Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
preventing bumper damage during trail braking? - spring-only upgrade recommendations?

When I trail brake, my bumper hits the ground. I've chopped it up and started cracking it.

I can't do a full suspension upgrade due to racing class regulations.

I CAN do spring-only upgrades.

Can anyone recommend a spring-only that may firm it up just enough that I'm not diving my bumper into the ground during trail braking?
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
What class are you racing?
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
sorry for my ignorance..what is trail breaking. please explain
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Well Bruce, I guess I failed at understanding the rules. I can't change the springs except to "stock replacements"... I might have to go see if theres any "stock replacements" that just happen to be a little bit stiffer... lol...

SCCA Autocross FS does allowed aftermarket shocks, no more than 2 external adjustments, Any shock absorber bushings (not offset). Thats not really going to help me though. I thought it was springs and not shocks, but I guess its shocks and not springs. Blah...

IPTC:

Trail braking is braking hard into a turn shifting the weight forward until you hit the apex, increasing the contact patch of your front tires... In practice it leads to putting your entire car weight on one tire. I know a lot of guys recommend against it, but after having an instructor teach me how to do it properly, I'm seeing record race finishes on my camaro.

Properly adjusted suspension components (Camaros ship with excessive understeer) would negate most of the benefit of trail braking, but with a stock suspension setup I am at least sticking to it, and I'm trying to figure out the right spring set up if I'm not effecting the rest of the suspension.

I dont want to argue with anyone on here about whether or not trailbraking is appropriate. I know most people dont like it, and most the autoX guys say "Thats for track racing, not AutoX", but tell that to my finishes! haha... The only problem I've been having since doing it is busting the brackets for the black strip and scraping up the bumper pretty bad... this last time I managed to wear it down and crack the underside corner.

Thanks!
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Old 10-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Wow.....so your car is dipping down far enough in the front that the front bumper is touching the ground? Wouldn't adding springs only make that worse by lowering the car closer to the ground?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
wow this is scary,,,,but if u can pull it off...hats off to you
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Wow.....so your car is dipping down far enough in the front that the front bumper is touching the ground? Wouldn't adding springs only make that worse by lowering the car closer to the ground?
Well most the other big time camaro racers on here have aftermarket suspension and are not having this issue (and they are better drivers than me I'm sure).

If it is lower, not only is it stiffer, but the far side wouldn't rise as high is my guess, therefore maintaining a lower angle when cornering, preventing the corner from hitting?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
TankMorph
More Human Than Human

Drives: 2011 1LT IOM M6
"Both the front and rear suspension may be adjusted through their designed range of adjustment by use of factory adjustment arrangements or by taking advantage of inherent manufacturing tolerances."

Just a thought...maybe you should look at getting a more aggressive alignment. A little more toe-in for the rear and some negative camber all the way around would do you some good on the track. Get too far from factory settings, though, and you'll get some premature tire wear.

Also, I think you can upgrade your front sway bar to your heart's content, but not the rear and stay "stock". I'm pretty sure you can't use anything other than the springs the come from the factory, too.

Another couple of tricks are to run with MINIMAL gas in your tank, and change out the stock air filter for something like a K&N, keeping the stock intake.
TankMorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #9
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

I am running axle back and K&N element. I also have a more aggressive alignment.

Front sways make sense, and have been on my To Do List. Would sways help with that roll at all?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
TankMorph
More Human Than Human

Drives: 2011 1LT IOM M6
Honestly, changing out the front sway bar, end links, and bushings won't make that much of a difference for understeer (probably make it worse). The rear would, but you can't touch it under Stock rules. :(
TankMorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
Cam8

Drives: 2014 Gray Camaro 2LT RS
Different springs while they might lower the car would be stiffer. I have the Eibach springs and sway bars and while it does lower the car it stiffens the car up so you have less body roll as well. I think that stiffer springs if you can would help and also a sway bar will keep the car flat through the turns. Good luck with this and your racing. I also race SCCA but club racing and also Trans-Am.