Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
Don57
Onyxia's Keeper

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
How to disable OnStar?

Now that OnStar is planning on selling information on your personal driving habits even if you are no longer paying for their service, does anyone know how to disable the OnStar system in the Camaro entirely? Is there maybe just a dedicated fuse for it that can be pulled?

For shame, OnStar.

More information: http://www.onstar.com/tunnel-web/web...t-2011-USE.pdf

Important points from the above link:

Quote:
* We have added more detailed information about the information we collect about you and about your Vehicle, including how we collect your information, what we do with it and how we share it. For example, unless the Data Connection in your Vehicle is deactivated, information about your Vehicle may continue to be collected even if you do not have a Plan.

* In addition to other purposes set out in the prior version of the Privacy Statement, we may use the information we collect about you and your Vehicle to improve the quality of our Service and offerings and may share the information we collect with law enforcement or other public safety officials, credit card processors and/or third parties we contract with who conduct joint marketing initiatives with OnStar.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
TonyNo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT, IBM
Looks like F14 in the dash fuse panel.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
Blue10CamaroSS
L99 V8 400 HP 6.2L

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
call them up and tell them you do not want them to collect your data

Unless the Data Connection to your Vehicle is deactivated, data about
your Vehicle will continue to be collected even if you do not have a
Plan. It is important that you convey this to other drivers, occupants,
or subsequent owners of your Vehicle. You may deactivate the Data
Connection to your Vehicle at any time by contacting an OnStar
Advisor.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
Don57
Onyxia's Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue10CamaroSS View Post
call them up and tell them you do not want them to collect your data
I trust a broken circuit to disable an electronic device more than I trust a corporation to keep its word.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Don57
Onyxia's Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
Looks like F14 in the dash fuse panel.
Do you know if that fuse affects OnStar only and not anything else like the satellite radio or bluetooth?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Remove the Onstar module from behind the glove box

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51929
Old 09-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Can't say I'm surprised. I seriously considered the Mustang because i didn't want Onstar!
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Wrap your camaro in aluminum foil.
NightOwl RGB Halos, Kooks 1-7/8 LT Headers, Catless Midpipes, Borla ATAK Catback, 35% Tint, Vinyl Gill Blackouts, RX Catch Can, Skip Shift Eliminator, Devil Tail Side Stripes, Front Lip Blackout, Dual Color Bowties, Ghosted Sidemarkers,
Exhaust Video (Manifolds) Exhaust Video (Headers) White Lightning
A.C.E.5.
420 RWHP/422 RWTQ
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
I just did my head liner.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 Jack-O-Lantern

UPSTATE C5 MEMBER
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I know that Onstar likely does provide info to your insurance company without your knowledge. Maybe paid for, maybe free, I dunno. I just got a check in the mail from my insurance company. It said for "rating information received" so when I called them, they said it's for a low-mileage discount rebate because of the little amount the car gets driven. How would they know that unless someone told them? Onstar is the only other entity that knows the mileage on the car. I only gave the insurance company the miles on the car when I purchased the premium in the first place. Not since. Nobody else knows how many miles the car gets driven in a year but me and the star. Well, and now my insurance company.

Pic of what was attached to the check below. Obviously some things are covered for my privacy, but the star probably knows all that anyway.

Some may think "cool, onstar saved you money" but I'm a bit concerned over the fact that I didn't tell them. I could see this going a different direction as well. I'm not thinking the sky is falling, but I'd rather it be an opt-in situation vs. opt-out.

I lean libertarian. If you don't and think that onstar is all about helping you without interfering one bit in your personal life, then you probably don't or can't understand the concern. Which is probably why I don't understand your lack of concern.

*pulls out the tin-foil to make a new hat* <-- just in case.
Attached Images

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
Don57
Onyxia's Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Remove the Onstar module from behind the glove box

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51929
Hmmm... This, too, makes it sound like the Bluetooth capabilities of the car are linked to the OnStar module. I use the Bluetooth functionality in my car for hands-free calling with my BlackBerry and would not want to lose the ability to do that.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don57 View Post
Hmmm... This, too, makes it sound like the Bluetooth capabilities of the car are linked to the OnStar module. I use the Bluetooth functionality in my car for hands-free calling with my BlackBerry and would not want to lose the ability to do that.
Bluetooth is part of Onstar, if you pull the onstar box you lose BT. You might be able to just disconnect the antenna, though, but if you love BT and hate Onstar, your bets bet is costar/bluestar.

I love how everybody always defends Onstar on here and think that those that have a problem with it are tin foil hat nutjobs. I don't want to hear any of you complain when your warranty is denied because Onstar noticed you accidentally overreved your engine, or you insurance goes up because you drove 1000 miles more than you said you would, or you have to pay a road tax because you drove x amount of miles on your local roads, etc.

The problem you all don't understand is that its a slippery slope, and the further the sled goes down the slope, the more momentum it builds up and the more difficult to stop. Sure, maybe right now they aren't going to give your information to the cops for an automatic speeding ticket because they know your car did 90 in a 65, however, give it a few years as they keep sharing more and more info. They'll keep sending out new privacy notices as you get used to it little by little, by the time you wake up, its too late.
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
Quote:
that's silly, just the shark fin on top is all you need.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Quote:
They were all sold out of foil in my area Quess theres a lot of Camaro's around here
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #16
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrenthus View Post
Bluetooth is part of Onstar, if you pull the onstar box you lose BT. You might be able to just disconnect the antenna, though, but if you love BT and hate Onstar, your bets bet is costar/bluestar.

I love how everybody always defends Onstar on here and think that those that have a problem with it are tin foil hat nutjobs. I don't want to hear any of you complain when your warranty is denied because Onstar noticed you accidentally overreved your engine, or you insurance goes up because you drove 1000 miles more than you said you would, or you have to pay a road tax because you drove x amount of miles on your local roads, etc.

The problem you all don't understand is that its a slippery slope, and the further the sled goes down the slope, the more momentum it builds up and the more difficult to stop. Sure, maybe right now they aren't going to give your information to the cops for an automatic speeding ticket because they know your car did 90 in a 65, however, give it a few years as they keep sharing more and more info. They'll keep sending out new privacy notices as you get used to it little by little, by the time you wake up, its too late.
Exactly.

This is why I don't understand the people who are not concerned with this.

None of the people they want to "share" this data with are people I want to know where I am 24/7

Why would I want the police to have easy access to tracking data on me and other Americans who aren't doing anything wrong. To get that same data from a cell phone company or your ISP they have to get a warrant and some kind of proof or suspicion that you are doing something illegal. Not so much with car tracking. The courts have already ruled that cops can stick a gps tracker on your car, without telling you, without a warrant and for whatever reason they want. But we all trust the police, they would never abuse power or do anything wrong.

Why would I want my insurance company knowing how fast I drive. This is the dumbest shit ever. When has any insurance company ever not tried to screw you. Screwing people is literally apart of their business plan. sure some people will get a safe driver discount or whatever, but the main purpose of obtaining that data is to deny claims and screw people over.

I don't need credit card companies knowing where I am either. They already know where I buy shit from if I have their card. What do you need extra info for.

And it's funny to me the people who defend anything onstar, GM, chevy. You would think they had stock in the companies. These companies don't give a shit about you. Don't misplace the love you have for your car onto the company who built it. The left hand can't control what the right hand does.
I'm sure there are many people at GM, chevy ect who absolutely love cars. The designers and engineers are the people I love. They aren't the ones trying to screw you. It's the higher up corporate folks who could care less about you or your camaro the second you sign for it.

People need to wake up and take a stand for there rights before they are all gone. This is a very slippery slope indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow try to spin this off as a way to fight a so called war on drugs and terrorism. Just mention those two things and people give up there rights without blinking.

Not to long a go the gov and the Internet had it's panties all in a bunch with apple and others over the use of tracking data stored on your phone and no where else. The data wasn't being sent to apple, it was a cache so when you needed gps it could get a quicker fix. Nothing malicious was taking place nor intended and this was proven later. But some how it's ok for a car company to track you without your concent and use the data how they see fit.
Give me a break.

Tom Tom was also catching heat for the exact same thing when they were doing exactly what GM intends to do. They were selling location data and the local gov bought it and used the data to place speed traps and cameras.
Tom Tom apologized and admitted they had no idea who the company that bought the data was or what their intentions were on using the data.
How many of you really think GM has some kind of policy or security around who buys the data and what for and are actively trying to make sure their customers don't become targets for someone else's gain.

And to make matters worse your not even their customer anymore. You don't benefit from any of this in any way. So they want to make money off you, like you are a cheap hooker and GM is the pimp.
They should be required to give people who are no longer subscribers who they want to track the free safe&sound service for the pleasure of tracking you and making money off of you.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #17
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Also, there are two bluetooth chips in the car. The one tied to onstar is only for voice hands free. The other one is apart of the pdim so you can still play music wirelessly.
I don't like talking while I'm driving anyway so I won't miss a thing.

I tried looking for some instructions on removing onstar. But I'm getting mixed results as to the location of the device. Some say it's in the trunk, some say it's behind the glove box, and some say it's in the dash behind the head unit. And others say to just pull a fuse, which I dont really trust all that much.
The only thing that really needs to be disabled is the cellular radio as this is the only way to send data anywhere. The gps chips are not two way devices.

I'm sure some more solid info will pop up on how to turn this off.

GM should be forced to pay for anyone wanting the device removed by the dealer.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #18
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
Your Dealer can remove OnStar from your vehicle.
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
Exactly.

This is why I don't understand the people who are not concerned with this.

None of the people they want to "share" this data with are people I want to know where I am 24/7

Why would I want the police to have easy access to tracking data on me and other Americans who aren't doing anything wrong. To get that same data from a cell phone company or your ISP they have to get a warrant and some kind of proof or suspicion that you are doing something illegal. Not so much with car tracking. The courts have already ruled that cops can stick a gps tracker on your car, without telling you, without a warrant and for whatever reason they want. But we all trust the police, they would never abuse power or do anything wrong.

Why would I want my insurance company knowing how fast I drive. This is the dumbest shit ever. When has any insurance company ever not tried to screw you. Screwing people is literally apart of their business plan. sure some people will get a safe driver discount or whatever, but the main purpose of obtaining that data is to deny claims and screw people over.

I don't need credit card companies knowing where I am either. They already know where I buy shit from if I have their card. What do you need extra info for.

And it's funny to me the people who defend anything onstar, GM, chevy. You would think they had stock in the companies. These companies don't give a shit about you. Don't misplace the love you have for your car onto the company who built it. The left hand can't control what the right hand does.
I'm sure there are many people at GM, chevy ect who absolutely love cars. The designers and engineers are the people I love. They aren't the ones trying to screw you. It's the higher up corporate folks who could care less about you or your camaro the second you sign for it.

People need to wake up and take a stand for there rights before they are all gone. This is a very slippery slope indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow try to spin this off as a way to fight a so called war on drugs and terrorism. Just mention those two things and people give up there rights without blinking.

Not to long a go the gov and the Internet had it's panties all in a bunch with apple and others over the use of tracking data stored on your phone and no where else. The data wasn't being sent to apple, it was a cache so when you needed gps it could get a quicker fix. Nothing malicious was taking place nor intended and this was proven later. But some how it's ok for a car company to track you without your concent and use the data how they see fit.
Give me a break.

Tom Tom was also catching heat for the exact same thing when they were doing exactly what GM intends to do. They were selling location data and the local gov bought it and used the data to place speed traps and cameras.
Tom Tom apologized and admitted they had no idea who the company that bought the data was or what their intentions were on using the data.
How many of you really think GM has some kind of policy or security around who buys the data and what for and are actively trying to make sure their customers don't become targets for someone else's gain.

And to make matters worse your not even their customer anymore. You don't benefit from any of this in any way. So they want to make money off you, like you are a cheap hooker and GM is the pimp.
They should be required to give people who are no longer subscribers who they want to track the free safe&sound service for the pleasure of tracking you and making money off of you.
You do realize they sent out this email about their policies to every customer right? You act like they are hiding it from you. They blatantly said if you don't like it, ask for us to turn it off or have your dealer take it out.

Im not defending them. I'll be getting rid of mine but I don't see the need to freak out on camaro5 about it. While your at it. Turn off your internet because they know what your typing and what your favorite type of porn is too.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #20
Don57
Onyxia's Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBear@SpartaChevy View Post
Your Dealer can remove OnStar from your vehicle.
Do you know if they can do it without affecting Bluetooth functionality?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #21
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
To disable OnStar for sure, wouldn't unplugging the connector at the shark fin do the job?

There are two connectors there, one for XM and the other for OnStar.

Have to pull the headliner down from the rear to get to them but could always reconnect when selling the car if the next person wants it.

Just a thought.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #22
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don57 View Post
Do you know if they can do it without affecting Bluetooth functionality?
I really have no idea.

I walked out back to talk to service and neither of the guys I wanted to talk to were available.

I'll try and get back out there when I have a few minutes.

Edited to add: There is a lengthy thread here that you may find more information in: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171384
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #23
Zach@ExtremePerformance

Drives: not a Camaro :(
el ess X - do you have to give the vehicle's mileage to the DMV when you renew your tag annually? If so, then your insurance co more than likely got that info from them, rather than GM.
Zach@ExtremePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #24
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach@ExtremePerformance View Post
el ess X - do you have to give the vehicle's mileage to the DMV when you renew your tag annually? If so, then your insurance co more than likely got that info from them, rather than GM.
Not only that but when you start your insurance usually they ask you "how many miles do you drive?" If he says 5,000 for example. Its a possibility that they decided "hey, lets start an incentive to give 2 canadian dollars back to everyone that says they only drive 5,000 miles a year, that may make our low mileage customers stay loyal"
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #25
GEN-IV
HEMI Hunter

Drives: 06 GTO / 79 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
GM should be forced to pay for anyone wanting the device removed by the dealer.
Exactly! If they change the TOS, they have changed the contract that I previously agreed to, they should remove it at THEIR expense. What is wrong with GM? They are going back down the road to insolvency if they continue to treat their customers like dog crap!

Last edited by GEN-IV; 09-21-2011 at 06:41 PM.
GEN-IV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onstar