Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

View Poll Results: Evo X or 2009 Sti?
Evo 21 43.75%
Sti 11 22.92%
Id rather gauge my eyes out with a spoon. 16 33.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Evo X or Sti

My friend is, against my will, going to buy a rally car and turn it into a track monster.

I know we have a couple Sti and Evo guys on this site, which one is more capable both stock and with aftermarket?

thanks
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
neither, camaro for sure

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
diddiyo

Drives: .
evo! test drove one yesterday and i am seriously thinking about going back to the dealer and haggle over a price...
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Evo 9? lol
Old 03-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
evo! test drove one yesterday and i am seriously thinking about going back to the dealer and haggle over a price...
did you also look at the Sti?

Id like some factual points to bring up in conversation with him
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 03-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
diddiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
did you also look at the Sti?
nope, didn't look at the STI. I like the older Subies but the new one is ugly as hell. it's also more expensive if i'm not mistaken and has lost pretty much every comparison test to the Evo X. I don't know what the market is like for the STI these days, but I was told by the dealer right away if I'm interested in an Evo I could take $6500 off any Evo on the lot. I'm sure I could make that 7k or so.

btw, the top gear Evo/STI review was fun (S11E02), here's a short clip can't find the full review on youtube though.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
New2010CamaroLover

Drives: 2003 Honda Civic
My buddy has an 07 STI, we just drove from Cali to Colorado for vacation and it's not all that bad... He's more into those rally cars than the beefy V8's but i was actually surprised. It handles really well. Very fast, very easy to drive. You can't stay in 1st very long but the turbo really kicks in in 2nd and 3rd. It also handled really well in the snow. i was very surprised when i got into it really hard and the next thing i knew we were doing 110 and you couldn't really tell you were going that fast. We found out that the snowboard rack starts whistling at 120mph, lol. We had many debates all the way out there what car would win in a race between his STI and my soon to be Camaro, he thinks just cuz it's all wheel drive it'll take me off the line, i tried to explain to him the launch control and all he could say is well we'll take it up the canyon and see who wins, lol. But like i said his car actually handles really well, not very comfortable for a 900+ mile drive and it's very rough on the road. I drove the EVO a while back and it didn't do anything for me, it doesn't seem as fast, not nearly as comfortable, doesn't seem to respond as well as the STI. just my two cents... try harder to convince him to buy American. lol
Old 03-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
vladkgb

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS Pewter
No thanks. Evo X are in the price range of the Camaro SS, with the "MR" being 38k. It also gets really terrible gas mileage for what it is. Maybe if i lived in an area where it snows alot or had dirt roads or something id consider buying one of these things. Also AWD is not fun at all.. you cant do burn outs... plus they buzz.
vladkgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
GSX
Falcon Punch

Drives: Scion tC (way too slow)
EVO X. Reason= Twin clutch better than the Sti's clutch
The EVO is still a very scary car Never doubt it or you will get burned.
GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
shank0668

Drives: Jeep
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
I know someone with a 600hp evo but new block and lots of upgrades.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX View Post
EVO X. Reason= Twin clutch better than the Sti's clutch
The EVO is still a very scary car Never doubt it or you will get burned.
Can the new mitsu DCT handle power better than the Nissan one?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
GatorBlue371

Quote:
nope, didn't look at the STI. I like the older Subies but the new one is ugly as hell. it's also more expensive if i'm not mistaken and has lost pretty much every comparison test to the Evo X. I don't know what the market is like for the STI these days, but I was told by the dealer right away if I'm interested in an Evo I could take $6500 off any Evo on the lot. I'm sure I could make that 7k or so.

btw, the top gear Evo/STI review was fun (S11E02), here's a short clip can't find the full review on youtube though.

Well the thing is the STi has been dumbed down a bit, which for some people (more people than not or else it wouldnt have happened) its a good thing. being more comfortable and more equiped than a GSR while being less $$ than an MR, help make the car a competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladkgb View Post
No thanks. Evo X are in the price range of the Camaro SS, with the "MR" being 38k. It also gets really terrible gas mileage for what it is. Maybe if i lived in an area where it snows alot or had dirt roads or something id consider buying one of these things. Also AWD is not fun at all.. you cant do burn outs... plus they buzz.
Sti actualy lets you dicate where the power goes. Lets you put up to 90% of the power to the rear wheels so it feels like a RWD car if thats what you want.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
For a track monster I’d get an Evo IX but if it’s a DD as well then an Evo X GSR (the dual-clutch will not handle large power). You can get more power $ for $ out of the Evo than the STI. If it’s just a track car then I’d turbo a Miata or do an LS conversion on one. While the engine and AWD system on the Evo IX are great the platform is still based off a basic economy car chassis whereas if you start with a dedicated sports car platform it’s easier to just add power.

To me the STI is for people who like to go fast but also carry people and crap in all kinds of weather.

Also max power that can be sent to the rear is 59% with the diff 95% open.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
My opinion would depend on whether your friend has any sense at all of frugality left in him.

I do think the Mitsu is a slightly better performer numbers wise. My personal experience is that if anything goes wrong with a Mitsu, prepare yourself for some downtime.

This may have changed in the last 5 years or so, but when I was doing insurance adjusting a mitsu would take a long time to get parts for. The Subaru's on the other hand had a better supported parts channel. That is not a statement on reliability in any way. They're both pretty amazing though and have great aftermarket support.

I would lean toward the Subaru myself. As far as the Subaru being ugly- I think they're both pretty hideous actually. I think that if they have to be ugly, at least the Subaru actually has a lot more useful space and a factory roof rack for my bikes.

You can definitely do burnouts and powerslides in either car if you fiddle with the settings.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Voted EVO .. IMO better all around car ! Great AWD system.

Crowley
Old 03-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
For a track monster I’d get an Evo IX but if it’s a DD as well then an Evo X GSR (the dual-clutch will not handle large power). You can get more power $ for $ out of the Evo than the STI. If it’s just a track car then I’d turbo a Miata or do an LS conversion on one. While the engine and AWD system on the Evo IX are great the platform is still based off a basic economy car chassis whereas if you start with a dedicated sports car platform it’s easier to just add power.

To me the STI is for people who like to go fast but also carry people and crap in all kinds of weather.

Also max power that can be sent to the rear is 59% with the diff 95% open.

Well you own an STi... what kind of Aftermarket is there for one?

For instance... how much $$ / Hp-Tq would an intake, exhaust, tune give you on a stock sti?

The way my buddy and i feel about it is... Evo GSR<STi<Evo MR, and the MR is out of the price range so STi it is. The fact that stock for stock the evo outperforms it is something that is considered, however he'd be going aftermarket for about everything so he's just interested in Engine/Drive train. plus IMVHO the Sti is laid out better than the Evo. simple.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #17
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
I used to own a Mitsushiti Eclipse GSX Turbo. It was an OK car for the money, the Evo is supposed to be fast. But who wants to go fast and look that ugly...not me!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #18
diddiyo

that $6500 off just jumped to $8000 according to a message the dealer just left me lol. looks like they really want me to go back there.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #19
GatorBlue371

Quote:
that $6500 off just jumped to $8000 according to a message the dealer just left me lol. looks like they really want me to go back there.
you looking at the GSR or MR?

from everything ive seen the GSR would be more fun
Old 03-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #20
SS 376

Drives: IBM 1SS
Quote:
Which dealer? Is it Bell Mitsubishi?
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #21
diddiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can-Am View Post
Which dealer? Is it Bell Mitsubishi?
well actually all-star mitsu in sayreville first offered me the $6500 off right away and then today i got a call from bell about the 8k off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
you looking at the GSR or MR?
GSR. but the thing is, until now i wasn't even serious about that car. i only went there to see one in person since i had never seen it before. but now they are throwing those discounts at me lol.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:11 PM   #22
twigg107

Drives: 05 Subaru STi
Both cars have their good and bad points. I've owned a 05sti and now own a 08sti so you can say I'm more of a subaru guy but the evo's are very well built cars. The only way to decide which one is for you is to test drive them both. My 05 was built for the track... I'd nearly piss blood after 3hr drive but my 08 is a perfect DD car.
03 Chevy Siverado 2500HD
69 Chevy C-10 (bagged and bodydropped)
twigg107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:53 PM   #23
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigg107 View Post
Both cars have their good and bad points. I've owned a 05sti and now own a 08sti so you can say I'm more of a subaru guy but the evo's are very well built cars. The only way to decide which one is for you is to test drive them both. My 05 was built for the track... I'd nearly piss blood after 3hr drive but my 08 is a perfect DD car.
So which would you rather have as your only car in college, the 05' or 08'
Old 04-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #24
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
There is plenty of aftermarket for the ST and Evo both. In the past you could make more power with the Evo cheaper because you didnít need to upgrade the turbo as soon. Not sure if that is still the case on the new B411 engine.

Stock STIí dyno at around 225 AWHP, the cheapest thing is to go directly to a stage two tune which is:

Downpipe - $500 for catted $250 for non
Cobb Access Port $650-$700
Protune - $500, most will require compression testing and so forth so another $100 or so.

On 93 Octane that should net you about 260 AWHP and 310lb Tq.

Most will go with a full TBE instead of the just the DP although that s really just for looks and sound so another $400-$1,000 depending on what you like.

Through in a CAI for $300 and maybe add another 10hp.

Iím quoting wheel horse power as that is more appropriate since AWD cars loose more power to parasitic powertrain losses as compared to RWD cars. Of course itís made back up in the 0-60/0-100 range due to added grip.

The majority of the power in STIís and Evoís is between 0-80 mph IMO. For instance even from a roll (not an STI strong suit) and with only a stage 1 OTS map (est 250 AWHP) I can pace or nudge ahead of a Merc S600 (twin turbo V12). Once you get to 70+ heíll pull on me from there.

As to only car in college Iíd take the STI due to the added practicality. Iíve hauled lots of crap in mine including my OEM exhaust and kid which you could never do in an Evo.

Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #25
SS 376

Drives: IBM 1SS
Quote:
well actually all-star mitsu in sayreville first offered me the $6500 off right away and then today i got a call from bell about the 8k off.

GSR. but the thing is, until now i wasn't even serious about that car. i only went there to see one in person since i had never seen it before. but now they are throwing those discounts at me lol.
I bought an Evo9 from Bell. I had a good experience with them, for what it's worth. This was back in ~2004 though. People may have changed since then. How can they be making money with an $8000 discount?
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote