Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Gib

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, RJT 04 Silverado
Transmission Cooler

Does anyone know if the SS with automatic tranny comes with an external transmission fluid cooler? I have tried several searches, but have not found any info on this. Thanks,
Old 04-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Why yes it does, it also has an oil cooler
Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
All SS's come standard with both transmission and oil coolers.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
If you're worried about it, you could probably add a B&M Supercooler (or similar) in-line too. I have a pair of 24Ks on my '02 and they work great. My car has never gotten above 180*, even after passes on the track.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I am waiting for the service manuals to be released to public but I think it's just the integrated coolers in the radiator. There is a main and aux electric fan. Will have to look at manual or if someone else knows if there is another cooler.

If it's like I said above then the key is just keeping the coolant cool. Else all 3 get hot.

An important note is that in the future past 100,000 miles NEVER use any other replacment radiator than Delphi original. otherwise the coolers blow, the lines don't line up etc, (corvette lessons learned).
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
I am waiting for the service manuals to be released to public but I think it's just the integrated coolers in the radiator. There is a main and aux electric fan. Will have to look at manual or if someone else knows if there is another cooler.

If it's like I said above then the key is just keeping the coolant cool. Else all 3 get hot.

An important note is that in the future past 100,000 miles NEVER use any other replacment radiator than Delphi original. otherwise the coolers blow, the lines don't line up etc, (corvette lessons learned).
I would say that is good advise for any repairs. I am a firm believer in using OEM replacement parts even if they are more expensive. I've been burned before trying to save a buck by getting "compatible" parts that don't have good QA practices at the Mfg. or just don't last as long. Since I have been using OEM parts, my repairs have been solid. I learned my lesson on my wife's Envoy that needed struts and shocks. I went to Merchant's Tire close by and failed to tell them I wanted OEM equipment installed and instead they put on this popular branded stuff telling me it was a step up and better quality. Now it rides like a damn truck when it used to ride like a Cadillac the whole time we've had it. My kidneys feel every bump in the road now. Should have had them put on the same parts the car was engineered to use in the first place. Say what you want but it's OEM for my vehicles from now on.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
with the new stall i have i will be adding a large trans cooler to mine also.
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
I would say that is good advise for any repairs. I am a firm believer in using OEM replacement parts even if they are more expensive. I've been burned before trying to save a buck by getting "compatible" parts that don't have good QA practices at the Mfg. or just don't last as long. Since I have been using OEM parts, my repairs have been solid. I learned my lesson on my wife's Envoy that needed struts and shocks. I went to Merchant's Tire close by and failed to tell them I wanted OEM equipment installed and instead they put on this popular branded stuff telling me it was a step up and better quality. Now it rides like a damn truck when it used to ride like a Cadillac the whole time we've had it. My kidneys feel every bump in the road now. Should have had them put on the same parts the car was engineered to use in the first place. Say what you want but it's OEM for my vehicles from now on.
I've had good luck and bad luck with both while working at a dealer and bodyshop for ten-plus years. I'll say that most of the time, OEM parts were superior, but there were times when aftermarket were just as good, and even had a better written warranty. Shocks are those funny things where unless you get specific OEM shocks for your suspension (a lot of vehicles have more than one set-up - i.e. trucks have Z66, Z71, etc.) and I totally agree that aftermarket shocks can completely change the ride of a given car. However, GM doesn't make these shocks. I've seen Bilsteins on GM cars, Ranchos on Ford trucks, Tokicos on Toyotas, so there are specific tuning that manufacturers use in getting the ride in the vehicle the way they think it should be. Not all aftermarket parts are bad though

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
with the new stall i have i will be adding a large trans cooler to mine also.
That's the best thing to do. I'll tell you, that it took me almost a month to control my tranny temps' to a range I was comfortable with. I used to be able to get the temperature to 200* in traffic and when I was done finalizing placement of the coolers, it wouldn't go more that about 175* in the same conditions. An external cooler would be ideal for this car, stock, and if in conjunction with an internal cooler should probably prove to be good for a stock stall. Like you, though, with a bigger stall, a bigger cooler wouldn't hurt at all. I'd keep that internal cooler in the loop though. A lot of racers say the 4L60s shouldn't be raced when the temps' go above 200* or-so; I'm not sure about these 6L80s, but I'd play it safe and make sure it has an external cooler, with a gauge, just for safety.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote