Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-02-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
water spots..

I cant get the rinse water off my car fast enough...I can water it down and wipe it off as soon as possible and it leaves water spots...wtf is that about?

as soon as the car comes back fro touching up the damage caused by small rocks Ill be clay baring and Adams'ing my car..

thoughts..

its a black car...
Old 04-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Clay bar, polish if needed, and seal/wax and it should be good to go

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:07 PM   #3
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2RSS 1LE
I have the same problem, it's really bad. My problem is well water with a very high amount of dissolved solids. So you may have hard, mineral rich water.
bkevind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
wally mayfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
I have the same problem, it's really bad. My problem is well water with a very high amount of dissolved solids. So you may have hard, mineral rich water.
exactly what I have....
Old 04-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
Black_SS10

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
I suffer from hard water as well. I usually can catch it after drying and following up with a quick detail spray. If they are still there you can use white distilled vinegar. Spray it on and wipe off. You may have to let it dwell for a few seconds. The vinegar will dissolve the hard water spots and you should be able to wipe them away.
'10 2SS/RS 6M, Blacked out lights/headlight armor, Technostalgia tail lights, MGW short shifter, Vararam tuned intake, JDP Clutch Reservoir, Elite catch can, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, Kooks HFC, Flowmaster Outlaw catback, VMAX Thottle body, SCTX4/Tuned by DynoSteve, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Pegasus subframe bushings, BMR trailing and toe arms, Z28 upper control arm bushings, FE4/Zl1 rear sway bar, Prothane radius arm inserts, BMR steering rack bushing, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Ridetech HQ level 2 coilovers, 1LE diffuser, SSclones, 20in CCW 505A, Pilot super sports...more in the future.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I'd suggest hitting up forums like Adams, autogeek, or chemical guys. Adams soap or any good, true car soap will help and you want to be sure to leave it all soapy and wet and rinse all at once. In the sun is a no no, particularly with black. A must of detail spray prior to drying helps. A good layer of wax helps. Some go as far as a water softner or RO filter for washing, but that would be tye extreme. Plenty of smaller fish to fry with techniques first. Good luck!
chef-beavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
bkevind

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
I'd suggest hitting up forums like Adams, autogeek, or chemical guys. Adams soap or any good, true car soap will help and you want to be sure to leave it all soapy and wet and rinse all at once. In the sun is a no no, particularly with black. A must of detail spray prior to drying helps. A good layer of wax helps. Some go as far as a water softner or RO filter for washing, but that would be tye extreme. Plenty of smaller fish to fry with techniques first. Good luck!
I've got a nice water softener system for the house water, so I wash the car with that, and the water spots are less horrible but still there.

It dries so fast, and leaves minerals behind. I don't think any product will help with that (my TDS > 1000).

I'm thinking about going for a large RO system for the whole house.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:42 PM   #8
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Do you have a whole-house filter for the sediment?
chef-beavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:59 AM   #9
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
A water softener helps some, but basically replaces the calcium in the water with sodium. You'll still have water spots, just from a different mineral.

Wash the car in the shade to slow down evaporation. If that can't be done wash in the early morning or evening when the sun's lower in the sky.

If washing in the sun, wash the sun exposed side last, and begin the drying there.

Use a ph neutral Car Shampoo, like Adam's Car Shampoo. Soap the entire vehicle down without rinsing at all. Once the car's been wiped down completely, then rinse thoroughly. Wipe dry with a good quality microfiber specific drying towel using Detail Spray as a drying aid, and to remove any remaining soap.

If all else fails, get one of the commercially available Spot Free Rinse products on the market. I've got a Reverse Osmosis rinse unit that works well. Total Dissolved Solids in my rinse water are almost zero, the same as distilled water, leaving no water spots.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #10
wally mayfield

vinegar, doesn't work..Im hoping after the polishing
and waxing it will be better..
Old 04-03-2017, 08:01 AM   #11
Black_SS10

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
vinegar, doesn't work..Im hoping after the polishing
and waxing it will be better..
Did you let the vinegar dwell? It wont work for old spots or all the time. Polishing will definitely take care of the water spots. Throw on a good coat of sealant and/or wax. That will make harder for the spots to stick and easier to remove.

I have a softener system and still get water spots. Just do good prep work, dry quickly, and follow up with a quick detail spray of choice.
'10 2SS/RS 6M, Blacked out lights/headlight armor, Technostalgia tail lights, MGW short shifter, Vararam tuned intake, JDP Clutch Reservoir, Elite catch can, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, Kooks HFC, Flowmaster Outlaw catback, VMAX Thottle body, SCTX4/Tuned by DynoSteve, DSS aluminum driveshaft, Pegasus subframe bushings, BMR trailing and toe arms, Z28 upper control arm bushings, FE4/Zl1 rear sway bar, Prothane radius arm inserts, BMR steering rack bushing, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Ridetech HQ level 2 coilovers, 1LE diffuser, SSclones, 20in CCW 505A, Pilot super sports...more in the future.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #12
bkevind

Anybody use ONR? Thinking about that option with a couple gallons of distilled water.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #13
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Quote:
I'm thinking about going for a large RO system for the whole house.
An RO unit works by pushing water through a filter system and depositing the pure water into a storage tank. It takes about four gallons of tap water to make one gallon of RO purified water. A system for the whole hose wouldn't be practical. I have one at the kitchen sink for drinking and cooking that's also connected to the ice maker in the freezer, as well as a system in the garage for rinsing washed vehicles.

Quote:
Anybody use ONR? Thinking about that option with a couple gallons of distilled water.
Depends on how dirty the vehicle is, and how much you're concerned with marring from washing that way. A truly dirty vehicle really needs a two bucket wash and the use of a hose to safely clean. The no rinse products are good for light dust, or very little dirt
Old 04-03-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
bkevind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post
An RO unit works by pushing water through a filter system and depositing the pure water into a storage tank. It takes about four gallons of tap water to make one gallon of RO purified water. A system for the whole hose wouldn't be practical. I have one at the kitchen sink for drinking and cooking that's also connected to the ice maker in the freezer, as well as a system in the garage for rinsing washed vehicles.

Depends on how dirty the vehicle is, and how much you're concerned with marring from washing that way. A truly dirty vehicle really needs a two bucket wash and the use of a hose to safely clean. The no rinse products are good for light dust, or very little dirt
Yeah I hate the waste of RO, the systems I was looking at were about 35% efficient. It's one of the only ways at a house level to truly rid of the high TDS.

I thought ONR was a little bit better than the typical spray wash/detailers. But yeah there is no free ride to getting rid of dirt.