Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:22 AM   #51
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
when you can avoid hitting a light pole and a bus full of people, while going sideways at 50mph, then and only then shall I even think of considering you an experienced driver.
pshhh that's easy. but i wouldn't encourage them to try...
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:29 AM   #52
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
I don't know what to say, cause you will do whatever you want, but I would say at the very MOST get the LT, and otherwise get a beater to take the little dings, scratched wheels from the occasional curb rub and other things that will happen as you start gaining more driving experience.

And as to Milks statement of "when you can avoid hitting a light pole and a bus full of people, while going sideways at 50mph, then and only then shall I even think of considering you an experienced driver."

I will help you out with the answer. An experienced driver will never get him/herself into this situation of being sideways and headed towards busses or light posts. That's the best avoidance.
true but if read the link on post 44 you would see my situation was unavoidable.

I guess what I mean to say is Sh** happens.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:36 AM   #53
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Quote:
It's still there just not loading for some reason.

on topic: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...67&postcount=5

Every time I think of this, I get a little scared thinking of what this 5th gen will do.
hopefully the STABILITRAK will kick in lol
glad to hear you're ok and you avoided the accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
...An experienced driver will never get him/herself into this situation of being sideways and headed towards busses or light posts. That's the best avoidance.
Doesn't matter how experienced you are, like milk said SH^^ happens sometimes its unavoidable, sometimes it's out of your hands completely, sometimes you make an honest mistake, NASCAR driver's have EXPERIENCE does taht mean Tony Stuarts never been in an accident or almost ?? lol
Old 04-01-2009, 03:16 AM   #54
crazz28

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS, '10 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestripes17 View Post
my dad has brought me home corvettes, roush, g8s to drive before and now he says i dont need it cause my mom doesnt want me in it he would get it for me but its always the mom
There's so much I want to say about this situation it hurts.
First off, I'd buy your mother a present or something with that money, she's just making sure you live past 18.
No matter what you say, the situational awareness of a 16 y.o. is below crappy. It doesn't matter if he brought you home an F1 car, that doesn't mean you're experienced. Those cars do whatever you want them to, that's not experience, that's just sitting in a nice car and making it move. I could give you my sunfire and a gravel road and I'd bet you'd be in the ditch within 10miles, and you probably wouldn't have hit the speed limit yet. I've seen it happen all around where I live, young kids that think they can drive but end up in the ditch or in other accidents, mostly with a friend or two in the car. You are 16, you get a couple buddies in a 426hp Camaro and it can only go downhill from there.
If I was you and I was getting a 20k gift, I'd tell my parents to put some into some mutual funds or something, and maybe buy a nicer used car with the rest. No use wasting a huge gift like that on a heavily depreciating LIABILITY, I don't even consider vehicles assets.

All that said, it's your life, and as much as I hate to say it, you can do whatever you want.

BTW, I'll write you a cheque now if you want, but the repayment plan is 10% monthly interest........cheaper than a credit card.....huh.....huh....maybe sleep on that one.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #55
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Here's the deal. You love a great car. It contains a high amount of badassery, but you likely don't have the maturity to drive it yet. Yes—you probably can handle the horsepower and torque, but I'm not sure that you're prepared for a car this badass. You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
Another sig worthy quote from Blur.

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #56
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave

Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
I have to agree with the majority here. Get something decent to drive for a few years and then move up. Anyone who thinks that 400+ horsepower isn't much obviously doesn't know how much it REALLY is.

Hey, I'm not jumping on your case but, I don't want to see more stories about kids getting killed in a hot car. First, I don't wan anyone killed. Second, I am tired of people using it as ammo to try to force HP limits.

It becomes obvious from your posts that you are pretty normal for a teenager, you know everything. You'll be amazed at how much you don't know as soon as you get past that.

Has anyone seen my sanity? I am hiding from it and don't want it sneaking up on me!
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #57
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhawk View Post
I have to agree with the majority here. Get something decent to drive for a few years and then move up. Anyone who thinks that 400+ horsepower isn't much obviously doesn't know how much it REALLY is.

Hey, I'm not jumping on your case but, I don't want to see more stories about kids getting killed in a hot car. First, I don't wan anyone killed. Second, I am tired of people using it as ammo to try to force HP limits.

It becomes obvious from your posts that you are pretty normal for a teenager, you know everything. You'll be amazed at how much you don't know as soon as you get past that.

I'm jumping in on this one too. Kid, I'm old enough to be your momma and I will not advocate you getting a 2SS under any circumstances. Even if you have your own money ~ wouldn't do it.

In fact, if I figure out who you are I'll call your momma myself and make certain she doesn't get stupid.

We love our babies and you can talk us into a lot of things, but a 2SS shouldn't be one of them!
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #58
jakemaxx

Drives: 1969 impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimsoblack View Post
400 is actually quite an insane amount of horsepower. At least all the insurance companies say so...
well the insurance companies are retarded i drove a 2004 saleen the other day that pushes 400hp and i was drifting at 34 to 40 and didnt hit any thing so yeah. you can consider me an experienced driver and i am only 16
Old 04-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #59
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave

Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemaxx View Post
well the insurance companies are retarded i drove a 2004 saleen the other day that pushes 400hp and i was drifting at 34 to 40 and didnt hit any thing so yeah. you can consider me an experienced driver and i am only 16

No they look at statistics and how often young people get in accidents and how much that rate increases as HP numbers go up and adjust rates accordingly.

Just because you survived doing that once or twice, (or however many times you want to claim) doesn't mean it was intelligent (if done anywhere but a track) or that you don't increase the chances of an accident (even if you aren't in it). Come on get real, insurance companies are not made up of fools.

Has anyone seen my sanity? I am hiding from it and don't want it sneaking up on me!
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #60
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
Quote:
Did you drive it on a open road.....or a race course or empty parking lot....
Old 04-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #61
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
I've done a lot of crazy things that looked impressive at the time. But it doesn't mean the outcome would be the same if I tried them agian.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #62
jakemaxx

Drives: 1969 impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
Did you drive it on a open road.....or a race course or empty parking lot....
i started out at the parking lot jumped out to the back ally then hit the streets. had to get a feel for the stearing and how it reacted before i did any thing to crazy.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #63
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
You are a kid and do not need this much horsepower.

End of discussion.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #64
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Quote:
i started out at the parking lot jumped out to the back ally then hit the streets. had to get a feel for the stearing and how it reacted before i did any thing to crazy.
you are the reason why everyone is saying what they are saying.

I will not say what I really feel about you because I will surely get banned for it.
All I gotta say is, you are not as cool as you think you are.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #65
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Quote:
All I gotta say is, you are not as cool as you think you are.

- Xanthos
Old 04-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #66
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestripes17 View Post
My birthday is coming up and I need to convince my parents to get me a 2ss red camaro but they say its too much car. Which is sorta why I want it cause is badass! Anyone have any advice or want to help pay for it
Can I convince them to buy me one?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #67
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
But you know whats funny? All of us enthusiasts who are now older and a bit wiser were the same way when we were 16. Cars..... its in the genes.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #68
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Exactly. You are doing "crazy" things on the street. Definition of immature teenager. I've been there; in fact I'm not far from there at all. At 22, I have 7 years with my license under my belt, and I am still very wary of how I will drive my vehicle. I know I will be tempted to light up the tires, drift around corners, etc. But I realize you're not as invincible as you think you are at 16.

Don't take offense to the "immature" comment either, and try to prove me wrong or something. I was immature, I still am in many cases. I've done many stupid things as a teen, and I continue to do them often. If you have to question if you're experienced enough, you're probably not. And the $10k/yr insurance is going to be a bit hard to swallow as well...
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #69
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek

Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Why not pick up something a little bit more reasonable, and invest the rest of the money into your college education if you plan on going to college, or hell, put it into a CD a few times, let it collect some interest, and when you graduate college get yourself a fully loaded 2SS, or hell, maybe even a 'vette or something.

I have a fourth gen with the V6, and as a college student there are PLENTY of times when it SUCKS having a Camaro. You wouldn't believe how many times I've had someone almost puke in my car, have some idiot in a Civic cut me off, etc. because I wouldn't race them.

Think about it like this: get yourself a used Malibu or something, enjoy a more comfortable car with better gas mileage, and if anything happens, it's whatever. Hell, pick up a fourth gen even. Then, in a couple of years, go get whatever the hell you want.

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #70
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
And one thing to remember, many of the members that are advising caution are less than 25.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #71
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek

Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
And one thing to remember, many of the members that are advising caution are less than 25.
I'm almost 20, and I can't remember how many stupid things I did when I was 16, and completely sure of how much better a driver I was than the rest of the world, and I'm sure in five years I'll be saying the same thing about myself as a 20 year old.

Everyone does stupid things. Maturity is knowing when to do stupid things. The open road is not the place to drive like a DB. If you want to drift, race, etc, put it on a track.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/712080317

The driver of that pickup truck was found to be drag racing and is currently in prison.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/806030326

That's what happens when you do stupid crap on the open road.

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #72
Mattsack789

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Yeah, this is not a good idea for sixteen year old, and for a first car! Yeah right, there is no way you can convince your parents to get you one. I would wait until after college when you have a responsible job and can definitely afford it.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #73
Mattsack789

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I'm almost 20, and I can't remember how many stupid things I did when I was 16, and completely sure of how much better a driver I was than the rest of the world, and I'm sure in five years I'll be saying the same thing about myself as a 20 year old.

Everyone does stupid things. Maturity is knowing when to do stupid things. The open road is not the place to drive like a DB. If you want to drift, race, etc, put it on a track.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/712080317

The driver of that pickup truck was found to be drag racing and is currently in prison.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/806030326

That's what happens when you do stupid crap on the open road.
Nice post!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #74
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
No, you're not experienced at all. Just because you can drift and not hit anything doesn't make you experienced.

I've been driving for two years and I still don't consider myself that experienced.

Get a Cobalt or something. You don't need 400 HP, you don't even need 304. I appreciate the fact that you want one, but you're going to want to wait a few years before getting one.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #75
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
If you absolutely need a camaro buy a 2lt and wait until your 18/19

Tags
2ss, camaro, car, fast