Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Frankenstein Engine Dynamics
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
mypuppysirius

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey V6
Cleaning Air intake filters

So i have been looking around trying to decide which CAI to get, (i know there are a lot of threads on that), and this might be a dumb question, but are you able to clean and oil all these intakes that people are pumped on on here?? Or do you need to get new filters once they get dirty?? Thanks for you responses in advance.

(i'm assuming you can clean and oil them, but it never hurts to ask before i spend a few 100 bucks on one)
Old 10-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Vararam - Yes, you can clean it. Filter cleaning kit link. If you'd prefer not to clean it, then you can buy a new filter from them instead.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Roto-Fab also has a cleaning kit for their filters. I'm pretty sure there are cleaning kits for just about every 'lifetime' air filter. My question is why is there a big difference between them? For example they say not to use a K&N cleaning kit on the Roto-Fab and others.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
With K&N you can also clean the filter. They have instructions on their site in the FAQ's section. See below link Q#16 and click on one of the links. I will be doing the maintenance in aproximately 3000 miles or so. K&N guarantees up to 25k without maintaining but i would rather do it much sooner.

http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#16
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Vararam - Yes, you can clean it. Filter cleaning kit link. If you'd prefer not to clean it, then you can buy a new filter from them instead.
With k&n to buy a new filter will run u about $40 bucks, im guessing with Vararam it may be more??
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
Old 10-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
injen dry filter, you can spray down with a hose and air dry. just make sure it's fully dry before putting it back on.

or you can just blow dry it out with a blow dryer or air gun, or your mouth. lol
Old 10-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post

or you can just blow dry it out with a blow dryer or air gun, or your mouth. lol
Hahaha, good idea. Will make sure i use my girl's dryer when i do this.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSNEEKSx View Post
With k&n to buy a new filter will run u about $40 bucks, im guessing with Vararam it may be more??
Probably. The VR air filter is custom made for the V6 Camaro application. K&N tends to have a set of filters that can be used for many different vehicle applications with their intake kits (not the OE drop in style) so they can get the cost down on volume.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Whether you go with the dry or oil filter, ours are lifetime filters that require periodic cleaning. The oil filters require a maintenance kit which includes a cleaner and oil to re-oil your filter. It is very important not to over oil the filter as this can cause oil to get in the air stream and possibly on the MAF sensor.
Our dry filter can be removed and knocked against a hard surface (not so hard as to damage it!) to remove most dirt and dust. For this reason our dry filters are popular in areas with high levels of dust and sand such as parts of Florida and especially the Middle East.
IMPORTANT!!! Regardless of which filter you choose, during cleaning it is important to allow the element to dry naturally without the use of heat. Just like a cotton T-shirt, heat can cause the element to shrink which can pull the element away from the rubber ends. This can result in a gap for dirt and dust to enter the air stream.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
injen dry filter, you can spray down with a hose and air dry. just make sure it's fully dry before putting it back on.

BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: Black 2SS/RS 14; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
It depends on which type of filters you are using. Oiled will require a cleaning kit that contains a cleaning spry and oil.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
n116ebo
n116

Drives: 2010 2SS YELLOW TRANSFORMER AUTO
I have the Cai Inc for a 2ss, it can be cleaned and re-oiled. I am too lazy so I just keep a new spare. (about $60.00 with freight) There was a guy on the forum that cleans and re-oils his and he said after oiling it he puts it in a pillow case and swings it around to get rid of excess oil before installing. If I was not so lazy would probably use the pillow case trick to get rid of excess oil. signed: lazy
n116ebo is offline   Reply With Quote