Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 09-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
shaggy1
The thin blue line

Drives: 2012, 2SS/RS,LS3,IOM/Beige
new Solo catback exhaust installed

Well,... My new Solo catback exhaust came in today. It was a very straight forward install. Its not a difficult install, but it was much easier since I had a car lift and an extra set of hands. It took me appx 1-1 1/2hrs to complete. I could have probably cut that time by 25 minutes if it had been on a coupe instead of a vert. It appeared to be a high quality product from my initional impression when I removed it from the boxes. After I got the factory exhaust off and the new Solo system installed came the moment of truth. I started it up and was very pleasantly surprised. I can best describe the sound as having just slightly more volume than the factory exhaust but with a deep classic rumble that just slightly gave a hint of the beat that was hidden under the hood. It did have a little more volume, appx 10% more at idle and cruise and appx 20% more at wide open throttle than the stock but noone could ever describe the Solo catback system as obnoxious, and also,..... just as advertised and previously reported by others,....."NO DRONE". Overall,... i'm very pleased with the Solo Catback exhaust and now have plans on adding the Solo high flow cats. So,.... for those on the fence,... who are looking for a great sounding, drone free exhaust that isnt gonna upset the neighbors,... the Solo Mach XC catback will not disappoint.
shaggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Just wait after a few thousand miles and you'll be happier.

For some reason the sound got better and better with mine, even if it's a V6.

Wait and see, I'm sure you'll like the grumble when compressing.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
dshep214

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ssRS Ls3
I have one on my Ls3 and yes after a few thousand miles it gets a little louder and meaner sounding. I love mine
dshep214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshep214 View Post
I have one on my Ls3 and yes after a few thousand miles it gets a little louder and meaner sounding. I love mine
After 2-3 thousand miles my Solos keep getting louder and louder but I hope their done now-
Perfect deep rumble, snap, crackle, pop.....
Old 09-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Juiced1
JUICED MOTORSPORTS

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Congrats on the system. Glad to hear the install went quick and easy. One note however....That system is probably a little louder then you think. They do an excellent job at keeping the cabin quite and drone free. Its usually louder outside but like you mentioned. Its not gonna wake the neighbors. Wait till you get those high flow cats to match.
Get more Power per Dollar!!!! We carry all the hot new products for your 5th gen! CAI, Roto-Fab, Solo, Corsa, MBRP, ARH, Stainless Works, MRT, SLP, Procharger, Whipple, BMR, Diablosport, Superchips, Street Scene, VFN Fiberglass and much more. Contact us for your Camaro5 discount today!
Call us at 224-63-JUICE - 224-400-5793
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Yea, the high flows will definatly wake up the neighbors! I love my Solo syatem and along with LT headers and high flows....! I had to add resonators at the back end to settle it down some! Now it's perfect!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
shaggy1
The thin blue line

Drives: 2012, 2SS/RS,LS3,IOM/Beige
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Congrats on the system. Glad to hear the install went quick and easy. One note however....That system is probably a little louder then you think. They do an excellent job at keeping the cabin quite and drone free. Its usually louder outside but like you mentioned. Its not gonna wake the neighbors. Wait till you get those high flow cats to match.
Well,... I probably spoke a little too soon about the install being "easy". I've had a few issues with the pipes rubbing/rattling on the front cross brace. It just seemed the flex from the cats made it difficult keeping it from touching when hitting a bump or going over rough roads. In the end I wound up using a couple washers on all the bolts between the frame and front cross braces to give just a hair more clearence and I made a point to go over a few bumpy roads and even railroads tracks and it seems to have cured my problem.
Yeah, your right I just realized that the exhaust is a little louder than I was thinking outside of the car because its so quiet on the insided, but sounds just perfect.
shaggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
VictoryMuscleCars

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS RS Convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy1 View Post
Overall,... i'm very pleased with the Solo Catback exhaust and now have plans on adding the Solo high flow cats. So,.... for those on the fence,... who are looking for a great sounding, drone free exhaust that isnt gonna upset the neighbors,... the Solo Mach XC catback will not disappoint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Wait till you get those high flow cats to match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Yea, the high flows will definatly wake up the neighbors!
Ah yeah... what those guys said!! The Solo high flow cats will wake the beast within!!
Old 09-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
thallman91

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS VR Vert!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy1 View Post
Well,... My new Solo catback exhaust came in today. It was a very straight forward install. Its not a difficult install, but it was much easier since I had a car lift and an extra set of hands. It took me appx 1-1 1/2hrs to complete. I could have probably cut that time by 25 minutes if it had been on a coupe instead of a vert. It appeared to be a high quality product from my initional impression when I removed it from the boxes. After I got the factory exhaust off and the new Solo system installed came the moment of truth. I started it up and was very pleasantly surprised. I can best describe the sound as having just slightly more volume than the factory exhaust but with a deep classic rumble that just slightly gave a hint of the beat that was hidden under the hood. It did have a little more volume, appx 10% more at idle and cruise and appx 20% more at wide open throttle than the stock but noone could ever describe the Solo catback system as obnoxious, and also,..... just as advertised and previously reported by others,....."NO DRONE". Overall,... i'm very pleased with the Solo Catback exhaust and now have plans on adding the Solo high flow cats. So,.... for those on the fence,... who are looking for a great sounding, drone free exhaust that isnt gonna upset the neighbors,... the Solo Mach XC catback will not disappoint.
I'd love to get your thoughts after you add the Solo High Flow cats. I also added a Catback to my '11 VR Vert and love it. But I also expected it to be "louder". I'll give it time as many on here have suggested...and I don't want it to be an "18 year old loud muscle car". Not trying to go that loud...but do want some more rumble. If you do add the high flow cats..please post some before and after vids. Thanks!

2011 Victory Red Convertible - 2SS/RS
Completed Mods: Roto-Fab CAI, Side vents, SOLO Cat-Back and High Flow Cats, VR Painted Engine Cover, ZL1 GFX, Hot Wheels Badging and Sills, HWSE 20" Wheels
Considering Mods: Backup Camera and internal screen

Fedorov for President! Ovechkin for Vice!
thallman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thallman91 View Post
I'd love to get your thoughts after you add the Solo High Flow cats. I also added a Catback to my '11 VR Vert and love it. But I also expected it to be "louder". I'll give it time as many on here have suggested...and I don't want it to be an "18 year old loud muscle car". Not trying to go that loud...but do want some more rumble. If you do add the high flow cats..please post some before and after vids. Thanks!
I can tell you that adding high flow cats will make the car sound as it's supposed to. Just having the Solo Catback makes the car more enjoyable to drive, but when you add the cats, it literally wakes the entire exhaust system up, making the CAR more fun to drive.

I opted to go with JBA high flows because of pricing (two reputable companies, JBA priced at 390$, Solo priced at 575$) and I have not regretted it once.

At cold start up, it is SUPER LOUD. Your neighbors will wake up, and it can be heard from very far away until the engine warms up and the idle drops. After the idle drops, it has a nice deep loping exhaust note and a rumble at low throttle. At wide open throttle, it is a MONSTER.