hotter charge and start impacting you MPG. Also, if you have a A6 you will be putting too much torque on the tranny at low RPMs. I love PTs setup and it is proven (as are the STS setups), but I think you'll be better off with the ball bearing. We've all be struggling with oiling/smoking issues so going with something that requires less OIL is better IMHO.

What ever route you go I think you'll like it. It doesn't take much boost on these cars to get 350 RWHP. That's enough to have fun at the track and you still have a great daily driver.
Build Thread

Last edited by GretchenGotGrowl; 09-09-2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Fixed the bolded word (was smoke)
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
mpiper

Drives: 2011 Black 1LT RS
Can you explain what you mean about smoke? Smoking issues and requiring less smoke?

I'm a non-turbo guy here, so keep the answer in simple terms so I don't have to pull out my "Terms for Dummies" book.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
GretchenGotGrowl

All turbos require oil. Most car manufactures mount them in the engine bay and gravity helps flow the oil back to the crankcase. The remote mounted systems like PT and I have (as well as STS) are mounted below the crank case. That means we have to pump the oil back to the crankcase. In my case I'm either sending too much to the turbos or not pumping it back fast enough. When the oil builds up in those hot turbos it burns and leads to smoke coming out of the tail pipes. I think PT got his issue resolved. For the most part I've got mine under control but it does smoke a bit a wide-open-throttle. When we do the Tracy does the new torque converter he's going to take them off and replace the seals and mine should be fine.
Build Thread
Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
mpiper

Drives: 2011 Black 1LT RS
Ok. Think I got it. So when you suggested rrtree get one that requires less smoke, were you suggesting a larger housing so the oil flows easier?

By the way, I have followed GGG's build, but don't know what PT has, except it was a custom setup. PT, do you have a build thread?
Old 09-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiper View Post
Ok. Think I got it. So when you suggested rrtree get one that requires less smoke, were you suggesting a larger housing so the oil flows easier?

By the way, I have followed GGG's build, but don't know what PT has, except it was a custom setup. PT, do you have a build thread?
Ah, gotcha. Meant OIL not SMOKE. The ball bearing units require less oil than the jounal bearing turbos.
Build Thread
Old 09-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiper View Post

The gretchen is correct. Ball bearing setups are nice if you can afford! One lazy reason I didn't go ball bearing was because I didn't feel like running water and oil lines to the back of the car.

My master power t60 didn't smoke at all but when I changed to the older precision pt67, I do get some blueish smoke at WOT. I'm not sure if the seal designs are different between the two but the oil inlet is certainly different. The t60 had some type of restrictor flange inside the CHRA for the feed side while the precision is wide open (I use the same 2mm restricted oil feed flange however).

I kinda have a build page but its not up to date and not as comprehensive as the others. I want to do a few more things to my car before I provide another real update.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143029
Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / Custom Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / 10" Orion Subs / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Old 09-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
rrtree

my buddy dropped of the turbo to me so i can take it to tracy and have him look at it i dont know the model number yet to get all the specs on it

Old 09-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
rrtree

so its not brand new but "like new" and looks like it may be an older model but everything looks great inside i just gotta try to get the specs on it now...

thanks alot gretchin cant get this damn turbo stuff out of my head since seeing your green monster....
Old 09-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
Pt_killa

nice turbo! Turbonetics too! how many inches or mm's is it across the top of the compressor wheel and the top of the turbine wheel? With those measurements we can at least tell you what type of flow youll have. That looks like a 3 inch inlet and 2 inch outlet meaning it would be an e housing.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
rrtree

2 3/4" and 2" on the cold side and 2 1/4 opening and 5 bolt flange and the t4 flange on the hot side so is it a t3/t4 hybrid????

also can i tell if it really is ball bearing (without taking apart) as i was told it is?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
Pt_killa

Hmm could be a 60-1 hifi or 62-1 hifi, do you have a picture of the inlet flange on the turbine housing? Others correct me if I'm wrong, but usually T3 hot sides use the 5 bolt outlet flange. If it is a t3/t4, the turbine may be too restrictive for a single setup but still try to bring it to Tracy since your close.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
gjarzabek009

Drives: 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
Hmm could be a 60-1 hifi or 62-1 hifi, do you have a picture of the inlet flange on the turbine housing? Others correct me if I'm wrong, but usually T3 hot sides use the 5 bolt outlet flange. If it is a t3/t4, the turbine may be too restrictive for a single setup but still try to bring it to Tracy since your close.
Hey man we need numbers from your car asap! Get 0-60 times and 1/4 miles times
-VMAX Ported TB
-Maces 25mm Insulator
-Ported Intake manifolds (soon)
gjarzabek009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Looks like a genuine Turbonetics for sure.....and yes, an older model but depending on the hotside turbine we may be able to make it work just fine.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #16
rrtree

well i went to tracy's today and good news he said it should work and now the process begins getting parts together.. hopefully ill be droping it off with tracy sooner than later

ptkilla if i remember right the ar is .63 but i left it at my shop so cant be 100% right now
Old 09-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtree View Post
well i went to tracy's today and good news he said it should work and now the process begins getting parts together.. hopefully ill be droping it off with tracy sooner than later

ptkilla if i remember right the ar is .63 but i left it at my shop so cant be 100% right now

Very cool-looking forward to reading more about what happens with your turbo build. And watching everyone else's progress. SC not far off I'm thinking.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote