Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


View Poll Results: What's YOUR Ideal "Racy" Camaro?
Make Mine a $50's-K LSA/MR ZL1 14 21.21%
Make Mine a Mid-$40sK LS7/Enhanced FE4 "Z/28" 52 78.79%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #15
IamJacksCamaro
 
IamJacksCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro LS M6, Fiero, Ford F100
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 638
Voted LS7. I think the Z/28 should make it's power without a supercharger.
IamJacksCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #16
mikel441


 
mikel441's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJacksCamaro View Post
Voted LS7. I think the Z/28 should make it's power without a supercharger.
__________________
mikel441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
Thumbs up

I know I am in the minority here, when it comes to what I want as a "racy" emblem, icon, "i-car-nic" or whatever you want to call it (garage queen?). But, if I had to choose between a Corvette ZR1 or a Z06/7, I'd "choose" the ZR1. In the Camaro case, I choose the ZL1. At this time in GM/Chevrolet history, in this time of uncertainty over where our automotive industry is headed, in this time in MY life cycle, the Camaro ZL1 removes all doubt about whether or not I have participated in a RARE piece of history and been given the opportunity to own it in my very own driveway and garage, while I still have the health to enjoy it and share that joy. No, it is not a Z28, the most well known icon in Camaro history. But it IS the pinnacle of Camaro history/heritage as those who have created it will attest.

And that's good enough for me.

I understand the purist in all who want a Z28. I, too, wanted it ever so badly in the lead up to the ZL1. I was confused when ZL1 was announced, and at my age (60+)that's hard to do to me. I had to research "ZL1" to find out why that meant more than "COPO"; But it didn't take long to find out what was happening, why it was happening, and how those in the design and development did it while the getting was good! Thanks GM. I hope the next few weeks my dream comes true.

Let's hope the Z28 does come out soon. Something tells me it is going to be about as much car as the ZL1; So ALL will be happy regardless of which one you get.

The talk of "heat soak", "normally aspirated", "dry sump", "MR", etc etc are great issues. But no matter which one you choose, you will be a winner!
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #18
zogster
 
Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 645
I'd rather see an engine that is what the LS6 was to the LS1 but using the LS3 as the base instead of LS1. Basically a hotter cam and a few other upgrades. Something like 460HP.

Most of the upgrade should be suspension. With basically an LS3 with a hotter cam, it shouldn't cost much if any more to build than the regular LS3, the cost of the Z/28 over the SS would be kept down.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #19
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,228
High revving N/A engine, excellent suspension and brakes. Leave the MR suspension to the ZL1. Make a Z/28 package that is worthy of it's early heritage.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #20
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I know I am in the minority here, when it comes to what I want as a "racy" emblem, icon, "i-car-nic" or whatever you want to call it (garage queen?). But, if I had to choose between a Corvette ZR1 or a Z06/7, I'd "choose" the ZR1. In the Camaro case, I choose the ZL1. At this time in GM/Chevrolet history, in this time of uncertainty over where our automotive industry is headed, in this time in MY life cycle, the Camaro ZL1 removes all doubt about whether or not I have participated in a RARE piece of history and been given the opportunity to own it in my very own driveway and garage, while I still have the health to enjoy it and share that joy. No, it is not a Z28, the most well known icon in Camaro history. But it IS the pinnacle of Camaro history/heritage as those who have created it will attest.

And that's good enough for me.

I understand the purist in all who want a Z28. I, too, wanted it ever so badly in the lead up to the ZL1. I was confused when ZL1 was announced, and at my age (60+)that's hard to do to me. I had to research "ZL1" to find out why that meant more than "COPO"; But it didn't take long to find out what was happening, why it was happening, and how those in the design and development did it while the getting was good! Thanks GM. I hope the next few weeks my dream comes true.

Let's hope the Z28 does come out soon. Something tells me it is going to be about as much car as the ZL1; So ALL will be happy regardless of which one you get.

The talk of "heat soak", "normally aspirated", "dry sump", "MR", etc etc are great issues. But no matter which one you choose, you will be a winner!
Good summation! The bottom line is, both the ZL1 and a Z/28 are Camaros with a huge heritage, either choice will be the right one as long as it fits YOUR wants and needs. BTW, love that '67 Goat in your avatar. A good friend of mine back in the day had a new '67 GTO with three deuces and 4 speed, fun car that I rode in a lot.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #21
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 WS6
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,423
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
High revving N/A engine, excellent suspension and brakes. Leave the MR suspension to the ZL1. Make a Z/28 package that is worthy of it's early heritage.
Clyde
Next gen v8's?
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #22
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
I'd rather see an engine that is what the LS6 was to the LS1 but using the LS3 as the base instead of LS1. Basically a hotter cam and a few other upgrades. Something like 460HP.

Most of the upgrade should be suspension. With basically an LS3 with a hotter cam, it shouldn't cost much if any more to build than the regular LS3, the cost of the Z/28 over the SS would be kept down.
And therein lies my personal fear...the beancounters win...AGAIN!


Mark my words: If a Zee, as described here, could be built without spending much/any over an SS, you can bet your bippy it'll MSRP for BOSS money or more...without BOSS talent/ability...and be another $ellout in the name of profits.

Or, in fact, is this the "New GM", where the name won't be bastardized in the name of profits, and a ZEE (all caps) will BUST the BOSS-bronco?!

Don't let us down, Team!!!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #23
zogster
 
Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
And therein lies my personal fear...the beancounters win...AGAIN!


Mark my words: If a Zee, as described here, could be built without spending much/any over an SS, you can bet your bippy it'll MSRP for BOSS money or more...without BOSS talent/ability...and be another $ellout in the name of profits.

Or, in fact, is this the "New GM", where the name won't be bastardized in the name of profits, and a ZEE (all caps) will BUST the BOSS-bronco?!

Don't let us down, Team!!!
What is "BOSS talent/ability"?

The car I described sounds like what the BOSS is to the GT.

Quote:
Ford revived the Boss 302 nameplate for 2012. The 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 takes a standard 2011 Ford Mustang GT’s 5.0-liter V8 and adds an upgraded intake system and revised engine producing 444 naturally aspirated horsepower – a 32 horsepower jump over the standard GT’s 412 hp via a forged rotating assembly, CNC ported heads, revised camshafts and a high flow "runners in the box" intake taken from the 302R racecar.[10] The engine generates 380 lb-ft. of torque and comes with an upgraded six-speed MT-82 manual transmission. A 3.73 rear axle uses carbon fiber plates in its limited slip differential or an optional Torsen differential. The intake system has also been reengineered to provide a growl under hard acceleration, while the quad exhaust system made up of two standard Mustang GT outlets and two side pipes that exit on either side of the rear crossover. The side pipes send the exhaust through a set of metal discs to create an extra growling exhaust sound. The disc is removable and includes a spacer plate sized to match aftermarket exhaust dump valves.
The Boss 302 takes the Mustang GT’s suspension and adds higher-rate coil springs, stiffer bushings, and a larger diameter rear stabilizer bar. The body is lowered 11 mm up front and just 1 mm in the rear to give it a more raked stance designed to recall the original. The shocks are adjustable at the shock tower by using a flat head screwdriver. The standard Mustang traction and stability control programs have been altered with a new intermediate sport mode designed to allow for more flexibility on the track.
The aero package is almost entirely copied from the Boss 302R race car. The 19-inch black-alloy racing wheels are 9-inches wide up front and 9.5-inches out back and come within Pirelli P-Zero tires.
So the engine is basically a GT with ported heads, different intake and cam, and then they changed the exhaust, not sure if that adds more power though.

The rest is cosmetic and suspension.

What's the difference between the BOSS engine and an LS3 with the same upgrades going in a Z/28?
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #24
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Drive a GT...drive a BOSS... The comparison is as stark as an SS 350 vs. a Gen-1 Z/28. Sometimes the result is greater than the sum of the parts...and the BOSS result is dramatically different than a GT. A LOT of time and attention went into its development, and its road course times are significantly superior to the GT...as is the overall "feel" of the car. Have you driven either/both? Better start there...

As to spending development buck$ on a late-Gen LS for this one-time-only Gen-5 ZEE, the "prediction" seems to be centered on utilizing a current, on-the-shelf-and-ready-to-go engine...and in a 200+ lb. heavier chassis than the 444 hp BOSS, the way to get there quickly is with the LS7 with 500+ hp... The GMPP "hot LS3" is NOT a production-ready engine..."off-road only".

At a 480 hp rating (and less torque than an LS7), the hot LS3, AT BEST, might MATCH the BOSS, not stomp it...and that depends on suspension/brakes/tires/final Curb Weight, as well. With 500+ from an LS7...WOW!

Think of it as the difference between a Vette with the GS Package...and a Z06...only this time, the competitors aren't in-house!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #25
zogster
 
Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 645
The LS7 is stupid expensive though. I bet it costs as much as the LSA.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #26
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
$7,000 more, in crate form, than a crate LS3...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #27
mikel441


 
mikel441's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 2,428
The price difference between LS7 and LSA is negligible. IMO.

http://paceperformance.com/i-6255553...ne-505-hp.html

http://paceperformance.com/i-6255521...te-engine.html
__________________
mikel441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #28
zogster
 
Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
$7,000 more, in crate form, than a crate LS3...
Yeah, that's stupid expensive.

Throw $1000 into the LS3 and make the "LS28."

465HP is pretty easy to get out of the LS3 with a hot cam, upgraded intake manifold, better air intake and better exhaust. It's already at 426HP without any of those. 40HP crank is easy with those mods on an LS3.

So there's you're relatively cheap engine. Now spend your $6000 on the suspension upgrades that the BOSS has...

So you're looking at $7k over an SS. That's about right... $39K to start, $46k loaded up, if Chevy decides to build a "1Z/28" and "2Z/28" if you will.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5th Gen Suspension -- The Book JusticePete Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 151 05-07-2015 05:52 PM
Transcript of Camaro ZL1 Q&A Webchat with Chevrolet Tran Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 38 02-17-2012 12:45 AM
Automobile Reviews 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible 2SS Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 33 07-28-2011 07:36 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 07:33 PM
Ambient lighting (ABL) - the FINAL update = LIMITED TO DOOR PANELS CamaroScotty 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 338 04-15-2009 05:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.