Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 10-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Clutch problems? Me too - they fixed it...worse

I've read a lot about the clutch sticking problems on here and elsewhere and admit that I'm still a little confused (I'm not a mechanic type). I too have this issue and see that many others have also.

I first noticed my sticking clutch during high rpm shifts merely a week or so after I got my car almost two years ago. At first it seemed random and I couldn't replicate it. It totally weirded me out when it happened, though.

Over the next few months, I became really aware of this problem and that my clutch would stick when I was racing down country roads and having fun with my car in the way it was intended.

I casually inquired about the clutch-sticking prob with Chevy a few times and really didn't get any kind of good answer.

Finally, though, last week, I decided to officially have it looked at. I heard there was a service bulletin about sticking clutches and thought they might be able to fix it.

At first, the mechanic wasn't able to replicate the problem. They applied the service bulletin "fix" (which mostly seems to blame the problem on people not understanding how to use launch control).

I had hoped this fix was good...but...nope. The problem is worse. The next day, I did a few back road tests and realized that my clutch is even stickier than before. I barely have to run it and it sticks to the floor. I let my friend borrow the car next day and he reported that the clutch stuck to the floor while on interstate. He was unfamiliar with the problem so it totally freaked him out (I should've thought to mention it to him, but I never expected it to happen during very calm driving conditions).

While my dealership is pretty nice, I fully expect Chevy is not going to own this problem - at least that's the vibe I'm getting from reading other people's experiences.

So....I believe I had a serious problem, took it to get fix, they applied the "official" repair, and now it's much worse than it was before.

Other than going out and buying an entire aftermarket clutch system, what options do you think are available?

To tell you the truth, I went shopping for a Rubicon tonight. I'm a little frustrated.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
There is nothing to adjust on the master cylinder. No idea what that document could have said to do.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

They said something about tightening it
Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
They're full of shit... there is nothing to tighten on a hydraulic cylinder, and it's just a captured end that snaps onto a ball on the clutch pedal. Nothing to adjust or tighten.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

They also metioned the possibility that the spring was heating up and becoming less responsive and therefore sticking....dunno. I'd like to have taken a look on the inside -- I'm more of a sportbike guy than a car guy.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

So I spent a bit of time yesterday looking at Wranglers. I really wish I could get a Wrangler and keep the 2SS. I REALLY love the Camaro and have a lot of fun in it....but I think the clutch situation just kinda depressed me a little.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
Tell them to change out your brake fluid... that helps the problem a lot. You can do it yourself but if you spill that stuff on your paint it eats it up quick!

There's also a thread about seperating the clutch and brake reservoirs:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34085
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Thanks...I've actually done that three times in the last 20,000 miles because I was curious and wanted to see if it would help. I considered changing the manual transmission fluid as well, but don't have a good work space to do it myself and I'm not 100% sure it'd be helpful anyway (unlikely, I think, actually).

There was a great how-to vid on YouTube involving a Corvette. I wish I could find it again as the demonstration was really interesting.

So far, after changing the fluid, I've not really noticed a significant difference. I am, however, probably gonna change it again later today just as a last resort.

Again, the problem hasn't really been a *problem* for normal, boring in-the-city driving conditions. The sticky clutch issue is usually only apparent in more spirited driving -- except when it happened to my friend last Friday on the interstate (that incident dramatically increased my concern). With that said, I did indeed buy the car for such spirited driving. If I wanted an unspirited car, I would've found myself in a Smart Car with a 0-60 in three minutes
Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Oh...this would be said video....

Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
BigCarrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenburg View Post
Again, the problem hasn't really been a *problem* for normal, boring in-the-city driving conditions. The sticky clutch issue is usually only apparent in more spirited driving -- except when it happened to my friend last Friday on the interstate (that incident dramatically increased my concern). With that said, I did indeed buy the car for such spirited driving. If I wanted an unspirited car, I would've found myself in a Smart Car with a 0-60 in three minutes

It's a huge concern for me as well if that ever happens to me on the highway I'm raising hell with GM that's not a small problem. That's a huge safety problem.
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCarrot View Post
It's a huge concern for me as well if that ever happens to me on the highway I'm raising hell with GM that's not a small problem. That's a huge safety problem.
How long have you been raising hell with them and what kind of progress have you made?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Brandenburg, I'm sorry to hear your dealer has been so far unsuccessful in getting these issues addressed. Have you spoken with our Customer Assistance team in regards to this issue? Also are you using the Launch Control system when this issue occurs? Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Brandenburg, I'm sorry to hear your dealer has been so far unsuccessful in getting these issues addressed. Have you spoken with our Customer Assistance team in regards to this issue? Also are you using the Launch Control system when this issue occurs? Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
I'm not using the launch control system when this is happening....and I wouldn't say that the dealership is being uncooperative. In fact, I believe they actually care about my problem. I just suspect that, due to no official policy from GM, their hands are tied and they are without solution.

I do understand the "launch control problem." However, I'm quite familiar with my car and really do not believe that I am at fault. The mechanic was able to experience the problem, but when the papers were turned in after the work was done, the dealership notes said they were unable to replicate the problem (which was weird).

I have another appointment with them on Thur. I told them that if they couldn't fix the issue, perhaps they could "unfix" their repair work and at least put it back to where it was before they messed with it. At least this way, it would be better than it is now during post-repair.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

oh...and no....I've not spoken to anyone other than the dealership so far. I've simply been busy and have not had the time to fully press the issue. I posted here primarily to get a better feel for what other people are experiencing.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
BigCarrot

I haven't had the problem but if I do it will have to be fixed or I'll just won't want the car. I mean who makes a car where you can't operate it through all of the RPM Range? I top end RPM shift up onto the highway all the time and if my clutch wont come back that's a serious Safety problem!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #16
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Quote:
I haven't had the problem but if I do it will have to be fixed or I'll just won't want the car. I mean who makes a car where you can't operate it through all of the RPM Range? I top end RPM shift up onto the highway all the time and if my clutch wont come back that's a serious Safety problem!

I understand that. Because I figure GM is not going to address the problem (based on the many threads I've seen on this forum and elsewhere), I'm in hot pursuit of trading it for a Rubicon which I'll keep for a few years and then check back in with Chevy at a later date.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:12 AM   #17
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Quote:
So you haven't experienced this issue at all during spirited back road driving? I think I was under the (false??) assumption that they pretty much all behaved in this manner during consist high rpm shifting.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #18
BigCarrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenburg View Post
So you haven't experienced this issue at all during spirited back road driving? I think I was under the (false??) assumption that they pretty much all behaved in this manner during consist high rpm shifting.
Not every vehicle. You rarely see posts about how someone's car has no problems. When I started reading all this I make sure that when I do a high rpm shift if the trans is fighting me I don't just slam it into gear. Because I honestly don't want to fight the dealership over this issue . If it happens it happens but I'm being proactive in doing the best I can to not have a problem come up.

It's definately Notchy though. 1-2 isn't what I would call smooth but no grinding yet. I've had hop out but never grinded a gear
Old 10-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
JerseyMonte

Drives: 1972 Z28
I have had all the driveline problems possible with my 2010 SS/RS and went through all the dealer BS, final solution, traded it on a Boss 302.
JerseyMonte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, sticking clutch