Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
yzrider

Drives: 2011 Camaro
cai inc installed...loss of mpg

So I installed my Cai inc intake and I've lost about 1 mpg. I was right at 15.5 and after I reset it with the intake install I'm at 14.2. Any suggestions on why this would happen. Also no i havent been stomping on it to hear that great rumble if anything I drive it nicer bc i wanted to see if there was an mpg difference. Also it says to pull the tube away from the throttle body slightly. How close is to close I pulled it off a little bit but not to far. Is tbe any harm in it being to close
yzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I've seen where vendors claim more mpg but I would like for someone to explain that to me. More air requires more fuel to make more power, which is what a cai is all about. Not sure how burning more fuel is going to increase mileage. If this were the case wouldn't these be OEM to start with? I've never checked my mileage but I would expect it to be worse. If you're only losing 1mpg i think that would be normal. Never heard about moving the tube around.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
eclipsen

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You will lose MPG when the temperature decreases. That would be my guess over the CAI.
As for the tube, I think they just don't want the throttle body and tube touching. It gives it room to flex. Give it about 1/8 to 1/4 inch clearance if you can.
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, 6M, ADM Race scoop, CAI intake, VMAX TB, Kooks LTs, Solo Mach X, MGW Shifter, Dynotech driveshaft, 1LE 3.91 gears with JRE updates, BMR bushings/Toe/Trailing Arms, Pedders ZL1 sways and XA Coilovers, Heritage Grill, Yenko side stripes, SS emblems, Havoc Rear Spoiler.
eclipsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Did you get a tune? My tuner had to adjust air/fuel ratios... I gained 2-3 mpg city with the CAI even with headers once those ratios were adjusted.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
Reloaded
Beasting off the Riesling

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS
It would likely be more efficient, as its pull in more air, which ='s less gas to make the combustion necessary to power the vehicle.

Also did you reset you MPG calc as soon as you installed it? It might take some time for the computer to "learn" the new CAI. A fresh reset will also give off readings, as the number will flux between high and low depending on driving conditions... ex highway local etc...
Reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Comparing MPG with anything is nearly impossible to get a proper reading. Air temperatures, humidity, fuel quality, traffic, excitement with your new found power, etc. They all will effect your average MPG, these things can change in 10 minutes, so its super hard to determine effectively on the street. It does take some time for the computer to adjust to the CAI, if I was you, I'd now drive it like normal (full throttle at times) for a while to get the computer used to it in all circumstances, then I would retry the fuel economy; but remember it probably won't be a good comparison, especially as eclipsen stated, winter is coming... :(

Having a CAI doesn't mean it gets more air, the throttle body blocks any unwanted air. If it got more air, it would go lean (bad) and it would add more fuel, and your RPM would go up. A CAI grabs colder air and allows it to enter the engine in a smoother and quicker way, which means the engine doesn't have to work as hard, pulling air into it, hence more power available and better fuel economy.

Correct about the intake tube, it cannot contact the throttle body for noise and vibration, which is why it needs to be pulled out slightly. An 1/8 inch gap would probably be all thats needed. As long as the clamp gets a good full hold on the pipe, you're fine.
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I had that same suspicion when it started getting cold last winter. I replaced the CAI with the stock one for a few weeks and did not notice any increase in mileage. It's a combination of 2 things, cold temps make the engine run less efficiently for longer, and winter blend fuel causes a slight mileage drop as well.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzrider View Post
So I installed my Cai inc intake and I've lost about 1 mpg. I was right at 15.5 and after I reset it with the intake install I'm at 14.2. Any suggestions on why this would happen. Also no i havent been stomping on it to hear that great rumble if anything I drive it nicer bc i wanted to see if there was an mpg difference. Also it says to pull the tube away from the throttle body slightly. How close is to close I pulled it off a little bit but not to far. Is tbe any harm in it being to close
How many tanks of fuel with the New CAI?

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Camaro tuner in Tampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Did you get a tune? My tuner had to adjust air/fuel ratios... I gained 2-3 mpg city with the CAI even with headers once those ratios were adjusted.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
vegas81

Drives: Chevy
You should get you car tuned, and if you do may i suggest a 160 stat as well. You should truly get your car tunes after any mod if you wanna get the best bang for your buck.
vegas81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
SilverSS3108

Drives: 2010 silver SS
mine dropped with my exhaust.... then dropped again with headers... then again with cai.... then yet again with a tune.... then I realized I was driving like I was 16 again and it started to rise back to the 20/24 mpg range as I stayed off the skinny pedal.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #12
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSS3108 View Post
mine dropped with my exhaust.... then dropped again with headers... then again with cai.... then yet again with a tune.... then I realized I was driving like I was 16 again and it started to rise back to the 20/24 mpg range as I stayed off the skinny pedal.
Thats typically the case!!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Did you happen to do a fuse pull when you installed the CAI, I did when I installed my Roto-Fab at C5F2 and driving back I noticed about a 2-3 mpg increase. A buddy also purchased a CAI intake at C5F3 and we did the fuse pull at the hotel, he also noticed similar results. I just like to pull fuses I do it to reset the computer any time I change anything on the car, as I feel it resets the baseline parameters. Just my 2 cents worth.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Also reset your mpg monitoring euip and start it over with the CAI. Otherwise it is calculating an average of every mile you have ever driven. Typically our customers see a 2 or 3 mpg increase.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote