Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Drives: 2013 Zl1 & 2010 Ltd. Ed. Synergy V6
Concerned about tire rub during autocross UPDATED

Take a look at his pic of my wife (and son pondering his date for his full driver's license) as they are pushing our new Pedders suspension. I am concerned about tire rub on the hard corners. Think this is too low of stance for autocross? First pic is hard turn and second is hard slow leading into a turn.
Attached Images

Last edited by Synergy SATX; 11-13-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Synergy SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE Ashen Grey
Depends on how much drop you're interested in. I have lowered mine one inch with Eibach springs, and have done quite a few AutoX runs with no issues. If you run sway bars too, it helps level off some of the lean.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Well, looks like you've already put it through its paces on the course. If you don't see any rub marks on the tires, then you should be OK in the future.

But like So Cal says, the stiffer your suspension, the more drop your Camaro can handle.
BMR adjustable toe-rods. Pedders ZL1 barz, rear cradle inserts, radius arm & steering rack bushings.
Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace (minus tunnel cross-over piece for SCCA rules)
1LE 3.91 gearzzz. Drive Shaft Shop Road Race Axle Upgrade. TurnOne power steering pump.
Forgeline GA3-R 19x11 + Hoosier R6 315/30R19
426 HP @ 5550 RPM / 427 TQ @ 4700 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2010 camaro
If you haven't alraedy I would put a set of sway bars on the car from the look of the pics.If you have Adjustable bars on it I would set them stiffer.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce@raymondsperformance View Post
If you haven't alraedy I would put a set of sway bars on the car from the look of the pics.If you have Adjustable bars on it I would set them stiffer.
Pedders solution B. Rear set hard, front normal (older sway bar with only three options). I was told better autocross setting is soft front hard in the back. So I have Xa coilovers and maybe just raise the stance some? Looks like I had some rub after the event.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
sting808

Drives: 4 wheels
I have the same. SwaybarB, FR=Soft, RR stiff. XA set to 12/10. Running CCW 20x10,20x11.5 using Invo 275/40 & 315/35. Car dropped around 1". Still looks good while address most driveway/curbs. Car has minimal body roll compared to stock.

Front
-1.0* camber (now -1.2*)
6.8* caster
.something toe(can't remember, but near stock)

Rear
0* camber
0* toe

No fender tire rub, but had to fill to 45 psi to address soft sidewalls. Car still understeers. Will be trying softer front and stiffer rear dampening to see if that helps understeer. Last solo course was slalom city.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
Pedders solution B. Rear set hard, front normal (older sway bar with only three options). I was told better autocross setting is soft front hard in the back. So I have Xa coilovers and maybe just raise the stance some? Looks like I had some rub after the event.
What you have sounds good,I would raise the height up slightly to help with the rub then use the shock adjustments to fine tune it.The bar settings sound good for auto crossing.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 JDP Track Spec Camaro
Quote:
With the OEM tires I don't think you'll have any rubbing issues. When you look in the inner wheel well do you have rubber marks? In terms of your settings that is 100% correct. You want to run it soft in the front and stiffer in the rear. The settings will be dependent on the surface as well as the course but that is the beauty of having a fully adjustable suspension. The picture below is my car loaded on the track and even with the OEM tires tucked I'm not rubbing. If the tire is rolling over it might appear like you have a rub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting808 View Post
I have the same. SwaybarB, FR=Soft, RR stiff. XA set to 12/10. Running CCW 20x10,20x11.5 using Invo 275/40 & 315/35. Car dropped around 1". Still looks good while address most driveway/curbs. Car has minimal body roll compared to stock.

Front
-1.0* camber (now -1.2*)
6.8* caster
.something toe(can't remember, but near stock)

Rear
0* camber
0* toe

No fender tire rub, but had to fill to 45 psi to address soft sidewalls. Car still understeers. Will be trying softer front and stiffer rear dampening to see if that helps understeer. Last solo course was slalom city.
I would suggest 8-12 front and 15-20 rear on the damping settings depending on the course and surface; tire compound also plays into these settings as well. I generally run 28-34 PSI depending on the surface with the OEM tires. It looks like you have aftermarket wheels and tires, what are you running?

I would also run the following alignment settings:

Front
-1.2* to -1.5* camber
-1/16" - 1/8" toe-in
7.5* to 8.5* caster

Rear
-.8* to -1.0* camber
0 to -1/16" toe-in

These setting will help your tire roll over issue and you'll have better overall corner grip. You have to be careful with rear camber as too much will affect the ability to put power down. Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 10-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

I am a novice at the suspension AND autocross thing so I appreciate all the feedback and patience. I was set 20/24 for the autocross. Stock tires/wheels (wheels are black chromed so they look a little different). I use the car as a daily driver as well so will any of these camber/ caster/ toe adjustments affect the daily driver driving?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Update. All is well. Very very well. Proof here. Thank you all for the help and advice.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #11
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
Awesome vids... I just found out Youtube has an IN BROWSER video editor... I edited my vid here...

I'm going to have to do a shot from behind the wheel... after I get a few runs in... haha my first run was terrible.

Anyways, it was fun to see you all out there. See you sunday at HH.
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Is it actually Rubbing? Or are you just worried that it might?
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
I have Hotchkis stuff and running 275 tire up front and have no rubbing ..as well as the 315 in the back nothing rubs..
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #14
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 JDP Track Spec Camaro
Quote:
Update. All is well. Very very well. Proof here. Thank you all for the help and advice.
Sweet!!!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 11-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@PeddersUSA.com View Post
Is it actually Rubbing? Or are you just worried that it might?
All good. We thought we had issues but we are fine. Did some adjustments and it has been handling very well now. I just wanted to say thanks for the help and advice for the rookies here (Mrs and I).
Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #16
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
All good. We thought we had issues but we are fine. Did some adjustments and it has been handling very well now. I just wanted to say thanks for the help and advice for the rookies here (Mrs and I).
OK tell the truth. Who is faster?
Old 11-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #17
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
OK tell the truth. Who is faster?
Well I am still a novice up in Harris Hill Road....she got bumped up to the next higher class the first day she went...so the blue sticker on my windshield that she earned doesn't lie...I am on helluva sponsor for my driver .
Old 11-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
JusticePete

Quote:
Well I am still a novice up in Harris Hill Road....she got bumped up to the next higher class the first day she went...so the blue sticker on my windshield that she earned doesn't lie...I am on helluva sponsor for my driver .
That is sooo cool. At the risk of stereotyping, women tend to have a lighter touch while men muscle their Muscle Cars. The light touch translates to smooth. Smooth is fast. Momentum is what creates good laps. I would like to know what your perspective is. Have you been a passenger with Mrs. driving?
Old 11-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #19
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
That is sooo cool. At the risk of stereotyping, women tend to have a lighter touch while men muscle their Muscle Cars. The light touch translates to smooth. Smooth is fast. Momentum is what creates good laps. I would like to know what your perspective is. Have you been a passenger with Mrs. driving?
Not at Harris Hill but in AutoX yup. Her success is my flaw. Once I hit the turns better and learned braking/acceleration I became too aggressive. All my timing got off. She starts easy and progresses with success vs. my outright "push the envelop" approach. Once I hit turns with consistency I should improve.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #20
JusticePete

Quote:
Not at Harris Hill but in AutoX yup. Her success is my flaw. Once I hit the turns better and learned braking/acceleration I became too aggressive. All my timing got off. She starts easy and progresses with success vs. my outright "push the envelop" approach. Once I hit turns with consistency I should improve.
When your instructor turns white because you are braking so late he is sure God is waiting in the corner... I understand completely. I am still trying to get this clear in my head. There was only one Dale Earnhardt and I am not him
Old 11-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #21
Mrs Synergy SATX
Debbie

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Won't take him long and his times will leave me in the dust. I just got a head start on this.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #22
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Synergy SATX View Post
Won't take him long and his times will leave me in the dust. I just got a head start on this.
My wife's name is Debbie so I already like you I have three daughters and I hope one of them has the 'touch' and will run circles around me. It may be a be dated, but YOU GO GIRL