Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Circle-D
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #225
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
It is not faster. Enough said about that...

31. Cadillac CTS-V 1:43.90 125 '09 564 / 1955 Motortrend
32. Shelby GT500 1:44.30 124 '10 547 / 1767 Motortrend
33. Shelby Cobra 427 S/C 1:44.46 124 0 492 / 1136 Road&Track
34. Shelby GT500 1:44.72 124 '06 507 / 1807 Motor Trend
35. Shelby Mustang Cobra GT500KR 1:44.72 124 '08 540 / 1773 Motortrend

Close but the nod goes to the caddy at Laguna seca. I would be willing to bet the ZL1 will be faster than the CTS-V around the same track..... Hence believing that the ZL1 will beat the GT500 (at least at lugana seca).

Ugggghhh Bench racing.... I cant wait for REAL numbers!

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #226
Needs Exhaust!
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2008 XLR-V
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: In my car!!
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
My 1996 Corolla only has like 570 HP but it will win against the ZL1 because it is FWD. I also painted the calipers yellow. The ZL1 calipers aren't yellow, they are more like a gray or black - um hello? Do those brakes even do anything??!!? What is wrong with you GM??? Let's start with the basics, OK? Plus, I've got over 200,000 miles and the ZL1s haven't proven they are durable yet because they aren't even on the showroom floor. Let’s see the ZL1 run over 200,000 miles and then we will talk. And I can run in the snow and seat 5 plus fill my trunk with baby toys. I also heard the GT500 was the best from my buddy who works down the road from the Ford dealer in our town. No way will the ZL1 beat it. Fact.
[insert "not sure if serious" picture here]
Needs Exhaust! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #227
Black5thgen
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2007 C6
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post



No problem -- we'll take your name off the list.


by the way - I think you're going to be in for a surprise.




There's lots we've still not disclosed - so stay tuned.........
I hope so Scott, I have been keeping the faith for 5 years now. As much as I have tried to ignore it, the weight is an issue when modding this car the way I like it. I know that GM listens to it's customers and is very involved so I will shut up and keep the faith till all the specs are released. But IMO 4200 lbs. is unacceptable if that is indeed the official curb weight.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #228
Needs Exhaust!
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2008 XLR-V
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: In my car!!
Posts: 227
Also, where the prices announced? (please say yes)
Needs Exhaust! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #229
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needs Exhaust! View Post
Also, where the prices announced? (please say yes)
Not yet.....

Price is usually the last thing set.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #230
ULTRAZLS1


 
ULTRAZLS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 silverado
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jackson, Michigan
Posts: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
31. Cadillac CTS-V 1:43.90 125 '09 564 / 1955 Motortrend
32. Shelby GT500 1:44.30 124 '10 547 / 1767 Motortrend
33. Shelby Cobra 427 S/C 1:44.46 124 0 492 / 1136 Road&Track
34. Shelby GT500 1:44.72 124 '06 507 / 1807 Motor Trend
35. Shelby Mustang Cobra GT500KR 1:44.72 124 '08 540 / 1773 Motortrend

Close but the nod goes to the caddy at Laguna seca. I would be willing to bet the ZL1 will be faster than the CTS-V around the same track..... Hence believing that the ZL1 will beat the GT500 (at least at lugana seca). Ugggghhh Bench racing.... cant wait for REAL numbers!
http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html
When did I say road course?

Wasnt it clear I was talking about a drag race?

And your argument is flawed. Those numbers are from a 2010 GT500. The 2011 model is 3+ seconds faster on most road courses compared to the 2010 model.

So...the GT500 wins anyways.
__________________
no camaro right now :(
Previous camaros
Teal 1992 RS 305 TBI Auto first car
Black 1998 Z28 6 speed-HCIE-425rwhp
Black 2010 SS 6 speed-HCIE-505rwhp
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #231
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
When did I say road course?

Wasnt it clear I was talking about a drag race?

And your argument is flawed. Those numbers are from a 2010 GT500. The 2011 model is 3+ seconds faster on most road courses compared to the 2010 model.

So...the GT500 wins anyways.
I got your post's mixed up..... My bad.

I was replying to this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
How does anyone figure this will beat (let alone spank) a New gt500 at 3750-3800 lbs and 550 hp?....and with the ZL1 at 580 hp and 4200lbs.

If these figures are correct the camaro will actually be a bit slower.

I think the source is probably wrong and the car is about 4k and just a bit quicker than the GT500
Just because it is heavier does not mean it is automatically going to be slower......
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #232
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 5,216
Read through one of the horsepower prediction threads and haven't found one person that guessed 580 for the horsepower. A lot of people were close though.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #233
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,304
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post



No problem -- we'll take your name off the list.


by the way - I think you're going to be in for a surprise.




There's lots we've still not disclosed - so stay tuned.........
new FbodFather quote in sig
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #234
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,304
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Read through one of the horsepower prediction threads and haven't found one person that guessed 580 for the horsepower. A lot of people were close though.
I did much better on hp than I did on torque.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #235
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member
 
KLR ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: #708 Summit White ZL1 Del. 5/17
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pearland Tx.
Posts: 1,083
Would not take much to bump it over 600 HP. I wonder why the torque didn't increase with the horsepower. Sweet though, I can't wait to drive it.
__________________
Sometimes dreams do come true. #708
KLR ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #236
b4z

 
Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '09 V8 SRX RWD
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack2010 View Post
Would not take much to bump it over 600 HP. I wonder why the torque didn't increase with the horsepower. Sweet though, I can't wait to drive it.
It's not much to bump it up to 700hp at the crank either. Just ask the V guys on cadillacforums.com.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #237
ULTRAZLS1


 
ULTRAZLS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 silverado
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jackson, Michigan
Posts: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I got your post's mixed up..... My bad.

I was replying to this one...



Just because it is heavier does not mean it is automatically going to be slower......
No problem. And yes I agree. A lot of other factors to discuss etc...I was just throwing out the easiest/quickest way to compare them in a drag....which is power to weight. From a purely drag racing stand point power to weight is very important.

But 4200lbs is 4200 lbs. However the car ends up being/performing it could no doubt have been that much better with a few hundred less pounds to tow around.

And yes (to the mods) I am completely aware that this is not official...but it is still scary...because sometimes rumors are true. I am just talking what ifs here...nothing more

Either way I am not in a position to buy a ZL-1 right now...but I would still like to see it perform well.
__________________
no camaro right now :(
Previous camaros
Teal 1992 RS 305 TBI Auto first car
Black 1998 Z28 6 speed-HCIE-425rwhp
Black 2010 SS 6 speed-HCIE-505rwhp
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #238
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 WS6
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,423
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Let me state this
IT IS NOT CONFIRMED TO BE 4200 POUNDS
Now, we will have to wait till we see this. And sure the gt500 may get more horsepower, but there is no way it will perform near as well on a track.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT5 Camaro pics brantley847 Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 93 05-27-2013 08:35 PM
Camaro vs Corvette? Dr Jkel Chevy Camaro vs... 71 11-12-2010 01:39 PM
Im sure this has been asked before.. But forgive my innocence :) gmag21 Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 23 02-21-2010 10:29 PM
Torque Converters Explained tbyrne V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 0 01-07-2010 12:38 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 07:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.