Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
tooslow
Banned
 
Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,007
Scott (Fbodfather), what say you...

Will the ZL1 have an electronically limited top speed in production models? I would assume yes, but would like your input.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Rice Killer
Cooter
 
Rice Killer's Avatar
 
Drives: my wife crazy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SW WI
Posts: 570
I'm not Scott or know what he knows but it would be safe to assume that the auto will cut out at 175 and the manual should not have a limiter. This is based off of the CTS-V.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,186
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Killer View Post
I'm not Scott or know what he knows but it would be safe to assume that the auto will cut out at 175 and the manual should not have a limiter. This is based off of the CTS-V.
I'd say this is a sound guess.

And I'll also add that I think this might fall under the "details that have not been revealed yet"
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
tooslow
Banned
 
Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,007
True. I was not asking what that limit might be, simply if there was going to be one. I didn't think that would be any sort of secret to reveal.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,186
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
True. I was not asking what that limit might be, simply if there was going to be one. I didn't think that would be any sort of secret to reveal.
You'd be surprised what they might consider a secret.

Consider this...fwiw....factory-spec powertrain ZL1 was able to reach 174 on the straight portion of Nurburgring Nordschiefe.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #6
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro
 
Scarrzz's Avatar
 
Drives: Suzuki Hayabusa
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana, CO, GA, TX, etc.
Posts: 2,014




(had to be said)
__________________
.
__________________________________
................................................The Faithful are Watching.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
MMC

 
MMC's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spencerport, NY
Posts: 1,007
My guess is it will be limited to the speed rating of the tires, just like any car. They have to limit their liability if a tire fails.
__________________
MMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #8
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'
 
FL1CK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chula Vista, CA (Eastlake)
Posts: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You'd be surprised what they might consider a secret.

Consider this...fwiw....factory-spec powertrain ZL1 was able to reach 174 on the straight portion of Nurburgring Nordschiefe.
173 according to the video
__________________
I am not childish, you're just being a poopy head!
FL1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
IROCanSS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 89 IROC 350
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Back roads, southern Ohio
Posts: 12,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
My guess is it will be limited to the speed rating of the tires, just like any car. They have to limit their liability if a tire fails.
Correct... but that doesn't hold true to the SS which is limited at 155 by the factory...

The tire is a ZR20 106Y - this means that the tire is a Z rated tire, meaning the top speed is in excess of 149 mph. The 106 is the load rating... but the most important number is the Y. This is the top speed the tire was tested at in excess of 149 mph. A Y rated tire is good to a verified test speed of 186 mph. I am wondering what super cars have as tires or... Y is the last rating, up to 186 and we know a good number of cars exceed that number. I do not expect the ZL1 to break 186 mph due to aerodynamics and weight.

Not sure why they limited the SS 30 mph below the tire rating...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC
 
2012ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 1,701
It would not make sense to limit the ZL1
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
91Z28350
 
Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Roanoke,TX
Posts: 665
What is the tire rating of the CTS-V? Seems to me that is a good car to base guesses on, since it has basicallly the same drivetrain.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10
 
its a syn's Avatar
 
Drives: Longest things on Earth
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albia,Iowa
Posts: 3,773
sucks that they will limit me to 186 on Iowa roads WTF!!!!
__________________
its a syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,186
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rage View Post
173 according to the video
Good catch...I dunno where I got "4" from...hmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
I do not expect the ZL1 to break 186 mph due to aerodynamics and weight.
CTS-V is said to have a theoretical top speed of 191mph. I think the ZL1 will 'theoretically' be able to exceed that...

Not sure why they limited the SS 30 mph below the tire rating...
If I were to make a guess....I'd say it's limited based on high-speed stability/price...a 1SS is so attainable...as a manufacturer, I'd be seriously concerned that most drivers would try to reach that speed. And perhaps the SS isn't all that stable at speeds of 155+...all guesses on my part.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #14
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
Correct... but that doesn't hold true to the SS which is limited at 155 by the factory...

The tire is a ZR20 106Y - this means that the tire is a Z rated tire, meaning the top speed is in excess of 149 mph. The 106 is the load rating... but the most important number is the Y. This is the top speed the tire was tested at in excess of 149 mph. A Y rated tire is good to a verified test speed of 186 mph. I am wondering what super cars have as tires or... Y is the last rating, up to 186 and we know a good number of cars exceed that number. I do not expect the ZL1 to break 186 mph due to aerodynamics and weight.

Not sure why they limited the SS 30 mph below the tire rating...
Great info again IROCanSS Well, the last letter in the alphabet is Z. Hopefully someone can provide an answer to your question so that we all may understand the tire ratings for speed beyond 186. As a side note <sarcasim alert> I would like to add that Scarrzz has two ZZ's in his name, and he's already done 186 on two wheels <dude's got some brass ones dosen't he?LOL> That measily 'ol 186 number on four tires ain't didly compared to two. We'll get an answer soon. There are those pushing the envelope who will quickly exceed the factory "limitations". I for one will not, but am willing to ride shotgun...heh-heh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
sucks that they will limit me to 186 on Iowa roads WTF!!!!
....now that's funny!
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scott aka Fbodfather will be close to BC Merc Canada 32 07-13-2011 04:28 PM
* * THANKS TO SCOTT SETTLEMIRE (FbodFather) FOR ALL YOU'VE DONE * * KevinK 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 174 10-28-2010 04:41 PM
Fbodfather or Camaro Scott, Question. Scott@Bjorn3D 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 13 01-11-2009 11:06 AM
Fbodfather - Scott Settlemire Talks About Camaro Progress On Corvette Forum camaro5 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 7 12-07-2008 06:35 PM
Q&A with fbodfather (Scott Settlemire) regarding upcoming Camaro JustinZS 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 22 05-20-2008 07:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.