Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
lsuguy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
lsuguys's 2011 Camaro

Backstory:

I have always loved Camaro's and over the years have almost pulled the trigger on a first gen several times. Work schedule along with not really having a dedicated place to take on a build kept me from going ahead with a purchase.

When the 5th gen Camaro's were announced I immediately knew I would have one. Spring of this year I started looking around and test drove a SS manual 6 at my local dealer. We haggled back and forth for several weeks but they just didn't seem ready to sell a car.

In comes Camaro 5 and Becky at Rodgers Chevrolet . Within a week I had paperwork in hand and the purchase was made on 6/02/2011. I knew she gets a lot of attention on these boards but trust me when I say it's well deserved. She worked with me more than any local dealer would and was great post sale as well.

These are the first Pictures I received from Becky of the car. The first shows the heritage grill I had installed and the second shows the matte black stripes going on.

Current Mods:

Exterior:
GM Heritage Grill
Matte Black Racing Stripes
Window Tint (20%)
Sidemarker/Reverse Light Tint
Rear Bowtie Blackout
3M Clear Bra
Painted Tail Light Bezels

Interior:
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Subthump Rear Firing Box
1 - 12" Image Dynamics ID12V3
6.5" Image Dynamics Components
Memphis MC-3004 4 Channel Amplifier
Memphis MC-500D Mono Amplifier
Knuconcepts Wiring/Interconnects

Performance:
Cold Air Inductions Intake
ADM Race Scoop
Vmaxx Ported Throttle Body
160 Degree Thermostat
ARH 1-7/8" Headers
Stainless Works Retro Cat Back Exhaust
Dyno/Street Tune by Lethal Racing

Suspension:
Pfadt Stage 2 Suspension Package
BMR Rear Cradle Inserts

Purchased but not installed:
Racing Brake Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Thanks for looking. I will do my best to keep this updated as the modifications progress

Last edited by lsuguy; 02-18-2012 at 09:57 AM.
lsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
lsuguy

Catch Up Post :)

Fast forward to now and this is where I am. Figured I would play catchup in the next few posts then continue to update from here forward!

This is actually the only photo I have prior to modifications. I took this with my Iphone shortly after getting her home.

Needless to say it was dirty, had some swirl marks as expected and I just couldn't have that. I already had a PC but thanks to this forum was introduced to Adams and Junkman. After explaining to my wife that I needed to purchase a few hundred dollars worth of cleaning supplies for a brand new car, I placed an order with Adams to get the car in shape.

This was my process:

2 Bucket Wash
Clay
2 Bucket Wash
Adams Swirl and Haze Remover
Adam's Fine Machine Polish
Adam's Machine Super Sealant
**Cure Time**
Adam's Americana Paste Wax
Adam's Brilliant Glaze

End Result? No more swirl marks

Last edited by lsuguy; 09-11-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
lsuguy

So after getting the paint corrected it took me all of about a week to start ordering performance parts. I contacted Chase over at Apex and ordered a Stainless works Retro Cat Back exhaust and a CAI intake.

Stock sucks!

Much Better

You can't tell in the above picture but the Vmaxx throttle body is installed as well. The below picture shows it along with the Stainless Works exhaust. I had the exhaust installed by Thunder Racing in Baton Rouge. I couldn't be happier with the sound. I'm really anxious to get headers on so that I can get the sound I am really looking for.

I also went ahead and installed a set of sidemarker lens/Reverse light tint from Big Worm Graphics

Moving to the back of the car I painted the tail light bezels with Plastidip and also installed a matte black bowtie cover from Chauffe Performance.

Last edited by lsuguy; 09-11-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
lsuguy

The next thing I worked on was audio. Unfortunately I dont' have any pictures of the progress as I did the install. It was really hot, 105 degree hot when I did the install and was just glad to have it done.

I purchased a box from subthump as well as his FARK kit. Both items were top notch and everything sounds great. The items I used are in the original post.

The fit and finish on the box is great and it still leaves plenty of room in the truck should I need it. I mounted both amps on the front side (cabin side) of the box. Nice clean looking install.

Last edited by lsuguy; 09-11-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
lsuguy

One thing I hated about the car when I test drove one is the factory shift knob. It just seemed too large and didn't really scream Camaro to me. I eventually want to swap out the entire shifter assembly for a short throw but I found out that MGW makes a knob that installs on the factory shaft. I was skeptical at first thinking that the knob would fit loose. After installing it I couldn't' be happier. The knob fits great and there is no play or rattling at all. Well worth the 65 bucks I paid for it.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
lsuguy

Last few pictures are of some parts I have that are waiting to be installed as well as photos after detailing today

Upcoming Mods:

Pfadt Stage II, BMR Subframe Bushings

Picked these up from a member on C5. Gonna hold off on installing them for now as I have plans to change out the Rotors/brake pads and powdercoat the calipers. I will just wait and do all of these mods at once.

And last but not least, all shined up!

Old 09-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Camaro2SSRS
"CHAOS"

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Really sharp!

Camaro2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
lsuguy

Scheduled up the install of my suspension for September the 24th!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:11 AM   #9
american v8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
wow that looks incredible. I've got a few questions so I don't waste any time buying mine. Do you have any idea if stainless works is emissions legal in CA? (not common knowledge i know). Do the clear bras work any better than the rear and front factory quarter flares, and how much does that bra cost? finally im trying to compare the matte black stripes on black to the dark charcoal stripes on black, do the black stripes show up nicely, the first pic was a bit blurry. Thanks for your info
american v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
lsuguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by american v8 View Post
wow that looks incredible. I've got a few questions so I don't waste any time buying mine. Do you have any idea if stainless works is emissions legal in CA? (not common knowledge i know). Do the clear bras work any better than the rear and front factory quarter flares, and how much does that bra cost? finally im trying to compare the matte black stripes on black to the dark charcoal stripes on black, do the black stripes show up nicely, the first pic was a bit blurry. Thanks for your info
Not sure on the emissions legal stuff since I have never had to deal with it. Might try a search as I have seen this come up before.

The clear bra has worked great so far. I have heard that people have good luck withe quarter flares as well though. The total cost for mine was around 650 dollars but that was for the front bumper up to the hood, rocker panels, side mirrors, and the gill area in front of the rear tire.

The matte stripes are subtle but are easily noticed. I think I have some better pictures of the stripes on my camera and will check once I get home.

Thanks for looking
Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Your car is looking great!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: '13 WRX STi
Adams FTW!!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
lsuguy

Thanks guys!

I am already working out the next mod which will be headers/tune. I am just trying to decide if I want to install them myself and use a JRE tune or have one of the local shops install and dynotune.

I have also been eyeballing a set of Forgeline wheels and am deciding between these three in brushed center with polished lip.

SO3P

SP3P

DS3P

Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
shadow09
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Great build! We have similar mods. Once you get headers with the retro chambered catback definitely get video
shadow09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
lsuguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow09 View Post
Great build! We have similar mods. Once you get headers with the retro chambered catback definitely get video
Will do my best to get a video up. I hope to get them installed pretty soon I just can't decide which shop to go with. There are a few local that I have gotten prices from. Not really worried about the header install I just want to make sure the tune isn't garbage :(
Old 09-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
shadow09
H-Town Camaro Club

Have you looked into Futral Motorsports? I know they're a pretty reputable shop and I know one of their fifth gen camaro builds got into camaro performers or GM high tech I can't remember.

http://www.futralmotorsports.com/
Old 09-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I have the very similar SP3S on my car. I LOVE my Forgelines.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
lsuguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow09 View Post
Have you looked into Futral Motorsports? I know they're a pretty reputable shop and I know one of their fifth gen camaro builds got into camaro performers or GM high tech I can't remember.

http://www.futralmotorsports.com/
I have talked to Futral, Lethal Racing, and Ragin Racing I just haven't been able to find many people here on these forums with their tunes. I'm sure they would all do just as good as the other.

I'm actually working/pretty much living about 1 hour out of Houston. Any recommendations for your area?
Old 09-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #19
lsuguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I have the very similar SP3S on my car. I LOVE my Forgelines.

Those are my favorite out of the 3 as well. I told myself I would wait until I needed tires before buying wheels but don't think I will be able to wait!

Car just broke 1k miles
Old 09-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #20
lsuguy

Called and talked to Shawn at Lethal Racing today about headers and a tune. They are located in Lafayette which isn't too far from where I work or from Baton Rouge.

Now, just need decide when I want to pull the trigger
Old 09-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #21
american v8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
s3p3 set of wheels would look badass on the black maro
american v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #22
lsuguy

Dropped the car off last night with Nick (Black10 here on the forums). He is doing my spring/sway/bushing install.

Should have some new pictures to post up today or tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #23
shadow09
H-Town Camaro Club

Sweet!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #24
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
nice sub.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote