Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 09-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #1
fgraciano1980
My First Chevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Question V6 manual transmission noises

I'm hoping to get some insight regarding the manual transmission on my V6

- If I'm in 1st gear and need engage the clutch quickly, I hear a clacking noise. Like there are loose parts. Doesn't seem to happen in other gears.

- When I go into Reverse I hear/feel and quick clunk as I start backing up. And when I put it into 1st, I hear/feel the same quick cluck as I go forward.

- While making low speed turns in Reverse/1st/2nd, clutch engaged or not, I can hear this low drone/humming sound.

My car has 6400 miles on it and I don't beat on it.

Last edited by fgraciano1980; 09-10-2011 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Changed description in 3rd question
fgraciano1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgraciano1980 View Post

- While making low speed turns in Reverse/1st/2nd, clutch engaged or not, I can hear this low rubbing or moaning sound.
Is this one coming from the rear? If so, it's just the differential. That is normal for a posi.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
fgraciano, if you're able to I would suggest speaking with your dealer about getting these issues checked out. Try and take one of the techs for a test drive to show them when it makes the noise and what it sounds like so they can diagnose the issues better. Hopefully that helps and you continue to run into issues let me know and I'll do what I can.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:24 AM   #4
fgraciano1980
My First Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
Is this one coming from the rear? If so, it's just the differential. That is normal for a posi.
Yeah, sounds like it's coming from the rear. I'll describe it more like a hum/drone, rather than what I described originally. Is this what you get too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
fgraciano, if you're able to I would suggest speaking with your dealer about getting these issues checked out. Try and take one of the techs for a test drive to show them when it makes the noise and what it sounds like so they can diagnose the issues better. Hopefully that helps and you continue to run into issues let me know and I'll do what I can.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Thanks for reaching out Jeff, I appreciate it. I thought I'd come here and ask first, just to see if these noises are common to the Camaro.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Yeah, sounds like it's coming from the rear. I'll describe it more like a hum/drone, rather than what I described originally. Is this what you get too?
The noise I hear sounds mostly like a tire rub.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:42 AM   #6
fgraciano1980
My First Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
The noise I hear sounds mostly like a tire rub.
I guess I can say it sounds similar to that.

When you go into Reverse and then 1st (or 1st and then Reverse) do you hear/feel a quick clunk as you start moving?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
- If I'm in 1st gear and need engage the clutch quickly, I hear a clacking noise. Like there are loose parts. Doesn't seem to happen in other gears.
That's the drive shaft moving around because tension from being in gear was released suddenly. Normal on an IRS car.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
ali01192

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6
Hi Guys, Im experiencing some issues with my v6 manual transmission. the clutch peddle knocks. when i have driven the car for a long time it knocks harder. there is also a ticking sound i can hear from the outside of the car. the sound kinda sounds like when your timing is off like a constant ticking. is this normal? I hope its not. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
ali01192 is offline   Reply With Quote