Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Painting Exhaust

Has anyone painted their exhaust before? Pipes and mufflers? The reason I'm asking is because I'm buying a used exhaust setup and it has a little bit of surface rust and I'm going to be sanding it off then painting it with an engine enamel to protect it from rust again. Just curious if anyone has done this before! Post pics if you have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk but not while driving
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2014 1SS 1LE
The exhaust setup you purchased isn't stainless? People have painted the stick mufflers before, there's a couple diy about it.

Sent from somewhere on the road.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
Trentin24
Trentin24

It is stainless. It's just surface rust and the rust is where the welds were.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I painted my tips. It wasn't hard, just had to sand/prep the surface and use the proper paint.

I can post pics of mine in the morning.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and Gary's customs bowties, painted emblems and taillight bezels

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport sways, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, high-flow cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:34 AM   #5
Trentin24
Trentin24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
I painted my tips. It wasn't hard, just had to sand/prep the surface and use the proper paint.

I can post pics of mine in the morning.

Please do! I've done a lot of painting so I know what it takes to prep something to make sure it's done right. I'm just trying to protect from rust.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I sanded the s*** out of the tips before I did anything (left one is sanded, right one is how it originally looked).

Here is a pic of how they look almost 6 months later. There is some minor chipping around the lip, but I think that was more because I didn't sand that area as well as I should have. I used a high-temp ceramic paint typically used for headers.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and Gary's customs bowties, painted emblems and taillight bezels

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport sways, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, high-flow cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote