Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
Aircraft remover + MS wheel question

Just a question but if you put aircraft remover on a factory MS wheel will it remove the paint to give it a polished wheel effect? Tried this on my streetbike wheels and the wheel ended up with the polished result.
black. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Carver1

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Since the polished wheel is an upgrade from the MS, I doubt it is polished underneath. It is most likely just aluminum. You could polish it afterwords maybe?

Carver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by black. View Post
Just a question but if you put aircraft remover on a factory MS wheel will it remove the paint to give it a polished wheel effect? Tried this on my streetbike wheels and the wheel ended up with the polished result.
Hmmm.....Don't know of anything you can put on an aircraft that will remove it. Maybe David Copperfield, but......
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
If you do this, you will come to a black primer layer under the silver clearcoat and then the actual aluminum beneath the black primer.

I've seen guys strip the paint off motorcycle wheels but let me tell you, it took a good amount of time behind the polishing wheel before they shined up like mirrors. You will encounter the same thing here. LOTS of work.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
If you do this, you will come to a black primer layer under the silver clearcoat and then the actual aluminum beneath the black primer.

I've seen guys strip the paint off motorcycle wheels but let me tell you, it took a good amount of time behind the polishing wheel before they shined up like mirrors. You will encounter the same thing here. LOTS of work.
Thanks, that makes sense.
black. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by black. View Post
I recently stripped a midnight silver wheel using aircraft paint remover and the wheel WAS polished underneath the paint.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: RED DEMON!
I have the silver 20" wheels, definitely would like the polished wheels better!
Anyone else do this?
Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
How did you get an Aircraft stuck to your wheels?
Old 09-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEP RT View Post
How did you get an Aircraft stuck to your wheels?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #10
TheHorse13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I recently stripped a midnight silver wheel using aircraft paint remover and the wheel WAS polished underneath the paint.
I'm really surprised to hear that they are polished at the base. Makes you wonder how the primer was able to stick to the surface.

Did you strip the entire wheel? How much work is involved? Do you have any decent pics of the polished surface.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #11
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
I'm really surprised to hear that they are polished at the base. Makes you wonder how the primer was able to stick to the surface.

Did you strip the entire wheel? How much work is involved? Do you have any decent pics of the polished surface.

Thanks.

I would be shocked if GM would take a polished wheel and "downgrade" it by painting it, smells fishy to me......
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #12
CFD

Quote:

Thanks.
When I bought the wheels used here on the forum, one polished and one midnight silver, I was planning on doing some mods to them. When I stripped them the clear coat on the polished wheel came off very easily, the midnight silver wheel was a lot more work. I did strip the whole wheel, it took several coats to strip it. When stripped there was very little difference between the polished and painted wheels finish. I did take a couple of pictures although not that great as you can see by the old paint on the floor this shot is of the wheel during the stripping process. The spokes of the wheel have been scuffed to prep for welding but the outside rim area is untouched and as stripped. As you bcan see there is no real difference.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #13
TheHorse13

Yea, I can see what you're saying. I would not have guessed that a smooth surface existed under the primer and clearcoat.

How long did it take you to strip the painted wheel?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #14
CFD

Quote:
Yea, I can see what you're saying. I would not have guessed that a smooth surface existed under the primer and clearcoat.

How long did it take you to strip the painted wheel?
I was surprised at the finish under the paint myself although because of my plans I was not concerned.

As I mentioned, the polished clearcoated wheel stripped almost instantly, the painted wheel was quite a bit of work. 1st coat of remover took off the clearcoat, second painted surface and or base coat(at that point couldn't tell the difference) it took several more coats. The inside of the wheel is especially difficult as it is not a smooth surface. I used a plastic body filler aplicator cut so it has a sharper edge to scrape the paint off, this does not harm the surface like a scraper will and allow for easier polishing after.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #15
TheHorse13

Ahh, ok. So then the process is the same as motorcycle wheels. They shine up like mirrors once you take a buffing wheel to them. Thanks for the info and the pics. Now I know what to expect if I ever want to go with the chrome wheel look.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #16
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
Quote:
When I bought the wheels used here on the forum, one polished and one midnight silver, I was planning on doing some mods to them. When I stripped them the clear coat on the polished wheel came off very easily, the midnight silver wheel was a lot more work. I did strip the whole wheel, it took several coats to strip it. When stripped there was very little difference between the polished and painted wheels finish. I did take a couple of pictures although not that great as you can see by the old paint on the floor this shot is of the wheel during the stripping process. The spokes of the wheel have been scuffed to prep for welding but the outside rim area is untouched and as stripped. As you bcan see there is no real difference.
Really curious what you are making from these wheels??? Do tell!!

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #17
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapppy666 View Post
Really curious what you are making from these wheels??? Do tell!!
I started a thread a while back on possible hub caps but since then I have taken a different approach. I am actually working on the wheels now and will be posting pics on a build thread I started to keep all my projects in one place. I will be updating the thread with the wheels this evening so you can see them here tonight.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170726
Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #18
Big Brunsy

Drives: Silverado
if you strip them down and blast them they will look like this...

Old 09-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #19
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brunsy View Post
if you strip them down and blast them they will look like this...

By the way the wheels I pictured are the ones I purchased from you.

If you strip the wheels and blast them it's an excellent surface for re-painting or powdercoating. If the intension is to re-polish them a blasted surface requires much more work than the stripped only wheel.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #20
Big Brunsy

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
By the way the wheels I pictured are the ones I purchased from you.

If you strip the wheels and blast them it's an excellent surface for re-painting or powdercoating. If the intension is to re-polish them a blasted surface requires much more work than the stripped only wheel.

I was wondering about that. Can't wait to see the finished product. And yeah, I had mine powdercoated so thats why they got blasted.