Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
NightmareSS

 
NightmareSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Staten Island, NYC
Posts: 1,388
Question New to the Stick...Advice?

Ok...Ive asked about this a few times in multiple threads but i figured I might as well start my own thread to get responses from some more people...

I ordered a 2SS/RS in manual but i dont really have any experience driving stick. Well, I drove it a few times on a couple of my friends cars which included an old ass Volvo turbo, 95 Civic bubble back, and a 2006 Mini Cooper Type S...But the last time I drove any of these was atleast 3-4 years ago, so whatever I learned then is likely to have been forgotten. Although I do know the basics as to what i have to do as far as getting it moving. Getting into first was tough at first being the first cars i drove was the old Volvo and the Civic with a worn out clutch. I won't 4get how i stalled it 3 times at a light in the Civic. But when I drove the Cooper it was a breeze. My guess was that the clutch was brand new and it caught easily. Which is what im hoping will be the case for the Camaro. Give it a lil gas and ease of the clutch till it catches and once you get rolling you can fully release the clutch. Now knowing when to down shift is something im not familiar with and I'm really nervous that im gonna look like an asshole in traffic! Besides that, I dont want to mess up my tranny...Now I know alot of you might be thinking that i shouldn't even be getting manual but I want it. There isnt a day that goes by now, that I don't wish my 300zx was stick. And I dont know anyone with a manual car that will let me practice on and I don't want to pay for a class at some driving school. I think I'll manage just fine but I am still a bit nervous for when I go pick up my car. I live in New York and I ordered in New Jersey only about 25mins away with no traffic...but the dealership is on the side of the highway and when i pick it up i have to merge onto the higway and drive that baby home over the bridge! (PLEASE GOD DON'T LET THERE BE TRAFFIC!)

I know there isn't much you guys can do to help me without actually showing me first hand but if there are any tips or advice you can bestow upon me to help calm my nerves, take it easy, and help me not ruin my tranny it would be greatly appreciated! Come on Camaro5...help a Camaro brother out! I'm all ears...
__________________
NightmareSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
DanielleAnne
 
DanielleAnne's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 75 Stingray
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 339
Go out, by yourself, with no one around, and teach yourself. People suck and get pushy. You gotta learn yourself how to drive your car the way you wanna drive it. The more you relax, the easier it will come.
__________________
2SS/RS Inferno on Inferno
DanielleAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
NightmareSS

 
NightmareSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Staten Island, NYC
Posts: 1,388
Funny that was my 300th post and the 300zx i drive now is what has inspired my to want to drive a manual transmission!

Oh and I also just wanted to add that I've thought about renting a car to learn on but how am I supposed to drive it out of the lot without looking like an ass...LOL
Actually I can prolly manage that but still, what do you guys think?
__________________
NightmareSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
NightmareSS

 
NightmareSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Staten Island, NYC
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleAnne View Post
Go out, by yourself, with no one around, and teach yourself. People suck and get pushy. You gotta learn yourself how to drive your car the way you wanna drive it. The more you relax, the easier it will come.
Well yea im gonna be by myself but im nervous for that first trip home before I can take it to an open area and practice! But man is it gonna be an adventure...our first adventure together......Just looking for some tips that experience drivers might be able to share with me that might make it easier.
__________________
NightmareSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
bob2the2nd
 
Drives: CGM 2LT RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: newark, de
Posts: 542
try to find a friend that doesnt mind you destroying the clutch on his car and practice because thats the only way you will learn.

My dad my freshman year of college bought the one and only manual transmission car that my family has owned while I have been alive (was 20 at the time). My sister was able to drive it to and from school every day (she was in HS at the time) and it took her a couple of months but 5 years later (we no longer have the car) she can drive a manual pretty well and because I never got any real experience with it I pretty much suck at them. practice makes perfect.
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
Camaro509

 
Camaro509's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,087
I grew up and learned how to drive on a manual transmission so my advice may be a little biased and possibly sound silly; it is not meant to be.

Take it easy and find a large expanse of parking lot with no obstacles to practice in. Once you're comfortable going from P to R and shifting from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 find yourself a stop sign on a deserted (or low traffic) street to practice starting from an incline. You could even ask the dealer if for your first drive in it, he accompany you around the lot (away from the other cars), until you're comfortable enough to drive it through traffic to home.

DON'T take someone with you while practicing, they'll be a distraction unless
they are of a calm demeanor and you trust them..

Each car is a little different, so specific advice on how to ease or pop the clutch in combination with go pedal, will have to be learned gradually. Don't worry about stalling the vehicle, and don't be embarrassed, it has happened to us all before (those who say no are lying)

You might want to look into seeing if a friend or the dealer has a manual you could practice in prior to picking up your new ride too.

Downshifting. Some may hate me for saying this, but while learning the RPM limits of your Camaro, you can downshift from a high gear right down to 1 after coming to a complete stop (or real slow), without worry. Skipping the intermediate gears altogether. Once you get used to how the manual operates with your driving style, get used to breaking while in gear and downshifting on the fly until it becomes second nature, listen to the engine for cues on when to both up and down shift, you'll get used to what she wants in no time flat.
__________________
Understeer, Oversteer, Wheel Alignment (Camber etc), Torque, Horsepower, Camaro

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
NUCAR
 
Drives: 68 big block
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: tossed off see ya
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareSS View Post
Funny that was my 300th post and the 300zx i drive now is what has inspired my to want to drive a manual transmission!

Oh and I also just wanted to add that I've thought about renting a car to learn on but how am I supposed to drive it out of the lot without looking like an ass...LOL
Actually I can prolly manage that but still, what do you guys think?
I doubt you will find a rental piece with a stick....for the obvious reasons. First accept the fact that you will stall the car. Forget the car behind you and don't get flustered, clutch in, restart and calmly try again. Stalling is better that glazing the clutch. I've taught novices to drive everything from a Cobalt to a ZO6! in our back lot. You want to try to get the car rolling with NO gas first. This will begin teaching the muscle memory of where the clutch starts to engage and where is is totally engaged. Once you master the "magic inch" of clutch engagement, you have 90% of the battle won. Keep the radio OFF, the car will tell you when to shift. Down shifting is an advanced lesson. Keep power off when moving through the clutch engagement zone. Burning the disc is an expensive tuition payment and will not be covered by warranty. RELAX, focus and enjoy.
NUCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
rocket31
 
Drives: 02 silverado and 97 BMW Z3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 55
best thing you can do is practice, especially since you already know how to drive. dont feel bad though, that 2ss is gonna have a lot of power and take some getting used to for pretty much everyone on here if they dont already have a car similar in power. so once again just practice with a friends car if possible to get reaquainted with driving stick, last thing u wanna do is wreck your baby before you even get home
rocket31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch
 
Iroczlover's Avatar
 
Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Yelm, wa, Hell if I think about it to much
Posts: 8,080
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
lol I went from driving an auto to getting a daily driver C4 corvette with a 6speed Manual in it & havent looked back.

I wasnt confortable driving manuals like yourself, but my husband told me once he left for over seas That the only car I can drive when the weather was good, was our 96 Geo metro that had a 4speed Manual in it lol.

I got pretty ok in that, then we sold that & he got his vette Said he will get my comfy in it while driving & he never did, So last May He needed his vette moved & told me to take it around the block lol half hour later I come back drooling wanting one, two days later we picked up my C4 & I havent looked back since, I still have some problems shifting but not as bad as it could be.
__________________
I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Personal website www.HPIV.net
Greatest Camaro club around www.pnwcc.com
PNWCC is now on facebook
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT, 87 Iroc-z, 90 Vette Vert , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
cam2fst4u


 
cam2fst4u's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: stanley va
Posts: 6,299
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareSS View Post
Well yea im gonna be by myself but im nervous for that first trip home before I can take it to an open area and practice! But man is it gonna be an adventure...our first adventure together......Just looking for some tips that experience drivers might be able to share with me that might make it easier.
I know how you feel. When I bought my 00 camaro I had never drove a manual before. They wouldn't even let me test drive it but I wanted it and got approved for it then I took it out. I was scared at first. Thinking man why did I get a manual, People are going to be makin fun of me for stallin it out or missing a gear. I started it up and pulled out of the lot and up the road I went. The torque in these cars help alot, you aren't going to stall it out that easy.

Just so happened that at the first red light a mustang pulled up next to me reving the engine. I thought oh no.... I dont know what Im doing and Im goin to make the camaro look bad.... well i couldn't back down (I was younger and dumb) So I reved back, man that drowned out the sound of their stang. The light turns green I popped the clutch and hit the gas. I looked to see where the stang was and he had stalled out at the light.. I laughed my @$$ off. I pulled in the next gas station and the guy drove by and wouldn't even look. I know it was stupid but how many of you could resist it?

But as far as you not knowing how to drive the stick.... I think you'll be fine. I'm sure your dealer will help you if you ask. Or anyone from here I am sure will be more than happy to help. They will have to actually show you with you in the passenger seat..lol
__________________
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #11
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim
 
Zabo's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 R6P 2SS/RS M6, '96 S10 ZR2 M5
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Woodhaven, Michigan
Posts: 9,582
I've driven stick turf trucksters with 3cyl brawny diesels as my training for about 5 years. Had the same problems as all of you guys but I have since learned some neat little tricks of torque-y vehicles. Hell I even blew out the cable clutch on the vehicle my first week. :/ (Yeah, all I know how to drive are cable actuated clutches.. This camaro is gonna be butter.)

Still, remember:

-Listen to the motor
-Listen to the motor
-Listen to the motor

Got it? Radio and Drinks should stay off and out of the vehicle for about a month or so until you feel REALLY comfortable with your driving. If you think they're a distraction with an auto..just wait until that stop light. Also having experience on a bike helps with that situational awareness thing..
__________________
2010 2SS/RS M6
Black on Black, Silver Rally Stripes, NPP Exhaust, 1LE Rear Diffuser,
SLP Z/28 style Blackwing CAI
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #12
SummitRider800
 
Drives: 2008 Dodge 3500
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montana
Posts: 6
imo i would suggest trying to find a friend with a diesel truck with a manual in it. that is the easiest to learn how to drive a clutch in, due to the fact you cant stall them unless you just dump the clutch. you dont have to worry about releasing the clutch and giving it gas at the same time. simply let the clutch out and the truck moves. TORQUE. then you can practice easier. plus if you miss a gear in a diesel say first to fourth it still moves and wont stall so you can learn way quicker. yea it lugs down but it will still move. but then again ive been driving a manual my whole driving career but i learned in diesels and its a whole other world in a gas motor. espescially like my girlfriends toyota four banger that you have to have master the right combo of gas and clutch to even move. imo they are the hardest to drive. good luck
SummitRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
NightmareSS

 
NightmareSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Staten Island, NYC
Posts: 1,388
Thanks guys...appreciate the insights...you make me feel like everything is gonna be ok!! HaHa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCAR View Post
I doubt you will find a rental piece with a stick....for the obvious reasons. First accept the fact that you will stall the car. Forget the car behind you and don't get flustered, clutch in, restart and calmly try again. Stalling is better that glazing the clutch. I've taught novices to drive everything from a Cobalt to a ZO6! in our back lot. You want to try to get the car rolling with NO gas first. This will begin teaching the muscle memory of where the clutch starts to engage and where is is totally engaged. Once you master the "magic inch" of clutch engagement, you have 90% of the battle won. Keep the radio OFF, the car will tell you when to shift. Down shifting is an advanced lesson. Keep power off when moving through the clutch engagement zone. Burning the disc is an expensive tuition payment and will not be covered by warranty. RELAX, focus and enjoy.
What does glazing the clutch mean? and I always thought if you didnt give it gas while releasing the clutch it would stall...but your saying if I just get it to the catching point the idle will keep it running and rolling slightly aslong as i dont fully release the clutch?
__________________
NightmareSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
LadiesMan217

 
LadiesMan217's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareSS View Post
Thanks guys...appreciate the insights...you make me feel like everything is gonna be ok!! HaHa...



What does glazing the clutch mean? and I always thought if you didnt give it gas while releasing the clutch it would stall...but your saying if I just get it to the catching point the idle will keep it running and rolling slightly aslong as i dont fully release the clutch?
Slowly let out the clutch with no gas. When you get to the "sweet spot", the car will begin to roll. Too much of the clutch being let out without relief from the gas pedal will stall it.

When the car begins to roll, that's when you know when to give it some gas. (This is just for practice so you know when you'll need to give it gas...you wouldn't do this all the time.)

Downshifting is harder to tell in a forum because you really have to pay attention to how the engine is reacting...and what it sounds like. At first, just pop the car into neutral and use the brakes to stop...and then just put it in the necessary gear to go again...You can learn downshifting after you're not freaking out about stalling it!


(Just so you know and you can feel a little more at ease... When I test drove my 350Z, I stalled it before I left the parking lot.) It happens to everyone. I was coming from a manual on a Jeep...which was a LOT different than the Z!
__________________
Proud Member of NEC5!
LadiesMan217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #15
KJS

 
KJS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cut Throat, NY
Posts: 1,639
Don't worry, be happy! like this guy here >
__________________
"As ye sow, so shall ye reap" - Me

Mine at sunset
KJS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #16
cam2fst4u


 
cam2fst4u's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: stanley va
Posts: 6,299
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
Don't worry, be happy! like this guy here >
__________________
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #17
2Muchmark

 
2Muchmark's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 855
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
PLEASE Take my advice: Get a friend to show you how. I destroyed both my clutch and my transmission in less than 2 years on my brand new 1991 T/A, and it cost me THOUSANDS to get it fixed... The fact that I stalled the car a few times just trying to drive it off the lot should have warned me that I had no idea what I was doing at the time.

Take the time to learn how to drive it and your car will last you alot longer.
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #18
SIK07GTSTANG
Team Fordpower
 
SIK07GTSTANG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Purcellville, VA
Posts: 350
Resurrect Steve McQueen, steal a GT390, and have him teach ya.
SIK07GTSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #19
BigSlik
 
BigSlik's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Memphis,TN
Posts: 180
Yeah this was a concern of mine as well. So I'm taking it,after reading the posts, that its harder to stall because of the torque the car has.? Would I be correct in this assumption?
BigSlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #20
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!
 
UCI CamaroFan's Avatar
 
Drives: Toyota 4Runner
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareSS View Post
Funny that was my 300th post and the 300zx i drive now is what has inspired my to want to drive a manual transmission!

Oh and I also just wanted to add that I've thought about renting a car to learn on but how am I supposed to drive it out of the lot without looking like an ass...LOL
Actually I can prolly manage that but still, what do you guys think?
I actually recently learned how to drive stick shift. My grandparents in Illinois have all their vehicles in only stick shift, so I just used their vehicles. However, I only resorted to this after I could not find a rental place that had any manual cars... all the people I spoke to said they have not rented manual transmissions in many years.

Anyways, I drove back the truck that I drive now (the 2001 ford f-250 power stroke, which is also a manual transmission), from Illinois to California... and after driving stick shift for 2000 miles, I can now say I am used to the way it feels. It just takes practice and determination.

I suggest finding an old beater truck for a few hundred dollars on like craigslist or something, and teach yourself on that.
UCI CamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #21
predatoryangel
 
predatoryangel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 32
Definitely don't get frustrated if/when you stall out.

I learned how to drive on an old stick pickup. Even knowing how to drive a stick, when I got my 01 SS I stalled out several times, and grinded the gears once or twice. Very painful. But ya just have to expect every car to be different.. and don't dare have someone in the car with you who isn't totally patient.
__________________
predatoryangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #22
TJ91
:chevy:
 
TJ91's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,493
Hey guys ive been driving stick good since i was 9. But i noticed that i have been told several different things about burning a clutch. Im not sure on this, but when your stopped at a light, does having your clutch down, slowly burn the clutch? The guy at Ford told my brother this, so at every light i just slip it into nneutral and keep my foot off the clutch, dont want to burn the clutch, can be quite expensive.
Another thing, i used to clutch in and rev, when i drove past girls or when there was a crappy civic next to me, does that burn the clutch?
I know that if your high on the gas, and slowly letting go of the cluthch, i know that burns it.
Im a very good driver when it comes to standard, very smooth, i just have misleading answers on those two, so i just wanted to make sure.
P.S Nightmare, once you grasp where the release point is, then everything will come easy. The only challenge will be uphill battles, boy are those scary when your not experienced. It will take about a week or more for you to fully drive standard smoothly and properly but it is far better than auto.
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:17 AM   #23
DkknightX
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Emerson, NJ
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareSS View Post
Ok...Ive asked about this a few times in multiple threads but i figured I might as well start my own thread to get responses from some more people...

I ordered a 2SS/RS in manual but i dont really have any experience driving stick. Well, I drove it a few times on a couple of my friends cars which included an old ass Volvo turbo, 95 Civic bubble back, and a 2006 Mini Cooper Type S...But the last time I drove any of these was atleast 3-4 years ago, so whatever I learned then is likely to have been forgotten. Although I do know the basics as to what i have to do as far as getting it moving. Getting into first was tough at first being the first cars i drove was the old Volvo and the Civic with a worn out clutch. I won't 4get how i stalled it 3 times at a light in the Civic. But when I drove the Cooper it was a breeze. My guess was that the clutch was brand new and it caught easily. Which is what im hoping will be the case for the Camaro. Give it a lil gas and ease of the clutch till it catches and once you get rolling you can fully release the clutch. Now knowing when to down shift is something im not familiar with and I'm really nervous that im gonna look like an asshole in traffic! Besides that, I dont want to mess up my tranny...Now I know alot of you might be thinking that i shouldn't even be getting manual but I want it. There isnt a day that goes by now, that I don't wish my 300zx was stick. And I dont know anyone with a manual car that will let me practice on and I don't want to pay for a class at some driving school. I think I'll manage just fine but I am still a bit nervous for when I go pick up my car. I live in New York and I ordered in New Jersey only about 25mins away with no traffic...but the dealership is on the side of the highway and when i pick it up i have to merge onto the higway and drive that baby home over the bridge! (PLEASE GOD DON'T LET THERE BE TRAFFIC!)

I know there isn't much you guys can do to help me without actually showing me first hand but if there are any tips or advice you can bestow upon me to help calm my nerves, take it easy, and help me not ruin my tranny it would be greatly appreciated! Come on Camaro5...help a Camaro brother out! I'm all ears...
Easy, avoid stopping at red lights on steep inclines or you'll be sorry. Listen, there is a way you can cheat safetly, but it is a trade secret only you and I can know, so shhhhhh. Alright, when you are at a red light on a steep incline and some moron is sitting on your rear bumper, you have to becareful of "rollback." Now the trick here is to make sure you have the parking brake up a little more than half-way and make sure your left foot is on the clutch, the car is in 1st gear and your right foot is on the brake. When the light turns green, you need to gently ease up on the clutch and begin revving to about 3K RPM's and balance it out until you start moving forward. Now, once you begin to move forward, you can safetly release the parking brake slowly and PRESTO! Little to no rollback and everybody is happy. You can use this trick only up until you develop enough confidence to do it without the parking brake and you are CERTAIN you can balance to 1st gear and get moving forward immediately after you release the brake pedal. I still stall every once in awhile but it is extremely rare. Hope this tip helps. I learned on a late model Honda Civic Hatchback so I could learn how to drive my new 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged. The Cobalt SS/SC was merely practice for my 2010 Camaro 2SS. Goodluck!

Downshifting will come naturally as you begin to use the cars lower gears to help slow down your momentum when making left or right turns. Once you master downshifting on turns, you'll be able to change lanes on the highway to maximize accelerating and really take off from there!

Last edited by DkknightX; 04-06-2009 at 12:37 AM.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #24
DkknightX
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Emerson, NJ
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Hey guys ive been driving stick good since i was 9. But i noticed that i have been told several different things about burning a clutch. Im not sure on this, but when your stopped at a light, does having your clutch down, slowly burn the clutch? The guy at Ford told my brother this, so at every light i just slip it into nneutral and keep my foot off the clutch, dont want to burn the clutch, can be quite expensive.
Another thing, i used to clutch in and rev, when i drove past girls or when there was a crappy civic next to me, does that burn the clutch?
I know that if your high on the gas, and slowly letting go of the cluthch, i know that burns it.
Im a very good driver when it comes to standard, very smooth, i just have misleading answers on those two, so i just wanted to make sure.
P.S Nightmare, once you grasp where the release point is, then everything will come easy. The only challenge will be uphill battles, boy are those scary when your not experienced. It will take about a week or more for you to fully drive standard smoothly and properly but it is far better than auto.

If you are at a complete stop, you will not burn the clutch as you are not changing the gears while they are spinning. Slowing down, but still moving and then holding down the clutch will burn out the clutch.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #25
coquinn8846
 
coquinn8846's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 Mazda 6
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: virginia
Posts: 143
You will do fine. I have 2 older brothers that wrecked everything they drove, so when I turned 16 I was daddy's girl and he bought me a 3000Gt. I had no clue how to drive a stick but he told me you scratch it or wreck it you will be driving your brothers piece of S%$&. So I went over to to school every evening with one of my brothers and in about a week, there was no more green horning or burning the tires. I having be driving now for about 13 years and I will only drive a manual. A lot of good advice on here and remember stick with it. My dad passed away 6 years ago and I tried to teach my mom to drive his truck and she backed over the neighbors fence the second day. She freaked but stuck with it and after a couple of weeks was able to drive his truck. Don't stress just go and practice in a wide open space and just remember if you burn the tires or stall it, just laugh and try again. Good luck and have fun learning.
coquinn8846 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need some advice on the color selection here. 13F20 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 33 02-14-2010 04:31 AM
Can't Decide - Auto or Manual attymf Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 209 01-04-2010 10:14 PM
new to driving stick jeffny09 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 51 01-19-2009 03:15 PM
Need Some Help and Advice!! shibbychevy15 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 0 02-20-2008 08:01 PM
Need some advice >.> Shadowsong Off-topic Discussions 11 09-23-2007 01:24 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.