Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #351
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
Compared to a 4,200 pound car.....



You're right....too many 5th gens are dyno queens.
...ok,< whistle >...game misconduct penalty........
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #352
Huggerorange73
Banned
 
Drives: The REAL C5
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norridge, IL
Posts: 2,115
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...ok,< whistle >...game misconduct penalty........
It's a fact.........at least here in Chicago.

The local 5th gen club can get 30 + Camaros out to cruise for Hooters or Pizza...but less than 5 cars to anything track/dyno related.
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #353
IOMZL1

 
IOMZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 1991 Z28; 2008 SRT 10 Viper Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
It's a fact.........at least here in Chicago.

The local 5th gen club can get 30 + Camaros out to cruise for Hooters or Pizza...but less than 5 cars to anything track/dyno related.
I'm sure the same can be said for any generation Camaro or other car for people in a car club - it's more of a 'show car' mentality. I'd say the older the car the more likely it is to be used at the track or strip just because people can afford to mod them or justify using them in that way after the warranty expires. Not many racers would choose a new car as a platform when there are cheaper options out there that are just as good if not better for racing.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #354
Huggerorange73
Banned
 
Drives: The REAL C5
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norridge, IL
Posts: 2,115
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
I'm sure the same can be said for any generation Camaro or other car for people in a car club - it's more of a 'show car' mentality. I'd say the older the car the more likely it is to be used at the track or strip just because people can afford to mod them or justify using them in that way after the warranty expires. Not many racers would choose a new car as a platform when there are cheaper options out there that are just as good if not better for racing.
So people are going to buy a 580 HP car and not track it because it's new?

Then can you also explain to me why on said track days there are numerous Challengers, Mustangs and Corvettes out there?
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #355
Tob
 
Drives: Blue Pig
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Afar
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hv92 View Post
Cool story bro. Like a fellow member said. Independent race vids don't mean shit.
Sure did on that day.

But yeah, bro, that was just a retort - lame for lame.
Tob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #356
IOMZL1

 
IOMZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 1991 Z28; 2008 SRT 10 Viper Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
So people are going to buy a 580 HP car and not track it because it's new?

Then can you also explain to me why on said track days there are numerous Challengers, Mustangs and Corvettes out there?
I'm sure plenty will take te ZL1 to the strip...

I don't know, it was just a guess at why you've observed that phenomenon. But I don't think because of your experience you can make that statement that 'most 5th gens are dyno queens'.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #357
HumanWiki
Former 5th Gen owner
 
HumanWiki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
I'm sure plenty will take te ZL1 to the strip...

I don't know, it was just a guess at why you've observed that phenomenon. But I don't think because of your experience you can make that statement that 'most 5th gens are dyno queens'.
Well... There are plenty on this very site that post absurd dyno numbers... but, surprisingly, never any track times.

I don't know what the split on this site is for those that use their car and those that show their car --- but, I know many that show only.. I do both, with a preference to racing...


As for the ZL1 --- I'm very curious to see what the hero, rag and avg joe times are..
__________________
2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT Auto
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #358
zadjaliz
 
Drives: Not yet
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Muscat
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
There should be no reason to shift three gears!! Two...like usual.
I did the math quick, a 6000-rpm shift point will take the car to 51mph in first, then shift down to 4000 rpm in second and pull up to 60mph at 4700 rpm. Which is pretty cool, actually, because second gear @ 45-51mph will drop you right into the peak of the LSA's torque curve.
Mmm Quick question:
The new Mustang revs up to 7000rpm and got a factory 3.73 gears, it gets to 60mph by the end of 2nd gear at 7000rpm.
How come the Camaro revs up to only 6200rpm and get you to 60mph in 2nd gear? is this related to engine displacement? transmission type? .. etc
zadjaliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #359
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,214
Gearing both trans and rear.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #360
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadjaliz View Post
Mmm Quick question:
The new Mustang revs up to 7000rpm and got a factory 3.73 gears, it gets to 60mph by the end of 2nd gear at 7000rpm.
How come the Camaro revs up to only 6200rpm and get you to 60mph in 2nd gear? is this related to engine displacement? transmission type? .. etc
"3.73" or "4.03" etc doesn't mean anything alone....you must take into account transmission gear ratios and then even tire circumference. Mustangs have much smaller wheels/tires and maybe have a taller first/second gear in the transmission. I don't really know, because I don't pay that close attention to them. :(
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #361
Huggerorange73
Banned
 
Drives: The REAL C5
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norridge, IL
Posts: 2,115
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
"3.73" or "4.03" etc doesn't mean anything alone....you must take into account transmission gear ratios and then even tire circumference. Mustangs have much smaller wheels/tires and maybe have a taller first/second gear in the transmission. I don't really know, because I don't pay that close attention to them. :(
Better start paying close attention....to defeat your enemy, you must know your enemy.
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #362
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
It's a fact.........at least here in Chicago.

The local 5th gen club can get 30 + Camaros out to cruise for Hooters or Pizza...but less than 5 cars to anything track/dyno related.
..you state thats a fact in Chicago, please explain the relevance to geographical local. That is great you have so many Camaro's in your club to get together for a cruise night! It brings back memories of my teens at the local local McDonalds or Burger King. But, having said that, why would you point out statistically who do not participate in any track or dyno related situation?
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #363
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
Better start paying close attention....to defeat your enemy, you must know your enemy.
They're not my enemy. And "beating" them is not a primary focus....I'm here to have fun and enjoy the car I love.

But your point is taken......
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #364
Huggerorange73
Banned
 
Drives: The REAL C5
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norridge, IL
Posts: 2,115
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
..you state thats a fact in Chicago, please explain the relevance to geographical local. That is great you have so many Camaro's in your club to get together for a cruise night! It brings back memories of my teens at the local local McDonalds or Burger King. But, having said that, why would you point out statistically who do not participate in any track or dyno related situation?
There are 2 distinct groups.....

The Waxers who enjoy shows and cruises.....and the gearheads who enjoy the strip, autocross, road courses and dyno days.

The waxers far outnumber the gearheads when it comes to the 5th gen Camaro in Chicago.

Lots of amazing dyno sheets, but only a fistfull of timeslips....
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #365
Huggerorange73
Banned
 
Drives: The REAL C5
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norridge, IL
Posts: 2,115
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
They're not my enemy. And "beating" them is not a primary focus....I'm here to have fun and enjoy the car I love.

But your point is taken......
I guess this is where all situations differ....I happen to work with the following cars in the parking lot.

10 GT500
11 GT
03 Cobra
05 GT
and a Bullit edition Stang.

Plus I like to have facts involved in statements when I talk with these guys instead of just saying FORDS SUCK!

So I try to learn all I can about these cars because these are the guys I'm lining up against.

If the intent isn't to race or smash GT500s then none if it matters...if your intent is to enjoy the car, I highly suspect that the HP/TQ #s will keep you grinning from ear to ear for a good long time.

For those of us with the sickness of speed....it's another story.

Please don't take any disrect or ill will towards what I say....I totally get where you're coming from on this!
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #366
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro
 
Scarrzz's Avatar
 
Drives: Suzuki Hayabusa
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana, CO, GA, TX, etc.
Posts: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
The local 5th gen club can get 30 + Camaros out to cruise for Hooters ...

MMMmmmmmm Camaros & Hooters !

Count me in.



I'll hit the track a couple of times for each performance mod I add, but I'll go to Hooters every week.


.
__________________
.
__________________________________
................................................The Faithful are Watching.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #367
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
I guess this is where all situations differ....I happen to work with the following cars in the parking lot.

10 GT500
11 GT
03 Cobra
05 GT
and a Bullit edition Stang.

Plus I like to have facts involved in statements when I talk with these guys instead of just saying FORDS SUCK!

So I try to learn all I can about these cars because these are the guys I'm lining up against.

If the intent isn't to race or smash GT500s then none if it matters...if your intent is to enjoy the car, I highly suspect that the HP/TQ #s will keep you grinning from ear to ear for a good long time.

For those of us with the sickness of speed....it's another story.

Please don't take any disrect or ill will towards what I say....I totally get where you're coming from on this!
No offense on my end.

I quickly tired of the "got to win" conversations. It was exhausting, and not very fun for me...right now? I enjoy a fellow car enthusiasts' company, so long as they show the same respect in kind. My friends and I drive to have fun and enjoy the cars, as I said.

BUT.....that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a little competition now and again. I just don't focus on it.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #368
Huggerorange73
Banned
 
Drives: The REAL C5
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norridge, IL
Posts: 2,115
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
No offense on my end.

I quickly tired of the "got to win" conversations. It was exhausting, and not very fun for me...right now? I enjoy a fellow car enthusiasts' company, so long as they show the same respect in kind. My friends and I drive to have fun and enjoy the cars, as I said.

BUT.....that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a little competition now and again. I just don't focus on it.
No worries man....we're good.
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #369
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,043
I would like to see if the numbers change after SAE certification
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #370
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,091
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I would like to see if the numbers change after SAE certification
Didn't GM's release say that this was SAE certified?
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #371
blufin

 
blufin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: WPB, Florida
Posts: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Didn't GM's release say that this was SAE certified?
It does say SAE, but I like where he was going with that. That would have been a great surprise to have it come in closer to 600 after certification. Since 'Father stated that Gm still hasn't tipped their hand completely, it leaves me wondering what will be revealed in the next few months.
__________________
12.618 @ 110.75 Bone Stock 1/4 mile
8.165 @ 86.52 Bone Stock 1/8 mile
11.189 @ 124.44 on a 1.73 60' TVS2300 3.4 pulley, JRE tuned, Kooks LT headers and HF cats, MBRP catback exhaust, CAI intake, ADM scoop. Stock wheels/tires
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #372
a_Username


 
a_Username's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
It does say SAE, but I like where he was going with that. That would have been a great surprise to have it come in closer to 600 after certification. Since 'Father stated that Gm still hasn't tipped their hand completely, it leaves me wondering what will be revealed in the next few months.
Track pack option?!
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #373
mikebutry
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 #54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 148
Send a message via Yahoo to mikebutry
sold.
mikebutry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #374
Disco
 
Disco's Avatar
 
Drives: Not Available yet
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eastvale, CA
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebutry View Post
sold.
That makes 2 of use...lol
__________________
QBDRH0
1100 11/25/11
2030 12/13/11
2050 01/24/12


Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #375
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC
 
2012ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
No offense on my end.

I quickly tired of the "got to win" conversations. It was exhausting, and not very fun for me...right now? I enjoy a fellow car enthusiasts' company, so long as they show the same respect in kind. My friends and I drive to have fun and enjoy the cars, as I said.

BUT.....that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a little competition now and again. I just don't focus on it.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT5 Camaro pics brantley847 Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 93 05-27-2013 08:35 PM
Camaro vs Corvette? Dr Jkel Chevy Camaro vs... 71 11-12-2010 01:39 PM
Im sure this has been asked before.. But forgive my innocence :) gmag21 Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 23 02-21-2010 10:29 PM
Torque Converters Explained tbyrne V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 0 01-07-2010 12:38 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 07:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.