Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 09-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
papawattz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS +2014 El Tigre
Break in period for MGW short throw shifter?

I just installed a MGW short throw shifter in my SS and was wondering if their was a break in period? I've only put about 15 miles or so on it but it just seems to be abnormally stiff and notchy, especially 2nd and 6th gear. Don't get me wrong the shifter's got great short throws, feels very solid and looks awesome with the red SS gripper shifter, But I just can't get over how much effort you need to change gears! Plus it seems a little more noisy than the stock shifter?
papawattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
Yes it will break in slightly. And yes it is a little noisier than the stocker, especially if you tend to rest your hand on it while driving, which you shouldn't do anyway.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
faSSt
**Sold n' Sad**

Drives: 11 F150 Supercrew FX4 5.0
I've had mine in for about 4000 miles, the centering spring may have gotten a little bit looser (hard to tell when you drive it daily/weekly) But if it seems like its a bit notchy or hard to get into gear you might want to make sure that it is installed nice and level under there. As far as noise, i think mine has less road noise coming through than stock but when it come to actually engageing the gear its probably a little louder.

I talked with George at MGW and he said he was making a replacement knob shaft to make it a little taller. (more leverage/easier on your forearm)
2011 Camaro 2SS, SIM, 6M, HUD, 10% tint, black out lenses, SS emblems, TSP 304 LT's, Roto-Fab, MGW shifter, gto res, 8K BFXENON, HP Tuners, Redline Fluids. ***Sold*** Now in an 11' F150 supercrew FX4.
Still addicted to the this forum
faSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
papawattz

2nd version of shifter

I'm wondering, do you have the first version where the front support arms are straight, with one hole at each end and require you to leave the bolt loose until yhe end for leveling purposes? Because I got a revised version where the two front support arms have a slight angle to them and have a second hole on top of the bolt hole, where they now have a guide pin that eliminates having to leave the bolt loose for leveling.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
Good2go
Team Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Z06 and 2011 Camaro 2SS
I've had mine now for around a thousand miles, it is a bit stiff, notchy even, no change so far since the install. I haven't experienced any noise issues though.
Good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
papawattz

1000 miles,huh....this might suck! maybe I'll get used to it,did you?:(
Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: '11 CGM LS3
A shorter throw = less leverage = more effort.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
papawattz

I also don't understand why so noisy? all the extra insulation and padding this thing should have been quieter?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
papawattz

I don't mind the effort so much,I do work out and drink my milk! But the notchyness sucks. I'm just wondering if this purchase was worth it? I guess I'll just have to give it some time.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
faSSt
**Sold n' Sad**

Drives: 11 F150 Supercrew FX4 5.0
I have the original version. That's cool though, no need to level new setup
2011 Camaro 2SS, SIM, 6M, HUD, 10% tint, black out lenses, SS emblems, TSP 304 LT's, Roto-Fab, MGW shifter, gto res, 8K BFXENON, HP Tuners, Redline Fluids. ***Sold*** Now in an 11' F150 supercrew FX4.
Still addicted to the this forum
faSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
njdad61

Drives: '12 45th Ann. 2SS Coupe, '79 Z28
The TR6060 is notchy in the first place, it's just harder to feel it with the sloppy stock shifter. You have the new version, so no need to worry about leveling it. I have the composite race knob and there is a little more noise due to the materials used, especially when resting your hand on it. Which bushings did you use? The hard, black race ones come installed but there are gray, softer bushings in a plastic baggie that are made for street use that soften it up some. Those are the bushings I used and it's definitely not as harsh while still having a "firm" feel. I've never missed a shift or had any sort of discomfort with them installed.
CFM Painted Heritage Grille, JRE Custom Tune, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Doug Thorley LT Headers w/ Catless Midpipes, Borla S-Type Catback, RotoFab CAI, ADM Race Scoop, ADM W/W Reservoir Relocation Kit, MGW Short Throw Shifter, BMR Split Drop Springs(1/4" front/1" rear), BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, 6000k HID Bulbs, AAC P13W Plasma LED DRLs, AAC ABL Interior Lighting Kit (Dome/Footwells/Trunk), RPI Designs Charcoal Sidemarker Covers
njdad61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by papawattz View Post
1000 miles,huh....this might suck! maybe I'll get used to it,did you?:(
The centering spring does loosen up quite a bit... More so than most realize...

The reason I say this is I thought mine was still tight and I tried one that had just been installed in a friends car... Wow, what a difference...

You'll learn to hold the shifter different and soon loose any discomfort and concern with it...

When going into 2nd and 6th, since you mentioned them, I don't hold the shifter, I cup it with my palm on the passenger side, thumb on top, and pull it towards me... then slide it up to third with my palm...

Going into 6th, I have my palm on the side of the shifter, drivers side, thumb down, and push it away from me as I'm sliding it down into 6th...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #13
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I had my MGW installed a little over a week ago and noticed the same stiffness and notchiness. Also frequently end up in 4th when trying to go from 5th to 6th. It has seemed to loosen up a little since then. BUT...just today I received and installed the optional retro shifter lever and ball with the red SS, I think that lever is a little bit longer than the standard one for the stock leather ball and so far, in an around-the-block test, it seems to decrease the shift effort slightly (also seems to make the throw seem a little longer). I think it will help with the 5th to 6th shifts because the ball is perfectly round and my palm seems to pivot better on it than the irregular stock leather knob.

I also noticed increased road noise through the shifter and console area. I thought all those foam pads would make it quieter. But I noticed when installing the new lever and ball that those pads are a loose fit in there. I think noise is coming around the edges, so I stuffed some new, clean polishing cloths around the sides and packed them in a little better, and I think it's a little quieter now. Only time will tell though.
Mods: Ridetech coilovers, prothane bushings, braided brake lines, Pfadt ZL1 style sways, Hawk ceramic pads, Spohn trailing arms, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, HF cats, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, MBRP rec tips, Cold Air Inductions black CAI, MGW short-throw shifter w/retro shift ball, Showstopper Engine Bling, Forgeline MD3P's 9.5 & 11", Conti DWS 275's & 315's. JDP harness and DRL's. Seibon carbon fiber GFX, Anvil carbon fiber rear spoiler. Oracle ghosted LED side marker lights.

Proud previous owner of: 1968 327 Camaro, 1972 Camaro SS 350, 1978 Z28, 1979 Z28. 2010 SS is My 5th Camaro

Last edited by My 5th; 09-15-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: added noise comment
My 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #14
papawattz

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdad61 View Post
The TR6060 is notchy in the first place, it's just harder to feel it with the sloppy stock shifter. You have the new version, so no need to worry about leveling it. I have the composite race knob and there is a little more noise due to the materials used, especially when resting your hand on it. Which bushings did you use? The hard, black race ones come installed but there are gray, softer bushings in a plastic baggie that are made for street use that soften it up some. Those are the bushings I used and it's definitely not as harsh while still having a "firm" feel. I've never missed a shift or had any sort of discomfort with them installed.
Hey thanks for the feedback, I too have the gripper shift knob, and it's funny you said that about the sloppy factory shifter,a guy at work basically said the same thing! You know I read in the instructions about the different bushings, but I didn't recieve the softer ones as an option? I Drove it around quite a bit today and it seems to be loosning up,or I'm just getting used to it? I also just noticed today it seems to rattle and clunk around more(when cold or low speeds), not the mgw,but something else, any clues anybody?
Old 09-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #15
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
I have one of the first MGW shifters. I have the race knob on it. I've had mine on the car for 5500 miles. I'd say mine took about 600 miles or so to break in. It just gets smoother with time. I shift mine in much the same manner as SSE 4 2SS. I have tried other shifters in other cars and the MGW is by far the best on out there.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #16
Good2go
Team Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Z06 and 2011 Camaro 2SS
I kept the stock Camaro knob, so VERY short overall lever hieght = higher effort. I'm used to it though, no complaints.
Good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #17
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I got mine installed at MGW in July and have put about 8k miles on since then. As soemone else described, you have to change the way you are used to shifting. After a while it becomes second nature. As of the time mine was installed there were no longer bushing options, just a medium one. As far as noise, I get none at all unless I cup my hand over top of the shifter and then I can hear a faint hum or buzz. Oh and I have the gripper knob.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
IDEALG
"Chevy" rumbles best

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
I just got one recently it now has 200 miles on it. at first it was a bit tight but i think you just have to get use to the spring tension a little. its a very nice shifter and i used the stock shift knob. mine doesnt make any noise.
IDEALG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Love mine....I replaced a factory Hurst shifter and this MGW is clean, crisp and tight. I LIKE that it tries to center the lever on every shift but it's easy to fix like SSE mentioned....just use your palm and push in the direction you want to go while pulling down.

I love mine.
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote