Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Design Concepts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 08-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
YoungMulaBaby

Drives: Camaro 2014 2LT
Footwells/Cupholder Lighting Question.

I've read up on several DIYs, but I was wondering can I keep my footwells and cupholder light on from the moment I turn on my car, while driving, and until i turn off ignition. So basically, I want it on the whole time I'm driving. How would I go about this?
YoungMulaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Tie it to the accessory outlet wire. Ours are not constant on, just on in the circumstances you described. There is a mod to correct that too. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197946
Old 08-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
jiannotto9492

Drives: 2014 Red 2LS

Fuse tap to either F17 or F18 and you should be good to go. If you want them on while driving I suggest just splicing them to the ambient light. Just to prolong the life of the LEDs and then you won't have to deal with them being on during the day when you won't see them.
jiannotto9492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
jsbalcio

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
I tapped the accessory outlet wire like Jrichard mentioned.
jsbalcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiannotto9492 View Post

Fuse tap to either F17 or F18 and you should be good to go. If you want them on while driving I suggest just splicing them to the ambient light. Just to prolong the life of the LEDs and then you won't have to deal with them being on during the day when you won't see them.
This is how I have my lights set up, they come on as soon as the ignition is on and I can turn it off with its own remote control if I need to.

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
jiannotto9492

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5Legend View Post
This is how I have my lights set up, they come on as soon as the ignition is on and I can turn it off with its own remote control if I need to.
Yeah setting up a switch is always an option too. But personally splicing to the ambient light might be the best solution with a switch to turn it on and off since the odds of wanting the lights on during the day would be slim to none since you won't be able to see them. Then I would set it up to a switch this way you're not loading down your 12 volt accessory with LED's and then you can use those lines to wire other stuff to.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
YoungMulaBaby

Drives: Camaro 2014 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
Tie it to the accessory outlet wire. Ours are not constant on, just on in the circumstances you described. There is a mod to correct that too. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197946
Would a switch work with this method (the link for constant 12v)? I don't want the LEDs to be on after I've shut off the car.

Last edited by YoungMulaBaby; 08-04-2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Clarify about the switch.
YoungMulaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
jiannotto9492

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMulaBaby View Post
Would a switch work with this method? I don't want the LEDs to be on after I've shut off the car, so the battery won't drain when the car's not on.
The accessory line is live only when the ignition is in the Camaro. You could add a switch to turn them on and off as you please.

For the switch what you would do is run a switch to the 12v in the accessory line and then connect the switch to the LEDs. This way you'll only be using power from your battery when both the switch and ignition are on.