Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 09-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
mattbatt

Drives: 2011 2 SS + RS Camaro
Help matching this sound without headers

I have been trolling for a few weeks, learning about tunes, headers, cat backs, high flow cats and PM'ing some people.

I plan on doing a CAI and either axle or cat back exhaust on my 2011 2ss manual. Out of all the exhaust videos, I just love the sound of this one by JBA with headers and high flow cats.

My problem is the state of California. I am beside myself really with all the regulations and fees and fines and C.A.R.B.

Anyway, the best bet for myself at this time is to do a cat back with JBA, the axle back I heard from them seemed too muffled.

My questions:

1. Can someone help me understand how close to this video a 2.5" or 3" catback from JBA would be without headers and high flow cats? Or will the sound be drastically different?

2. With a CAI and catback system, will I throw a code with no tune? I really do not want to void warranty with a tune.

3. I pulled my MAF and found out I have a weak one. Advice? Could this be why it is almost impossible to spin my tires?

Thank you all.
mattbatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
mattbatt

PS: I suppose I could do JBA shorties if and only if the sound would be drastic enough to endure the price and no performance gain (which I have learned from this community - correct me if I am wrong).

The problem is still the cats which are illegal to mess with in CA. Catted pipes can net fines of up to $10,000 if they back charge you for emissions. Heard this from shop guys.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Kaylee with the JBA 3" exhaust and 2.5" high flow cats (high flow cats should be legal in CA because you're not moving the cat, but I am probably wrong on that).

2) you do not need a tune for a CAI and/or catback. And no, the car will not throw any codes.

3) Might be the reason. I would check out the market place section for vendors who are selling the strong MAF. There are quite a few.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
SilverSS3108

Drives: 2010 silver SS
Just don't get caught lol jk.... I would think highflow cats would be ok... Ask around in the Cali section on what others have done and is legal... That's your best bet
Old 09-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
mattbatt

That sounds absolutly awesome. Here is my research through ARB:

The cat "Must be an OE replacement only - no "high flow" or performance cats allowed." And even then, with an OE replacement, it must have an ARB number in the least.

So, any hypothesis of what Kaylee's exhaust would sound like with stock cats?