Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #51
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocketSS View Post
This is interesting. Nobody has been able to tell me why my car makes these popping/clunking noises since I installed the lowering springs.

Maybe I'll order the new isolators if their fairly cheap and see if it helps.
Less than $20 for two Chevrolet list price last I checked.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #52
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Any chance you took some pics?
Sorry, no pics. Didn't even think about this thread while we did it. It wasn't anything dramatic though. Just a light scraping of the powdercoat in one area. The "mod" wasn't anything dramatic either. Just a huge pair of channel locks and a very slight bend on the outer lip of the lower perch.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #53
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Sorry, no pics. Didn't even think about this thread while we did it. It wasn't anything dramatic though. Just a light scraping of the powdercoat in one area. The "mod" wasn't anything dramatic either. Just a huge pair of channel locks and a very slight bend on the outer lip of the lower perch.
How many miles on your SS?
Do you know the build date?
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #54
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
How many miles on your SS?
Do you know the build date?
Just rolled 19k over and it's a Nov/dec 09 build. Not sure of the actual date. It does have the black upper insulator though.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #55
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Just rolled 19k over and it's a Nov/dec 09 build. Not sure of the actual date. It does have the black upper insulator though.
Good info so far. Can you please measure your ride heights at all four wheels? Your Camaro should be as empty as it was new with a 1/4 tank of fuel. It should be resting on the flattest surface you can find. Make sure the suspension is relaxed i.e. the front wheels should not be turned straight with the car not moving We measure rim to guard. Place the end of the tape on the lower rim lip. Measure up through the wheel center to the painted edge of the fender. Measuring in MM is good.

__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #56
ss/rssleeper
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Loganville, Georgia
Posts: 27
I had the same issue and all I can tell you is that when I installed Pfadt Adjustable Coilovers, the noise is gone. I got the same response from every dealership I took it to that the "bump" in the right front suspension is "normal" and every 2010 and 2011 Camaro. I don't think any abnormal noise is "normal" and Chevrolet should do a recall. If Chevrolet is saying other wise as in the thread above, then the dealerships are telling "us loyal customers" a different and discouraging message.
ss/rssleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #57
Camaro_h
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KWT
Posts: 2,536
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_h
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjon9657 View Post
i don't know if anyone else has had experience from time to time depending on what type of bump it is; my front suspension makes a popping sound, almost sounds like the struts. any suggestions on what it might be?
------

Ive experienced this poppin' front suspension noise in cold weather conditions, if you noticed, it goes away in warm conditions or after long driving. When the top strut mounts are cold, the elements are hard, which causes this phenomenon. You may also find the mounts leaking or cracked.
Camaro_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #58
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGER BEE View Post
So by getting rid of the the 2010 and getting the 2011 solved the problem, it tells you then that their is a problem with the 2010 and for GM not acknowledge there was a problem going on to change the strut assembly on the 2011 really proves they screwed up in the 2010 design and now we are stuck with this until we dump the car.
Please post the part numbers that are different for the front strut on the 10 and 11.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #59
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,481
He traded car with a noise for a car without a noise with the same parts. Did he get rid of his noise, yes.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #60
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGER BEE View Post
So you are telling me that the strut assembly wasn't to blame for the noise he had.Didn't GM change tower structure, it looks different
There is NO change to the strut assembly or the area that the strut assembly mounts to. Order a strut mount for a 2010, 2011. 2012 or 2013 5th Gen and you get the same strut mount assembly. It is the same mount they use at Buick.

The ONLY change that was made to the strut assembly was to move from a rubber upper coil insulator to a urethane upper coil insulator. When we install Xa coilovers, we through those in the stack of spare parts with NO noise.

It isn't the parts. It is loose nuts and bolts or a wron or broken part. A properly functioning front Camaro does not make noise other than a hydraulic flutter. What you see in this thread are a wide range of cars. Some stock and some modified. Bring me 10 5th Gens with this noise on the same day and a group of interested people. We'll see what happens.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #61
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie
 
Synergy SATX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Zl1 & 2010 Ltd. Ed. Synergy V6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 856
I think I captured the clunk. Listen to the car as stops at the beginning of the video. I still get it at random times. I don't hear it anymore, I just am used to it and so it doesn't bother me that much. Now wife's latest desire to hit cones...that is something Pedders actually made worse.

__________________
Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #62
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
I think I captured the clunk. Listen to the car as stops at the beginning of the video. I still get it at random times. I don't hear it anymore, I just am used to it and so it doesn't bother me that much. Now wife's latest desire to hit cones...that is something Pedders actually made worse.

I know that noise was not in your car when we took your test drive. It is hands down the worst noise I have heard to date. I am thinking it could be an engine mount. Worse it could be a loose caliper. Your engine won't fall out, but I have seen what happens when a caliper comes off. Until you check the caliper bolts don't drive it. Please bring your car into Heath's. We'll do a complete inspection for safe and secure and then put the chassis ears on it and track it down. That sound is not the clunk or pop that people are talking about in this thread. It is loud and a clear indicator that something is wrong. Be CAREFUL and give me a call so we can get you in to Heath's a.s.a.p.

O 248.522.8021
M 616.834.8100

We will not charge you for anything but GM parts if they are required.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #63
L99CAMA2011


 
L99CAMA2011's Avatar
 
Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Masachusetts
Posts: 2,694
Found out from my dealership that GM made as to date 3 revisions of the strut mount so far if this helps. My personal belief is that this popping sound originates from within the 2010s and early 2011s strut mounts making it hard to distinguish where the noise came from. Try going to the parts dept. give the parts guy a vin of say a 2012 SS and get the strut mount for that 2012 application and maybe this would fix the problem.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #64
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie
 
Synergy SATX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Zl1 & 2010 Ltd. Ed. Synergy V6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I know that noise was not in your car when we took your test drive. It is hands down the worst noise I have heard to date. I am thinking it could be an engine mount. Worse it could be a loose caliper. Your engine won't fall out, but I have seen what happens when a caliper comes off. Until you check the caliper bolts don't drive it. Please bring your car into Heath's. We'll do a complete inspection for safe and secure and then put the chassis ears on it and track it down. That sound is not the clunk or pop that people are talking about in this thread. It is loud and a clear indicator that something is wrong. Be CAREFUL and give me a call so we can get you in to Heath's a.s.a.p.

O 248.522.8021
M 616.834.8100

We will not charge you for anything but GM parts if they are required.
Hmmm. So now I am worried. My morning has just taken a dramatic turn.
__________________
Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #65
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
Hmmm. So now I am worried. My morning has just taken a dramatic turn.
I am headed over to the shop.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #66
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie
 
Synergy SATX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Zl1 & 2010 Ltd. Ed. Synergy V6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 856
Well what we have discovered...is Das Peach House makes a full tray of cobbler even in the middle of the week.

Thanks to Pete for making the drive down to investigate my Bigfoot-like noise (heard only on a blurry video but no sign of it in person). We tightened, checked, re-checked and drove around but nothing seems to have surfaced. What I thought was the noise everyone is reporting in this thread turns out to be much more but much more elusive as to what it is. One thing was proven, customer service from Pedders was to me, epic.

Thanks again to Heath and Pete.

As soon as it squeaks funny again, I will let you know. Two days of autocross this weekend may produce something.
__________________
Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #67
Info@PeddersUSA.com
 
Info@PeddersUSA.com's Avatar
 
Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 1,904
I think you will be all set.
I'm sorry for not posting sooner.

I talked to Pete after he had worked on your car, and i'm 90% sure that he fixed it.

Tell me if what i describe sounds like the noise that your hearing,
Makes the noise when braking, but only once,
Makes the noise when braking in reverse, or when first put in reverse, but only once.
Makes the noise when you hit a pothole or something, but not over larger less shocking bumps.
doesn't make the noise when turning the wheels after the noise has happen.
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #68
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie
 
Synergy SATX's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Zl1 & 2010 Ltd. Ed. Synergy V6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@PeddersUSA.com View Post
I think you will be all set.
I'm sorry for not posting sooner.

I talked to Pete after he had worked on your car, and i'm 90% sure that he fixed it.

Tell me if what i describe sounds like the noise that your hearing,
Makes the noise when braking, but only once,
Makes the noise when braking in reverse, or when first put in reverse, but only once.
Makes the noise when you hit a pothole or something, but not over larger less shocking bumps.
doesn't make the noise when turning the wheels after the noise has happen.
Pretty accurate. The noise is very random. Not able to produce it if we try.
__________________
Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #69
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
Well what we have discovered...is Das Peach House makes a full tray of cobbler even in the middle of the week.

Thanks to Pete for making the drive down to investigate my Bigfoot-like noise (heard only on a blurry video but no sign of it in person). We tightened, checked, re-checked and drove around but nothing seems to have surfaced. What I thought was the noise everyone is reporting in this thread turns out to be much more but much more elusive as to what it is. One thing was proven, customer service from Pedders was to me, epic.

Thanks again to Heath and Pete.

As soon as it squeaks funny again, I will let you know. Two days of autocross this weekend may produce something.
And cobbler it is!

What we found is not all that unusual in a part time track / part time daily driver Camaro or any car for that matter -- nuts that looked tight that were not tight.

Our new sway bars come with fixed lateral locks as opposed to our earlier bar that used clamp on lateral locks. We had revised the mounting procedure for those and added a spacer. We could find no trace marks of contact, but as long as we had the car, why not.

In the front of the 5th Gen there are three ball studs bolted to the knuckle on each side. On the driver's side the LCA ball stud took 3.5 turns. Out of the six total between both side 5 of the 6 took one full turn. Only the radius arms had been touched sine the car left the assembly line. One did not move the other took a turn.

Radius bush bolts were both pretty tight, but we still got a half turn on each.

Synergy SATX has Pedders OE Quiet High Efficiency Endlinks. One jam nut was loose. One ball stud nut took three turns.

The brake caliper bolts and transmission mount bolts were all tight.

As far as we know, the engine mounts have not been touched since they left the factory. Using a 3/8 drive ratchet the upper and lower engine mount bolts took 1 to 2 turns. The same was true of the engine mount bolts to the engine.

In the rear, the differential had been replaced under warranty. The front two bolts were tight the rear bolt took a little more than a turn.

On the top side, we removed the strut retaining nut and the retaining plate to access the jam nut. We put one turn on each.

Have we fixed the loud clunk that is unmistakeable on the GoPro video? We are not sure. We could not produce the noise before or after the inspection. Time will tell.

This is a great opportunity to remind everyone that drags, auto crosses or road courses their 5th Gen to check your nuts before you go on track. In your suspension and driveline nuts and bolts vibrate and work can work loose. The best practice is to check them before and after every event.

We'll check Synergy SATX's Camaro any time he wants as long as he bring the peach cobbler
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #70
Info@PeddersUSA.com
 
Info@PeddersUSA.com's Avatar
 
Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 1,904
I've had a few G8's that had the same type of noise, some of them were very consistent, while the others were only every now and then.

On each of them we found the lower ball joint on the radius arm to be either bad or not tightened enough.

On the cars that the ball joint was not tight enough it would make the noise every now and then, but typically followed my post above. Once tightened the cars typically did not make the noise again.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to check your car out,
The cars that
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #71
blackswan

 
blackswan's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nearby
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
...Those funny looking formed washers in the engine bay that stick up 1/2" above the strut towers are the strut retainers. If they were not there, the struts would literally fall out if you jacked the car up. ...
What I don't get, on my car at least, is if I jack it up the those funny looking formed washers don't sit on the to of the fender? They are about 1/8" off of it, so I still don't get why there are marks from them hitting the fender.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #72
blackswan

 
blackswan's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nearby
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Found out from my dealership that GM made as to date 3 revisions of the strut mount so far if this helps. My personal belief is that this popping sound originates from within the 2010s and early 2011s strut mounts making it hard to distinguish where the noise came from. Try going to the parts dept. give the parts guy a vin of say a 2012 SS and get the strut mount for that 2012 application and maybe this would fix the problem.
Don't bother, my 2012 makes the noise.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #73
STINGER BEE


 
STINGER BEE's Avatar
 
Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Great White North*****
Posts: 2,252
Same here, I ask this question awhile back,they have to be traveling up and down the full length of the strut to have it come against the strut tower leaving those black circle on the tower.Almost want you to believe the struts is bottoming out and sounds like a defective strut.I just don't get it.I'll find out if the insulator helps in a week or so when the dealer replaces them,I will keep you posted.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
What I don't get, on my car at least, is if I jack it up the those funny looking formed washers don't sit on the to of the fender? They are about 1/8" off of it, so I still don't get why there are marks from them hitting the fender.
__________________
RUMBLE BEE
STINGER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #74
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGER BEE View Post
Same here, I ask this question awhile back,they have to be traveling up and down the full length of the strut to have it come against the strut tower leaving those black circle on the tower.Almost want you to believe the struts is bottoming out and sounds like a defective strut.I just don't get it.I'll find out if the insulator helps in a week or so when the dealer replaces them,I will keep you posted.
The retaining plates articulate when the front wheels turn. Have some one start your car and turn the wheels side to side while you watch the retaining plates from the front of the car. You'll see where the black marks come from.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #75
STINGER BEE


 
STINGER BEE's Avatar
 
Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Great White North*****
Posts: 2,252
Pete, what do you mean by articulate,you mean they actually don't move evenly cw/ccw as you turn the steering wheel,theirs quite a gap there and for it to scuff against the tower,this is normal for this type of front system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The retaining plates articulate when the front wheels turn. Have some one start your car and turn the wheels side to side while you watch the retaining plates from the front of the car. You'll see where the black marks come from.
__________________
RUMBLE BEE
STINGER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5th Gen Suspension -- The Book JusticePete Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 148 09-04-2013 02:28 PM
Gap in front suspension nut after springs installed lelzie Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 9 07-11-2011 01:21 PM
Popping sound from front right side BaylorCamaro Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 8 01-12-2011 10:45 PM
GM Reveals 2011 Chevrolet Silverado HD FenwickHockey65 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 55 03-04-2010 01:56 PM
2010 Camaro SS V8 in Syracuse NY-FREE TRAVEL TO PICKUP Mitsubishi in Syracuse Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 0 12-10-2009 04:23 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.