Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #26
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Ever heard of that age old saying "Mother knows best."? As much as we hate to admit, our parents really do know what's best for us (I'm just a youngin to just a little bit older then you are). They have lived it, they have been there and done that. If you have thought about doing something, they have already done it and can tell you about it. Your parents aren't saying that it's too much for you just because they don't want you to get it. They are saying it because the SS IS too much car for an inexperienced driver such as yourself. There is a reason why teenage boys have the highest insurance among any age group. Statistics show that you are pretty much guaranteed to be involved in a wreak before you are 18. Add in 430 hp and your chances of being hurt or even killed in a wreak goes up drastically. Plus do you really want to spend $40 grand on a car that you WILL wreak within two years and still owe money on after wards? You might as well just throw that $40k in the fire place if this is what you want to do. Instead buy an LS or a 1LT and keep the other $15k that you will save. Or better yet, buy a nice 4th gen, drive it for a couple years then buy a 5th gen.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestripes17 View Post
i know how to drive ive been driving all over for at least 2 1/2 years but they dont know that
By driving, do you mean a car, tractor, go-kart, what? Since you say that your parents don't know and brought it up as 'experience', I will assume that you mean a car ... on public roads. If thats the case then you've been driving cars illegally and that kinda shows your level of judgement, doesn't it? And I'll go out on a limb and say that I probably drive farther in 1 month than you have in your life.

The reason why most of us don't want you to have an SS is because none of us want to hear about some kid wrapping his brand new SS around a tree a month after he picks it up.

By the way, that $20 000 that you say you are getting, there are waaay better things to use it for at your age than getting a brand new car. Particularly when its 'gift' money.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 PM   #28
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
My birthday is coming up and I need to convince my parents to get me a 2ss red camaro but they say its too much car. Which is sorta why I want it cause is badass! Anyone have any advice or want to help pay for it
I totally wanna pay for it!!!

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #29
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
if you can get your parents to get it for you go for it!

dont hate on the kid =P

but since your 16 what they say goes...and as far as insurance, its gonna be through the roof for you...the car i wanted for my first car was a 2001 caddy eldorado(and i was 18)...my father just laughed at me and said he got 5k from his tax returns to find something in that price range...i was a stubborn teenage and said i didnt want no cheap shit and he ended up spending the money on his own truck buying an exhaust, push gaurd, visor, neon lights under the car(that was to piss me off) and few other lil things...and i ended up settling for a 400 dollar 87 nissan stanza he got from his friends junk yard...so take my advice and take what you can cuz it could be worse...plus your only 16 and its ur first car...im happy i didnt get that eldorado then cuz i would destroyed it(not by crashing it but just by driving it in the ground)....dont worry your day will come when the time is right...................
Old 03-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #30
Cyberfan

Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
Quote:
my dad has brought me home corvettes, roush, g8s to drive before and now he says i dont need it cause my mom doesnt want me in it he would get it for me but its always the mom
Moms are smart sometimes!!!
Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:44 PM   #31
RS/SS
The wait is over!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS IOM
Quote:
my dad has brought me home corvettes, roush, g8s to drive before and now he says i dont need it cause my mom doesnt want me in it he would get it for me but its always the mom
Your Dad realizes this old saying.... "Happy wife, happy life". So he will take the side of your mother in this case, which BTW she's absolutely correct to not want her 16 year old son behind the wheel of a 426HP automobile.
RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #32
dvredc6427

Drives: 08 Z06 427, 03 BMW M5, 04 SSR
The saying goes you get out of life what you put into it. A new $38,000 426HP Camaro at age 16-17 is asking for an awful lot - before paying the price. Great that your grandparents are willing to give you a very sizeable amount of money but do a reality check and give this a lot of thought - as much thought as a teenager can give it. Look around and see how many hard working and much older adults in their 20's, 30's & 40's are driving cars that cost $38,000 large. A pretty small percentage even in affluent areas of the country. Not to burst your bubble or dream but your dad's probably right - too much car for an inexperienced driver. Make your dad a deal - agree to get a used one in 1-2 years IF you bust your ass for him AND show him the maturity you should have to deserve something few adults will get. Convince him to spend a few thousand of that money coming from your grandparents to go to a 2-3 day advanced driving school so you won't kill yourself or your friends or me if you get any performace car. Your dad should appreciate you being willing to wait a year or two AND that you want to learn how to drive properly before you get something like a Camaro. Take it from a 49 year old who had a very generous father. Don't expect too much and you will always be pleased with what you get rather that always wishing for what you don't have. It's a much better way to go through life. Show the respect your father and everyone else deserves and good luck.
dvredc6427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:08 PM   #33
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
Quote:
i know how to drive ive been driving all over for at least 2 1/2 years but they dont know that
so your 16 and you've been driving for 2 years?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 PM   #34
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Here's the deal. You love a great car. It contains a high amount of badassery, but you likely don't have the maturity to drive it yet. Yes—you probably can handle the horsepower and torque, but I'm not sure that you're prepared for a car this badass. You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:23 PM   #35
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
god dude, you do not need a camaro at 16. . . nor any car with 300+ hp.

franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:30 PM   #36
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Good luck with that kid.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:50 PM   #37
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Here's the deal. You love a great car. It contains a high amount of badassery, but you likely don't have the maturity to drive it yet. Yes—you probably can handle the horsepower and torque, but I'm not sure that you're prepared for a car this badass. You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.

Go for the V6. And after a couple years if you and your parents think you're ready trade up.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:52 PM   #38
whitestripes17

Drives: Chevy Silverado 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT21 View Post
I totally wanna pay for it!!!

i will take you up on that
whitestripes17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #39
soverydeb

Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro Blk/Blk
way back when I was in high school, (and we are talking many years here) a guy I knew had a hot sports car...for a month...ended up wrapping it around a telephone pole, broke his jaw and his arm...not cool. Not saying this will happen to you, but I really wouldn't want to see it happen to you so young. Get a beater, because when you go off to college, your car will be trashed due to everyone else's irresponsibility. Trust us adults here, just looking out for you.
soverydeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #40
jakemaxx

Drives: 1969 impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
426hp is wayyyyy too much if your not an experienced driver.
i am 16 buying this car with all of my own money. and 400hp isnt that insaine amount of power so just practice alittle you can get it.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #41
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemaxx View Post
i am 16 buying this car with all of my own money. and 400hp isn't that insane amount of power so just practice a little you can get it.
400 is actually quite an insane amount of horsepower. At least all the insurance companies say so...
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:07 AM   #42
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemaxx View Post
i am 16 buying this car with all of my own money. and 400hp isnt that insaine amount of power so just practice alittle you can get it.
lol

i'll be 21 when I get the car. Driven for long enough with enough cars to know how 400hp feels like. It's hard to handle the car when you do something stupid which at 16 you are. Get over yourself.
plus i said an experienced driver, you are not experienced at 16 as much as you or your friends would like to think so.

when you can avoid hitting a light pole and a bus full of people, while going sideways at 50mph, then and only then shall I even think of considering you an experienced driver.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:19 AM   #43
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
trust me when i say 2.5 years is not enough. Been driving for 6 years and I'm still waiting 1-2 years to get a 5th gen.

You are not an experienced driver.

I'm in the same boat as Milk here, i'm just a bit younger. and trust us all, he's right. if you HAVE to have a camaro (for whatever reason), get an LT, or a LS. i've got about 4 years of LEGAL driving under my belt, and as much as i like to think i'm an experienced driver, i know i'm not. i hope you don't get an SS, i don't want to read about an SS being wrapped around a lightpole, and especially not anyone being injured because they can't handle the power.

my friend, the old SS's and Z-28's were stupid fast. This one's faster.

And to "Milk 1027": Props to the Safety Dance
moto-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:23 AM   #44
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-camaro View Post
aw milk, no more dance? seeing that vid made my day
It's still there just not loading for some reason.

on topic: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...67&postcount=5

Every time I think of this, I get a little scared thinking of what this 5th gen will do.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #45
aborrego

Drives: 2002 chevy tracker
kids that young give other young drivers bad names. you should really be glad your parents really love you and wait till you are really ready for that much car (V6). but just my oppinion.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:36 AM   #46
gm4life05sle

Drives: Torrent, Bonneville, Impala
My son wants a Camaro 1SS when he is done with school (college) and has a job... That is at least two years off! I will prolly help him some with the SS as his father, but at 16, that is ALOT of car. He started out driving a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix LE Sedan with 3.1L V6 and that still was plently of car for him. A few weeks after he turned 16 back over the mail-box, do you really want this to happen to a 30,000 new car? A Camaro SS none the less? Shit happens and my son knows he isn't ready for a Camaro at 19 yet! I would save the 20K, ask for something like in the 10K range you can get a new Cobalt or Aveo for that! My son is currently driving my "old" 2001 Impala Sedan and were thinking about adding another car for my daughter so she can have the Impala, and were considering used (06 and up) Impala's, GP's, G6's, G5's, Cobalt's or possibly a new Aveo 1LT! The Cobalt and Aveo are high on my sons list because he can learn stick for the Camaro! (I am learning myself still with a friend!) 400 hell 300 hp is too much for you! Dream son, dream all about it and look foward to getting one when you for sure out of highschool or better yet trade school or college. At this age I WOULD NOT DO IT! Great car to love, but give it some time.

Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but the best things in life you wait for! Your mom maybe even for the first time son is right!

2007 Pontiac Torrent FWD
2005 Chevrolet Impala LS
2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE
2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan
Coming someday... A 5th Gen Camaro SS
gm4life05sle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #47
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
You will not be able to afford the insurance, and they will drop you at the first sign of trouble with any model Camaro....trust me. Do all of our insurance premiums a favor and get a Hyundai!

Man to think I bought my own 75 Chevy Malibu Classic back in 86 as my first car and my parents gave me the first years insurance ($900) back then. Freakin' parents today should not buy ANY KID a car, they will have a warped sense of value for the rest of their lives..........save and buy your own damn car, like the other 17 year old kid said........Now that kid I have respect for!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #48
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
yeah saw it just took a few minutes to load up, must have clicked delete on my post while you were posting.

yes, back on topic--> that much power to the rear wheels, combined with inexperience, is a dangerous combination. Read Milk's story, and make sure you learn something from it.
moto-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:52 AM   #49
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Z View Post
Lay off the kid...i planned to get a Terminator Cobra as a first car.
And I planned to get a 1969 L88 corvette. Doesn't mean I did, and it doesn't mean I should have. I ended up getting a 1990 buick century, because my step-dad (being a mechanic) took the money my brother and I had saved up and picked out two cars that ran great. I took the one with the higher horsepower (185 > 85). And I did stupid s*** with it. And almost got in a number of accidents. Got pulled over going 66 in a 40, and only got away with it by the skin of my teeth.

My second car, I moved up in power and got a 1986 IROC with an engine swap. It was running right at about 300 horsepower. I nearly killed myself a few times.

Look, I can't tell you what you should or shouldn't do with your life. But understand that there are people here who have been driving 10-20 times as long as you, with easily 1000 times the miles under the belt. I would have loved that IROC as my first car. But I probably would have totalled it. And not necessarily because I would have done something stupid, but because of that first rule my mom taught me when she taught my brother and I to drive...

PEOPLE.....

ARE....

STUPID! and require you to drive for them. Other people will do stupid things around you no matter how good of a driver you are. You have to get to the point where you can react quickly and appropriately to their stupidity. And with a 400+ horsepower car that is a lot more difficult than you would think. Ever had to evade a dog running out in front of you when you're driving 70+ on a really, really dark highway?

I have. How about a deer? Done that too. When I first started driving, I would have ended up in the ditch so fast its not even funny. Just be careful. Its better to wait 5 years for your camaro than to die 5 weeks after you get it.
- Xanthos

Old 04-01-2009, 02:18 AM   #50
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
I don't know what to say, cause you will do whatever you want, but I would say at the very MOST get the LT, and otherwise get a beater to take the little dings, scratched wheels from the occasional curb rub and other things that will happen as you start gaining more driving experience.

And as to Milks statement of "when you can avoid hitting a light pole and a bus full of people, while going sideways at 50mph, then and only then shall I even think of considering you an experienced driver."

I will help you out with the answer. An experienced driver will never get him/herself into this situation of being sideways and headed towards busses or light posts. That's the best avoidance.
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ss, camaro, car, fast