Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 09-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
GM is giving me a new engine

2010 Camaro SS with 17,000 miles

Sorry about the long post, but these are some of the notes I took along the way minus some names. *GM so far has been great in all of this especially the GM rep who coincidentally used to own a 2010 camaro and was on Camaro5. * GM has *promised to get my car back to the way it was when I brought it in. *But, the dealership, Mike Anderson in Logansport, Indiana, that's another story. *Throughout the fiasco, I was always polite to all three service writers and the mechanic, John, which is unusual for me especially under the circumstances.*

9-6-11 – took car in to have lifters replaced, resonator replaced, oil cooler replaced (gasket previously replaced by same dealership) and axle fluid changed
9-9-11 – Had to wait to pick up at dealership because they forgot to cut off the exhaust for installation with GFX and exhaust was sticking out past the rear diffuser. *Also, exhaust still making a horrible noise and told dealership it wasn’t right and that the exhaust tips were uneven and they told me this was all normal. *Also, mechanic forgot to tighten the chrome heat shield on the GFX. Discovered the lifters making a loud ticking noise much louder than the first time we brought in for repair according to TSB. *Service manager kept trying to tell me it was normal even though it sounded like a tractor running. *Drove the car home. * We discovered they put the wrong oil in the car not Mobil 1 and decided to take it back. *While there my wife found the exhaust noise was coming from the exhaust tip on the driver's side touching the chrome bezel on the GFX despite the fact that I told The service manager that they were not installed evenly and they choose to ignore. * We left the car there. *They changed the lifters for the second time and fixed the exhaust.
9-16-11 – car released by service manager and was picked up and the engine still ticks loudly after second replacement of lifters especially when warm. *Also, mileage when dropped off was 16977 and when picked up was 17046. *They tried to tell me they only drove it 9 miles, but that doesn’t account for the mileage missing and the gas tank was bone dry and was not when I left it.
Scheduled for repair of bell housing gasket on Monday 9-19 for a leak that was not there initially.*
9-17-11 – Discovered metal shavings on dipstick and was returning for an oil change and the car smoked something awful. *Brought car back to dealer at opening on Saturday morning, sat there for about 45 minutes and leaked ½ quart of oil. *Oil was dripping off resonator and was all over the underside and somehow even up in the engine bay. *Mechanic said he told the service manager, three times not to let the car go out but he choose to ignore. *Mechanic looked at dipstick with white rag and could see black residue wipe off onto the rag. *Told them to save old oil. *Called Mike Anderson’s to talk to the owner and they gave me Greg Deterly, dealership manager, who hung up on me because he could hear I was not pleased with the way things were going. *I did not raise my voice, curse or say anything that would warrant him hanging up on me, he just didn't want to deal with it or was having a bad day. * * * **
9-19-11 – Mechanic, replaced rear main seal gasket. *Talked to GM customer service again and she said she would check into getting new engine.
9-19-11 – Service manager called and said the oil leak was not fixed by replacing rear main seal and that the only thing left was to replace the pan gasket which they will do Wednesday, but they said they couldn’t tell where the leak was coming from. *Service manager said he told GM about this, But GM said on Tuesday that she was not informed.*
9-20-11 – Spoke with District Rep for GM and he had come down from Michigan looked at my car and was trying to get it to another dealer and make it right.*
9-21-11 – Picked up Camaro from Mike Anderson’s and drove it up to Warsaw to Lakeside Chevrolet. *On the way up the district rep called and said they ordered me a new engine. *Dropped the car off in Warsaw and leaked a puddle of oil the size of a grapefruit in the 5 or 6 minutes that I talked to the service writer. *As I was driving the rental car back home, the GM rep called and said he just received a call from Lakeside who said there are dents in the top of my fenders that looks like they were done while someone was working on it. *Told the GM rep that my Roto-fab CAI was also dented sometime while at Mike Andersons.*Also, on the way up to Warsaw, we noticed the subwoofer in the trunk no longer works which of course it did before we brought it to them.*
I will update the progress of the new motor install and repairs. *I don't expect too many responses, I just had to vent about the disaster that Mike Anderson Chevrolet has made of my dream car. *Again, GM has handled this in a very quick and professional way. *The GM rep agreed to replace my engine not necessarily because it warranted it, but because of the surrounding extenuating circumstances and to ensure customer satisfaction. *
Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Wow you've had a pretty busy month. Sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully it all works out.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Jcobra

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs M6
Note to self, stay away from MIKE ANDERSON CHEVROLET.
Jcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
coolman

That's great that GM is stepping up to the plate on this one. Its a shame that people sell cars and know nothing about cars after that. They should have their dealership pulled if this is the kind of work they do.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Glad to hear you're finally being taken care of. I hope steps were taken to ensure you don't have Anderson Chevrolet replace the engine?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
I swear it's like some of these dealers are on pins and needles hoping people don't bring their cars in for major repairs because they don't know how to fix them. Then, they give you the run around to cover up their incompetence.
Everytime I read one of these stories, I am SO thankful for my dealer, Dugan Chevrolet in Avon, Indiana.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Glad to hear you're finally being taken care of. I hope steps were taken to ensure you don't have Anderson Chevrolet replace the engine?
Yes, the GM rep recommended I take it to Lakeside Chevrolet in Warsaw, IN which is where my car is awaiting the transplant.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Sucks. Hopefully they will fix it up soon.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
96/10SS

Drives: 2010 2SS Orange w/ Grey stripes
Dang man! thats crazy and terrible, I'm glad to hear Chevy is stepping in. Make sure those other problems are fixed also!
96/10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #10
alybudhwani

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Aqua Metallic Blue
man, that sucks! glad to hear theyre making it right!

check out my build
seriously though...
alybudhwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #11
tikster

Drives: 2005 GTO
glad they're are working with ya to make it right!!
tikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #12
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
most people probably wont buy another camaro or even another chevy if something like this happen to them.

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:27 AM   #13
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Wow, crazy story. Thank goodness GM is helping you out on this one.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
most people probably wont buy another camaro or even another chevy if something like this happen to them.

Even though the initial problems are due to bad parts or design on GM's part, They acknowledged these and released TSB's paid for by them to make it right so this is a problem with the dealership. So, I will be buying another Chevy, in fact, the way thev've handled this only makes it more likely I'll be buying another Chevy, it just won't be going any where near Logansport!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #15
Nvincent4708
Former 2011 LSX/SS Owner

Drives: '94 Z28 / LSX Swapped
Chevy is doing the right thing here.

It's the Dealership that's fubarring things.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
Stay away from that dealership, not GM Chevrolet.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #17
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I hope that it gets resolved for you. My car is still at the dealer getting God know what replaced, so I hope I don't go through what you are going through.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #18
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by first one View Post
Even though the initial problems are due to bad parts or design on GM's part, They acknowledged these and released TSB's paid for by them to make it right so this is a problem with the dealership. So, I will be buying another Chevy, in fact, the way thev've handled this only makes it more likely I'll be buying another Chevy, it just won't be going any where near Logansport!
ya i completely understand, but a lot of people if they were having this many problems even if its all covered under warranty and all free. some would be kind of annoyed. i know i would.

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 pending order
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #19
CoyoteRiverRacing

Drives: 2010 Pace Car
First, does your car have the L99 or the LS3?

TIA
CoyoteRiverRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteRiverRacing View Post
First, does your car have the L99 or the LS3?

TIA
It has the L99 with AFM which has the TSB on the lifters.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #21
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
The fact that the dealership dented your fenders and Roto-fab intake tells me the techs have no clue or respect for the customers.

Thats amazing to hear.No wonder they could not fix anything correctly the first time.
They were probably doing the work as fast as they could because the service manager was pissed that they were going over the allowed warranty repairs hours

The tools were flying and stuff got jacked up.

Great attitude on your part....I would have lost it
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #22
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
jeez what a screw up stealership.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #23
cslee0811

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Terrible.... terrible.... just terrible... kudos to u for keeping ur cool
cslee0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #24
Michael#1

Drives: Black 2010 SS/RS
got my 2010 SS/RS from Mike Anderson also...however im from fort wayne so i take mine to Summit City Chevrolet, which in my opinion is the best Chevy Dealership in Indiana...their service department is great and they will always make things right to satisfy the customer
Michael#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #25
dHud

Drives: Black 2011 2SS
How did you know what kind of oil they put in it?
dHud is offline   Reply With Quote