Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
del-boy
"Grumble Bee"

Drives: Cyber Grey Camaro SS/RS
Exclamation Sterio face plate... SCRATCHES!!!!!! ... grr

hey everyone... noticed little scratches on my sterio face plate after getting it detialed and i understand from lookin at other posts and talkin to peeps that it does scratch INSANELY easily....

two options i see so far are:

- ghost armour
or
- Plastic polish of some kind...

my question is,

have any of ya'll tried these?

and does the armor ACTUALLY cover up pre existing scratches as well as protects from future ones???

thanks guys and gals!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Chiefish

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I have noticed this in a couple other cars with the radio display of the same plastic material. They all seem to scratch very easily, I was thinking of a piece of clear mylar like the chip gaurd on the outside of the cars would prevent this, but I am not sure how that would look on it.
Chiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
I bought one of these...http://camarodecalstore.com/RADIO-FA...ER-RFC-110.htm

Heres the TSB from GM on polishing it out.......

Service Information

2011 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro VIN F Service Manual | Document ID: 2677727
#09-08-44-015E: Radio Display Screen Scratches and Scuffs (Polish Display Screen) - (Jun 20, 2011)

Subject:Radio Display Screen Scratches and Scuffs (Polish Display Screen)

Models:2010-2012 Chevrolet Camaro
2006-2010 Pontiac Solstice
2007-2010 Saturn SKY

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2012 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-08-44-015D (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment on scratches and scuffs on the radio display screen.

Cause

This condition may be caused by wiping the screen with a dirty cleaning cloth, paper towels or wiping the dirty screen with a bare hand. The high gloss finish on the radio display screen may have a tendency to show these scratches and scuffs. Different viewing conditions, such as bright sun light, may also make the scratches more apparent.

Correction

A GM-authorized dealership or detail shop may use the following procedure to correct the condition. Any scratches that are not removed by this procedure are too severe to be restored. Do not attempt to use a more aggressive material to remove deep scratches. The use of more aggressive materials may dull or damage the display screen.
  1. Clean the radio display screen and surrounding area with a clean, damp (not wet) soft cotton cloth or a micro-fiber cloth. Do not use any cleaners or solvents - use only clean warm water. Important: Use only high quality automotive-type masking tape. Do not use cloth-type tape as it may damage the soft touch finish on the instrument panel. Remove the tape immediately after the polishing process is completed.

1. Mask off the surrounding area as shown to prevent damage or staining from the polishing material (Camaro shown, Solstice and SKY similar). Apply a small amount of GM Swirl Remover Polish, P/N 12377965 (In Canada, use Meguiars brand PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner Polish*), to a soft cotton cloth or micro-fiber cloth. Hand polish the display screen using a circular motion. Polish the display until satisfactory results are achieved. Finish the process with a clean portion of the polishing cloth using a straight cross-car motion. Remove the masking tape from the surrounding area.
  2. Clean the radio display screen and surrounding area with a clean, damp (not wet) soft cotton cloth or a micro-fiber cloth to pick up any dust left from the polishing procedure. Do not use any cleaners or solvents - use only clean warm water.
* We believe these sources and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from these firms or for any such items which may be available from other sources.

Parts Information

Part Number - 12377965
Description - GM Swirl Remover Polish
G 12310 (Canada)
Meguiars brand PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner Polish

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
R9768*
Restore Radio Display Screen
0.4 hr
*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2011 General Motors. All rights reserved.

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'07 SILVERADO Z71 1500 Ext.Cab Z71 6.0 "VortecMAX"-GMPP CAI-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
tonytahoe

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS
Ghost Armor

I read about Ghost Armor on previous posts.So I decided to try it on the Radio face.My car was new so I didn't have any scratches on the radio.It went on easy and seems to be tuff enough to resist goughing if the radio face is bumped or rubbed against.-Dont know if it will cover existing scratches,maybe if they are fine enough.
tonytahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
http://www.ghost-armor.com/Chevrolet...adio_Face.html

Had it before the car arrived. Then put it on ASAP before any scratches could be on it. Absolutely no issues. They make a complete interior kit too, but not sure how much you would need that.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
thebighar

Drives: 2010 1LT CGM RS/CC
Ghost armor is the best...precut to fit. Don't buff out scratches, you're just gonna scratch it again..duh. ghost armor also will cover up scratches as long as their not too bad. Expensive but worth it
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
egp

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I put the entire GhostArmor kit on, including radio face, all gages, headlights, fog lights, and front turn signals.
egp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
enyce0387

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs ls3
i still have the plastic my car was shipped with from the factory on....some people say im nuts but no scratches
enyce0387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Another vote for Ghost Armour! Prevents scratches and I can swipe the dust away without worry.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
2SS BUMBLBE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/L99
I have the complete Ghost Armor kit: radio face, gauge cluster, speedo/tach/DIC, headlights, turn-signals, tail lights, door handle cups. The only complaint I have about them is the tail light ones are a tiny bit too large and a pain to get the bubbles out from under. Other than that, they are great and all but invisible.

I even have their kit for my iPhone.
2SS BUMBLBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #11
del-boy
"Grumble Bee"

awesome.. thanks for the advice peeps!

greatly appreciated!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
pyledrivr
SW

Drives: 2011 Camaro Summit White
+1 Ghost armour

2011 Summit White LS
pyledrivr@hotmail.com
pyledrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
Ghost Armor. It was a bit of a hassle the first time I tried it but it works great!
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
SSSugar
American Muscle Car Club

Drives: '11 2SS/RS Summit White/IOM stripes
Ordered Ghost Armor for both of ours yesterday! Thanks for the tips on this.

1972 Camaro Z-28 (Baby), Haul Ass Orange w/black stripes, 350 crate motor, black powder coated wheels
License Plate: 2Cool Z

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (Spice), Inferno Orange Metallic w/painted Summit White rally stripes, LS3 6-speed (HIS) License Plate: 2Cool SS

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Sugar), Summit White w/ painted Inferno Orange Metallic rally stripes, Inferno Orange interior, L99 automatic (HERS) License Plate: 1Kool SS
SSSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
The Meguiar's plastic polish works wonders. I've used it for years and it doesn't just cover up the scratches.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
cybercoaster

Drives: '12 ZL1 AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebighar View Post
Ghost armor is the best...precut to fit. Don't buff out scratches, you're just gonna scratch it again..duh. ghost armor also will cover up scratches as long as their not too bad. Expensive but worth it
I agree, they put it on for me at CamaroFest and it covered up the small scratches plus it just makes it look better

And while I was at the booth, they put some on my Canon DSLR
Old 09-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
KIZE
www.gkiser.com

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, Auto, Summit White. R
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
http://www.ghost-armor.com/Chevrolet...adio_Face.html

Had it before the car arrived. Then put it on ASAP before any scratches could be on it. Absolutely no issues. They make a complete interior kit too, but not sure how much you would need that.
Ditto

Roto-fab CAI, GMPP exhaust with tips, Pistol Grip shifter with paddle switches, 'Chevrolet' aluminum kick plates, Aluminum Bow Ties, ClearBra front bumper/facia + side views + gills + behind door handles. SS floormats. www.gkiser.com
KIZE www.gkiser.com
KIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #18
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Have the one from camarodecalstore and it works great at a much cheaper price.
rdblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #19
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Got my ghost armor at c5f2, covered up the few small scratches i had and still looks brand new to this day.

Good stuff and worth the money.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #20
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I recommend ghost armor. Had a large scrape across 3/4 my radio face- ghost armor disappeared the whole thin seamlessly

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #21
Mark's SS

Drives: 2014 Silverado Double Cab LTZ 4x4
One day recently I noticed some minor scratches on my stereo face plate. A little polish on a microfiber towel and good as new.
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:54 AM   #22
del-boy
"Grumble Bee"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's SS View Post
One day recently I noticed some minor scratches on my stereo face plate. A little polish on a microfiber towel and good as new.

what kind of polish dude?
Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #23
Mark's SS

Drives: 2014 Silverado Double Cab LTZ 4x4
I used some FLITZ polish on mine with good results. I only had minor scratches. Just a quick polish with a microfiber cloth and it came out looking brand new. I would guess that any mild polish that is safe for plastic (like what you would use on headlights) would work.
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #24
DVAS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
someone said previously on here that they went to a local tinit shop, had 'window" tint laid over it and looked good as new? Good Luck
DVAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #25
Mustang Killa

Drives: Black 2SS
This exact issue is how/why we go involved with Camaros (and i have one)

Here is one we did at Camarofest 2

Before Ghost Armor w/tons of scratches!:

After Ghost Armor (filled in the scratches):

This is not "vinyl" or a decal..its very tough composite polyurethane, very strong similar to clear bra.

Thanks to everyone else showin Ghost Armor some love!!

Dont forget your coupon code "Camaro5"
Mustang Killa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
detailing, face plate, radio, scratches, stereo, sterio