Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Tower Decals
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
CTUnlimited

Drives: 2010 2LT Auto
Pedders or Hotchkis for me? help!

So i just finished ordering all my bolt ons i wanted for my car and now as im waiting for them to arrive im left with a void in my life. I must research and buy more performance upgrades! Suspension seemed the next logical route to go. Ive been looking at the pedders street II package as well as the hotchkis track pack. I dont know much about suspension so i was hoping for some opinions on which would be better for me and for the price. Im looking for improved handling on the streets but also would like some improvement for drag times! Overall performance boost. If you guys have any other package suggestions around the 1300 price range im all ears as well! (also does it matter i have a v6?)
CTUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Spring rates would be the only thing different for a V6. If it were me with 1300 I'd do springs, sways, trailing arms, toe rods, and full cradle replacements.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
You may want to take a look at some of our parts as well. There are a lot of gains to be had with the Camaro for 1300 bucks. I would start by looking at a set of Sway bars. The biggest single handling modification you can make to the Camaro for cornering is with a set of Sway Bars. The Camaro is big and heavy, and takes really well to large increases in roll stiffness. By increasing the roll stiffness you can make your Camaro's handling feel much lighter and easily controlled.

Here is a video we took during the development of our Camaro sway bar package. You can see the car is much more balanced and and in control at the edge of cornering grip with the balance shifted from factory understeer to neutral Pfadt handling.

You should also look into firming up the rear end of the car a bit if you're going to be drag racing, this is to prevent wheel hop which robs 60" times and kills parts. You can start with a set of Trailing Arms, and finish off with a set of Solid Subframe Mounts.

The Trailing arms are lighter, stronger, and more durable than the stock rear trailing arms, and prevent loss of traction by preventing that arm from deflecting under hard acceleration. They also include replacement Polyurethane bushings, which are a more performance oriented bushing than the stock rubber.

The solid subframe mounts are fantastic. They completely replace the soft subframe mounts, and solidly mount the rear subframe of the car to the chassis. The Corvette rear subframe has been solidly mounted to the chassis since at least the C5, and it just works. The solid subframe mounts don't increase noise/vibration/harshness and make the car feel much more connected in all situations, whether your at the drag strip, or just enjoying the new handling of your Pfadt equipped Camaro.

With those 3 strategic modifications you will find more traction and less wheel hop at the drag strip, and much more balance while actually turning the wheel. The Camaro is such an enjoyable car with just a couple little tweaks. If you have any questions please feel free to email us at info@pfadtracing.com or call us at 1-888-972-2464.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTUnlimited View Post
So i just finished ordering all my bolt ons i wanted for my car and now as im waiting for them to arrive im left with a void in my life. I must research and buy more performance upgrades! Suspension seemed the next logical route to go. Ive been looking at the pedders street II package as well as the hotchkis track pack. I dont know much about suspension so i was hoping for some opinions on which would be better for me and for the price. Im looking for improved handling on the streets but also would like some improvement for drag times! Overall performance boost. If you guys have any other package suggestions around the 1300 price range im all ears as well! (also does it matter i have a v6?)
To improve your drag times we should be talking about sub-frame bushes and alignment. The more efficiently your Camaro puts down power, the better your launch will be. That means we eliminate the sub-frame squirm and install sub-frame inserts. From there we move to alignment. On OE coils we can get to ZERO camber with the OE adjusters or so close it doesn't matter. ZERO rear camber brings your rear tire square to the track surface for optimal power transfer.

For overall handling, we want to lower your car and increase the coil rate. With lowering coils, getting to ZERO rear camber is not going to happen. You'll need Pedders extended range camber eccentrics. That means we can lower your Camaro and still have good tire to track contact.

The 5th Gen has a great deal on understeer on delivery. We can dial some of that out with a Pedders spec alignment. From the factory there is more negative camber in the rear than the front. With a Pedders alignment we add some negative camber upfront and bring the toe close to ZERO. This improves corning and and on center steering feel. In the rear we use factory toe, but only half the front camber. The result is a better handling Camaro that still is crisp off the line.

Speaking of handling, the on center steering feel is much improved with a set of Pedders radius bush inserts. The inserts reduce unwanted caster changes. Caster changes contribute to the slightly soft on center steering feel off the showroom floor. Combine the caster changes with toe in and, we'll let's just say you'll feel more in control with the inserts and Pedders spec alignment.

You'll be under budget on your parts with maximum bang for the buck performance with a Pedders Street II. The foundational elements of your suspension will all be addressed and I guarantee you'll be thrilled with the result. Bolt our bits on. Get her aligned to Pedders spec and if you are not thrilled. call me and I'll refund your purchase price, guaranteed.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
CTUnlimited

All I have to say is WOW! Both of you guys were so incredibly helpful. You guys answered all the questioned i had without me even really asking them. that was great i truly appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
You may want to take a look at some of our parts as well. There are a lot of gains to be had with the Camaro for 1300 bucks. I would start by looking at a set of Sway bars. The biggest single handling modification you can make to the Camaro for cornering is with a set of Sway Bars. The Camaro is big and heavy, and takes really well to large increases in roll stiffness. By increasing the roll stiffness you can make your Camaro's handling feel much lighter and easily controlled.

Here is a video we took during the development of our Camaro sway bar package. You can see the car is much more balanced and and in control at the edge of cornering grip with the balance shifted from factory understeer to neutral Pfadt handling.

You should also look into firming up the rear end of the car a bit if you're going to be drag racing, this is to prevent wheel hop which robs 60" times and kills parts. You can start with a set of Trailing Arms, and finish off with a set of Solid Subframe Mounts.

The Trailing arms are lighter, stronger, and more durable than the stock rear trailing arms, and prevent loss of traction by preventing that arm from deflecting under hard acceleration. They also include replacement Polyurethane bushings, which are a more performance oriented bushing than the stock rubber.

The solid subframe mounts are fantastic. They completely replace the soft subframe mounts, and solidly mount the rear subframe of the car to the chassis. The Corvette rear subframe has been solidly mounted to the chassis since at least the C5, and it just works. The solid subframe mounts don't increase noise/vibration/harshness and make the car feel much more connected in all situations, whether your at the drag strip, or just enjoying the new handling of your Pfadt equipped Camaro.

With those 3 strategic modifications you will find more traction and less wheel hop at the drag strip, and much more balance while actually turning the wheel. The Camaro is such an enjoyable car with just a couple little tweaks. If you have any questions please feel free to email us at info@pfadtracing.com or call us at 1-888-972-2464.
I'm glad you posted because literally right before i came back to check on this post i had been looking at your site and determined you guys were a contender in my decision. I actually really liked your stage 3 performance kit. It was just a little out of the price range i had set for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
To improve your drag times we should be talking about sub-frame bushes and alignment. The more efficiently your Camaro puts down power, the better your launch will be. That means we eliminate the sub-frame squirm and install sub-frame inserts. From there we move to alignment. On OE coils we can get to ZERO camber with the OE adjusters or so close it doesn't matter. ZERO rear camber brings your rear tire square to the track surface for optimal power transfer.

For overall handling, we want to lower your car and increase the coil rate. With lowering coils, getting to ZERO rear camber is not going to happen. You'll need Pedders extended range camber eccentrics. That means we can lower your Camaro and still have good tire to track contact.

The 5th Gen has a great deal on understeer on delivery. We can dial some of that out with a Pedders spec alignment. From the factory there is more negative camber in the rear than the front. With a Pedders alignment we add some negative camber upfront and bring the toe close to ZERO. This improves corning and and on center steering feel. In the rear we use factory toe, but only half the front camber. The result is a better handling Camaro that still is crisp off the line.

Speaking of handling, the on center steering feel is much improved with a set of Pedders radius bush inserts. The inserts reduce unwanted caster changes. Caster changes contribute to the slightly soft on center steering feel off the showroom floor. Combine the caster changes with toe in and, we'll let's just say you'll feel more in control with the inserts and Pedders spec alignment.

You'll be under budget on your parts with maximum bang for the buck performance with a Pedders Street II. The foundational elements of your suspension will all be addressed and I guarantee you'll be thrilled with the result. Bolt our bits on. Get her aligned to Pedders spec and if you are not thrilled. call me and I'll refund your purchase price, guaranteed.
I really like the Street II package and the price is great. Im just worried I would be left wanting more Since i had set myself a higher budget. Not that im against saving myself some money! I just wish that package had some sway bars!

This is going to be a really tough choice!!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Quote:
All I have to say is WOW! Both of you guys were so incredibly helpful. You guys answered all the questioned i had without me even really asking them. that was great i truly appreciate it.

I really like the Street II package and the price is great. Im just worried I would be left wanting more Since i had set myself a higher budget. Not that im against saving myself some money! I just wish that package had some sway bars!

This is going to be a really tough choice!!
Ah man, that is an easy fix. Pete will fix you up with some sways. The nice thing about suspension mods is they all build on each other. Start with the less expensive, most bang for your buck mods then move up from there.

I have had great luck with Pedders, and you wont find a more customer service oriented company out there, bar none!
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
Ah man, that is an easy fix. Pete will fix you up with some sways. The nice thing about suspension mods is they all build on each other. Start with the less expensive, most bang for your buck mods then move up from there.

I have had great luck with Pedders, and you wont find a more customer service oriented company out there, bar none!
Thank you msw444
Old 09-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
Quote:

I agree, Pete worked things out with one of his Pedders installers and I got my track II system installed on a saturday.

I'll be testing it out this weekend at an Autox event. I can't wait
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
Getting my 5th Pedderized was easily the best things I've done for. The steering is crisp and balanced, and the car always feels connected, even on the sh!tty back roads of PA. I know it's a little above your price range, but I HIGHLY recommend getting the Xa coilovers to compliment those sway bars. You'll thank yourself that you did!

...and on the cosmetic side of the house, you can't beat the stance...

Old 09-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #10
bryan805

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Manual 6-speed
I had the same budget range, and after doing some fairly lengthy research, including talking with different manufacturers, installation shops and folks on here, I decided on the Hotchkis Sport Suspension TVS System. It offers a happy medium between ride comfort and performance, not to mention it has a great looking stance to it.
Attached Images

Borla Exhaust S-Type System + "X" Pipe
Airaid Intake
Hotchkis Sport Suspension TVS System
Blacked out taillights, headlights, side markers
Removal of GM and Camaro emblems on fenders
bryan805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #11
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Everone has their preference, I just want to throw my two cents for the PFADT system. I love mine. It is a daily driver as well as a track car and I get the perfect response in both situations. A nice crisp ride but not rough at all, you will notice a big difference on the freeway in the response especially. Not to mention with the 1 1/4" drop it has a nicer look the stance.

Then there is customer service. These guys are top notch and always available to answer questions. You will find Aaron at alot of our functions racing and giving advice or hopping in your car with you to show you what your car can do.

Not to mention how cool their parts look.
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #12
CTUnlimited

Haha man you guys aren't making this easy for me. It sounds like I really cant go wrong with any of setups.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #13
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Quote:
Haha man you guys aren't making this easy for me. It sounds like I really cant go wrong with any of setups.
LOL...it is hard to pick. We are very fortunate to have such great mods availible for our Camaros. I won't knock the other brands, as I have heard good things about both the others mentioned here. In fact I will go so far as to say Pfadt builds some really good stuff.
I went with Pedders for their experience on the Zeta platform and the level of customer service. I have not regreted it for one minute. I think my car will perform on the level of about any out there. In fact 600lpe is set up the same way and first in his division up north. We are talking against all wheel drive cars that are much lighter.
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
I think you will be very pleased with the Pedders Street II.

I installed the Pedders Street I in mine as the first suspension mod and the improvements in handling, acceleration, and steering were noticeable.

I later installed some SS struts and Pfadt drop springs and now it handles & accelerates even better.

I think you would be very pleased with the Street II, but I would also get a set of SS struts. I got mine free from someone who upgraded to coilovers, but if you can't find a free set, SLP sells brand new take-offs on ebay for about $75 shipped. The SS struts are about 1/4" shorter than the V6 struts so you get an additional drop, but the damping is a little different too.

Here are the SS struts on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1423.l2649

If you want to take a ride in mine to see how it feels, let me know. I love how it rides now.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
matt@lsrperformance.com

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
CT I sent you an LSR Performance package price. Thanks for the inquiry. Let me know if I can help you out with anything else. If anybody else is interested in a package let me know. Thanks
matt@lsrperformance.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li0nel1234 View Post
I agree, Pete worked things out with one of his Pedders installers and I got my track II system installed on a Saturday.

I'll be testing it out this weekend at an Autox event. I can't wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
Getting my 5th Pedderized was easily the best things I've done for. The steering is crisp and balanced, and the car always feels connected, even on the sh!tty back roads of PA. I know it's a little above your price range, but I HIGHLY recommend getting the Xa coilovers to compliment those sway bars. You'll thank yourself that you did!

...and on the cosmetic side of the house, you can't beat the stance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
I think you will be very pleased with the Pedders Street II.

I installed the Pedders Street I in mine as the first suspension mod and the improvements in handling, acceleration, and steering were noticeable.

I later installed some SS struts and Pfadt drop springs and now it handles & accelerates even better.

I think you would be very pleased with the Street II, but I would also get a set of SS struts. I got mine free from someone who upgraded to coilovers, but if you can't find a free set, SLP sells brand new take-offs on ebay for about $75 shipped. The SS struts are about 1/4" shorter than the V6 struts so you get an additional drop, but the damping is a little different too.

Here are the SS struts on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1423.l2649

If you want to take a ride in mine to see how it feels, let me know. I love how it rides now.

Quote:
Getting the right bits to suit your driving style is the hardest part. If you PM your phone number I'll give you a ring and we can walk through your suspension build.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #17
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs, 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 GTO
If you want the best bang for your buck but don't want to sacrifice any quality then you should look into Whiteline Suspension and BC Racing coilovers.

But don't take my word for it. Ask the members here who have our products and what they think of them. No sales pitch, just products that work!

Pm any of these members.
Kbui
Bkscott
Caverman
L99CAMA2011
Whiteside Customs is offline   Reply With Quote