Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

4th Generation Camaros 1993-2002

Old 02-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #1
ycc456

Drives: 1985 camaro
Exclamation Opinion on which to buy please help

So I was buying an 84 z28 and that fell through the clutch was 97% gone so i decided to pass
Anyways,
the other options that remain are 4th gens and unfortunately both the v6 but different years and different stock hp
They are both the same price 2500 which I realize is above book but I sold my truck and need something to drive this weekend and there isnt very many options in my price range they are all 2500 then jump to about 7 nothing in between I have about 3500 to spend at the moment and need something to drive

The first is a 1994
automatic
excellent body and paint
v6 correct me if im wrong but it has around 140 horse stock ( really nervous about it being totally gutless )
t tops

the second is a 1999
automatic
no body damage but cheep maaco style paint job
v6 correct me if im wrong but 99s have 200 stock
t tops

now will the extra 60 horsepower in the 99 be noticeable and 200 horsepower still isnt very impressive compared to the lt1s but there isnt any for sale in my area at the moment
I would also rather have a manual but like I said choices are very slim

Whats your opions on the performance of both 6 bangers and the car choice in general both the same price both arround 140 thousand miles
ycc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2011 SS
Get the 99 and start saving up for the eventual LSx swap.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
Nameless

Drives: 2012 SS & 1996 RS
Definitely get the 99. You are right, 200hp stock. The older 3.4 engine has 160hp stock. You would notice the difference!
Old 02-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
96CamaroSS

Drives: IOM '10 Camaro SS
I test drove a '94 Camaro with the 3.4 once and it was probably the most boring car I've ever driven. I would go with the '99 if those are your only two choices. The 3800 is just a better motor.

With spring right around the corner, I guess I'd wait and see if you could find a LT1 car if that's an option.
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM   #5
ycc456

Drives: 1985 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CamaroSS View Post
I test drove a '94 Camaro with the 3.4 once and it was probably the most boring car I've ever driven. I would go with the '99 if those are your only two choices. The 3800 is just a better motor.

With spring right around the corner, I guess I'd wait and see if you could find a LT1 car if that's an option.
Well I bought the 99 and it's actually a Firebird but basically the same thing. Its in near perfect shape for the year with the exception of bumper balance paint that the previous owner scratched off over a bump
Its got the t tops which I like and everything is functional
I ended up getting it for 2200 and it is a lot better of a motor than I expected I was turning onot the highway from a dead stop today and got on it about half throttle and spun the tires turning onto the highway it was trying to pull some drift action out lol. But if I decide to sell it for a v8 and preferably a manual at some point I'm going to wait until summer when people are looking for this kind of car since everyone's trying to get rid of them now here in Colorado due to snow I'm confident I can more than make a profit when summer comes around.
ycc456 is offline   Reply With Quote