Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #18
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307
 
Joebot8484's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central New York
Posts: 1,895
Happy B-Day Jedi! And my I say WOW, SUPER ZL1 OVERLOAD these last few days. I'm getting so pumped for this car it's not even funny.
__________________
Click on my signature for my build thread
Joebot8484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #19
spen5151
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 VR/ECF/Sunroof-Trad
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Why would anyone think that all of the development, testing, verification, and validation performed on the ZL1 by the Chevrolet design team (some of which is shown in these videos) would produce a higher performance vehicle than a much less expensive, personally modified LS, LT, or SS Camaro?
I have heard people myself say why dont you just modify you will get the same or better performance. I dont think people really realized all of the technology going into this beast! Latest version of MRC and LC as seen in the videos as well!
spen5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #20
IOMZL1

 
IOMZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 1991 Z28; 2008 SRT 10 Viper Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by spen5151 View Post
I have heard people myself say why dont you just modify you will get the same or better performance. I dont think people really realized all of the technology going into this beast! Latest version of MRC and LC as seen in the videos as well!


These must be some great videos! Exactly what some of us have been saying all along though - an engineered beast to be reckoned with... brawn AND brains. I hope these videos open some eyes to that fact.

Last edited by IOMZL1; 09-22-2011 at 11:18 AM.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #21
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,544
Running to get napkins to wipe drool from lips!
__________________
2014 C7 Stingray 3LT/Z51
2013 Camaro SS
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 850 HP
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #22
GoldenBear
Bear Backer
 
GoldenBear's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by spen5151 View Post
I have heard people myself say why dont you just modify you will get the same or better performance. I dont think people really realized all of the technology going into this beast! Latest version of MRC and LC as seen in the videos as well!
I just called my dealer to try and put a deposit to be on a waiting list for an LS that I want to modify into a ZL1 killer, but he said that I would be 10,346 on the waiting list, and they are now putting at least $35,000 dealer markup on all LSs since they finally realized what people will be doing.
__________________
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6

Last edited by GoldenBear; 09-22-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Fixed Typo
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #23
Blue Maro Demon

 
Blue Maro Demon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 AQUA BLUE CAMARO RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,193
After watching this two new videos all I can say is WOW! I dont think people really realize exactly how much techonology is being put into the new Camaro ZL1. This Camaro is going to be something very very very very VERY special and I for one can't wait to see what it is capable of. I really dont think ANY other competitor on the market is going to be able to match this new ZL1 pound for pound even if it is lighter because they simply dont have what it takes to match both GM's performance & technology capabilities. All I can say is I want one and if I dont get one this year then I at least would like for Scott Settlemire or one of the new owners to give me a ride in one at Camaro Fest 3 next August because I cant wait to see this beast in action!
: chevy:
__________________
Blue Maro Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #24
armysig
Catch me if you can
 
armysig's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by spen5151 View Post
I have heard people myself say why dont you just modify you will get the same or better performance. I dont think people really realized all of the technology going into this beast! Latest version of MRC and LC as seen in the videos as well!

The amount of technology, R&D, and testing that was put into this car is insane. I test equipment for the military and I use testing items that are valued into the $500.000.00 to $800.000.00, and those are some of my most used items. When they said that the data test collection that's in the trunk came to $100.000.00, that doesn't include the stuff they have back at the office to either build that equipment or to process the data.
I would guess that each test day cost atleast around $25,000 to $45,000, add that up and it's crazy moeny spent on delivering a high quality product to us.
The only other orginizations that could come close to what GM has done to the ZL-1 are Pro race car teams...Or Speedster .
__________________
armysig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #25
spen5151
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 VR/ECF/Sunroof-Trad
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
The amount of technology, R&D, and testing that was put into this car is insane. I test equipment for the military and I use testing items that are valued into the $500.000.00 to $800.000.00, and those are some of my most used items. When they said that the data test collection that's in the trunk came to $100.000.00, that doesn't include the stuff they have back at the office to either build that equipment or to process the data.
I would guess that each test day cost atleast around $25,000 to $45,000, add that up and it's crazy moeny spent on delivering a high quality product to us.
The only other orginizations that could come close to what GM has done to the ZL-1 are Pro race car teams...Or Speedster .

spen5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #26
spen5151
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 VR/ECF/Sunroof-Trad
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I just called my dealer to try and put a deposit to be on a waiting list for an LS that I want to modify into a ZL1 killer, but he said that I would be 10,346 on the waiting list, and they are now putting at least $35,000 dealer markup on all LSs since they finally realized what people will be doing.
spen5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #27
lbls1


 
lbls1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2009 Malibu LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,438
Chevy is putting a lot of effort into engineering this zl1. It will be much more than a cts-v body swap or a camaro with a Maggie bolted on.

It just gets better by the day. I wish I didn't have to wait so long for a zl1.
__________________
'02 CAMARO SS SOM; 5.7L LS1/FLS6B
'08 TBSS AWD Black Granite Metallic
'09 Malibu LT Dark Gray Metallic

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #28
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
My palms are literally swetty, my BP is elevated and I have shivers and tingles throughout my body and up and down my spine. No fooling. All I can say is Holy Mother of God.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #29
GoldenBear
Bear Backer
 
GoldenBear's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,490
I hope these videos will help put an end to those threads where people casually state that the ZL1 will not be worth the cost, because the ZL1 won't perform as well as a much cheaper, modified this or that, or a 6XX hp 2013 GT500.

It's clear from the videos that the ZL1 has been developed to be a complete factory race ready high performance vehicle.

Will there be vehicles out there that will have higher performance? Sure. However, I'll be willing to bet that it will difficult to obtain one that performs as well as the ZL1 for a price that is less or equal to the ZL1's price.
__________________
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #30
Bobtorious
 
Bobtorious's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS, 2014 Sierra Denali
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southern 'Burbs, Minnesota
Posts: 73
Send a message via ICQ to Bobtorious
GM has been doing a great job with this marketing campaign! I love it!
Bobtorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #31
fbodfather


 
fbodfather's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros................
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI (suburban Detroit)
Posts: 4,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
My palms are literally swetty, my BP is elevated and I have shivers and tingles throughout my body and up and down my spine. No fooling. All I can say is Holy Mother of God.



Your Quote is what we live for!


And to the naysayers out there:


T!O!L!D! Y!A! S!O!!!!......
__________________
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
It was listed under retired old farts.
I'm sorry - I didn't get over there yet, but...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!Today is my sister-in-law's b-day, too, and my wifey's is Sunday, but if I could get you a ZL1, I sure would, brother. Have a GREAT day

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I just called my dealer to try and put a deposit to be on a waiting list for an LS that I want to modify into a ZL1 killer, but he said that I would be 10,346 on the waiting list, and they are now putting at least $35,000 dealer markup on all LSs since they finally realized what people will be doing.
Which dealer is this that I should avoid? j/k But seriously - what dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Maro Demon View Post
After watching this two new videos all I can say is WOW! I dont think people really realize exactly how much techonology is being put into the new Camaro ZL1. This Camaro is going to be something very very very very VERY special and I for one can't wait to see what it is capable of. I really dont think ANY other competitor on the market is going to be able to match this new ZL1 pound for pound even if it is lighter because they simply dont have what it takes to match both GM's performance & technology capabilities. All I can say is I want one and if I dont get one this year then I at least would like for Scott Settlemire or one of the new owners to give me a ride in one at Camaro Fest 3 next August because I cant wait to see this beast in action!
: chevy:
I, too, have been trying to say about the same thing you have. I knew as soon as I saw it on the stage that February morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by spen5151 View Post
+3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I hope these videos will help put an end to those threads where people casually state that the ZL1 will not be worth the cost, because the ZL1 won't perform as well as a much cheaper, modified this or that, or a 6XX hp 2013 GT500.

It's clear from the videos that the ZL1 has been developed to be a complete factory race ready high performance vehicle.

Will there be vehicles out there that will have higher performance? Sure. However, I'll be willing to bet that it will difficult to obtain one that performs as well as the ZL1 for a price that is less or equal to the ZL1's price.
It won't, but I'm sure when the embargo lifts, and when these start leaving black "11"s on the drag strip and terrorizing the streets across our beautiful country. That '13 could have 620 horse' but they better do something about using those phillies. Ford spent most of that car's budget under the hood, which is fine if you don't mind going straight all the time, but I think ZL1 (and CAMARO across the line) is more of a Ponycar than the 'stang is now. I'm so excited to see GM reveil the whole package. They're certainly showing they aren't affraid to take the car to the strip and kick up some VHT and rubber!

I completely agree with your last statement, too. I think it'll be a while before that's possible. It's easy to make a racecar, but it's another thing to make it enjoyable to drive every day, in all weather, in compete comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobtorious View Post
GM has been doing a great job with this marketing campaign! I love it!
I really hope we start seeing some TV ads. The internet is great, but the more I see CAMARO and ZL1, I think it's for the better for Chevrolet and ZL1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post


Your Quote is what we live for!


And to the naysayers out there:


T!O!L!D! Y!A! S!O!!!!......
I can't wait to see all the goodies you guys might still be holding out on us
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #33
fbodfather


 
fbodfather's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros................
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI (suburban Detroit)
Posts: 4,471
U

L

T

R

A


G R I N.......
__________________
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #34
BigBlock427
ConceptZer0
 
BigBlock427's Avatar
 
Drives: 68 427 Camaro, 11 2SS/RS, 13 ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: nj
Posts: 1,089
Everyday I wonder if I should have waited... but now I am stuck between upgrading my SS and getting S/C... or leave it with what i have done so far and hope the trade in value is high enough to get into one of these.


Also waiting on specs for the C7...
__________________

Borla ATAKHURST ShifterC.A.I Intake W/ScoopTSW Nurburing RimsACC L.E.Ds Dome/Trunk
BigBlock427 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forget the Z28...get straight to the ZL1 1_2Many Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 108 09-07-2015 01:33 PM
Poll: lets count ZL1 buyers on Camaro5 2012ZL1 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 110 09-28-2011 08:58 PM
NEW Official Details on Camaro ZL1 -- 580hp / 556 lb-ft torque!! DarthNacho08 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 420 09-27-2011 05:17 PM
FBODFATHER-How does GM feel about the ZL1 nameplate? will we ever see a modern ZL1? D-Unit 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 24 07-30-2008 07:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.