Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HAVOC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Where to place the Cut-Out

Just curious, where would the ideal place to put an electric exhaust cut-out be?

Lets say the goal of the cut-out is not power gain, but sound, a nice deep V8 burble for when ur cruising down to road or something.

I would imagine that having a pair of cut-outs after the headers/manifolds would be the loudest, especially after a set of long tubes, but how bad would the interior drone be? Would you be better off having the cutouts closer to the back of the car, say just before the mufflers...would you still have good sound back there, and less interior drone as well?
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
You have to place them after the O2 sensors. That means after the 1st resonator if you do not want to move the sensors.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
MTron

how much of a sound decrease will the resonators cause? Obviously they reduce drone (resonant sound) but how will they affect the overall note of the exhaust?

Essentially my question is this

1. After the Resonator
2. Just before the Muffler
Old 04-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Hylton

You are planning to put cut-outs on the car for sound?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
MTron

Well, i dont want to do a full exhaust mod, as it will be my DD, so i prefer to have the option of a quiet exhaust. But when the mood is right, id like to open up the exhaust cutout's to hear that puppy roar

(i drove a fiends '00 camaro, with a cutout just before the muffler, and it sounded nice)
Old 04-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
Hylton

It will drive you less crazy the farther back you put it. If all you care about is sound, then place them to the back of the floorpan.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
MTron

so i wont loose much of the sound my placing them further back?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
Hylton

Heck no. If you want it to sound good to YOU, you should put the cut-outs behind you, not ahead or underneath you. I hate the feeling of the floor vibrating directly underneath me and the sound of the exhaust right underneath my door when I am driving around with the window down.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:07 AM   #9
MTron

Cool, so as far back as possible for good sound...ill keep that in mind...now, one small problem remains....getting the car...lol
Old 04-06-2009, 12:58 AM   #10
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
i have mine dumped right off the cat just in front of the passengers feet in my truck right now and it is crazy loud and fun for short little spirted drives, but the drone inside is horrible for long trips. but i got a pretty loud system that takes care of that lol
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 AM   #11
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I plan on getting electronic cut-outs too and plan on placing them just before the mufflers. I live in a townhouse community and don't want it being too loud when I'm coming and going. Once I get it on the street, I'll open them up and let her scream.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:15 AM   #12
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
You'll get a lot more popping when you decelerate if they are placed too far forward.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:07 AM   #13
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
You'll get a lot more popping when you decelerate if they are placed too far forward.
yup
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I would suggest you get the one with a motor and remote that opens it.

You don't want exhaust gas under the car at a stop it can waft up into the cabin. Very dangerous.

I forget the URL but have seen it in a few vettes. You press the button and instant open headers. If you have half it will open half. Then closed and it's normal exhaust. Ultimate stealth for road killz.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/

There's others out there, that's just the one off the top of my head.

I like the idea of having a decent stock or slightly modified exhaust note, and then opening them up and scaring all the little imports away

Edit: After the cutout, do you run a turn-down off the cut-out, or just leave it like it is?
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
SAUCE

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS BLKonBLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
This is true! The closer to the headers the worse it sounds. Open headers make the car sound like shi*/cheap old truck. there is no room any where right before the exhaust. With the x-pipe you are going to need 2. The best place to but them is right before the rear axle or before the pipes bend up over the axle. any forward will be annoying. And exhaust leaking up into the cabin is not only unsafe im sure you dont want ur car smelling like exhaust.

If you have them with manifolds there will be more droning and a deeper sound. not as loud. If you have them with longtubes it will have more of a higher raspy pitch, like a nascar.

Also if you plan on having them open for most of the time the important thing to do is get your car tuned for them other wise ur not getting the potential out of your car. being that this will be your daily driver is no reason to ignore getting an aftermarket exhaust for the extra horses. There are plenty of aftermarket exhaust that are not loud that improve the same gains. If your planning on doing Longtubes and cut out its a good idea to spend a lil extra on just getting full exhaust. Btw you dont have to spend a grand on exhaust in fact if you do your paying too much!!

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth
SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #17
SAUCE

do a youtube search with LT's and cutout for ls3 or any LS model the sound is going to be around the same! unless you add a cam

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth
Old 04-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUCE View Post
This is true! The closer to the headers the worse it sounds. Open headers make the car sound like shi*/cheap old truck. there is no room any where right before the exhaust. With the x-pipe you are going to need 2. The best place to but them is right before the rear axle or before the pipes bend up over the axle. any forward will be annoying. And exhaust leaking up into the cabin is not only unsafe im sure you dont want ur car smelling like exhaust.

If you have them with manifolds there will be more droning and a deeper sound. not as loud. If you have them with longtubes it will have more of a higher raspy pitch, like a nascar.

Also if you plan on having them open for most of the time the important thing to do is get your car tuned for them other wise ur not getting the potential out of your car. being that this will be your daily driver is no reason to ignore getting an aftermarket exhaust for the extra horses. There are plenty of aftermarket exhaust that are not loud that improve the same gains. If your planning on doing Longtubes and cut out its a good idea to spend a lil extra on just getting full exhaust. Btw you dont have to spend a grand on exhaust in fact if you do your paying too much!!
Hmm... I've noticed that too. I have my QTEC (Quick Time Electric Cutout - by QTP) mounted where the plates go in my Borla CB and noticed the drone with manifolds IS more than with LTs. The LTs are just plain louder, but I like the sound better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/

There's others out there, that's just the one off the top of my head.

I like the idea of having a decent stock or slightly modified exhaust note, and then opening them up and scaring all the little imports away

Edit: After the cutout, do you run a turn-down off the cut-out, or just leave it like it is?
There's something like DFM or something like that too. I would kinda' stray away from butterfly cutouts, at least like my QTEC (again, the QTP cutout). It doesn't seal great, and I don't really care about it because the exhaust just goes out that leg of the CB, but if you're planning on dumping under the car, I think the noise will be more apparent and eventually, more irritating. I'd definately put a turndown in, for sure, but, like was already mentioned, be worried about exhaust gas.

Hey Hilton - regarding the resonator you mentioned, are you talking about the ones near the center of the car, or just aft of the manifolds? I can't tell if we have four cats', but could swear I remember reading the car actually has two cats', so I'm wondering if the other pair I've seen are just pup cats' or indeed resonators. I'm a little confused about what they are supposed to be. I wonder, though, if putting the cutouts closer to the 02s, like no less than 13-inches or so, would be okay too. I know that having the 02s exposed to open air can screw with them, but know of many who run them not far past header collectors; I'm just wondering. I don't plan on going this route - just curious
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #19
2005SilveradoSSAWD

Drives: 2005 Silverado SS AWD
Hate to hijack the thead, but Sauce...that Camaro in your sig is sexy as hell. I hope we see the aftermarket coming out with stuff like that

"If guns cause crime, spoons made Rossie O' Donnel fat."

"My gun has killed less people than Ted Kenneddy's car"
2005SilveradoSSAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Hmm... I've noticed that too. I have my QTEC (Quick Time Electric Cutout - by QTP) mounted where the plates go in my Borla CB and noticed the drone with manifolds IS more than with LTs. The LTs are just plain louder, but I like the sound better.

There's something like DFM or something like that too. I would kinda' stray away from butterfly cutouts, at least like my QTEC (again, the QTP cutout). It doesn't seal great, and I don't really care about it because the exhaust just goes out that leg of the CB, but if you're planning on dumping under the car, I think the noise will be more apparent and eventually, more irritating. I'd definately put a turndown in, for sure, but, like was already mentioned, be worried about exhaust gas.

Hey Hilton - regarding the resonator you mentioned, are you talking about the ones near the center of the car, or just aft of the manifolds? I can't tell if we have four cats', but could swear I remember reading the car actually has two cats', so I'm wondering if the other pair I've seen are just pup cats' or indeed resonators. I'm a little confused about what they are supposed to be. I wonder, though, if putting the cutouts closer to the 02s, like no less than 13-inches or so, would be okay too. I know that having the 02s exposed to open air can screw with them, but know of many who run them not far past header collectors; I'm just wondering. I don't plan on going this route - just curious
DMH -
http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm
Old 04-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #21
SAUCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005SilveradoSSAWD View Post
Hate to hijack the thead, but Sauce...that Camaro in your sig is sexy as hell. I hope we see the aftermarket coming out with stuff like that
dont really care for the front clip. I just like how she sets on her feet

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth
Old 04-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
THAT'S IT!!! Thanks Milk'

Quote:
dont really care for the front clip. I just like how she sets on her feet
That's a bad@$$ sig'

I forget who another company is, but there's one that I remember that has a sliding cutout that it would seem would leak less, if any at all. I'm not sure how the DMHs are, but I recall hearing really good things about them. I know QTP has a bunch of little add-ons and such but I just want a cutout that doesn't leak, and opens and closes reliably when I want it to. The closer it is to the manifold, the better, power-wise, but you gotta' watch those 02s.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #23
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Here's more.
http://www.racereadyperformance.com/...ection=Welcome
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...11529_-1_10245
Old 04-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #24
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=cut
read the whole thread...

then check post 20....

replace the resonators with cutouts.... my plan at first. till the LT's go in the car
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #25
MTron

Quote:
Well, since i want to keep this car fully street legal, as well as for emissions tests i dont plan on foolin with the cats. As for the aftermarket exhaust, i dont really see the need for one, i mean, sure the stock resonators might be able to be improved, but the pipes already look to be of a decent size, i id rather just replace the mufflers for a better sound, but im going to accomplish that with the cutouts, and if i ever go the route of headers i think i would try to use as much of the stock pipes as possible to save money.

Anyways, as for the original reason for the thread....i guess the consensus is that the best place would be before the rear axle, or somewhere in that region. I think i would also include a small section of turn-down for good measure