Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #101
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
They look so much nicer filled in
Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #102
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
They look so much nicer filled in
Thanks. It was a bit of work, I'm hoping that the lug nut covers will make everthing blend in for a totally smooth look.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #103
CFD

I had a chance to install one of my new Carbon Fiber Pistolgrip shifters in my car. I normally run one of my original shifters but this one looks real good and I may leave it in, time will tell. Here are a few pics of it.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #104
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Very cool!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #105
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Very cool!

Thanks. I don't have any other carbon fiber parts on my car but now that I have been working with it and have got a method of machining it there are a few more parts that I have made that I will be making out of carbon fiber to add to it and have a few ideas for some new stuff as well.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #106
CFD

Had a rare chance to play with my car a bit. Here is my next project. I decided I didn't care for how the gauges were mounted. The dash and door panel have a nice contoured flow but the gauges are flat and tucked under the dash a bit so I decided to re-design the consol/gauges to flow better and compliment the interiors design. Here is a quick shot of the template I roughed out, I have almost finished writing the program minus the gauges, once I fit the panel I will decide on exact location. If I get a chance I will cut a test panel on my CNC later today. The prototype will be made out of aluminum, the finished product may stay aluminum but I haven't decided on that yet.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #107
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
So you are going to re-mount the "4 pack" gauges in that new piece you are fitting?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #108
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
So you are going to re-mount the "4 pack" gauges in that new piece you are fitting?
I will be mounting the gauges in. I had time to cut out the first trial piece, it does need a few minor changes but not a big deal.I started marking out the gauge location but may move them a little to allow for the possible addition of a couple of switches but I'll figure it out as I go. I am now thinking about making the final piece out of fiberglass or carbon fiber, this may allow me to mold it into the existing trim to make it all one piece but this also needs more thought. Here are a couple of more pics to give a better idea of where I'm going with it.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #109
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
That is going to look pretty awesome when it's done, George! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #110
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
That is going to look pretty awesome when it's done, George! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Thanks. I find it hard to find the time to work on my own stuff so give me a year or so and it will be done LOL.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #111
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
It's never done! LOL!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #112
JeffyS94

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT cyber grey metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I had a chance to install one of my new Carbon Fiber Pistolgrip shifters in my car. I normally run one of my original shifters but this one looks real good and I may leave it in, time will tell. Here are a few pics of it.
So are the buttons on this for the tap shift?? That's awesome if it is! I've been thinking of a way to do that but haven't thought of anything.
JeffyS94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #113
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffyS94 View Post
So are the buttons on this for the tap shift?? That's awesome if it is! I've been thinking of a way to do that but haven't thought of anything.

Yes they are the tapshift buttons. Here is a link with all the info on them.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116908
Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #114
CFD

Had a chance to work on my consol a bit more. I got the gauges fitted and mounted. The most challenging part was cutting and piecing together the gauge pack so it sits flat to the panel rather than offset like oem. The gauges are so much more visible and easy to read at a glance. If I have time tomorrow I will fabricate the side panels and weld them in. I decided to get the new piece apholstered with the same material as the dash and consol so it will blend in nicely. Here are a couple pf pictures of it so far.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #115
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Had a chance to work on my consol a bit more. I got the gauges fitted and mounted. The most challenging part was cutting and piecing together the gauge pack so it sits flat to the panel rather than offset like oem. The gauges are so much more visible and easy to read at a glance. If I have time tomorrow I will fabricate the side panels and weld them in. I decided to get the new piece apholstered with the same material as the dash and consol so it will blend in nicely. Here are a couple pf pictures of it so far.
That looks great, Im no good with metal work for some reason, i would have to have done fiberglass, I guess cause its easier to fill in or sand down your mistakes haha.

Wonder what you could do with the dead space behind them, besides make a cubby hole for your phone or something.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #116
Nathan Moreno

Drives: G5.R
I addition to Doc's, this is one of my favorite threads. I appreciate it all your clever ingenuity!
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #117
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post

Wonder what you could do with the dead space behind them, besides make a cubby hole for your phone or something.
The space behind the gauges is kinda like the trunk, it's a large space with a small openning. The onle way to access it would be from the side and you would need little girly hands to come close to fitting it in there. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
I addition to Doc's, this is one of my favorite threads. I appreciate it all your clever ingenuity!
Thanks, that is quite a compliment!!

Had time to finish the side plates and the piece is all set for apholstering. The only thing I'm undecided on is if I will put the button for traction control back close to stock or move it to a different location. Other than that I'm quite happy with the way it's coming out and I love how easy the gauges are to read. Here are a couple of pics.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #118
Kartashian
SoCal HT5

Drives: The Punisher
Looking good mate!!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #119
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartashian View Post
Looking good mate!!
Thanks.

I was hoping to finish up the consol today but thanks to GM making all there switches complicated put a dampner on that. I wanted to install the traction control switch but was hoping to trim it down a bit but just like the tapshift switches they are more than just momentaries. I still have a couple of ideas so I will get it done the way I wanted it will just take a little longer than expected.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #120
CFD

I got a chance to mess around with my consol a bit more. I was going to utilize the stock trim around the gauges but they don't look the way I wanted so I am going to program new bezels, it will be a short while before I can get to it so I wired in the consol as it is now all lit up.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #121
CFD

I made some more progress with the consol. I epoxied the trimmed gauge pack and dust cover pieces together so they now snap together like the factory unit did. I also decided to make the unit two pieces so that installation is easier and I can make the shift bezel seperately so I can change it if I should decide to do something different with it. For now I am going to upholster it to match the gauge pack and see how it looks tomorrow. Here are a few more pics of where I am now.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #122
Kartashian
SoCal HT5

Drives: The Punisher
Looking good. Nice work.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #123
CFD

Had a chance to make the last piece for the consol base. I also ordered the correct material for the upholstery, it should be here by the weekend, that will give me time to program the bezel for the gauges. If everything goes right I may be able to do the final assembly over the weekend. Here are a couple of pics with some test pieces of vinyl to get an idea of what it will look like.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #124
CFD

Had a chance to machine the frame for the lenses. I still have to radius the edges but held off because I may do it out of the carbon fiber plate I use for my shifters or I will powdercoat it black and highlite the edges in a polished finish to match the trim on the interior.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #125
CFD

I had a chance to finish off the gauge mount and have it with the frame and lenses installed. I haven't finished it because off the friggin' traction control button. There is limited room for it and it is difficult to relocate because of the size and shape. I decided to put it on the consol side skirt to keep the new pieces as clean as possible but again the size and shape made it a pain so I came up with an adapter that allows for use with a round button. Now I can mount it easily and am upholstering the final piece. I am hoping to finish it soon and will install the traction control switch sometime soon. Here is the adapter I made, if I get the upholstery done a little later I will post pics of it.
Attached Images