Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
steeleshark2


 
steeleshark2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Posts: 2,558
Misfire on #4 !!!!Updated!!!! Broken Valve Spring

Well, I was driving down the road and the car sounded a bit different. I received the check engine and service stable track ect. I pulled the code which showed #4 was misfiring. I replaced the spark plug, swapped plug wires, fuel injectors, and coil pack, used sea foam and gas cleaner. The problem stayed on number 4. I guess now I will have to take it to the shop. Any other ideas on what I could do or what it might be? You can see the build list in my sig.

UPDATED

Broken TSP PRC Gold valve spring on the Exhaust side (only been installed for 5 months).

Last edited by steeleshark2; 09-25-2011 at 05:02 PM.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!
 
HufferSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SC
Posts: 3,333
It's compression, fuel or spark. Changing things doesn't necessarily eliminate that option...for example replacing the fuel injector doesn't eliminate that as an issue because it could be the harness or connector that might cause it not to fire etc.

I'd start by doing a compression test on that cylinder and rule that out first. If low compression could be a ring issue or a valvetrain issue.

Good luck.
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
priz23
On 2nd 2010
 
priz23's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS -Cyber Gray
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minooka, IL
Posts: 168
I got the misfire code when I still had my 6. It ended up only being a software issue. Got a refresh and I was fine, guess GM runs windows.
__________________
priz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
rvg
 
Drives: coco
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Doh
Posts: 14
check the headers make sure that it's stable and then check the headers sensors espically the wires cuz sometime heat will burn them and that happened to me and i fix the problems now the check engine didn't came again .
rvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
steeleshark2


 
steeleshark2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Posts: 2,558
Well, took it to the shop and my valve spring broke. Glad I used upgraded dual springs, it saved my motor. Now I have to contact Texas Speed about the spring. Spring is rated to .675 lift and I am not even close. When I get new springs in, I will have to check to see if the valve is messed up. If the heads have to come off, I may look at a good port and polish job. I cannot believe I broke a spring and was only at 3000 pm not racing.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
Well, took it to the shop and my valve spring broke. Glad I used upgraded dual springs, it saved my motor. Now I have to contact Texas Speed about the spring. Spring is rated to .675 lift and I am not even close. When I get new springs in, I will have to check to see if the valve is messed up. If the heads have to come off, I may look at a good port and polish job. I cannot believe I broke a spring and was only at 3000 pm not racing.
same thing happen to me a few weeks ago.i don't think you need to remove the heads. i think there are different test to avoid the head removal.
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!
 
HufferSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SC
Posts: 3,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
Well, took it to the shop and my valve spring broke. Glad I used upgraded dual springs, it saved my motor. Now I have to contact Texas Speed about the spring. Spring is rated to .675 lift and I am not even close. When I get new springs in, I will have to check to see if the valve is messed up. If the heads have to come off, I may look at a good port and polish job. I cannot believe I broke a spring and was only at 3000 pm not racing.
That's what I suspected based on your mods.
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
MRGOODWRENCH3
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Park City, Utah
Posts: 670
The head does not have to be removed to change the spring. You will need to fill the cylinder with air and then use a valve spring removal tool. It is not a hard job to do. Better that it is #4 and not 7 or 8.
MRGOODWRENCH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
10camaross
 
10camaross's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs 6spd manual
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kiln, Mississippi
Posts: 253
I think he was talking about if the valve needs to be changed or repaired. Then the heads would have to be removed and he would get them worked
10camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10camaross View Post
I think he was talking about if the valve needs to be changed or repaired. Then the heads would have to be removed and he would get them worked
i dont think there is such thing called a valve, its a valve part that broke. taking heads off is really only for checking for damage but thats not even required here. you don't need to take off the heads to install a cam plus valve parts or really replace. now if a peace of metal fell into the motor then its a different story, and maybe you want to check the pistons and wall, but even they you should be able to tell before the head comes off.
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
steeleshark2


 
steeleshark2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i dont think there is such thing called a valve, its a valve part that broke. taking heads off is really only for checking for damage but thats not even required here. you don't need to take off the heads to install a cam plus valve parts or really replace. now if a peace of metal fell into the motor then its a different story, and maybe you want to check the pistons and wall, but even they you should be able to tell before the head comes off.
I think I might have bent the valve. Will not know until tomorrow with the air check. If I bent the valve, the head will have to come off. I only had these springs for 5 months so I wonder if TSP will send a replacement? Should I change all of them? If the head has to come off, might as well get new ported heads I guess. I will have to see how much more it will be.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!
 
HufferSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SC
Posts: 3,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i dont think there is such thing called a valve, its a valve part that broke. taking heads off is really only for checking for damage but thats not even required here. you don't need to take off the heads to install a cam plus valve parts or really replace. now if a peace of metal fell into the motor then its a different story, and maybe you want to check the pistons and wall, but even they you should be able to tell before the head comes off.
Uh yeah...there are valves in an LS3....16 of them in fact. If a valve is hurt them the heads have to come off...because the head is probably hurt too.
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Uh yeah...there are valves in an LS3....16 of them in fact. If a valve is hurt them the heads have to come off...because the head is probably hurt too.
well i stand corrected, i wasn't 100% sure. but still we both know the question being asked here . do i need to take the heads off to check for damage? which the answer is no.

all the OP knows is the spring is broke. so going by that info and that info alone. valves should not be talked about until we know more info.
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #14
JETG
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 502
That's sucks, I had the same springs. Had a miss in the motor knew something was not right. Well the heads were coming off and sent to TSP anyways. Didn't notice any springs were broken when we shipped them off. Well from what I was told they found a broken spring when they received the heads. This makes 3 of us that had broken springs. Me, you and mikess, my springs were ordered in dec of this last year, wonder if they had a bad batch or what ??? Kind of make me nervous as this is now 3 sets. I know that I don't drive my car that hard or hit revlimiter ect to cause a spring issue. I had maybe 4k miles on those springs at most. Knew something was wrong and told my shop at the time
JETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #15
jeepinocala
 
Drives: camaro ss 2s
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 29
Why did you change the springs in the first place? Ive herd of problems before with valve springs/valves/ maybe valve keepers? even with a cam change I dont think you need to change the springs. the motor has somewhere around a 550 lift and I read you cant go much larger simply for the room the lobes take up.
jeepinocala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #16
steeleshark2


 
steeleshark2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinocala View Post
Why did you change the springs in the first place? Ive herd of problems before with valve springs/valves/ maybe valve keepers? even with a cam change I dont think you need to change the springs. the motor has somewhere around a 550 lift and I read you cant go much larger simply for the room the lobes take up.
Any upgraded cam needs springs. Especially with the .642 lift i have.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #17
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETG View Post
That's sucks, I had the same springs. Had a miss in the motor knew something was not right. Well the heads were coming off and sent to TSP anyways. Didn't notice any springs were broken when we shipped them off. Well from what I was told they found a broken spring when they received the heads. This makes 3 of us that had broken springs. Me, you and mikess, my springs were ordered in dec of this last year, wonder if they had a bad batch or what ??? Kind of make me nervous as this is now 3 sets. I know that I don't drive my car that hard or hit revlimiter ect to cause a spring issue. I had maybe 4k miles on those springs at most. Knew something was wrong and told my shop at the time
ya i also had the cylinder number 4 spring go. i went with different springs this time though. funny story about what happen to me, my car was making weird noises for couple of days, i am guessing the outer spring broke on the duel springs and it was making the noise. i went to my shop 40 mins away made it there fine, but couldn't get the noise to reproduce, so about 5 miles on the way home, the spring breaks while driving, luckily i knew something was very wrong, pulled over and got a tow back to shop. lol 5 miles away. they checked every thing for damage, luckily only broken spring.

i also got mine back dec or jan last year.
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #18
JETG
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
ya i also had the cylinder number 4 spring go. i went with different springs this time though. funny story about what happen to me, my car was making weird noises for couple of days, i am guessing the outer spring broke on the duel springs and it was making the noise. i went to my shop 40 mins away made it there fine, but couldn't get the noise to reproduce, so about 5 miles on the way home, the spring breaks while driving, luckily i knew something was very wrong, pulled over and got a tow back to shop. lol 5 miles away.

i also got mine back dec or jan last year.
What springs did you go with ???

Springshark when did you get your springs ??? Wonder if it was a bad batch or what the deal is. Back in the day I had issues with 918's. So not new to this at all.
JETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #19
steeleshark2


 
steeleshark2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETG View Post
What springs did you go with ???

Springshark when did you get your springs ??? Wonder if it was a bad batch or what the deal is. Back in the day I had issues with 918's. So not new to this at all.
I got my springs around Mar. Didn't install until April. Got back from deployment in June. Driven only for 4 months. Did TSP do anything to compensate anyone for their broken springs?
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #20
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETG View Post
What springs did you go with ???

Springshark when did you get your springs ??? Wonder if it was a bad batch or what the deal is. Back in the day I had issues with 918's. So not new to this at all.
my shop said they have never seen a failure on there springs, so i went with theres. livernois motorsports LS springs
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #21
steeleshark2


 
steeleshark2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Posts: 2,558
Interesting read here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...e+valve+spring
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #22
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
interesting indeed


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam88gta1 View Post
I wouldnt recommend you sell a larger cam until you can sell a valve spring that can take the extra stress. Your current PRC spring has a problem with the 231 cam. No way it will ever work with added lift and RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
Funny, no one has even mentioned an issue like this on here. My car has no issues either.
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #23
JETG
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 502
I like TSP products for sure, but curious about this spring issue. Seems him and Sam have gone back and forth on stuff. This so far is 3 of us that had failures. Thankfully it did keep the valve up and didn't destroy the motors. So all in all the spring did do what it was suppose to. Just sucks they broke at all, just wonder who all else has had this issue.
JETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #24
steeleshark2


 
steeleshark2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kingsland, Ga
Posts: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETG View Post
I like TSP products for sure, but curious about this spring issue. Seems him and Sam have gone back and forth on stuff. This so far is 3 of us that had failures. Thankfully it did keep the valve up and didn't destroy the motors. So all in all the spring did do what it was suppose to. Just sucks they broke at all, just wonder who all else has had this issue.
I will be happy as long as they replace the spring and the valve is not bent. Only time will tell.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #25
DietCoke
Slow Turtle
 
DietCoke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1SS
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 1,120
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
They'll send you a replacement no questions asked. The .675 heat treated springs are better then the .650 golds (if you got the golds, it's a .650 spring, not a .675), but any spring is susceptible to imperfections.

Did the inner or outer break?
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
irpq11 has permagrin...updated with vids..... PQ Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 198 01-15-2014 12:23 AM
Superchips checking in Scott@Superchips Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission 127 10-24-2013 04:54 AM
Engine Misfire when cold, Check Engine Light TooCool5 Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 19 08-28-2013 01:07 PM
Misfire in a LS3 376camaro Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission 15 06-29-2011 03:03 PM
P0300 Misfire Code Help black-knight 4th Generation Camaros 4 02-08-2010 01:45 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.