Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
emsguy

Drives: 2012 2ss convertible
which bars?

no, not liquor bars. but I got your attention

for those of you with 1SS or 2SS convertibles, which sway bars did you get? did you also replace the end links?

also, did you lower the car? if you did, did you use the same manufacturer for the new springs and the bars?

please let me know the manufacturer and the vendor. also, are you a 1/4 mile person or a road race/autocross person?

thanks
emsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
you can do pretty much anything, i know people that did each different thing you listed, and they all loved it. just keep in mind, that it sounds fun now to have race suspension, but not so much fun on those Illinois roads. all major brands have good parts, not many suspension problems out there. just do what you like, and you cant go wrong.
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010 2SS RS RJT MN6
Pedders Sways.. They are adjustable.

No matter which away bar you go with, do the end links as well.. the stock ones are wimpy.
LPE ZR-1 twin disc Clutch, LPE rear w/3.73 gears
NHRA cert. 8.50 CM 10 point roll cage, Cobra racing Seats
Gforce 5 PT. Harnesses, MOMO steering wheel and pedals
285/35/19 Bridgestone RE-11 Tires, CCW 19X10 SP16A Wheels
315/30/18 Front, 335/30/18 Rear Hoosier tires, CCW C2K Wheels
Racing Brake Rotors, stainless lines, MT800 Brake pads
HD Rear Axles, Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Lower Control Arms
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
We have a ton of customers out there using our BMR sway bars with great success. The BMR sway bars are 3 way adjustable front and rear and can be used with either the stock endlinks or aftermarket endlinks like the BMR ones. You don't necessarily need to get the aftermarket endlinks, it just really depends on your driving style and what you want to do with the car. Either way you look at it aftermarket endlinks are considerably stronger than the factory endlinks. Here are some links to the BMR parts.

BMR 2010+ Camaro sway bars

BMR 2010+ Camaro sway bar end links
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
We have a ton of customers out there using our BMR sway bars with great success. The BMR sway bars are 3 way adjustable front and rear and can be used with either the stock endlinks or aftermarket endlinks like the BMR ones. You don't necessarily need to get the aftermarket endlinks, it just really depends on your driving style and what you want to do with the car. Either way you look at it aftermarket endlinks are considerably stronger than the factory endlinks. Here are some links to the BMR parts.

BMR 2010+ Camaro sway bars

BMR 2010+ Camaro sway bar end links
BMR sways FTW.

Apex Chase is a wealth of knowledge on suspension questions you may have.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
If I could only do one modification to a Camaro, it would be a matched set of sway bars. They really do change the entire attitude of these cars. You don't need to be a racer to feel an immediate improvement in the handling and balance of the Camaro. It's hard to remove 500 pounds from the car stock, but they do feel much lighter and easier to control after sway bars are installed.

Here is a video we took during some of our Camaro product development showing the differences before and after one of our sway bar installations.

We have packages that work on all V8 coupes and Convertibles, as well as spring and sway bar kits in one package.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsguy View Post

for those of you with 1SS or 2SS convertibles, which sway bars did you get? did you also replace the end links?

also, did you lower the car? if you did, did you use the same manufacturer for the new springs and the bars?

please let me know the manufacturer and the vendor. also, are you a 1/4 mile person or a road race/autocross person?

thanks
I don't drive the convertible, but my 2SS is lowered and running on Pfadt coilovers and sport sway bars. Don't bother changing sway bars without upgrading the endlinks and center links, you're just wasting your money IMHO. With Pfadt's latest endlinks there is no noise at all and you get the benefits and performance of solid heim joints.
BMR adjustable toe-rods. Pedders ZL1 barz, rear cradle inserts, radius arm & steering rack bushings.
Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace (minus tunnel cross-over piece for SCCA rules)
1LE 3.91 gearzzz. Drive Shaft Shop Road Race Axle Upgrade. TurnOne power steering pump.
Forgeline GA3-R 19x11 + Hoosier R6 315/30R19
426 HP @ 5550 RPM / 427 TQ @ 4700 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Maybe that is why Pedders sway bars include endlinks
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:

thanks

EMSGuy – What are you planning on doing with your Camaro? What else have you done to your car? Have you already lowered your convertible to improve handling with spring rate and lowered center of gravity? We just finished a 6 month R&D program on the Convertible platform and have achieved great results with bracing and our Hotchkis TVS kit. In fact, Trish Byrd has been competing in autocross events with her convertible with great success, winning her class at the last Super Chevy show in Vegas. Our kits are designed for maximum performance on the street, with a balance between a lowered stance, sports car handling and a comfy ride. They are tuned to work great on the autocross and road course as well, and our bracing radically improves traction in the ¼ mile, which is why Lingenfelter Performance puts our chassis brace on every Camaro they build, including the world’s fastest and quickest 5th Gen. But most importantly, our parts make good street cars into great street cars.

Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
i daily drive the pedders solution b sway bar kit with end links and i must say it has made the car more comfortable over bumpy roads. driving in nyc the roads are horrible i noticed a major improvement in the way the car rides over them. the performance aspect of them i can not say enough about. i have a problem going slow in the car because at high speeds the car is so agile and comfortable. another bonus is there gmpp and they come with great end links. not saying the other bars are not good i know the other companies have great reps but for me the only choice is Pedders!!!
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
i daily drive the pedders solution b sway bar kit with end links and i must say it has made the car more comfortable over bumpy roads. driving in nyc the roads are horrible i noticed a major improvement in the way the car rides over them. the performance aspect of them i can not say enough about. i have a problem going slow in the car because at high speeds the car is so agile and comfortable. another bonus is there gmpp and they come with great end links. not saying the other bars are not good i know the other companies have great reps but for me the only choice is Pedders!!!
And 3Js of course!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

thanks pete!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
emsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
EMSGuy – What are you planning on doing with your Camaro? What else have you done to your car? Have you already lowered your convertible to improve handling with spring rate and lowered center of gravity? We just finished a 6 month R&D program on the Convertible platform and have achieved great results with bracing and our Hotchkis TVS kit. In fact, Trish Byrd has been competing in autocross events with her convertible with great success, winning her class at the last Super Chevy show in Vegas. Our kits are designed for maximum performance on the street, with a balance between a lowered stance, sports car handling and a comfy ride. They are tuned to work great on the autocross and road course as well, and our bracing radically improves traction in the ¼ mile, which is why Lingenfelter Performance puts our chassis brace on every Camaro they build, including the world’s fastest and quickest 5th Gen. But most importantly, our parts make good street cars into great street cars.

I am looking for a balanced and controlled street ride. I am coming out of a 2008 C6 Z51 vette and would like as close a setup to that as possible. I understand that the Camaro, with over 1000 lbs more curb weight and a higher center of gravity, will never be a corvette. I live in the Chicago area, so potholes are a problem. I used to race SCCA (IT) so I like a car that handles in all areas of the friction circle, not just accelleration.

to sum it up - I want a ride that is responsive but not punishing. I hope I am not asking for too much.

I searched the Hotchkis website but could not find a TVS kit for the Camaro. what am I missing?

thanks for your help
Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

@emsguy i owned a c5 vette my self so i know how you feel. if you are looking for a complete kit that will be as good if not better than your z06 check out the pedders pace car package that kit by far will please your needs and will handle the pot holes well and give you the race car feel too and be nice on the streets.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
emsguy

Quote:
@emsguy i owned a c5 vette my self so i know how you feel. if you are looking for a complete kit that will be as good if not better than your z06 check out the pedders pace car package that kit by far will please your needs and will handle the pot holes well and give you the race car feel too and be nice on the streets.
I will. thanks for the tip. where are you on Long Island? I grew up in Baldwin. small world.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #16
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
I am looking for a balanced and controlled street ride. I am coming out of a 2008 C6 Z51 vette and would like as close a setup to that as possible. I understand that the Camaro, with over 1000 lbs more curb weight and a higher center of gravity, will never be a corvette. I live in the Chicago area, so potholes are a problem. I used to race SCCA (IT) so I like a car that handles in all areas of the friction circle, not just accelleration.

to sum it up - I want a ride that is responsive but not punishing. I hope I am not asking for too much.
With SCCA background and being accustomed to a C6 Vette you will want to change the bar bias substantially. We use a 27mm solid up front with a 32mm solid rear. Why solid, to get the strength with the constraints of the chassis. Both the front and rear bars are adjustable as are the endlinks packaged with the bars.

Your vert came with an improved, but still voided set of subframe bushes. The bushes were changed to reduce rear end step out and improve launch. They can be further improved with a set of sub-frame bush inserts. The urethane fills the remaining voids to increase sub-frame stability and reduce rear end step out.

Up front, the liquid filled radius bushes allow significant dynamic caster changes. This is easily addresses with a set of urethane radius bush inserts. When the radius arm is more stable your steering feel will improve.

Now comes the tough part. You live in Chicago. Great city, great food and my home town. It also has some less than perfect stretches of road. Lowering with soils will reduce your jounce travel in GM speak. The free space between the bumpstop and damper. Some suggest cutting the stop to gain jounce travel, but that too is a compromise. Do we discard the progressive tip or the protective base? We have so many satisfied coil installations that it pains me to say this. No matter what lowering coils you install the ride quality is compromised in almost direct proportion to the handling gains. Being satisfied with lowering coils is a function of local road conditions and your expectations.

Pedders coilovers adjust height by screwing into and out of the lower mount. The spring perch and precompression of the coil remain the same. One other item remains unchanged -- jounce travel. Drop it on the ground or close to OE height jounce travel (read as ride quality) is unchanged.

There are a number of high quality suspension companies on Camaro5. We like to think we are one of them. You will rarely find Pedders parts on sale. We do have a package on sale in very limited quantity. We have changed the way we attach lateral locks to our sway bars. The Pace Car Packages we have on sale use our old style clamp on lateral locks. In terms of function, there is no difference between the 'old' bars and 'new' bars. We found these clamp style bars mixed in with our new style. To avoid any confusion we pulled them out of stock and created this special. I think we have three left.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172337
Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
I have LSR bars..their customer service is unrivaled, the bars did wonders for me..they are chromoly too..and adjustable...in all respect pedders and pfadt also make excellent stuff and have excellent staff. I had a budget so i went with lsr, a bit less expensive but i think just as good. my 2 cents
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #18
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Quote:
I will. thanks for the tip. where are you on Long Island? I grew up in Baldwin. small world.
2 towns to the east =) . I'm doing merrick to brooklyn everyday hitting the ssp, cross island, northern/ gcp or lie every day so you definitely know the roads i travel
Old 09-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #19
emsguy

Quote:
2 towns to the east =) . I'm doing merrick to brooklyn everyday hitting the ssp, cross island, northern/ gcp or lie every day so you definitely know the roads i travel
wow. I'm homesick. have a nathan's hot dog for me. chicago has great pizza, but you can't get a decent hot dog for love or money. they boil them, then put on cucumbers and tomatoes. no wonder they have losing sports teams.

thanks again for the great info on the bars.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #20
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
Quote:
holy shit we travel the same areas...so when know pot holes and train track streets !!! lol
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #21
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:

I searched the Hotchkis website but could not find a TVS kit for the Camaro. what am I missing?

thanks for your help

Emsguy – You’re not asking for too much. If you want the closest thing to what you just described without being punished while driving on the street, we’ve got what you’re looking for and they can be purchased separately. We just haven’t put them into a single kit form yet. This way you can purchase only the parts you want.

Here’s the link to the Convertible 5th gen page

http://www.hotchkis.net/search.html?...mitForm=Search
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #22
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Quote:
wow. I'm homesick. have a nathan's hot dog for me. chicago has great pizza, but you can't get a decent hot dog for love or money. they boil them, then put on cucumbers and tomatoes. no wonder they have losing sports teams.

thanks again for the great info on the bars.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm NATHANS MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:droo l::drool : : drool:
sorry got over excited there lol
Old 09-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #23
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipimpthisc View Post
holy shit we travel the same areas...so when know pot holes and train track streets !!! lol
yes i do and my pedders parts eat them up.. i did an install for a brooklyn guy who goes to jfk every day and he loves his camaro that much more after getting a pedders bushing and bar upgrade
Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #24
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
LSR bars and Pfadt end links. Best thing I've done for the suspension so far.
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #25
emsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkis View Post
Emsguy – You’re not asking for too much. If you want the closest thing to what you just described without being punished while driving on the street, we’ve got what you’re looking for and they can be purchased separately. We just haven’t put them into a single kit form yet. This way you can purchase only the parts you want.

Here’s the link to the Convertible 5th gen page

http://www.hotchkis.net/search.html?...mitForm=Search
thanks. but over $1,000 for bars and end links is more than I wanted to spend.