Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Protomanx8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS A6 ABM
Finding the right coilovers ?

Tittle says it all I'm in the market for coilovers and wanted to hear what people have and the pros and cons! Also cost.

Thanks!
Protomanx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: '13 WRX STi
If you want Bang for your back, you should check out BC Racing Coil Overs.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
I would love to give you a detailed description of my ride. I went with the BC coil over ER series. I ordered them just 3 days ago. BC just came out a couple of months ago with the ER series. Best $$price for coil overs. Take a look at Auto Agenda web site, way under $2k and the other coil overs are above that by a considerable amount. That being said I don't have mine installed. I think you are going to find that the vendors that sell X brand will say they are the best and that the people that have X brand on their cars are going to say they are the best. All I'm saying is that the BC ER series is the cheapest with the most options. Also there is a rumor that they (BC) use to make coil overs for some of the other name brands. Do your research and make up your own mind.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protomanx8 View Post
Tittle says it all I'm in the market for coilovers and wanted to hear what people have and the pros and cons! Also cost.

Thanks!
It all depends on how you use your car and what features you are after. Do you drag race, autoX, cruise town, etc.? Is it a daily driver, weekend toy, dedicated race car? The answers to these kinds of questions will help determine what coil overs are best for you and your application. Without them, all you are going to get is a popularity vote on what members that happen to be online at the moment have or vendors are trying to sell.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Man that a really tough question to answer.

Our vendors here don't really sell any junk...

In order to help us, Like Chase said, Give us some more details on what you expect from any suspension and we can then give you a better lead in the right direction.

But for some general information here's what I've seen from watching the boards.

Pedders and Pfadt have a TON of GM knowledge and understanding, not only of the stock setup, but what it takes to make your car competitive also.

BC Is a cost effective way to get into coilovers but they are just now becoming popular with camaro owners.

I think there may be a few of the fabricators that have their own coilovers... LMR and MTI come to mind IIRC...

I'd look to the builders as well Lingenfelter, Hennessey, Vengeance, MTI, They not only build cars but sell a lot of aftermarket parts.... They'll be able to give you good feed back on what they like and don't like about each product.

Just to help you get pointed in the right direction.

Good Luck man!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Protomanx8

Thanks for all the responses. It's a Daily Driver that does go to the track. I will be putting a SC on it I'm the spring. So I'm trying to sure up everything .
Old 10-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's a Daily Driver that does go to the track. I will be putting a SC on it I'm the spring. So I'm trying to sure up everything .
I have a super charger on our shop car and have the Pedders XA coil overs.Pedders xa street kit is a good place to start,because when you add that super charger you will want to upgrade the rear sub frame bushes.When you buy the Pedders kit it comes with the coil overs and the bushing inserts and will save you a few $$ as a kit .Just something to think about and Pedders parts are GMPP.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
Protomanx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce@raymondsperformance View Post
I have a super charger on our shop car and have the Pedders XA coil overs.Pedders xa street kit is a good place to start,because when you add that super charger you will want to upgrade the rear sub frame bushes.When you buy the Pedders kit it comes with the coil overs and the bushing inserts and will save you a few $$ as a kit .Just something to think about and Pedders parts are GMPP.
How much is the kit?
Old 10-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06

The daily driver that sees occasional track time is the exact customer that our engineers at Pfadt designed our coilover system for. We wanted a bolt on system which requires no drilling that performed excellently on the street, enabled adjustable ride heights for an aggressive stance, and dampers that perform great on track.. The best way to meet our end goals were to design a damper specifically for the Camaro from the ground up, and that's exactly what we did.

Our coilovers are available in Drag race, Performance Street and GMPP certified editions. Most of our customers are running our Street edition coilovers because they provide enough flexibility to work in any situation... whether your looking for a comfortable street ride, spending time at the drag strip, or getting serious about Autox or Road Course use. No matter what you're doing with your car we have a coilover system that will work extremely well for you.

If you have any questions please let us know. We can definitely explain why we have the best single adjustable coilover product on the market! You can get a hold of us at 1-888-972-2464, our email address info@pfadtracing.com or simply send us a PM.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:

Thanks!
You have been doing your research on Camaro5 so I would like to point you to a great resource The Book on 5th Gen Suspension.

It all starts with the foundational components -- radius and sub-frame bushes. No matter what brand coilover or sway bar or blower you cannot get the most out of them until the foundation is addressed. Building on a solid foundation the next items on the list are coils, dampers, sway bars and endlinks. They add up fast, but because they all must function together they all must be addressed to deliver a well balanced result. Bruce nailed it with his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce@raymondsperformance View Post
This is why we package our parts together -- to deliver the best possible result for the owner. There is no better way to build a fanatically loyal customer base. Lingenfelter Performance Engineering made the switch to Pedders the most recent result is the L/28.

Lingenfelter L/28 Camaro

We wanted this to be a full amenity daily driver with a bad attitude on a road course. We think we have it covered from the normally aspirated N/A LS7 to the Pedders Supercars and everything in between.

Lingenfelter L/28 Camaro

• LPE LS7 Engine, 681HP @ 6700 RPM / 588 LB/FT @5600
• LPE Dry Sump Oiling System
• Tremec 6060 6 Speed Manual Transmission
• LPE Dual Disc Clutch and Flywheel
• LPE Clutch Return Spring Kit
• MTI Short Throw Shifter
• LPE Leather Shift Knob
• LPE 9.5” Differential, 373 Ratio with no preload TracRiteฎ GT – Helical Gear Limited Slip
• Driveshaft Shop HD 1400HP Axle Shafts
• LPE HD 2 Piece Driveshaft
• LPE Twin Fuel Pump Module with Electronic Control
• LPE Power Steering Cooler
• Be Cool Radiator
• American Racing Headers
• Custom Side Exit Exhaust with Magnaflow Mufflers
• LPE / Pedders SportsRyder Supercar Coil-over Suspension System, Sway Bars, Complete Bushing Package
• Brembo Brake System. Front 15” 2 Piece Rotor with 6 Piston Caliper, Rear 14” 2 Piece Rotor with 4 Piston caliper
• Forgeline Wheels, 20”X10.5”
• Michelin Tires, 305/35ZR20
• Lingenfelter Signature Body Kit, including front splitter, side skirts, rear diffuser, and rear spoiler
• Specter Werkes Extractor Hood
• Lingenfelter L/28 Graphics
• RPM Six Point Roll Bar
• Corbeau TRS Leather Seats and 5 Point Belts
• Lingenfelter CNC Pedal Pads

The L/28 is the ultimate Pedders package

A step above what Bruce has suggested would be the Camaro Pace Car Package. The on track Camaro Pace cars at INDY and NASCAR in 2010 and 2011 all ran on Pedders GMPP parts.

Pedders GMPP Pace Car Package
Coilovers 160086
Sub-Frame Inserts EP1200
Radius Bush Inserts RP6579
Sway BarsCAMAROSOLUTIONB
High Efficiency Endlinks 423201212 / 42601210

Sub-frame bushes
Radius bushes
Ride Height
Spring Rate
CG
Endlinks
Sway Bars
Service Before, During and After the Sale with Bruce

These are the same GMPP parts that Chevy ran on the 2010 and 2011 Pace Cars I'll ask Bruce to PM you a price on the Pace Car Package too.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
Nessal

Drives: Lotus Exige
I have the BC coilovers and I feel they are great for the street. But then I also feel that if you track it a lot, the springs needs to have a higher spring rate. The standard ones even at full stiff are still soft compared to other brands of coilovers that I've used in my previous cars. But I like my cars STIFF even on a daily driver. Rattles don't bug me one bit.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
If you want Bang for your back, you should check out BC Racing Coil Overs.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie RS View Post
I would love to give you a detailed description of my ride. I went with the BC coil over ER series. I ordered them just 3 days ago. BC just came out a couple of months ago with the ER series. Best $$price for coil overs. Take a look at Auto Agenda web site, way under $2k and the other coil overs are above that by a considerable amount. That being said I don't have mine installed. I think you are going to find that the vendors that sell X brand will say they are the best and that the people that have X brand on their cars are going to say they are the best. All I'm saying is that the BC ER series is the cheapest with the most options. Also there is a rumor that they (BC) use to make coil overs for some of the other name brands. Do your research and make up your own mind.
We sure appreciate your support Ron!

BC Racing ER Series Coilovers are at the pinnacle of performance, but not necessarily price. http://autoagenda.com/2010-camaro-bc...ries-coilovers
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #13
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 JDP Track Spec Camaro
Quote:

Thanks!
We've used and installed just about every coilover out there. As mentioned above there is more to getting your 5th gen set up than just coilovers. I strongly suggest Sub-Frame Mounts, Trailing Arms and Toe-Links, sway bars, rear upper c-arm bushings, front radius bushings along with coilovers. You don't have to do all of these components in one shot but you should make a plan and make sure the products you choose are going to work with future mods so you're not buying things twice. I've seen that happen a lot over the years so we like to figure out your ultimate goals and put together a plan.

Companies like BMR, Hotchkis, Pedders and Pfadt have packages that are all great in there own right. We've also taken various components from these great manufactures and created some great performing packages that have been tested and proven to work. What are the ultimate goals for your Camaro? Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 10-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
Kwik

Drives: car
I love my Pfadt coil-overs and sport sways!!