Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 09-14-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
Judge

Drives: 2011 L99 Camaro SS
How would you add power to your L99?

Which way do you prefer to add power to your L99 engine?

Forget about forced inductions, I want to know about your mods like Camshafts, Piston Heads, and so on.

Been researching camshafts for the L99 and found out they're pretty tricky due to the Active Fuel Management and other electronics in the engine.

So It'd be interesting to know your methods of adding more horses.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:23 AM   #2
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
You can ad a CAI, longtube headers and do the L99 to LS3 conversion. Vengenace Racing is telling me that would get me 420-440 at the back wheels. If I got 440 that would be 100 more HP than I have now at them.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
Rockit_z28
Team 1BAD DOG

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS Auto
See signature. Yes, the L99 to LS3 conversion is more, but worth it in my opinion. However, there are now some pretty stout numbers using a VVT cam. My concern with the VVT cam (unfounded of course) is durability.

Show: Custom Painted Stripes/Badges (Orange Pearl over White), Z/TA Spoiler, Hex Vents, Billet Custom Valve Covers, Emblem Pros, Weld Wheels
You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1baddogracing

S.L. Customs: http://www.slcustomsonline.com/
FSP: http://www.floridaspeedandpower.com/

Rockit_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Judge

More on the L99 to LS3 conversion please (details)

Also, don't you think wen you convert your engine to an LS3, you kinda lost its true identity as an L99 automatic? Thats my opinion though

Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: 11 2SS/RS, Black/Inferno, L99 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

Also, don't you think wen you convert your engine to an LS3, you kinda lost its true identity as an L99 automatic? Thats my opinion though
You still have lower compression pistons.

L99 to LS3 conversion involves deleting the AFM/DOD.
From TSP ($390): LS2 Chain Dampener, Qty 8 (or 16) LS7 Lifters, LS2 Lifter Trays, LS3 Head Gaskets, GM LS2 Head Bolts, LS3 Valley Cover, PCV Hose, PCV Plug, Cam Swap Gasket Kit.

Deleting the VVT:
(From TSP $110) LS3 Front Timing Cover with Cam Position Sensor and Harness, 3-Bolt Cam Gear (4X), and ARP Camshaft Bolts.

Then you add an LS3 Cam (~$400) and springs/etc (~$600+).

On the other hand, to your original question:

Look at my Build Journal (sig) for the bolt-on approach to knock a full 1.2 seconds off your 1/4 mile times and add approximately 50RWHP. Bolt-ons, torque converter, and good rims will get you there.

After you've done the bolt-ons, then you can add a VVT cam (delete AFM/DOD, but keep the L99 "identity" with the VVT).

Padre

The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Quote:

heres the thing though, most shops and people would rather work with a more older v8 style. not saying you cant use the VVt in the l99. but i feel better doing what my shop feels better with.

you can find a lot of info if you google.

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: 11 2SS/RS, Black/Inferno, L99 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
heres the thing though, most shops and people would rather work with a more older v8 style. not saying you cant use the VVt in the l99. but i feel better doing what my shop feels better with.
That's the nice thing about the TSP cam. They send you the VVT phaser tables. The rest is gravy. My shop will be doing their first VVT cam.

Padre

The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
typically, with your quest, we would recommend our 2c cam, which deletes the vvt and dod system, as well as a roto-fab cai, and kooks long tube headers. Typical power for this is 430-440 rwhp, with no loss in low end torque. It even works well with the stock converter!

We actually are running a special on it this month too, I am not certain where you are located, but we have had numerous people state that even with paying for transportation (which we offer) it's still cheaper than many prices they have found locally to them.
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
FTI-EDC
The stick man

Drives: 2004 GTO - C5 'vert - SRX
Cool

Quote:
Which way do you prefer to add power to your L99 engine?

Forget about forced inductions, I want to know about your mods like Camshafts, Piston Heads, and so on.

Been researching camshafts for the L99 and found out they're pretty tricky due to the Active Fuel Management and other electronics in the engine.

So It'd be interesting to know your methods of adding more horses.

Just contact Mike at New Era Performance. The N.E.P. L99 project car is a fully streetable, mid-eleven second package.

There are those who talk about and then there's New Era Performance who actually do it!

NEW ERA PERFORMANCE PARTS

PONY WARS

FTI-EDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
We have run 11.20s with our heads/cam L99 camaro. Our pacakge uses the VVT-3 camshaft which has been proven to add 100 flywheel horsepower from the camshaft alone! Combine that camshaft with either the PRC CNC Ported LS3/L99 heads or the all new PRC Aftermarket casting LS3/L99 heads and you have huge power potential. Either combo will make big power, the aftermarket casting heads typically make some additional power over the stock ported heads thanks to smaller runners, smaller chambers, and improved air flow!

http://www.texas-speed.com/c-234-cam...c-engines.aspx

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1388-pr...e-program.aspx

Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
If it was my L99 I would change to lower rear gears first, like 3:70's. Although you do not add HP you add performance improvement. Then, like Andy at Livernois says above, go to the motor and do LS3 conversion. Your redline will go from 6,200 to 6,800 by eliminating VVT cam and VVT lifters and cam phaser plus you have many more cams to choose from to meet your needs and expectations.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Absolutely not true at all. The VVT is not limiting the redline to 6200. I have run VVT past 7800rpm without any issues.

Swapping in a LS3 conversion is what you do when your not comfortable with VVT technology. That's exactly the reason we offer VVT tune tables with our camshaft. That way you make 100% your VVT setup is phased correctly.

Checkout the fastest N/A list. I think you'll find our L99 stock motor car outrunning just about every na car including the strokers.

What you have to ask your self is do I want the best possible power at every rpm point or just at the hp peak? If you don't care about bottom and mid range power maximization then buy a standard camshaft. If you'd like better power output throughout the rpm range then VVT will allow you to do that.
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
jthurik

Drives: 1
how about a 125 shot.....
jthurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to StlRomAniaN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
Absolutely not true at all. The VVT is not limiting the redline to 6200. I have run VVT past 7800rpm without any issues.

Swapping in a LS3 conversion is what you do when your not comfortable with VVT technology. That's exactly the reason we offer VVT tune tables with our camshaft. That way you make 100% your VVT setup is phased correctly.

Checkout the fastest N/A list. I think you'll find our L99 stock motor car outrunning just about every na car including the strokers.

What you have to ask your self is do I want the best possible power at every rpm point or just at the hp peak? If you don't care about bottom and mid range power maximization then buy a standard camshaft. If you'd like better power output throughout the rpm range then VVT will allow you to do that.
#Winning. Contact me, please.

Pre-ordered on October 24, 2008

Inferno Orange Metallic 2SS/RS
Auto w/ TAPshift
=
funnnnnn, just like Megan Fox!

1100 = Preliminary Order: 10-24-09
2000 = Accepted by GM: 3-30-09
2500 = Referenced: 3-31-09
3000 = Accepted by Production Control: 4-18-09
3100 = Sequenced: 5-1-09
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 5-12-09
3400 = Broadcast: 5-19-09
3800 = Produced: 5-27-09 VIN# 12768
4000 = Available to Ship: --
4200 = Shipped: --
5000 = Delivered to Dealer: --
6000 = Delivered to Customer: --
StlRomAniaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
Fireslayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
That's the nice thing about the TSP cam. They send you the VVT phaser tables. The rest is gravy. My shop will be doing their first VVT cam.

Padre
What about Mast? Do they offer the same phaser tables as well? I've been reading alot on VVT cams but getting them correctly tuned on a dyno may be challanging if the tuner still has to feel his way around the VVT dynamics. I don't know if anyone has a "canned" tune for a handheld with VVT's???

Sorry to the OP for jumping topics a bit.
Fireslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
Fireslayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Ok, just read Jason's post on the VVT tuning tables.
Fireslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
Termin8r27

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS // 2007 Black Tahoe
Quote:

I love you guys!

Learn something new everyday, I'd like to keep my VVT if I can and have been planning on an LS3 conversion based on all that I have read.

Looks like a Texas Speed VVT cam is in my car's future.

Jason, I see on the website there aren't the 'usual' cam specs like a standard cam. For instance only mention of the intake duration and lift, what about lobe separation and exhaust duration?

I'd want my VVT cam to be compatible with a whipple in the future.

Sorry to slightly thread-jack, but hopefully this will help with the discussion.
LG Headers & Modified LG Exhaust w/Moroso Spiral Flo's / CAI / Custom Tune / Debadged / DOD Delete / AAC Plasma DRL's & Harnesses / Painted Taillight bezels / V1 & Invisicord / Pfadt Springs / Custom Black Painted Lexani L15's
389rwhp & 411rwtq
Termin8r27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #18
Judge

Termin8r theres no problem with thread-jacking maybe we'll learn something new

I also found out that theres another type of cam called AFM camshaft which is offered by texas speed and it lets you keep your engines Active Fuel Management.

If anyone has any info on those, posting it here would really help.

By the way: If you add a supercharger to the L99, do you have to remove the AFM/VVT?

Last edited by Judge; 09-14-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #19
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
[QUOTE=Jason 98 The VVT is not limiting the redline to 6200. I have run VVT past 7800rpm without any issues.

Jason, just curious about the 7800 redline without issues? Was that with the AFM lifters that come paired with factory VVT? Or was that with 16 LS3 lifters? Or, another type of lifter? This OP was about how one would add power to an L99 and I simply said what I would do. This is not a slam on VVT technology or VVT cams, just what "I would do".
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #20
Rockit_z28
Team 1BAD DOG

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS Auto
Quote:

Jason not to disagree with you because I think the work that you and MAST are doing with VVT is important to the long term success of these motors. However, similar powerbands can be obtained without VVT with the proper selection of cam and tuning. The huge LS3 cams are great for dyno numbers, but a properly selected cam can provide power and torque throughout the normal running range. Will you get the "big" dyno number? No, but can you get a good track car? Yes. I agree at the bottom end of the curve the VVT will flourish, but that's what stall converters are made for to get the car into that powerband quicker.

To your other point, yes a lot people are afraid of the VVT no different the DOHC set-ups when they came out. Then you get into reliability of single bolt and three bolt cams which I am still not 100% sold on.

The decision has to be made by the owner and the shop doing the work and where they are comfortable to insure no problems occur later on. It is important to have that mutual understanding between customer and shop. Probably the reason why you carry both VVT cams and the L99 conversion because customers want different options.

I did a lot of back and forth on this subject myself. At the end of the day, my shop and I reached an agreement on what they were comfortable with doing, my goals with the cam and reliability.

Just my 2 cents and my experience...

Show: Custom Painted Stripes/Badges (Orange Pearl over White), Z/TA Spoiler, Hex Vents, Billet Custom Valve Covers, Emblem Pros, Weld Wheels
You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1baddogracing

S.L. Customs: http://www.slcustomsonline.com/
FSP: http://www.floridaspeedandpower.com/

Rockit_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #21
GRYGUSS
Winner

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Trade for an LS3..............Just sayin!!
GRYGUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #22
kaler

Drives: 2011 Dodge 3500 dually Mega Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post

Padre
100% correct TSP provides the phasing tables for the VVT and spent 100's of hrs on the engine dyno to get them nailed down. The rest of the tuning is the same as any static cammed LS motor.Also at this time I believe TSP is the only shop providing the phasing tables with the cam.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #23
kaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack Rat 2SS View Post
If it was my L99 I would change to lower rear gears first, like 3:70's. Although you do not add HP you add performance improvement. Then, like Andy at Livernois says above, go to the motor and do LS3 conversion. Your redline will go from 6,200 to 6,800 by eliminating VVT cam and VVT lifters and cam phaser plus you have many more cams to choose from to meet your needs and expectations.
My car shifts at 6800 rpm's
Old 09-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #24
2012camaro2SS/RS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Question

Hey guys, been reading this forum. I definitely want to add some horses to my 12' 2ss, A6(dont hate, I would rather not shift, i just dont want to always have to do that) when it comes in what could I do to add hp?
I am not talking like 20 or some bs like that. I am trying to add about 50 or so. I know thats up there. And yeah its not all that hard to do. But the catch is, I do not and will not void the warranty on the engine. Air intake and exhaust are all i know that will not void it.
PLEASE! if anyone has suggestions, lets hear them!

Thanks!
2012camaro2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #25
kaler

I just posted this in another VVT thread.

I have the TSP VVT-3 cam, my goals are more 1/4 mile based than rwhp and the VVT cams (TSP,MAST and Nu Era) have been proving them selves at the track. Stock the car put down 319rwhp with the VVT-3 cam,ported heads,Lt's and Cai thru a Yank 3200 converter it put down 440 rwhp. That is a gain of 121rwhp,that is out standing gains in a H/C car with bolt ons in my book!!! I could not be happier with the cam. New 1/4 mile times coming soon.

If you compare that to an LS3 car they dyno 360-380ish stock add 121rwhp that is 481-501.