Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

4th Generation Camaros 1993-2002

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
MustangKillr
 
MustangKillr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Z28 Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Smyrna, TN
Posts: 140
Oil change

Hey I'm going to be making to be changing my oil this week and I was wondering what would be the best performance oil for my Z28? I've just been using a generic oil for as long as I can remember, but I want to start using some performance oil, and I've been hearing that I should use Mobil1. Just wanted to see what you guys think. Thanks a bunch = D.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 AM   #2
Vash


 
Drives: 00 Blazer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,128
In my opinion Royal Purple is the best. Use it with a Mobil 1 oil filter.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
robby
 
Drives: 02 B4C 6M
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 69
You will recieve endless opinions to your question.
I use Mobil 1
It was the factory fill on my B4C and is still the factory fill for new Vettes.
Filter opinions abound as well and I stay with AC.

Rob
robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!
 
JJ#48Racing's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Valdosta, GA
Posts: 1,116
I always use Mobile 1 with a Mobile 1 filter.
__________________
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
TFord
Camaro Fanatic
 
TFord's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,812
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Cream of the crop is AMSOIL/Royal Purple....Mobile 1 is good, but dosen't look as good based on oil analysis...Id recommend doing a little research.
__________________
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Moose
Moderator
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Newtown, Pa.
Posts: 4,015
I switched to Mobil 1 at the first oil change (500 mi) and have been using it ever since.

I also changed the fluid in the diff. to synthetic.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Suskam
 
Suskam's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Camaro/ '02 Grand Prix
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 639
Amsoil is the best.
__________________
Suskam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Vash


 
Drives: 00 Blazer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,128
The Purp 4 the win.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
4thGenZ14X2
 
4thGenZ14X2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 LPM Z28
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 25
What he said...


Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ#48Racing View Post
I always use Mobile 1 with a Mobile 1 filter.
__________________
Heads/Cam/Stall/Fully Bolted.
4thGenZ14X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!
 
JJ#48Racing's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Valdosta, GA
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I also changed the fluid in the diff. to synthetic.
Depending on the type of diff it is, using sythetic may not be best. I think it's ok for torsen diff's like your '99 SS has (assuming it's stock), but a clutch type diff generally prefers regular oil as sythetic can be too slippery for it to operate correctly.
__________________
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,861
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
first off, if you are converting from dino oil to full synthetic. you should seafoam your motor first to get out as much grime that could be stuck in there as you can.

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/how-to...arbon-buildup/


my personal recommendations for oil are Royal Purple. for filters, Wix, Purolator PureOne. M1 filters are great as well, but are about twice the price as the Wix/PureOne.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:52 AM   #12
MustangKillr
 
MustangKillr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Z28 Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Smyrna, TN
Posts: 140
Well considering that my grandpa owned the car since 2001 and he never really cared about performance, it was more of just a daily work car to him, he always used generic Valvoline oil with a Valvoline oil filter. From what I've seen Royal Purple sounds like the way to go for the oil, but what about the filter? Any definite top brands? Also from what I've been reading about seafoaming it sounds like it would be a good thing to do regardless just to clean out everything, especially since I don't think it's ever been done before = /.

EDIT: Another thing that I wanted to ask was: is it ok to rely on the Change Oil or Low Oil lights on my cluster to know when to change or add the oil? Also a mechanic told me that my main oil seal is cracked = (, how would I go about repairing that? Sorry that I threw so many questions at you guys, hopefully someone will have the patience to answer them all = D.

Last edited by MustangKillr; 04-03-2009 at 12:19 PM.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:00 AM   #13
TopFuelTim
 
Drives: 2002
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 22
Sounds like a pretty cool grandpa to me. Mine liked the old Chrysler 300s.

Tim Glover
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
MustangKillr
 
MustangKillr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Z28 Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Smyrna, TN
Posts: 140
Alright everyone I changed my oil yesterday. 5.5 quarts of Royal Purple and a Purolator PureONE oil filter = D.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #15
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,861
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKillr View Post
Alright everyone I changed my oil yesterday. 5.5 quarts of Royal Purple and a Purolator PureONE oil filter = D.
sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKillr View Post
EDIT: Another thing that I wanted to ask was: is it ok to rely on the Change Oil or Low Oil lights on my cluster to know when to change or add the oil? Also a mechanic told me that my main oil seal is cracked = (, how would I go about repairing that? Sorry that I threw so many questions at you guys, hopefully someone will have the patience to answer them all = D.
you can rely on the change light. the low oil light however has been known to be faulty at times. just check your oil level once a week or two


the rear main seal goes out on these cars as well. you have to pull the transmission to replace it. its a pain.

here's a pic of the LT1 rear main seal to give you an idea.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #16
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKillr View Post
Well considering that my grandpa owned the car since 2001 and he never really cared about performance, it was more of just a daily work car to him, he always used generic Valvoline oil with a Valvoline oil filter. From what I've seen Royal Purple sounds like the way to go for the oil, but what about the filter? Any definite top brands? Also from what I've been reading about seafoaming it sounds like it would be a good thing to do regardless just to clean out everything, especially since I don't think it's ever been done before = /.

EDIT: Another thing that I wanted to ask was: is it ok to rely on the Change Oil or Low Oil lights on my cluster to know when to change or add the oil? Also a mechanic told me that my main oil seal is cracked = (, how would I go about repairing that? Sorry that I threw so many questions at you guys, hopefully someone will have the patience to answer them all = D.
I use pennzoil platinum 5w30 year round with a kn oil filter. Used to use mobil 1 but my engine burns it pretty quickly. I used quaker state too and it was ok, but burned. Pennzoil Platinum burns the slowest for me I guess the harder you drive it the faster the oil will burn.

I've heard mostly bad about Royal Purple. I'll never use it.

My kn oil and air filter both work fine.

I half way use my oil change light. If I'm driving it pretty easy I'll go ahead and use it. If I'm driving it pretty hard I'll change it at about 3000-4000miles.

Low oil light... I definitely pay attention if it pops on lol, but I get bored and check my oil often in the garage. I get to be a quart low pretty often and I just add more to it. I have no leaks by the way.

Rear main seal is one of the few things I CANNOT do(yet). I do have full boltons and installed every one of them, including some suspension.

If you want help seafoaming, send me a pm. I live in La Vergne and I've done it before. Just get 3 things. MAF cleaner, Seafoam deep creep, and regular Seafoam. Its fun to smoke up the whole neighborhood. How many miles are on it?
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #17
MustangKillr
 
MustangKillr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Z28 Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Smyrna, TN
Posts: 140
Ah I see, that sounds like a massive pain to deal with. Sounds like I'll have to pay a mechanic to deal with it = /. Really? What have you heard bad about Royal Purple? Really, wow you live like 5-10 miles away from me lol. It has 136,xxx on it right now, and I'm waiting on it an even amount of miles so I can regulate maintenance on it. As soon as it hits 140,000 miles I'll hit you up and you can help me out with it = D.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:46 AM   #18
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
smyrna and lavergne are practically touching eachother. I bet you stay like 10min away from me. I've never seen your car around though. There's a pewter convertible Z28 in my neighborhood and a few vettes, but I've never seen one like yours. I don't really ride around, around here much... I just go to school and come home and study and read car stuff a lot lol.

btw, I've dealt with a lot of "shops," and when I can't do something my self I take it to the stealership. Team Chevrolet has been doing my tranny work. They put my clutch and slave cylinder in. Its not so much that I cannot do it, but I dont have a transmission jack to hold mine up when I disconnect it.

Yea, I've got a pretty good collection of tools so I can do quite a bit.

Your's is an '02 like mine so I already know your car

RP does a poor job of being a good oil lol Been a while since I looked at it, but I know I'll never touch it. You don't have anything to worry about, but I do NOT suggest you keep using it. That Pennzoil Platinum I was talking about is one of the best oils. There's always like 3 that keep getting a good reputation, but only one of them is easily attainable and that's the Pennzoil. You can get a 5qrt jug at walmart for like $23.

Yea holler at me one weekend and we'll kill some birds with your car's smoke.

If your car hasn't ever had a seafoam or similar treatment, then its going to smoke like crazy. Also, it'll run WAY better when we're done. You changed the spark plugs yet?
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #19
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,861
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
RP does a poor job of being a good oil lol Been a while since I looked at it, but I know I'll never touch it. You don't have anything to worry about, but I do NOT suggest you keep using it. That Pennzoil Platinum I was talking about is one of the best oils. There's always like 3 that keep getting a good reputation, but only one of them is easily attainable and that's the Pennzoil. You can get a 5qrt jug at walmart for like $23.
got any facts to back that up? what is your scientific explanation of "good oil"

jw.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #20
zebra
just can't seem to leave
 
zebra's Avatar
 
Drives: your mom wild!!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cold & windy
Posts: 11,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
first off, if you are converting from dino oil to full synthetic. you should seafoam your motor first to get out as much grime that could be stuck in there as you can.

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/how-to...arbon-buildup/


my personal recommendations for oil are Royal Purple. for filters, Wix, Purolator PureOne. M1 filters are great as well, but are about twice the price as the Wix/PureOne.
yeah... i'm planning on SeaFoaming the truck @ 150k (i'm at 146 & change now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
smyrna and lavergne are practically touching eachother. I bet you stay like 10min away from me. I've never seen your car around though. There's a pewter convertible Z28 in my neighborhood and a few vettes, but I've never seen one like yours. I don't really ride around, around here much... I just go to school and come home and study and read car stuff a lot lol.

btw, I've dealt with a lot of "shops," and when I can't do something my self I take it to the stealership. Team Chevrolet has been doing my tranny work. They put my clutch and slave cylinder in. Its not so much that I cannot do it, but I dont have a transmission jack to hold mine up when I disconnect it.

Yea, I've got a pretty good collection of tools so I can do quite a bit.

Your's is an '02 like mine so I already know your car

RP does a poor job of being a good oil lol Been a while since I looked at it, but I know I'll never touch it. You don't have anything to worry about, but I do NOT suggest you keep using it. That Pennzoil Platinum I was talking about is one of the best oils. There's always like 3 that keep getting a good reputation, but only one of them is easily attainable and that's the Pennzoil. You can get a 5qrt jug at walmart for like $23.

Yea holler at me one weekend and we'll kill some birds with your car's smoke.

If your car hasn't ever had a seafoam or similar treatment, then its going to smoke like crazy. Also, it'll run WAY better when we're done. You changed the spark plugs yet?
when y'all are in the 'boro, give me a holler! i live right across from campus
__________________
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #21
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
got any facts to back that up? what is your scientific explanation of "good oil"

jw.
I read a lot. On ls1.com and ls1tech there's always an oil guy who know's too damn much. They come up with the most dumb intelligent shit on the oils and they've got me brainwashed into thinking one is better than the other. You'll have to look it all up. Just register on one of those sites and do a search on the oils. Sarge on ls1.com know's a lot and I don't remember who on ls1tech, but someone there knows.

I research before I do most of time time. The oil guys use oil then send it to an oil lab off out yonder, and they send results back on how much silicon and all this other stuff is in your oil. They tell you how much metal is in your oil and damn near what engine part it came from.

I am however smart enough to skip to the end and see what the best oils are

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
when y'all are in the 'boro, give me a holler! i live right across from campus
cool
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #22
fireplug
 
Drives: 07 Tundra
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kingman, Az.
Posts: 81
Just about anything but Pennzoil and Fram oil filters---ever rebuild a motor after it's been running Pennzoil? Yikes
fireplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #23
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
You will recieve endless opinions to your question.
I use Mobil 1
It was the factory fill on my B4C and is still the factory fill for new Vettes.
Filter opinions abound as well and I stay with AC.

Rob
The factory intake, exhaust, tires, cam, and heads are all factory on the vettes too, but there are better parts out there in every category. Have an open mind Do a little research like I've done.

I remember reading somewhere that mobil 1 pays gm and other companies to say mobil 1 recommended. Same with quaker state and ferrari.

Its hardly because those oils are the best.
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #24
7CAMARO7
 
7CAMARO7's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow 4th gen
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: showing you tail lights
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireplug View Post
Just about anything but Pennzoil and Fram oil filters---ever rebuild a motor after it's been running Pennzoil? Yikes
pennz plat is has an outstanding rep, maybe just there regular stuff is crap. I think I've heard that before about their conventional too
__________________

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #25
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,861
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
I read a lot. On ls1.com and ls1tech there's always an oil guy who know's too damn much. They come up with the most dumb intelligent shit on the oils and they've got me brainwashed into thinking one is better than the other. You'll have to look it all up. Just register on one of those sites and do a search on the oils. Sarge on ls1.com know's a lot and I don't remember who on ls1tech, but someone there knows.

I research before I do most of time time. The oil guys use oil then send it to an oil lab off out yonder, and they send results back on how much silicon and all this other stuff is in your oil. They tell you how much metal is in your oil and damn near what engine part it came from.

I am however smart enough to skip to the end and see what the best oils are


I've read a lot of Sarge's posts on LS1.com. I'm also one of those guys who send my oil off for analysis as well. we have a big thread here that is a bit old, but it has a lot of good info about oils and filters. bout the only people I've ever heard saying RP was no good were Amsoil people.

I know my oils, I know my filters, along with a horde of other things. I just wanted to know whether you had a personal bad experience with RP or not.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How about a barrel of oil for around $16? Blownhotrodder General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 19 03-06-2009 07:25 PM
The 3,000 Mile Oil Change Myth KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 35 07-20-2008 09:02 PM
Major U.S. oil source is tapped KILLER74Z28 Off-topic Discussions 32 10-30-2007 09:47 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.