Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

4th Generation Camaros 1993-2002

Old 04-01-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
MustangKillr

Drives: 2002 Z28 Camaro
Oil change

Hey I'm going to be making to be changing my oil this week and I was wondering what would be the best performance oil for my Z28? I've just been using a generic oil for as long as I can remember, but I want to start using some performance oil, and I've been hearing that I should use Mobil1. Just wanted to see what you guys think. Thanks a bunch = D.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 AM   #2
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
In my opinion Royal Purple is the best. Use it with a Mobil 1 oil filter.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
robby

Drives: 02 B4C 6M
You will recieve endless opinions to your question.
I use Mobil 1
It was the factory fill on my B4C and is still the factory fill for new Vettes.
Filter opinions abound as well and I stay with AC.

Rob
robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
I always use Mobile 1 with a Mobile 1 filter.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Cream of the crop is AMSOIL/Royal Purple....Mobile 1 is good, but dosen't look as good based on oil analysis...Id recommend doing a little research.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I switched to Mobil 1 at the first oil change (500 mi) and have been using it ever since.

I also changed the fluid in the diff. to synthetic.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Suskam

Drives: '11 Camaro/ '02 Grand Prix
Amsoil is the best.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
The Purp 4 the win.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
4thGenZ14X2

Drives: 2000 LPM Z28
What he said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ#48Racing View Post
I always use Mobile 1 with a Mobile 1 filter.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I also changed the fluid in the diff. to synthetic.
Depending on the type of diff it is, using sythetic may not be best. I think it's ok for torsen diff's like your '99 SS has (assuming it's stock), but a clutch type diff generally prefers regular oil as sythetic can be too slippery for it to operate correctly.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
first off, if you are converting from dino oil to full synthetic. you should seafoam your motor first to get out as much grime that could be stuck in there as you can.

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/how-to...arbon-buildup/

my personal recommendations for oil are Royal Purple. for filters, Wix, Purolator PureOne. M1 filters are great as well, but are about twice the price as the Wix/PureOne.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:52 AM   #12
MustangKillr

Well considering that my grandpa owned the car since 2001 and he never really cared about performance, it was more of just a daily work car to him, he always used generic Valvoline oil with a Valvoline oil filter. From what I've seen Royal Purple sounds like the way to go for the oil, but what about the filter? Any definite top brands? Also from what I've been reading about seafoaming it sounds like it would be a good thing to do regardless just to clean out everything, especially since I don't think it's ever been done before = /.

EDIT: Another thing that I wanted to ask was: is it ok to rely on the Change Oil or Low Oil lights on my cluster to know when to change or add the oil? Also a mechanic told me that my main oil seal is cracked = (, how would I go about repairing that? Sorry that I threw so many questions at you guys, hopefully someone will have the patience to answer them all = D.

Last edited by MustangKillr; 04-03-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:00 AM   #13
TopFuelTim

Drives: 2002
Sounds like a pretty cool grandpa to me. Mine liked the old Chrysler 300s.

Tim Glover
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
MustangKillr

Alright everyone I changed my oil yesterday. 5.5 quarts of Royal Purple and a Purolator PureONE oil filter = D.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #15
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKillr View Post
Alright everyone I changed my oil yesterday. 5.5 quarts of Royal Purple and a Purolator PureONE oil filter = D.
sweet.

Quote:
EDIT: Another thing that I wanted to ask was: is it ok to rely on the Change Oil or Low Oil lights on my cluster to know when to change or add the oil? Also a mechanic told me that my main oil seal is cracked = (, how would I go about repairing that? Sorry that I threw so many questions at you guys, hopefully someone will have the patience to answer them all = D.
you can rely on the change light. the low oil light however has been known to be faulty at times. just check your oil level once a week or two

the rear main seal goes out on these cars as well. you have to pull the transmission to replace it. its a pain.

here's a pic of the LT1 rear main seal to give you an idea.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #16
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
Quote:
Well considering that my grandpa owned the car since 2001 and he never really cared about performance, it was more of just a daily work car to him, he always used generic Valvoline oil with a Valvoline oil filter. From what I've seen Royal Purple sounds like the way to go for the oil, but what about the filter? Any definite top brands? Also from what I've been reading about seafoaming it sounds like it would be a good thing to do regardless just to clean out everything, especially since I don't think it's ever been done before = /.

I use pennzoil platinum 5w30 year round with a kn oil filter. Used to use mobil 1 but my engine burns it pretty quickly. I used quaker state too and it was ok, but burned. Pennzoil Platinum burns the slowest for me I guess the harder you drive it the faster the oil will burn.

I've heard mostly bad about Royal Purple. I'll never use it.

My kn oil and air filter both work fine.

I half way use my oil change light. If I'm driving it pretty easy I'll go ahead and use it. If I'm driving it pretty hard I'll change it at about 3000-4000miles.

Low oil light... I definitely pay attention if it pops on lol, but I get bored and check my oil often in the garage. I get to be a quart low pretty often and I just add more to it. I have no leaks by the way.

Rear main seal is one of the few things I CANNOT do(yet). I do have full boltons and installed every one of them, including some suspension.

If you want help seafoaming, send me a pm. I live in La Vergne and I've done it before. Just get 3 things. MAF cleaner, Seafoam deep creep, and regular Seafoam. Its fun to smoke up the whole neighborhood. How many miles are on it?

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #17
MustangKillr

Ah I see, that sounds like a massive pain to deal with. Sounds like I'll have to pay a mechanic to deal with it = /. Really? What have you heard bad about Royal Purple? Really, wow you live like 5-10 miles away from me lol. It has 136,xxx on it right now, and I'm waiting on it an even amount of miles so I can regulate maintenance on it. As soon as it hits 140,000 miles I'll hit you up and you can help me out with it = D.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:46 AM   #18
7CAMARO7

smyrna and lavergne are practically touching eachother. I bet you stay like 10min away from me. I've never seen your car around though. There's a pewter convertible Z28 in my neighborhood and a few vettes, but I've never seen one like yours. I don't really ride around, around here much... I just go to school and come home and study and read car stuff a lot lol.

btw, I've dealt with a lot of "shops," and when I can't do something my self I take it to the stealership. Team Chevrolet has been doing my tranny work. They put my clutch and slave cylinder in. Its not so much that I cannot do it, but I dont have a transmission jack to hold mine up when I disconnect it.

Yea, I've got a pretty good collection of tools so I can do quite a bit.

Your's is an '02 like mine so I already know your car

RP does a poor job of being a good oil lol Been a while since I looked at it, but I know I'll never touch it. You don't have anything to worry about, but I do NOT suggest you keep using it. That Pennzoil Platinum I was talking about is one of the best oils. There's always like 3 that keep getting a good reputation, but only one of them is easily attainable and that's the Pennzoil. You can get a 5qrt jug at walmart for like $23.

Yea holler at me one weekend and we'll kill some birds with your car's smoke.

If your car hasn't ever had a seafoam or similar treatment, then its going to smoke like crazy. Also, it'll run WAY better when we're done. You changed the spark plugs yet?

Old 04-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #19
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CAMARO7 View Post
RP does a poor job of being a good oil lol Been a while since I looked at it, but I know I'll never touch it. You don't have anything to worry about, but I do NOT suggest you keep using it. That Pennzoil Platinum I was talking about is one of the best oils. There's always like 3 that keep getting a good reputation, but only one of them is easily attainable and that's the Pennzoil. You can get a 5qrt jug at walmart for like $23.
got any facts to back that up? what is your scientific explanation of "good oil"

jw.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #20
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
first off, if you are converting from dino oil to full synthetic. you should seafoam your motor first to get out as much grime that could be stuck in there as you can.

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/how-to...arbon-buildup/

my personal recommendations for oil are Royal Purple. for filters, Wix, Purolator PureOne. M1 filters are great as well, but are about twice the price as the Wix/PureOne.
yeah... i'm planning on SeaFoaming the truck @ 150k (i'm at 146 & change now)

Quote:
smyrna and lavergne are practically touching eachother. I bet you stay like 10min away from me. I've never seen your car around though. There's a pewter convertible Z28 in my neighborhood and a few vettes, but I've never seen one like yours. I don't really ride around, around here much... I just go to school and come home and study and read car stuff a lot lol.

btw, I've dealt with a lot of "shops," and when I can't do something my self I take it to the stealership. Team Chevrolet has been doing my tranny work. They put my clutch and slave cylinder in. Its not so much that I cannot do it, but I dont have a transmission jack to hold mine up when I disconnect it.

Yea, I've got a pretty good collection of tools so I can do quite a bit.

Your's is an '02 like mine so I already know your car

Yea holler at me one weekend and we'll kill some birds with your car's smoke.

If your car hasn't ever had a seafoam or similar treatment, then its going to smoke like crazy. Also, it'll run WAY better when we're done. You changed the spark plugs yet?
when y'all are in the 'boro, give me a holler! i live right across from campus
Old 04-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #21
7CAMARO7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
got any facts to back that up? what is your scientific explanation of "good oil"

jw.
I read a lot. On ls1.com and ls1tech there's always an oil guy who know's too damn much. They come up with the most dumb intelligent shit on the oils and they've got me brainwashed into thinking one is better than the other. You'll have to look it all up. Just register on one of those sites and do a search on the oils. Sarge on ls1.com know's a lot and I don't remember who on ls1tech, but someone there knows.

I research before I do most of time time. The oil guys use oil then send it to an oil lab off out yonder, and they send results back on how much silicon and all this other stuff is in your oil. They tell you how much metal is in your oil and damn near what engine part it came from.

I am however smart enough to skip to the end and see what the best oils are

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
when y'all are in the 'boro, give me a holler! i live right across from campus
cool

Old 04-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #22
fireplug

Drives: 07 Tundra
Just about anything but Pennzoil and Fram oil filters---ever rebuild a motor after it's been running Pennzoil? Yikes
fireplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #23
7CAMARO7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
You will recieve endless opinions to your question.
I use Mobil 1
It was the factory fill on my B4C and is still the factory fill for new Vettes.
Filter opinions abound as well and I stay with AC.

Rob
The factory intake, exhaust, tires, cam, and heads are all factory on the vettes too, but there are better parts out there in every category. Have an open mind Do a little research like I've done.

I remember reading somewhere that mobil 1 pays gm and other companies to say mobil 1 recommended. Same with quaker state and ferrari.

Its hardly because those oils are the best.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #24
7CAMARO7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireplug View Post
Just about anything but Pennzoil and Fram oil filters---ever rebuild a motor after it's been running Pennzoil? Yikes
pennz plat is has an outstanding rep, maybe just there regular stuff is crap. I think I've heard that before about their conventional too

Old 04-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #25
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Quote:
I read a lot. On ls1.com and ls1tech there's always an oil guy who know's too damn much. They come up with the most dumb intelligent shit on the oils and they've got me brainwashed into thinking one is better than the other. You'll have to look it all up. Just register on one of those sites and do a search on the oils. Sarge on ls1.com know's a lot and I don't remember who on ls1tech, but someone there knows.

I research before I do most of time time. The oil guys use oil then send it to an oil lab off out yonder, and they send results back on how much silicon and all this other stuff is in your oil. They tell you how much metal is in your oil and damn near what engine part it came from.

I am however smart enough to skip to the end and see what the best oils are

I've read a lot of Sarge's posts on LS1.com. I'm also one of those guys who send my oil off for analysis as well. we have a big thread here that is a bit old, but it has a lot of good info about oils and filters. bout the only people I've ever heard saying RP was no good were Amsoil people.

I know my oils, I know my filters, along with a horde of other things. I just wanted to know whether you had a personal bad experience with RP or not.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Quote: