Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #26
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,088
Found some old stats, pretty close and notice the Z28's 1/4 MPH.

The 1967 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Specifications
Wheelbase, inches: 108.1
Weight, lbs: 3,500
Number built: 602
Base price: $3,500
Standard Engine
Type: ohv V-8
Displacement, cid: 302
Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Horsepower @ rpm: 290 @ 5800
Torque @ rpm: 290 @ 4200
Representative Performance
0-60 mph, sec: 6.9
1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 14.85 @ 101


The 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS 396
Specifications
Wheelbase, inches: 108.1
Weight, lbs: 3,720
Number built: NA
Base price: $3,046
Top Available Engine
Type: ohv V-8
Displacement, cid: 396
Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Horsepower @ rpm: 375 @ 5600
Torque @ rpm: 415 @ 3600
Representative Performance
0-60 mph, sec: 6.5
1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 14.5 @ 99
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #27
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Found some old stats, pretty close and notice the Z28's 1/4 MPH.

The 1967 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Specifications
Wheelbase, inches: 108.1
Weight, lbs: 3,500
Number built: 602
Base price: $3,500
Standard Engine
Type: ohv V-8
Displacement, cid: 302
Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Horsepower @ rpm: 290 @ 5800
Torque @ rpm: 290 @ 4200
Representative Performance
0-60 mph, sec: 6.9
1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 14.85 @ 101


The 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS 396
Specifications
Wheelbase, inches: 108.1
Weight, lbs: 3,720
Number built: NA
Base price: $3,046
Top Available Engine
Type: ohv V-8
Displacement, cid: 396
Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Horsepower @ rpm: 375 @ 5600
Torque @ rpm: 415 @ 3600
Representative Performance
0-60 mph, sec: 6.5
1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 14.5 @ 99
I have posted many times on these forums that the 396/325hp and the 396/350hp were no match for the Z/28 and the 396/375hp made it a driver's race.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #28
big boss
 
big boss's Avatar
 
Drives: Imp.blue, tuned,cold air,magfl,
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: tenn.
Posts: 199
AT 60 yrs. old now , back then , 396 w/ 375 heads was top dog,and if you had cam, headers, w/411 rear end. thats was camaro. they were lighter too. not 4100 lbs.
big boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #29
chevy454
 
chevy454's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
My friend, you are definately barking up the wrong tree this time!! Have I ever ridden in one? You bet your butt I have since I bought one new in '69 and drove it for a number of years. Can't beat the torque of a BB on the strip? I guess you haven't seen any of the D/S Z/28 record holders scaring the bejesus out of BBs and sometimes beating them. Do I need to post some of the current D/S videos yet again to let you see their under ten and a half second runs around 125mph? None of the first gen. Z/28 owners back in the day was worried about SS396 Camaros, they were not a real issue, the 325 hp and 350 hp versions were absolutely no issue, the 375 hp version made it a driver's race. The real thrust of my post is not so much what you or I think, it is what Chevrolet seemed to imply in their own ad copy, go back and read it again.
Clyde
Tell me, exactly *which* 396 Camaros are D/S legal?

My old man was a '69 Z owner back in the day, and there's a reason he switched to solid lifter BBC's...
__________________
'69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118, on F70-15 Polyglass tires, Pure Stock
'10 Yenko Camaro - 11.75 @ 117, LS7+A6+Converter

Last edited by chevy454; 09-28-2011 at 11:08 AM.
chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #30
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I have posted many times on these forums that the 396/325hp and the 396/350hp were no match for the Z/28 and the 396/375hp made it a driver's race.
Clyde
That's why I posted this as confirmation. Where are he naysayers now???

Another interesting point is that with all the safety standards added today's cars are not that much heavier.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #31
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,080
"History" has a way of glossing over what was FACT, "back in the day".

Fact: A COPO 9561 with L72 427 sold for less dough than an SS396-L78/375hp...but, sadly, the vast majority of dealers didn't know about 'em, or stock 'em. Less than 1000 built. All-time bargain, all-time lust factor...and I wish I hadn't passed on a $7,000 example in '85!

Fact: A COPO 9560 with ZL1 427 was made of an even rarer alloy called "unobtainium". 50% more $$$$ than a "factory" Hemi Cuda/Dart circa '68, and half as many made. 69 total. Some of those languished into the '70s, and were only sold after engine transplants. The "ultimate Camaro"...that almost no one wanted, new!

Fact: "Off the showroom floor", a '68-'69 Z/28 was highly regarded...by EVERYONE! Quickest? No. Fastest? No. Best-handling? Yes. Image? Yes. Desirability? The current number of '69 Camaro Z/28s faaaar exceeds the actual number built...which was about 20,000. Which meets/exceeds ALL factory-built '69 Big Block Camaros...

Fact: When introduced in late-'66, after the brochures were printed/shipped, the '67 Z/28 was essentially a COPO in that almost no one knew about it. 602 sold. Put into the '68 brochure, a-w-a-y went sales...not from word of mouth, but from public knowledge/acceptance. And Dealers started stockin' them. Wonders what a lil exposure will do...

Fact: The Big Block SS396, in 325 hp and 375 hp versions, were also late arrivals for the '67 Model Year...but, being available with Air and, particularly, Automatic (in 325 hp form, both) made these more "saleable" in Dealers' minds. A nod to "history" that has been adopted by GM with the coming ZL1..."lessons learned".

Fact: A Gen-1 Camaro SS396/325 hp with Automatic and Air weighed...are you ready for it?...as much as a Gen-5 1SS...3850 lbs.

"History..."
__________________
LOWDOWN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #32
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy454 View Post
Tell me, exactly *which* 396 Camaros are D/S legal?

My old man was a '69 Z owner back in the day, and there's a reason he switched to solid lifter BBC's...
And just exactly where did I say that any 396 Camaros were D/S legal (I personally don't know if any are or not)? You are taking two different statements and merging them together. Can I show you a D/S Camario racing a 396 Camaro at the strip? Yep, don't even have to be in the same class for that to happen. You can find an example or two on YouTube.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #33
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy454 View Post
Tell me, exactly *which* 396 Camaros are D/S legal?

My old man was a '69 Z owner back in the day, and there's a reason he switched to solid lifter BBC's...
And here's an example for you:


wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #34
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
"We'll start with our strongest. Z/28 Camaro." That tells me that Chevrolet considered the Z/28 to be the top dog, that's good enough for me!
Clyde
Good enough for me as well!
ShnOmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #35
chevy454
 
chevy454's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
And here's an example for you:


You do realize that the 396 Camaro in the other lane was over a tenth quicker and had 3+ mph on Jerry's Z, right (while carrying almost 200 more pounds)? Notice how Jerry gets tree'd then run down on the big end...

I'm not sure exactly which year that video is from, but if it's from the 2010 Dutch I believe Ficacci's 396 Camaro had about 3 tenths or so on MacNeish...
__________________
'69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118, on F70-15 Polyglass tires, Pure Stock
'10 Yenko Camaro - 11.75 @ 117, LS7+A6+Converter
chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #36
Shu71

 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 788
"top dog" is a little broad really. Top dog at the strip or on the road course? The Z/28 was a purpose built car so GM could compete in TransAm and in order to do this it had to be sold to the public. GM wanted a lightweight car they could put a 302 cubic inch limited engine in and sell to the public so to qualify as legal for TransAm. In stock form it ran well. Add to it (if you ordered them, the headers, cross ram dual quad intake and carb, and cam which were dealer installed items and it it ran really well. However, it was by no means a COPO 9561 or 9560 killer at the drag strip. The COPO cars 13.5 and 13.1 second cars whereas the Z28 was a high 14 to low 15 second car in stock form. The ad you posted is just that, an ad which is used to persuade sales. In that ad, yes GM was trying to make the Z28 sound like it was the baddest of the bad. In some ways, like on the road courses it performed exactly as they planned. It got a TON of recognition from it's spotlight in TransAm and that is why it sold well (better than the COPO's) and was easy to persuade buyers to think it was the best. So was it top dog? Well in terms of sales against the other potential top dogs (COPO) then yes it sold more. But if your top dog is strickly performance, then I'd vote the COPO's were the top dog.
__________________
Shu71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #37
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post
"top dog" is a little broad really. Top dog at the strip or on the road course? The Z/28 was a purpose built car so GM could compete in TransAm and in order to do this it had to be sold to the public. GM wanted a lightweight car they could put a 302 cubic inch limited engine in and sell to the public so to qualify as legal for TransAm. In stock form it ran well. Add to it (if you ordered them, the headers, cross ram dual quad intake and carb, and cam which were dealer installed items and it it ran really well. However, it was by no means a COPO 9561 or 9560 killer at the drag strip. The COPO cars 13.5 and 13.1 second cars whereas the Z28 was a high 14 to low 15 second car in stock form. The ad you posted is just that, an ad which is used to persuade sales. In that ad, yes GM was trying to make the Z28 sound like it was the baddest of the bad. In some ways, like on the road courses it performed exactly as they planned. It got a TON of recognition from it's spotlight in TransAm and that is why it sold well (better than the COPO's) and was easy to persuade buyers to think it was the best. So was it top dog? Well in terms of sales against the other potential top dogs (COPO) then yes it sold more. But if your top dog is strickly performance, then I'd vote the COPO's were the top dog.
Ask GM if they'd like to develop a very low volume vehicle that, in 40 years, will be "lusted" by restorers/collectors OR would they rather build a much-higher volume vehicle that people THINK is "all that and a bag of chips"...and vote with their wallets to buy as many as they possibly can at "profit$" greater than all those image cars combined and then some, and I believe you'll find your answer...quickly!

BTW, I believe the original premise, here, was RPO, not SPO (COPO) versions. No COPOs...hell, not even an L78...in the brochures... They were a genrally well-guarded secret to almost everyone. The local dealer was adament that no such 427 Camaro existed!

Putting more cubes in an equal-weight drag car generally means more possible power...ergo, a Big Block should outrun a mini-block 302 in "fortified" fashion. But a Z/28, in '69 off the showroom floor, enjoyed a better balance of weight (fr/rr) and at least 200 fewer pounds at the Curb. Showroom Stock, the "average" test times for RPO'd '69 Camaros would favor the L78 over the Z/28 over the other two also-rans...

IIRC my brother's then-new L78 '69 Nova, on E70/14s, ran a best of 13.85...well-tuned, unmodified, after many "laps" of practise...and my '68 Z/28 ran a best of 14.40 on E70/15s, comparably. Same strip...same 4.10s (the max gear for Pure Stock, locally). In '69, the Nova ran B/PS and the Zapper ran F/PS, just so you know what NHRA was thinkin'.
__________________
LOWDOWN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #38
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,080
Addendum:

I recall a late '69 issue of Hot Rod Magazine where a GM-supplied Z/28 "tester" was balanced/blueprinted/heads cc'd, headers, 4.88s, 7" slicks, front skinnies, carb "scienced"/jetted...an "optimized" but streetable/legal Stock Eliminator 302 4bbl car. Results: about a 1/4 second off the then-National Record for F/Stock, running actual (corrected) 12.60s (?)...IIRC. COPO L72s ran A/Stock, L78s ran B/Stock, and their records would have been at/under 12.00s, at that time.

Today's Stock Eliminator, what with "factory" Mustang FRs 'n such, bears NO resemblance to the Stock-class cars of '69. Back then, showroom iron (no body-in-white one-offs) was mandatory, as were 7" tires and very restricted upgrades.
__________________
LOWDOWN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #39
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy454 View Post
You do realize that the 396 Camaro in the other lane was over a tenth quicker and had 3+ mph on Jerry's Z, right (while carrying almost 200 more pounds)? Notice how Jerry gets tree'd then run down on the big end...

I'm not sure exactly which year that video is from, but if it's from the 2010 Dutch I believe Ficacci's 396 Camaro had about 3 tenths or so on MacNeish...
And your point would be?? My point was that the 302 came damn close, so much for all of the superiority of the Big Block! If the BBs were "all that", then that little 302 shouldn't have been anywhere close. If you assume all of the Z/28 people are idiots and know nothing about performance, facts, and history, then you will continue to argue with us. That video was a 10.60 from MacNeish, his D/S record set last year was 10.45 somewhere around 127mph. What difference does it make that the 396 was carrying almost 200 more pounds, that's the penalty of having a big block. Grow up!!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #40
Fraxum


 
Fraxum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South NJ
Posts: 2,749
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Back in the day was no different than now. At the test and tune nights at Atco I see Mustang GT 500s running high thirteens. Back in the day you had bad drivers too and terrible tires. The big block cars with the extra weight up front were especially handicapped.

I can tell you L78 Camaros had no trouble with Z28s with stickys on both. Of course for me I was spending my nights at Front Street in Philly and not at the track. Even the 350 Hp hydraulic cammed 396s ran hard with LTs, tires, and carb upgrade. There were very few factory Camaro 427s around but of course they would have been even faster.

But this still does not take anything away from the Z28. It was a better all around HiPo car than the big block Camaros. The Z28 mystique is why we are all here. We do not want ZL-1 overkill. Just a fast, simple, as light as possible, NA car with track ability. I am not knocking the ZL-1 by the way, it is very cool.

Those of you defending the Z28 I am with you. But it did not rule the street. Most of the motor-heads back in the day were much more impressed with big block solid lifter Chevrolet power. Sounds like now too doesn't it?
__________________

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #41
chevy454
 
chevy454's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
BTW, I believe the original premise, here, was RPO, not SPO (COPO) versions. No COPOs...hell, not even an L78...in the brochures... They were a genrally well-guarded secret to almost everyone. The local dealer was adament that no such 427 Camaro existed!
Don't you wish your dealer had seen this, then?



Other than maybe the 'Vettes, Chevrolet's ad department SUCKED...and pretty much still does. Ford and especially Mopar weren't afraid to let the world know what was available, but Chevrolet made you dig for the good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
And your point would be?? My point was that the 302 came damn close, so much for all of the superiority of the Big Block! If the BBs were "all that", then that little 302 shouldn't have been anywhere close. If you assume all of the Z/28 people are idiots and know nothing about performance, facts, and history, then you will continue to argue with us. That video was a 10.60 from MacNeish, his D/S record set last year was 10.45 somewhere around 127mph. What difference does it make that the 396 was carrying almost 200 more pounds, that's the penalty of having a big block. Grow up!!
Clyde
"Came damn close"???? Do they give trophies for that, lol?!

You were the one that *repeatedly* posted that it was a driver's race between an L78 and a Z/28, and then you post a video of a D/S Z getting outran on the drag strip by a similarly equipped B/S L78 Camaro...Jerry will be flattered to see what you think of his driving I'm sure!

The extra 200 pounds plus the 3mph higher trap speed shows the 396 has a lot more horsepower than the 302, probably to the tune of 75-100hp more...the great thing about less weight, though, is that you don't have to tune it!

And *I* never assumed all of the "Z/28 people are idiots" (my dad owned a '69 Z for many years when I was younger), that one's on you...
__________________
'69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118, on F70-15 Polyglass tires, Pure Stock
'10 Yenko Camaro - 11.75 @ 117, LS7+A6+Converter
chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #42
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,088
All around performance drivers car Z28 wins.

1/4 mile only SS 396/375 wins (just barely see top of page).

Give me a car that is very good at everything any day!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #43
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy454 View Post
Don't you wish your dealer had seen this, then?

True story...sadly...

My brother and I had "heard" about the COPOs through Hot Rod and Car Craft and SS&DI. My brother was set to order a new $3,500 give-or-take Big Block Chevy, April '69. Nova or Camaro. L78 was the engine of choice. But wait! A 427 Camaro?! How much?!

We had EIGHT Chev dealers within 50 miles (with, unfortunately, the SAME District Manager...). Visits/phone calls to 'em ALL. "Nope, no such beast". Can you check? "Yup". What did you find out? "No such beast. Those car magazines don't know what they're talkin' about!"

Order placed, finally, for an L78 Nova (his wife expecting their first...more room). Car arrives, on a dealer trade. My brother takes delivery. First break-in trip is to the nearest BIG City, 150 miles away. What is sitting out front of the area's largest Chev dealer, with a BIG sign, shouting to the world?

427 CAMAROS From $3,599!!!!

Damn...
__________________
LOWDOWN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #44
chevy454
 
chevy454's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
True story...sadly...

My brother and I had "heard" about the COPOs through Hot Rod and Car Craft and SS&DI. My brother was set to order a new $3,500 give-or-take Big Block Chevy, April '69. Nova or Camaro. L78 was the engine of choice. But wait! A 427 Camaro?! How much?!

We had EIGHT Chev dealers within 50 miles (with, unfortunately, the SAME District Manager...). Visits/phone calls to 'em ALL. "Nope, no such beast". Can you check? "Yup". What did you find out? "No such beast. Those car magazines don't know what they're talkin' about!"

Order placed, finally, for an L78 Nova (his wife expecting their first...more room). Car arrives, on a dealer trade. My brother takes delivery. First break-in trip is to the nearest BIG City, 150 miles away. What is sitting out front of the area's largest Chev dealer, with a BIG sign, shouting to the world?

427 CAMAROS From $3,599!!!!

Damn...
Oh snap! What city/region of the country were you in? The odd thing is, there were several small town dealers that somehow figured it out and got clued in, even here in northern Arkansas/southern Missouri...

Funny about the guy discounting magazines/newspapers, because that was all too common...several folks tested factory 427 Camaros/Chevelles back in the day, and even up through the mid '80s folks were discounting that they ever existed!
__________________
'69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118, on F70-15 Polyglass tires, Pure Stock
'10 Yenko Camaro - 11.75 @ 117, LS7+A6+Converter
chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #45
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,080
Actually, it was in central Canada, but many COPOs landed up there, eventually...

My 30+ years of peddlin' GMs has seen this same scenario repeated countless times...more up-to-date info in the enthusiast press/on-line than from "official" sources...
__________________
LOWDOWN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #46
chevy454
 
chevy454's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Actually, it was in central Canada, but many COPOs landed up there, eventually...

My 30+ years of peddlin' GMs has seen this same scenario repeated countless times...more up-to-date info in the enthusiast press/on-line than from "official" sources...
Oh man, Canada was *definitely* tuned in to the HP stuff, or at least some of it! I'm good friends with a guy that has several Canadian COPOs, mainly from Central down in London, Ont...

I bet your hearts sank when you saw that sign, but an L78 Nova is nothing to scoff at, either...I know I sure liked ours! Tell me more, color, trans, rear gear, etc...
__________________
'69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118, on F70-15 Polyglass tires, Pure Stock
'10 Yenko Camaro - 11.75 @ 117, LS7+A6+Converter
chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #47
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,080
Pete Simpson from Glencoe ON has a 9560, a 9561, and one-of-two non-Yenko '70 LT-1 Novas (both from Central). Dave Mathers, who was the hi-po salesguy at Central, wrote a column in the national motorsports rag of the time, Wheelspin News. Their ads appeared after my brother bought his Fathom Green/Black Bench M21/4.10-G80/ZJ5/ZJ7/A01/U63 version.

My '68 "Zed" was a Marina Blue-Black Stripe/Black bucket/M21/G80-4.10/U63/non-spoilered Bank repo, bought "right"...with "302" emblems on the front fenders.

Mathers' demo in '69? An L-88 Vette...no heat/defrost...in CANADA...hardcore!

For more on Pete's '70 LT-1 Nova, see Posts #9 and #11: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172662
__________________

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 09-29-2011 at 12:04 PM.
LOWDOWN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #48
chevy454
 
chevy454's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Pete Simpson from Glencoe ON has a 9560, a 9561, and one-of-two non-Yenko '70 LT-1 Novas (both from Central). Dave Mathers, who was the hi-po salesguy at Central, wrote a column in the national motorsports rag of the time, Wheelspin News. Their ads appeared after my brother bought his Fathom Green/Black Bench M21/4.10-G80/ZJ5/ZJ7/A01/U63 version.

Mathers' demo in '69? An L-88 Vette...no heat/defrost...in CANADA...hardcore!
That'd be him! I had read the MCR articles about his COPO cars and how he actually drove & raced them, and finally met him when I started racing at the Pure Stock Drags (1999)...I was a bit intimidated by him, because he was a celebrity to me, but he saw the car and came right over and struck up a conversation. Great guy, great family, and the group of folks he brings with him to the track are all great folks and a heck of a lot of fun to hang around with! And they're serious about their racing!! I've written Feature Car articles on all of his COPOs, I believe: click here (we founded/operated Yenko.net up until a couple months ago)

Fathom green, what an awesome color...I have a project Yenko Chevelle tucked in a corner of our shop that is an original Fathom Green car. And you got the optional 4.10/M21 as well, opposed to the standard 3.55/M20 setup...our L78 Nova had the 3.55/M20 setup and made for a good driver, but nothing like the M21/4.10 setup in our Yenko Nova.

[Edit: btw, Pete's son Owen went 12.73 @ 109.89 in the silver COPO nova a couple weeks ago at the Pure Stock Drags!]
__________________
'69 Yenko Camaro - 11.73 @ 118, on F70-15 Polyglass tires, Pure Stock
'10 Yenko Camaro - 11.75 @ 117, LS7+A6+Converter
chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #49
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,080
Thanks for the link! A LOT of history there, Camaro comrades!
__________________
LOWDOWN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #50
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy454 View Post
Don't you wish your dealer had seen this, then?



Other than maybe the 'Vettes, Chevrolet's ad department SUCKED...and pretty much still does. Ford and especially Mopar weren't afraid to let the world know what was available, but Chevrolet made you dig for the good stuff.


"Came damn close"???? Do they give trophies for that, lol?!

You were the one that *repeatedly* posted that it was a driver's race between an L78 and a Z/28, and then you post a video of a D/S Z getting outran on the drag strip by a similarly equipped B/S L78 Camaro...Jerry will be flattered to see what you think of his driving I'm sure!

The extra 200 pounds plus the 3mph higher trap speed shows the 396 has a lot more horsepower than the 302, probably to the tune of 75-100hp more...the great thing about less weight, though, is that you don't have to tune it!

And *I* never assumed all of the "Z/28 people are idiots" (my dad owned a '69 Z for many years when I was younger), that one's on you...
And I still maintain it is a driver's race and can do so without putting down Jerry MacNeish's driving skill. I spent too many years watching and experiencing all sorts of Chevy hi performance drivetrains to have not come away with a feel for what was happening on the street and strip back in the day. And I can safely say that in '67-'69 in my area there were very few 427 Camaros in existence (plenty of fingers on one hand to count them), plenty of 396 Camaros with the overwhelming numbers being 325 and 350 hp versions. I'm not saying that the 396/375 was not an awesome engine, it was, as were the COPO 427 Camaros. At the same time I don't discount what Z/28s were capable of, I don't just rely on my experience owning one, the Chevy HiPerf club I belonged to had close to a dozen Z/28s among it's members in my town. Perhaps your experience was different than mine, I must however go by my own experience. The real point is not about who can put who's drivetrain down, they are all Chevy drivetrains, but we do need to look at real world performance while being aware that many of the so called magazine performance tests must have used horrible drivers to come up with some of the numbers they did.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PEDDERS SUCCESSFULLY FITS 305s ON ALL 4 CORNERS! Info@PeddersUSA.com Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 467 06-11-2013 09:45 PM
GT5 Camaro pics brantley847 Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 93 05-27-2013 08:35 PM
Think about this and the Z28 5th gen 13F20 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 41 09-04-2010 12:59 AM
The DEFINITIVE EXPLANATION OF CAMARO SUSPENSION, ISSUES, AND UPGRADES Info@PeddersUSA.com Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 106 10-19-2009 06:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.