Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Thumbs down Hawk HPS pads squeeking?

Hey everyone.
I got some Hawk HPS pads installed on my SS about a month ago. They were fine until about maybe a week ago I get this god awful squeek when I gradually come to a stop. When I'm braking from about 9-6 mph I get this whistle/squeek sound coming from the brakes. Its almost exactly like how it sounded when my stock pads were worn down. I had the rotors turned too when they installed and I know they put the pads on because I checked out the brakes before I paid and left the shop. Anyone else having squeeking issues with Hawk pads? Its seriously loud like people walking will turn their heads when I'm stopping. Its embarrasing.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
So take it back to the shop that installed them What do they say?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
So take it back to the shop that installed them What do they say?
I plan on doing this soon. I unfortunately don't have time until the weekend, which is why I'm asking if anyone else had this same issue.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
high performance brake pads make noise. They also wear faster and create more dust. The better your stopping power the louder and dirtier your brakes will be.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Hawk Cermic Pads...No noise and Low Dust........But they do sound a little diffarent ...But they work better !!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
high performance brake pads make noise. They also wear faster and create more dust. The better your stopping power the louder and dirtier your brakes will be.
The pads claim against these event happening though. The website I bought them from states:

"Features

•Increased stopping power
•High friction/torque hot or cold
•Gentle on rotors
•Extended pad life
•Low dust
•Virtually noise-free"

I don't know if this is a manufacture quote or a vendor quote. The vendor is a forum sponsor.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I checked out the Hawk website and what you quoted was correct. So my mistake for jumping the gun on you. The only thing that I can think of is that the shop either didn't turn the rotors when they installed the pads. The other option is that you just need to set the pads really good.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I checked out the Hawk website and what you quoted was correct. So my mistake for jumping the gun on you. The only thing that I can think of is that the shop either didn't turn the rotors when they installed the pads. The other option is that you just need to set the pads really good.
Yes, now that I read more into the site. I didn't perfom the settings. I'll try this on my way home today and see if it helps.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
um....looking at putting some of these on mine

This thread has several posts about how to / importance of setting / bedding the pads:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112246

>>stock pads were worn down.

How many miles did you have on your stock pads when you replaced them?

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod View Post
um....looking at putting some of these on mine

This thread has several posts about how to / importance of setting / bedding the pads:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112246

>>stock pads were worn down.

How many miles did you have on your stock pads when you replaced them?
There we go. I'm going to do what this guy expains in the video today when I get off work. That was what I forgot to do. I had about 35k on the car when I replaced my pads. I don't stop hard and I mostly drive on the freeway so my brakes lasted a while I guess.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Gotcha - Thanks for the info!

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2012 Silverado LTZ
I installed the Hawk Ceramic pads to get away from the brake dust. I've haven't had any problems at all with them.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
if you didn't bed/break them in properly, you will have the noise you are hearing now. Also, like someone above said, performance (hard) pads will squeak now and then.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #14
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
I just had the same pads installed. Took it on the highway and set them, haven't had any noise and it seems like the more often you break hard, the better they work
Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 AM   #15
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: Black 2SS/RS 2014; JK Wrangler 2011
Guys from my experience I can tell you that the squeak is caused by dirt so you only need to clean the rotors with a brake cleaner spray and water pressure!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #16
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Well its official. These brake pads are garbage.

I bedded the brakes as specified on the box and they still squeek.
The squeek is so loud and annoying that I've had to ALTER how I drive to avoid hearing it.
I took my car yesterday to the shop I always go to, that also installed the pads and said they were FINE. They took off the pads and even showed them to me and said they don't know why they squeek. They were a little dirty but nothing out of the ordinary. When they were installed they turned my rotors too.

I can make about 3-4 normal stops in traffic and then the squeek starts and its loud. People look at me like "S*** go get your brakes done!" The only way I don't hear it is if I stop harder than normal. And significantly harder. I mean stopping like I wasn't paying attention and had to stop suddenly. Thats not normal driving.

These damn pads squeek louder than the stock pads did when they were worn down. I guess I'm saving up now to buy new pads because I cannot stand this. I'm going to call the actual manufacturer later and see what they say, but you know what? These pads have been on my car since August so I'm probably S O L. wASTE OF $220.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #17
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2012 Silverado LTZ
I used Kawk #HB194Z-570 & HB453Z-585. These are the Performance Ceramic Pads. Not the High Performance Street Pads. No noise at all from them.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #18
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE Ashen Grey
I have the Hawk HPS brake pads and they only squeek occasionally. When they start doing it, I just get the car going about 40 MPH and then hammer the brakes, repeat, repeat again and it stops squeeking. I know the guys with slotted rotors have less issue with this because they are constantly scuffing/cleaning the pads on the slots. Sorry you're having issues with, they work fine for me.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #19
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I have the Hawk HPS brake pads and they only squeek occasionally. When they start doing it, I just get the car going about 40 MPH and then hammer the brakes, repeat, repeat again and it stops squeeking. I know the guys with slotted rotors have less issue with this because they are constantly scuffing/cleaning the pads on the slots. Sorry you're having issues with, they work fine for me.
It just pisses me of because they claim the pads produce "virtually no noise".
Old 10-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
jamesc1123

Drives: CGM 2SS RS w/ white stripes
Like has already been said, if you want better braking, it comes with its side effects. Here's a few other things that might help bring down the noise though:
Gob on the anti-squeal compound
brake caliper weights may have fallen off
the caliper mounting bolts are torque to yield and are supposed to be replaced each time the caliper is removed.
I have HP+ pads and have a little squeaking, I put the anti-squeal on there and it made it more bearable. They warn that HP+ will be noisier though. I haven't tried the other parts though...
Old 10-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #21
Merc
COTW 12/5/11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM
I have the same pads and they squeak from time to time. The price you pay for better braking. BTW I had to take off the brake caliper weights to fit my Bogarts on.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #22
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
I used Kawk #HB194Z-570 & HB453Z-585. These are the Performance Ceramic Pads. Not the High Performance Street Pads. No noise at all from them.
I have these...and they squeak like hell...guess what ...the price to pay for low dirt and high stoppin power
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #23
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipimpthisc View Post
I have these...and they squeak like hell...guess what ...the price to pay for low dirt and high stoppin power
I agree 100%... but they shouldn't advertise that it is "low dust and virtually noise free"
Performance: 439 RWHP A6: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, FTI Converter, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Appearance:Smoked side markers and black bowties. Blk / Blue Carbon Fiber interior trim.

Next in order: F14s, 3.70 gears, DSS Axles, End links/Toe rods/trailing arms, Ported heads, S/C.

1100 7/02 Ordered
3800 8/09 Order produced
4200 8/13 Shipped
6000 8/24 HOME!
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #24
ya boy willz

Drives: 2011 IOM LS, 2011 CGM LS
That's very odd to hear. I have Hawk HPS pads all around with Slotted rotors on the 4th gen and there's no Squeaking at all when braking as well as on my Eclipse where I have them in the front and same thing no squeaking at all.

I will say that there's a sort of like clunking noise when you let go of the brakes after being stopped, but it's only noticeable if you have your radio completely off. I did bed them in properly though on the 4th gen and the eclipse ehhh kind of.

Have you tried slapping a bunch of anti-squeal compound on there? I got the red stuff in a bottle from Auto Zone and filled in the back of the pads completely (it may look kind of retarded but shoot I have no squeaks and it's a daily driver).

Edit: As for dusting they dust just about the same as any other pads in my opinion but it's a much lighter dusting if that makes sense. Like with my previous pads I'd have to scrub the dust off hard if it had been sitting for a while. With the Hawk HPS pads I can just spray water and wipe away.

It could also be a problem with their version of these pads for the 5th gen (I'm still riding on the stock pads/rotors), although if other owners don't have the same problem you could've messed them up or you could have gotten a bad set

2011 CGM LS- Injen CAI, Vmax Ported TB, Vmax Black Ice O'Lator, Carbon Fiber Bowties, Carbon Fiber Gills, Factory Spoiler, Stock SS Exhaust w/ Magnaflow x-pipe welded in & stock muffler delete, Miro 112 18x8.5 +35
ya boy willz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #25
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
The shop where you had them done should of had the car ready for you when you picked the car up or at least told you what to do.
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote