Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 10-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
SSawdusty
Crewel Jewel

Drives: RJT-2SS-RS-6M
Gears for Future Setup

Just starting to plan out this winters mods. My Camaro is a 2SS M6 and my current mods are listed in my signature. I only use the car for cruising on the street its not a daily driver and will probally never see the strip. I plan on installing a blower cam possibly JRE rough idle one.(this winter) With a maggie or wipple. Possibly this winter for sure next (depending on how full the cookie jar is). My goal is around 600rwhp.

So one of my decisions is. While I'm doing the JRE posi mod and diff upgrade should I do a gearing change? (this winter as well)I was thinking of the AAM 3.70 or 3.90. Or should I stay with the stock set and put the money into axels and a driveshaft or other mods?

Will the lower gears make the car more driveable with the cam and more fun on the street or will I toast up the tires to easy.

Any help....advice...or if you have a similar setup. I'd like to hear it.
Whipple SC with 3.875 pulley. MSD BAP. ZR1 MAP Sensor. Granatelli Wires. 160 T Stat. ADM CAI & Scoop. Vmax Ported Throttle Body. Ceramic Coated LG Motorsports Super Pro Headers and Mufflers. Cat Delete. BCP Valve Covers. Roto-Fab W/W Bottle. RX Catch Can & Breather. Elite Tunnel Brace. MGW Shifter . Prosport EVO Boost & A/F Gauges. Autometer Pillar Gauge Pod. Spohn CM Del-Sphere Trailing Arms & Toe Links. BMR Bushings. Foose Speed Wheels. Pirelli 275/305 Tires. New paint by GTC. Tuned by 5252 Motorsports.582rwhp/583rwt
SSawdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
With 600 RWHP, I would stay with the stock gearing...

If you go with the 3.70's or 3.90's, you will loose highway driveability and mpg's... The more power a car has the taller the gear you want... 4.10's 4.11's etc, are great for mild builds of up to say 500 RWHP, (this is very subjective)

Proper gear selection is based on intended driving... If you plan on going to the track, 1/4 mile, then too short of a gear set will have you blowing the tires off on the line, and shifting before you get 60 or 70 feet down track... 600 RWHP with 3.45's will be for the most part manageable yet still driveable...

If it were me, I would put the money into axles and suspension upgrades you may not have yet, solid sub frame bushings, trailing arms, toe rods etc...

edit: Went back and saw you have no intention of going to the track, so I would really stay with the factory gearing... for driveability and economy... you'll still be able to smoke them at will and not have to worry about your car going backwards in a heartbeat every time you jump on it...
Old 10-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
SSawdusty
Crewel Jewel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
With 600 RWHP, I would stay with the stock gearing...

If you go with the 3.70's or 3.90's, you will loose highway driveability and mpg's... The more power a car has the taller the gear you want... 4.10's 4.11's etc, are great for mild builds of up to say 500 RWHP, (this is very subjective)

Proper gear selection is based on intended driving... If you plan on going to the track, 1/4 mile, then too short of a gear set will have you blowing the tires off on the line, and shifting before you get 60 or 70 feet down track... 600 RWHP with 3.45's will be for the most part manageable yet still driveable...

If it were me, I would put the money into axles and suspension upgrades you may not have yet, solid sub frame bushings, trailing arms, toe rods etc...

edit: Went back and saw you have no intention of going to the track, so I would really stay with the factory gearing... for driveability and economy... you'll still be able to smoke them at will and not have to worry about your car going backwards in a heartbeat every time you jump on it...
Thanks SSE. Was just concerned about the driveability with the cam at stoplights and in traffic as well still being in the cam lope at cruising rpm. A lower gear set would help starting off and raise the cruising rpm. Or are these a non issues?
Whipple SC with 3.875 pulley. MSD BAP. ZR1 MAP Sensor. Granatelli Wires. 160 T Stat. ADM CAI & Scoop. Vmax Ported Throttle Body. Ceramic Coated LG Motorsports Super Pro Headers and Mufflers. Cat Delete. BCP Valve Covers. Roto-Fab W/W Bottle. RX Catch Can & Breather. Elite Tunnel Brace. MGW Shifter . Prosport EVO Boost & A/F Gauges. Autometer Pillar Gauge Pod. Spohn CM Del-Sphere Trailing Arms & Toe Links. BMR Bushings. Foose Speed Wheels. Pirelli 275/305 Tires. New paint by GTC. Tuned by 5252 Motorsports.582rwhp/583rwt
Old 10-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
SSawdusty
Crewel Jewel

Anybody else?????
Old 10-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
flem

Drives: old
rear gears

hey dusty, i have 688 rwhp m-6, maggie, heads, cam, ect. the last thing i whould give up are my 4.11 gears!!!! so much easier on the starts and drive line, these are a must!!! 5th and 6th gears are overdrive, 23 mpg with this set up. put that posi mod in during the gear change. you will NOT be sorry, go 4.11 flem
flem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Personally, if I had your set-up, I would go with the LPE 3.90 (strictly for durability).
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote