Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
shaggy1
The thin blue line
 
shaggy1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012, 2SS/RS,LS3,IOM/Beige
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North East, TX
Posts: 297
new Solo catback exhaust installed

Well,... My new Solo catback exhaust came in today. It was a very straight forward install. Its not a difficult install, but it was much easier since I had a car lift and an extra set of hands. It took me appx 1-1 1/2hrs to complete. I could have probably cut that time by 25 minutes if it had been on a coupe instead of a vert. It appeared to be a high quality product from my initional impression when I removed it from the boxes. After I got the factory exhaust off and the new Solo system installed came the moment of truth. I started it up and was very pleasantly surprised. I can best describe the sound as having just slightly more volume than the factory exhaust but with a deep classic rumble that just slightly gave a hint of the beat that was hidden under the hood. It did have a little more volume, appx 10% more at idle and cruise and appx 20% more at wide open throttle than the stock but noone could ever describe the Solo catback system as obnoxious, and also,..... just as advertised and previously reported by others,....."NO DRONE". Overall,... i'm very pleased with the Solo Catback exhaust and now have plans on adding the Solo high flow cats. So,.... for those on the fence,... who are looking for a great sounding, drone free exhaust that isnt gonna upset the neighbors,... the Solo Mach XC catback will not disappoint.
shaggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
montreal2010yellow


 
montreal2010yellow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Join Date: May 2010
Location: LAVAL (10 min. north of Montreal), CANADA
Posts: 3,531
Just wait after a few thousand miles and you'll be happier.

For some reason the sound got better and better with mine, even if it's a V6.

Wait and see, I'm sure you'll like the grumble when compressing.
__________________
T2 Facia, ACS TL1 Hood, ACS Winglets. G5CR CAI. Hotchsic Strut Brace and more...
montreal2010yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
dshep214

 
dshep214's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ssRS Ls3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cabot, AR
Posts: 1,241
I have one on my Ls3 and yes after a few thousand miles it gets a little louder and meaner sounding. I love mine
dshep214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
myold88


 
myold88's Avatar
 
Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ct.
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshep214 View Post
I have one on my Ls3 and yes after a few thousand miles it gets a little louder and meaner sounding. I love mine
After 2-3 thousand miles my Solos keep getting louder and louder but I hope their done now-
Perfect deep rumble, snap, crackle, pop.....
__________________
myold88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Juiced1
JUICED MOTORSPORTS

 
Juiced1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 10,876
Congrats on the system. Glad to hear the install went quick and easy. One note however....That system is probably a little louder then you think. They do an excellent job at keeping the cabin quite and drone free. Its usually louder outside but like you mentioned. Its not gonna wake the neighbors. Wait till you get those high flow cats to match.
__________________
Get more Power per Dollar!!!! We carry all the hot new products for your 5th gen! CAI, Roto-Fab, Solo, Corsa, MBRP, ARH, Stainless Works, MRT, SLP, Procharger, Whipple, BMR, Diablosport, Superchips, Street Scene, VFN Fiberglass and much more. Contact us for your Camaro5 discount today!
Call us at 224-63-JUICE - 224-400-5793
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
ssmike
Missing Big Red
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 6,245
Yea, the high flows will definatly wake up the neighbors! I love my Solo syatem and along with LT headers and high flows....! I had to add resonators at the back end to settle it down some! Now it's perfect!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
shaggy1
The thin blue line
 
shaggy1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012, 2SS/RS,LS3,IOM/Beige
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North East, TX
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Congrats on the system. Glad to hear the install went quick and easy. One note however....That system is probably a little louder then you think. They do an excellent job at keeping the cabin quite and drone free. Its usually louder outside but like you mentioned. Its not gonna wake the neighbors. Wait till you get those high flow cats to match.
Well,... I probably spoke a little too soon about the install being "easy". I've had a few issues with the pipes rubbing/rattling on the front cross brace. It just seemed the flex from the cats made it difficult keeping it from touching when hitting a bump or going over rough roads. In the end I wound up using a couple washers on all the bolts between the frame and front cross braces to give just a hair more clearence and I made a point to go over a few bumpy roads and even railroads tracks and it seems to have cured my problem.
Yeah, your right I just realized that the exhaust is a little louder than I was thinking outside of the car because its so quiet on the insided, but sounds just perfect.
shaggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
VictoryMuscleCars

 
VictoryMuscleCars's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS RS Convert
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy1 View Post
Overall,... i'm very pleased with the Solo Catback exhaust and now have plans on adding the Solo high flow cats. So,.... for those on the fence,... who are looking for a great sounding, drone free exhaust that isnt gonna upset the neighbors,... the Solo Mach XC catback will not disappoint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Wait till you get those high flow cats to match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Yea, the high flows will definatly wake up the neighbors!
Ah yeah... what those guys said!! The Solo high flow cats will wake the beast within!!
__________________
Tom P
VictoryMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
thallman91
 
thallman91's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS VR Vert!
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy1 View Post
Well,... My new Solo catback exhaust came in today. It was a very straight forward install. Its not a difficult install, but it was much easier since I had a car lift and an extra set of hands. It took me appx 1-1 1/2hrs to complete. I could have probably cut that time by 25 minutes if it had been on a coupe instead of a vert. It appeared to be a high quality product from my initional impression when I removed it from the boxes. After I got the factory exhaust off and the new Solo system installed came the moment of truth. I started it up and was very pleasantly surprised. I can best describe the sound as having just slightly more volume than the factory exhaust but with a deep classic rumble that just slightly gave a hint of the beat that was hidden under the hood. It did have a little more volume, appx 10% more at idle and cruise and appx 20% more at wide open throttle than the stock but noone could ever describe the Solo catback system as obnoxious, and also,..... just as advertised and previously reported by others,....."NO DRONE". Overall,... i'm very pleased with the Solo Catback exhaust and now have plans on adding the Solo high flow cats. So,.... for those on the fence,... who are looking for a great sounding, drone free exhaust that isnt gonna upset the neighbors,... the Solo Mach XC catback will not disappoint.
I'd love to get your thoughts after you add the Solo High Flow cats. I also added a Catback to my '11 VR Vert and love it. But I also expected it to be "louder". I'll give it time as many on here have suggested...and I don't want it to be an "18 year old loud muscle car". Not trying to go that loud...but do want some more rumble. If you do add the high flow cats..please post some before and after vids. Thanks!
__________________

2011 Victory Red Convertible - 2SS/RS
Completed Mods: Roto-Fab CAI, Side vents, SOLO Cat-Back and High Flow Cats, VR Painted Engine Cover, ZL1 GFX, Hot Wheels Badging and Sills, HWSE 20" Wheels
Considering Mods: Backup Camera and internal screen


Fedorov for President! Ovechkin for Vice!
thallman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
LS3 SS

 
LS3 SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Clarksville TN
Posts: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by thallman91 View Post
I'd love to get your thoughts after you add the Solo High Flow cats. I also added a Catback to my '11 VR Vert and love it. But I also expected it to be "louder". I'll give it time as many on here have suggested...and I don't want it to be an "18 year old loud muscle car". Not trying to go that loud...but do want some more rumble. If you do add the high flow cats..please post some before and after vids. Thanks!
I can tell you that adding high flow cats will make the car sound as it's supposed to. Just having the Solo Catback makes the car more enjoyable to drive, but when you add the cats, it literally wakes the entire exhaust system up, making the CAR more fun to drive.

I opted to go with JBA high flows because of pricing (two reputable companies, JBA priced at 390$, Solo priced at 575$) and I have not regretted it once.

At cold start up, it is SUPER LOUD. Your neighbors will wake up, and it can be heard from very far away until the engine warms up and the idle drops. After the idle drops, it has a nice deep loping exhaust note and a rumble at low throttle. At wide open throttle, it is a MONSTER.
__________________
PCM of NC '545' Cam/PRC 255s/GM 3.91s/ProCharger D1SC @9psi 669 rwhp/546 rwtq Tuned by Alvin @ PCM of NC
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help me choose.... sfgiantsfan9 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 25 11-22-2010 10:34 AM
SOLO Performance Exhaust Product Videos for the Camaro GOINGSOLO2 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 6 08-10-2010 10:20 AM
Dynojet results for intake, headers, exhaust with SOLO hiflow cats! topgun1 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 17 07-02-2010 06:52 AM
SOLO Performance Camaro Exhaust Sound Clips Compilation GOINGSOLO2 V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 29 04-11-2010 08:11 PM
EXHAUST Milk 1027 Wiki 2 03-07-2010 09:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.