Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #113
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years
 
ParisTNDude's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet red 2016 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, TN
Posts: 2,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Gen V = 5th generation Chevy small block V8, successor to the gen IV family which began with the LS2
I didn't see your reference to the generation of the engine, only your mistaken identity of the series of Corvettes?????
__________________
2016 Camaro 2SS, Garnet Red Metalic, 8A, NPP, Nav, Sun Roof, upgraded silver wheels, lit door sills, Ash gray interior.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto
2002 C5 Corvette 6M
2006 Corvette Auto
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #114
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,221
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I didn't see your reference to the generation of the engine, only your mistaken identity of the series of Corvettes?????
I never specified any generation of Corvettes
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #115
flopjack
 
flopjack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
That should be absolutely correct, Camaro SS should get base Vette engine, I would expect a Camaro Z/28 to get something else.
Clyde
It is certainly possible. I think we've seen a new V8 in mid-generation on the Camaros in the past. The thing is there is no engine that clearly fits the Z/28 mold at this moment, so all we can do is speculate. It could be an LS7, but that engine series is nearing the end of its life span. It could be a new small block, and it could be a yet to be announced LS8? Right now, we really don't know. The SS could keep the current LS3 through the end of the generation, or it could go straight to the new Vette engine. Is GM likely to implement the new engine immediately in all applications? If not, then I could see the LS3 SS remaining and a Z/28 recieving the new V8, or even the LS7. Otherwise, we have a 475 hp SS and still no clear cut Z/28 engine, and no engine that has been announced as of yet for the ZL1. So many possibilities...
__________________
You may never have to outrun a Decepticon invasion...
...it's just nice to know you can!
flopjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #116
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years
 
ParisTNDude's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet red 2016 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, TN
Posts: 2,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by flopjack View Post
It is certainly possible. I think we've seen a new V8 in mid-generation on the Camaros in the past. The thing is there is no engine that clearly fits the Z/28 mold at this moment, so all we can do is speculate. It could be an LS7, but that engine series is nearing the end of its life span. It could be a new small block, and it could be a yet to be announced LS8? Right now, we really don't know. The SS could keep the current LS3 through the end of the generation, or it could go straight to the new Vette engine. Is GM likely to implement the new engine immediately in all applications? If not, then I could see the LS3 SS remaining and a Z/28 recieving the new V8, or even the LS7. Otherwise, we have a 475 hp SS and still no clear cut Z/28 engine, and no engine that has been announced as of yet for the ZL1. So many possibilities...
Ok...not exactly sure what C5 and C7 meant in your post, but that's ok, I understand what you meant.
__________________
2016 Camaro 2SS, Garnet Red Metalic, 8A, NPP, Nav, Sun Roof, upgraded silver wheels, lit door sills, Ash gray interior.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto
2002 C5 Corvette 6M
2006 Corvette Auto
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #117
flopjack
 
flopjack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Ok...not exactly sure what C5 and C7 meant in your post, but that's ok, I understand what you meant.
It was meant as 5th Generation Camaro and 7th Generation Corvette...yup very confusing. My bad.
__________________
You may never have to outrun a Decepticon invasion...
...it's just nice to know you can!
flopjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #118
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
...which supports a rant of mine since the Gen-5 Camaro arrived...

C5 = MY 1997 to 2004 CORVETTES (EIGHT Model Years, btw...)

Gen-5 Camaros = MY 2010-and-up CAMAROS...likely to be with us through MY '15...

1993 to 2002 Camaros are NOT referred to as C4s are they?! But 1984-1996 Vettes ARE...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #119
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
What's the only advantage of a Gen-5 SBC @ 475 hp, over a Gen-4 LS7 SBC @ 505? Fuel economy...which won't be important until CAFE '16, and the then-new Gen-6 Camaro's birthing date...with its "all-new" Gen-5 SBC...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #120
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
...which supports a rant of mine since the Gen-5 Camaro arrived...

C5 = MY 1997 to 2004 CORVETTES (EIGHT Model Years, btw...)

Gen-5 Camaros = MY 2010-and-up CAMAROS...likely to be with us through MY '15...

1993 to 2002 Camaros are NOT referred to as C4s are they?! But 1984-1996 Vettes ARE...
Then add in the confusion of Gen4 and Gen5 SBC!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #121
Cam#7

 
Cam#7's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 864
Well, I think we're all starting to agree somewhat that the newer 5.5 DI is going to find it's way into a Camaro. That the Z28 should be lighter in the front end with no superchargers or turbos. That the Gen6 is probably going to happen in the 2016MY (maybe 2015MY) because of the new 2015 Mustang.

GM has pitted the SS against the Z28 (and vice versa) before. It'll depend on the pricing of the Z28, but one of the goals is probably to get current SS owners wanting to trade up to the Z28. I don't think anyone believes the Z28 will be cheaper than the SS.
__________________
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #122
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
No one ever suggested/expected a ZEE to be less than an SS in any manner...including price...

Look at the BOSS...there's your target...which happens to be in a location that is more (in every way) than an SS, and less than a ZL1 in price and "halo"...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #123
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
Well, I think we're all starting to agree somewhat that the newer 5.5 DI is going to find it's way into a Camaro. That the Z28 should be lighter in the front end with no superchargers or turbos. That the Gen6 is probably going to happen in the 2016MY (maybe 2015MY) because of the new 2015 Mustang.

GM has pitted the SS against the Z28 (and vice versa) before. It'll depend on the pricing of the Z28, but one of the goals is probably to get current SS owners wanting to trade up to the Z28. I don't think anyone believes the Z28 will be cheaper than the SS.
Uhhhh no.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #124
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
O' hell no!!
We're getting the ZL1 crowd now.
My Z28 brother I do believe you are correct. The as of yet unannounced price of the ZL1 has scared them to our Z28 threads as predicted. That being said the more the better. Enough screams heard by GM for the Z28 can only help.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:08 AM   #125
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut
 
boxmonkeyracing's Avatar
 
Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: kenly, nc
Posts: 3,343
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
What's the only advantage of a Gen-5 SBC @ 475 hp, over a Gen-4 LS7 SBC @ 505? Fuel economy...which won't be important until CAFE '16, and the then-new Gen-6 Camaro's birthing date...with its "all-new" Gen-5 SBC...
speaking from a strick mod potential. . .the Gen 5 motor will be able to handle more boost/funny gas and probably will take better to mods. start with the best base possible.

ls7 with a lot of boost = boom. 0r a really high shot of funny gas. . . quite frankly the thin walls on the ls7 scare me to never mod it beyond a cam and LT headers.

with a 6.2L DI I will start out with more power then an LS7 and quit possibly be able to end with more power with the same type of mods.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #126
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
A 475 hp Gen-5 "LT1" SBC making more power than a 505 hp LS7?! Huh?

Boosting an LS7: For those so inclined, Edelbrock seems to be doing a fine job with their E-Force kit, and "word on the street" is good among the Vette-set. Knowing your limits, and staying within them, is a good thing...

But "boost" is not something the diehard ZEE-fan seems to be seeking...give us a well-tuned n/a revver!...or we'd be all over the ZL1 ...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002 Z28 dtm4192 Member Car Journals 40 06-13-2012 08:41 AM
SS vs Z. Why?? Not another Z28 Thread!! Just curious. TRIXXTERR General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 29 01-21-2011 09:27 AM
I specially ordered a Z28! (unlike all of you) 496BIGBLOCK Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 70 01-02-2011 01:44 PM
Bob Lutz interview radz28 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 113 08-28-2008 01:30 PM
Z28 - Please try and understand..... GTAHVIT Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 73 07-24-2008 12:30 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.