Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
White_2_SS

Drives: 2011 2SS M6
New cradle bushings in 3.5 hours at home

I just finished installing my new energy cradle bushings. I removed the j pipes on my cat back and then removed the whole cradle. I did this in the garage with one floor jack by my self. Using an impact on the exhaust and cradle bolts. All other bolts done by hand. Start to finish was 3.5 hours. Not near as bad as every one made it seem.
White_2_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
ducq

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 blck w/ IOM
Good stuff, after reading some horror stories, I'm a bit nervous about the BMR cradle inserts I'm gonna attempt soon. I only have a 3/8" torque wrench that goes up to 75 ft lbs. I read the cradle bolts should be torqued to 130 lbs tho. I'm thinking of torqueing them to 75lbs then tightening them on a bit more. Did you use blue thread lock on anything? Or is that only for sway bar/ endlinks nuts?
Old 09-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Honestly....130 is a bit. I did mine to 120 and think it's possibly to much still. Put a little blue locktight and got with the 75 lbs and I'll bet you'll be fine.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
White_2_SS

I did not use any thread lock. I was in no hurry when doing this either. I took my time and did not rush any thing. I figured if I was going to do the work might as well do the full bushings and not just the inserts.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
I don't believe you HAVE to remove the whole cradle for just inserts, ducq

With full bushings, as OP is referencing, may be a different story. I went with inserts for rear cradle, full bush for the remaining...
Performance: 439 RWHP A6: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, FTI Converter, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Appearance:Smoked side markers and black bowties. Blk / Blue Carbon Fiber interior trim.

Next in order: F14s, 3.70 gears, DSS Axles, End links/Toe rods/trailing arms, Ported heads, S/C.

1100 7/02 Ordered
3800 8/09 Order produced
4200 8/13 Shipped
6000 8/24 HOME!
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
White_2_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post

With full bushings, as OP is referencing, may be a different story. I went with inserts for rear cradle, full bush for the remaining...

You are correct. Inserts would have been less then half the time for me.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post

I did full bushings without taking it down. It was definitely tougher to cut out the stock bushings but wasn't terrible; just took a while. If the place had a proper tranny jack lowering it would have been easier for the cutting but would have required removing the exhaust too. The equipment a person has available will determine the "best" method for them.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_2_SS View Post
I just finished installing my new energy cradle bushings. I removed the j pipes on my cat back and then removed the whole cradle. I did this in the garage with one floor jack by my self. Using an impact on the exhaust and cradle bolts. All other bolts done by hand. Start to finish was 3.5 hours. Not near as bad as every one made it seem.
Nice, I'll be doing mine in the garage at home. I have a motorcycle jack which I will probably utilize to support/lower the cradle.

How high did you have the car on Jack stands?

Thanks!
Brad
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
White_2_SS

Mine was done with all basic tools that most car people have. That was why I posted this. I have seen where several people said this was a hard task. That is not so. I was going to cut them out at first. I decided I could remove it and get them out quicker. I did not cut them to remove them as most people have done. A floor jack worked perfect with no problems at all. I think it's more about machanical know how.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
White_2_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris View Post
Nice, I'll be doing mine in the garage at home. I have a motorcycle jack which I will probably utilize to support/lower the cradle.

How high did you have the car on Jack stands?

Thanks!
Brad
My jack stands are 15" all the way down. I left them down and placed them in front of the rear wheels on the frame rails if you want to call them that. I have some cell phone pics I will post later and explain some of what I did.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
That is plenty of explanation for me I have a set of 15" stands. Was just asking cause I wasnt sure if I would need to pick it up higher.

I'm just waiting on some more parts to show up so I can do it all at once.
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Mine was done with all basic tools that most car people have. That was why I posted this. I have seen where several people said this was a hard task. That is not so. I was going to cut them out at first. I decided I could remove it and get them out quicker. I did not cut them to remove them as most people have done. A floor jack worked perfect with no problems at all. I think it's more about machanical know how.
How did you get them out without cutting?
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
ducq

In the videos, the metal washers they pop out with an air gun, are these metal washers reused and placed back on? Or do the inserts take their place
Old 09-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
White_2_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhog View Post
How did you get them out without cutting?

when the carage is out. You will see the bushing is put in from the bottom and sticks out above the carage on the top side. You trim the top side of the bushing flush with the carage half way around. Then you will take a chizel and drive it between the bushing and carage. this will break the plastic housing. The chizel I used was about 1/2 diameter. Then take a hammer and 6-7 good hits to the top of the bushing and it will come out.

Yes you will reuse the washers
Old 09-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
White_2_SS

here are the pics

Old 09-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
ducq

I got my cradle inserts and sway bars + endlinks from ups. is it okay to do sways and end links one day then inserts another? Or is it like a, while you have the sways and endlinks off, might as well do inserts kinda thing. I mean, do the sways or end links interfere with the cradle bushing inserts install at all?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #17
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducq View Post
I got my cradle inserts and sway bars + endlinks from ups. is it okay to do sways and end links one day then inserts another? Or is it like a, while you have the sways and endlinks off, might as well do inserts kinda thing. I mean, do the sways or end links interfere with the cradle bushing inserts install at all?
You can do them separately. You do not have to touch one when working on the other.

The only advantage to doing them together is the setup/cleanup times are reduced (jacking, removing wheels, getting tools out, cleanup, etc.)

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #18
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
I agree, not a hard job at all. I've done 3-4 cars and no problems
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #19
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducq View Post
I would still do them at the same time if it were me. In my case I didn't remove my exhaust so when I lowered my cradle the big sway bars hit the exhaust. I ended up having to take the sways loose, but not out, so I could move them up out of the way and lower the cradle more.

If you remove your exhaust thats not an issue. If you don't plan to remove your exhaust then I would remove the OEM sway bar, then do the inserts, then put the aftermarket sway bar on last.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #20
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Doing mine this week: bmr inserts and toe rods since you have to drop subframe to get ot upper toe bolt. Already have sways and trailing arms. I am taking my exhaust off as well just less to work around!
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Nitto 555R@25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #21
Synner

The exhaust was never close to being in my way and I did full replacements which required it to go even lower than inserts do. I think you're just making extra work for yourself.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #22
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
You did the full bushings without taking exhaust off? I am thinking of doing diffbushings at same time to. U think that can be done without removing even though instructions say so.
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Nitto 555R@25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #23
Synner

Yes full bushings; exhaust never got touched. If you do the diff the exhaust will need to come down.

Last edited by Synner; 08-10-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #24
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
I've built 2 cars starting with welding up my own frames using only standard tools (no air tools) along with a mig welder and chop saw. I built on them about 4-5 hours per night after work and 6 to 10 hours/day on the weekends. I started only with straight, (mostly) rust-free bodies...I abhor body work. he body work was traded for engine builds. I don't work on (automatic) trannies or differentials. Those procedures are left to folks that know what they are doing. The cost is reasonable when you drop off a transmission or rearend and tell the builder you'll pick it up the next week. Paying upfront and in cash also helps keep charges to a minimum.

HALF of all mechanical knowhow is logic and patience. Don't ask about the dents/holes in my garage - it's my episodes of losing patience and throwing the nearest tool.

RIP William Tyler "Grumpy" Jenkins - b 12-22-1930 d - 03-29-2012
Thanks Bill, for showing all the non-believers a 331" small block Chevy powered car could outrun a 426 Hemi powered car. Thanks for the tube chassis, the splay valve small block cylinder heads, the strut front suspension, and the dry sump oiling system. I applaud your becoming the once king of the NA motors builders. Most of all, thanks for the racing memories and inspiring many young guys to follow in your footsteps.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote