Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Judge

Drives: 2011 L99 Camaro SS
Air Intake For My Headers & Exhausts

Hey guys,

I'm considering adding a Cold Air Intake System on my L99

I've already got Long Tube Headers, and Loudmouth II Exhaust System from SLP

I've read that air intakes decrease your engines reliability as time passes, and i'm not sure which brand to choose from.

So, what do you guys think?

It'll be interesting to hear your arguments and thoughts,
please include the reliability issue
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I've had my Cold Air Inductions, Inc. intake for a good year now, and I have not had any issues at all. My car is also an L99.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Juiced1
JUICED MOTORSPORTS

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Where did you hear that from? A CAI shouldn't effect your reliablity at all. We recomend CAI or Roto-Fab, we sell a bunch of them and haven't had any complaints on either system. They both will add power, look good and sound awesome. We carry tons of options though. CHeck out our intake page and hit us up for a Camaro5 discount!

http://juicedmotorsports.com/2010CAMAROINTAKE.html
Get more Power per Dollar!!!! We carry all the hot new products for your 5th gen! CAI, Roto-Fab, Solo, Corsa, MBRP, ARH, Stainless Works, MRT, SLP, Procharger, Whipple, BMR, Diablosport, Superchips, Street Scene, VFN Fiberglass and much more. Contact us for your Camaro5 discount today!
Call us at 224-63-JUICE - 224-400-5793
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I've read that air intakes decrease your engines reliability as time passes, and i'm not sure which brand to choose from.
I think that argument stems from the fact that a high flow air filter flows more air, therefore it must allow excess dirt to pass through vs. the conventional filters. I have heard this same thing about Harley's and high flow. Just about everybody with a Harley, the first thing they do is the stage 1 upgrade.

If you maintain your oiled filter like you are supposed to, it will filter just as well as a conventional filter. Other things I've heard is that over oiling can mess up your MAF because the oil gets on the platinum element and then it doesn't work properly. I can attest to that one, happened on my Z71. All you do is clean the sensor elements with brake cleaner and problem goes away. That's the worst thing I have heard and experience about oiled filters.

And PM Juiced about the CAI intake. I bought mine from him and it's a great unit.
bannonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
The CAI, Inc is what I have and no problems.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System;
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
I've had my Cold Air Inductions, Inc. intake for a good year now, and I have not had any issues at all. My car is also an L99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Where did you hear that from? A CAI shouldn't effect your reliablity at all.
http://juicedmotorsports.com/2010CAMAROINTAKE.html
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
If you maintain your oiled filter like you are supposed to, it will filter just as well as a conventional filter. And PM Juiced about the CAI intake. I bought mine from him and it's a great unit.
+1 Thank you for choosing CAI Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlingSS View Post
The CAI, Inc is what I have and no problems.

Bill

As you can see our system is a very popular choice, in fact every poll taken for the V8 Camaro regarding choice of a CAI we have been the clear winner. Trust me, I am not trying to toot my hown horn here, but we make a high quality product and those who do their research know quality when they see it. As for reliablilty, that thought has absolutely no substance whatsoever, I would be happy to answer any specific questions regarding any concerns you may have. Heres a little bit about us:

Cold Air Inductions, Inc. intake systems benefits:

: Tig welded aluminum air box (high luster finish reflects radiant heat)

: Insulated air box (this adding another layer of thermal (convection) protection)

: Aluminum lid with stainless steel ¼ turn fasteners (fast filter removal)

: Viewing window for fast easy filter inspection.

: High Luster ceramic coated intake tube (coated inside and out, yet another layer of thermal protection)

: Smooth bore (88.9 mm) intake tube construction (this minimizes bends and restrictions within the system)

: 8” V-stack air filter with built in velocity stack (helps reduce turbulence for truer MAF reading)

: 8 layer air filter (maximizing filtration for prolonged engine life

: LIFETIME WARRANTY

We have sold thousands of intakes, have thousands of happy customers, and incorporate design features that make our system a true Cold Air Intake. We see great #’s on the Dyno as well as the track, and can keep our intake temps within 2 degrees of ambient air due to our design features.

Check out these links as well:

Testimonials Video - http://www.coldairinductions.com/testimonials

3D Filter Video - http://www.coldairinductions.com/air-filters/filters-in-action/

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help!!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
I don't think Judge's issue is with the quality of how the CAI is built, more about the affects it has on the engine in general. As I stated, the only issue is if you over-oil and that oil gets onto the MAF. I did that once with a K&N on my truck. A simple cleaning of the MAF element fixed the issue. It took time for that oil residue to build up and finally affect the MAF.
bannonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
I don't think Judge's issue is with the quality of how the CAI is built, more about the affects it has on the engine in general. As I stated, the only issue is if you over-oil and that oil gets onto the MAF. I did that once with a K&N on my truck. A simple cleaning of the MAF element fixed the issue. It took time for that oil residue to build up and finally affect the MAF.

TheHorsePowerJunkies.com has recently added me as an industry expert columnist and this was my first article. Check the article out, I think you and everyone else will find it informative, its regarding oiled vs. dry filters and ties into what we are all talking about here: http://thehorsepowerjunkies.com/gene...-your-vehicle/
Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Hey guys,

I'm considering adding a Cold Air Intake System on my L99

I've already got Long Tube Headers, and Loudmouth II Exhaust System from SLP

So, what do you guys think?

It'll be interesting to hear your arguments and thoughts,
please include the reliability issue

There has been a lot of talk over the years on the wet vs dry filter elements and how they work to filter the particles going into the engine.

The higher flow intake systems generally increase flow by a number of ways, not just a filter so keep that in mind with all of this. Most are going to use a larger inlet tube size, larger filter element, and air couplers so that you get the most from the air available to come into the engine.

As some have stated above, one issue with late model cars with the wet filters is that if they are oiled to much they will blow through, collect on the MAF sensor and start to cause issues with how the car reads the incoming air and thrus not only hurt performance but also fuel mileage as well as the car does not know what to do because the information is wrong from the sensor.

The wet filters do have one advantage is that the longer you run them, generally the better they filter because the very tiny dust particles will fill in the small gaps in the material and help collect other debris.

I have seen reports both sides on the amount of particles that need to be filtered going into the engine but you also have to think it is blowing hot oil and oil vapors right back into the engine after the filter so any wear items that are going on inside the engine, get blown right back into it through the PCV system as well.

With today's filters all of them are going to do an excellent job of filtering the air going into the engine, especially the big companies like Green Filters, K&N, Donaldson, and others. We choose GreenFilters for our own intake systems because of their long standing results from the race car program.

To-date the longest mileage test car I have had with one of our own designed cold air systems with a wet filter was our 2000 FRC Corvette test bed. An accident with another car finally stopped it at 168,000 miles.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 2012 zl1
We have many, many intakes out there on Camaros and we are very proud of the feedback we receive from Camaro owners. Our intake performs well, sounds awesome and is very proven and reliable. Our system comes standard with a high gloss powder coat finish that looks great and protects the aluminum from oxidation, high gloss silicone hoses which won't dry out and crack like rubber couplers, stainless steel hose clamps and a lifetime USA filter. We have "tuned" our system to the stock calibration of your car which gives you good performance without worry about setting codes/CEL.

In addition you can get:
Dry filter option
Custom painted air box in any color
Red or yellow hoses
Polished stainless steel inlet elbow
Carbon fiber finish inlet elbow

Also, we offer a host of other products for under your hood. All of our products are made in our shop with much care and attention to detail. We can hook you up with a high quality intake that looks like could have came with your car or you can go with our entire underhood package with all the color you want! Many of our customers start with our intake system, then add our other components on piece at a time.

Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote