Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Raymonds Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,566
Painting Shifter plate QUESTION???

This week im going to be doing some painting of the center console. I ran across a photo of a guy who painted the shifter plate piece black. How did he mask off the letters like P, N, R, D, M, so the light would still shine through? Is that 2 pieces or did he mask those letters off?

__________________
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
xTHExxFALLENx
 
xTHExxFALLENx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR camaro 1LT w/RS package
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 166
That paint actually looks like one of those stick on decals.
xTHExxFALLENx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTHExxFALLENx View Post
That paint actually looks like one of those stick on decals.
Your probably right on this pic but I swore I saw other pics on here of it painted
__________________
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
xTHExxFALLENx
 
xTHExxFALLENx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR camaro 1LT w/RS package
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 166
Looks go though but I'd much rather have it painted.

Last edited by xTHExxFALLENx; 10-14-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
xTHExxFALLENx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Eric Baker

 
Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 946
He probably popped off the lighting assembly from the back. If it's like any other car, it should just un-clip, maybe unscrew, then you can paint without worry and install it when you're done. Shoud come off very easily.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,566
I was unaware there was a light assembly underneath. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
He probably popped off the lighting assembly from the back. If it's like any other car, it should just un-clip, maybe unscrew, then you can paint without worry and install it when you're done. Shoud come off very easily.
__________________
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA
 
daveagogo1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Trinity, Florida
Posts: 6,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
He probably popped off the lighting assembly from the back. If it's like any other car, it should just un-clip, maybe unscrew, then you can paint without worry and install it when you're done. Shoud come off very easily.
There is no light on the actual silver bezel. The backside of the bezel is painted matte black with a strip the size of the PDNMR unpainted with a clear coating. The top side of it contains a reflective overlay on the unit. the PDNRM is reflective material, this is why it is raised up on the bezel. There is a light deep down in the assembly somewhere that can shine up into this area appearing to make the letters glow. I did not find the light source as i didn't care to find it. What i did besides mask off the windows before paint is i bought a sheet of glow in the dark self adhesive material. Traced and cut out the letters with exacto and stuck them on the finished part. Works just as well as the OEM did.

In the photo supplied earlier in the thread. That person didn't paint the T/C button or the 12v button. I painted them both covering right over the T/C lighted portion. I can see it in my cluster and know when it's on so need for the light anyways. That part however does have a light in it.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Fast cars have rubber on the quarter panels...you sissies need to knock it off.


Last edited by daveagogo1; 10-15-2011 at 10:09 PM.
daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right
 
austinjames's Avatar
 
Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,566
Thanks a lot for clearing this up. Now Im going to have to decide wether to paint over it like you did with the stickers or leave it be. By the way yours looks very nice man great job.


Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
There is no light on the actual silver bezel. The backside of the bezel is painted matte black with a strip the size of the PDNMR unpainted with a clear coating. The top side of it contains a reflective overlay on the unit. the PDNRM is reflective material, this is why it is raised up on the bezel. There is a light deep down in the assembly somewhere that can shine up into this area appearing to make the letters glow. I did not find the light source as i didn't care to find it. What i did besides mask off the windows before paint is i bought a sheet of glow in the dark self adhesive material. Traced and cut out the letters with exacto and stuck them on the finished part. Works just as well as the OEM did.

In the photo supplied earlier in the thread. That person didn't paint the T/C button or the 12v button. I painted them both covering right over the T/C lighted portion. I can see it in my cluster and know when it's on so need for the light anyways. That part however does have a light in it.
__________________
austinjames is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about wetsanding inbetween painting denny2188 Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 7 08-11-2011 09:38 AM
Painting Question... Alaskan SS Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 4 05-10-2011 04:03 PM
Question to anyone with MGW shifter KKJ V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 5 01-23-2011 06:44 AM
The New and Improved Hurst Shifter alfie43 V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 29 08-11-2010 10:47 PM
Personalized License Plate Question The Dark Knight General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 1 09-04-2009 07:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.